Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jhawkkw
  • 1 Post By LS1BadBird

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): S2 Rooted, Nexus 7 (Shared So Stock) Galaxy W(Fiancees)
Carrier: Not Provided

Default game controllers

My apologies if there are many other threads similar but I'm struggling to find the full info I'm after.....

Basically I'm trying to find out the best/easiest way to use a console controller with the nexus on 4.2.1

My brother in law has a ps3 and Xbox 360, I have a Wii with classic controller(the golden eye one) I also have an old ps2 (the mini one) in the cupboard(was in the house when we moved in!)

I have ordered an otg usb cable but wanna play with it just now....are there any wireless methods available?

I would also prefer options without having to root....... it's not that I mind so much, but the Mrs doesn't really want me to, and from what I gather rooting this will mean having to wipe all info? (My s2 didn't have to be wiped!)

Thanks in advance :-)

sponsored links
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 5,841 Times in 3,298 Posts
jhawkkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sntaylor View Post
My apologies if there are many other threads similar but I'm struggling to find the full info I'm after.....

Basically I'm trying to find out the best/easiest way to use a console controller with the nexus on 4.2.1

My brother in law has a ps3 and Xbox 360, I have a Wii with classic controller(the golden eye one) I also have an old ps2 (the mini one) in the cupboard(was in the house when we moved in!)

I have ordered an otg usb cable but wanna play with it just now....are there any wireless methods available?

I would also prefer options without having to root....... it's not that I mind so much, but the Mrs doesn't really want me to, and from what I gather rooting this will mean having to wipe all info? (My s2 didn't have to be wiped!)

Thanks in advance :-)
It's not the rooting that wipes the device. The problem with is because since the bootloader is unencrypted and can be unlocked, it's just extremely easy to unlock it, install a custom recovery, and flash the su files in recovery. No need to deal with using risky exploits that could brick your device with one odd or wrong move. The unlocking of the bootloader is what wipes the device. That's why many who have experience say that if you have any plans to root, that the first thing you do with a nexus is unlock its bootloader so that the damage in virtually non-existent.
I have successfully used my ps3 controller with my tab thanks to an app called sixaxis controller in the play store, however this does require root. There are a couple of controllers out there that strictly use Bluetooth without an issue, but in order to use a ps3 or xbox controller wirelessly, you will need root.
sntaylor likes this.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4
Last edited by jhawkkw; January 7th, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
sntaylor (January 7th, 2013)
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member
Thread Author (OP)

Thanks, that was what I had read else where about both boot loader and controller :-( I may just take a hit and unlock it soon, as it is only a week old...hopefully she won't be to pi$$&d off....it is my birthday after all :-P
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

I use a wired 360 controller and have no complaints.
sntaylor likes this.
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: ATT and Deutsche Telecom

Rooting is a 1,2,3 affair. You will need it in the future for many different programs and the earlier you do it the better. Then there is no harm done.

But for your game controller, you will most likely need the OTG cable - how else will you attach it. There are though Bluetooth game controllers for little money: Newegg.com - bluetooth game controller
The Following User Says Thank You to whs37 For This Useful Post:
sntaylor (January 7th, 2013)
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have a similar game controller question. I bought the Gamestop bluetooth controller, and I can't seem to get it to connect with an emulator. It shows up as a pair device in my bluetooth settings. I've seen other forums with people saying they had no issues with this. Does anyone know if it only works with a stock rom? I'm running SmoothRom and am not sure if that's the problem.
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Tablet; Nexus7; ROM cyanogen (with twrp) Phone: Fujitsu Arrows NX F-06E
Carrier: Docomo

The only problem with nexus and using OTG cable is that you can't charge your device while you are using an OTG cable. I use sixaxis app with my PS3 controller and it works great. As others have said you can buy bluetooth controllers, there are some cool ones online like the moga and the icontrollpad both look like great bluetooth controllers for tablets/phones, and I doubt they need root to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to skelms For This Useful Post:
sntaylor (January 8th, 2013)
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member
Thread Author (OP)

Well I have gone and rooted, the wired controller kind of works.... I read that with the sixaxis app it is possible to map out where each button taps the screen accordingly..... how well does this work for paying emulator games, particularly golden eye 64?
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts

reading up on this too... guess i will need to order the OTG cable and a case to stand the nexus up.

DropBox: register for free space (we both get 500MB extra space): http://db.tt/sWYVl3j6
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Tablet; Nexus7; ROM cyanogen (with twrp) Phone: Fujitsu Arrows NX F-06E
Carrier: Docomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sntaylor View Post
Well I have gone and rooted, the wired controller kind of works.... I read that with the sixaxis app it is possible to map out where each button taps the screen accordingly..... how well does this work for paying emulator games, particularly golden eye 64?
I haven't tried the N64 emulator out, but my SNES emulator worked great for mapping buttons on the controller.
alot of games recognize that there is a controller connected (as long as you remember to switch the IME to sixaxis) like bards tale and grand theft auto vice city.
Also there are some profiles already made so you don't even have to bother taking screen shots and trying to line up the buttons its on the XDA forum here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1779386
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skelms For This Useful Post:
irishobo (January 22nd, 2013), sntaylor (January 9th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member
Thread Author (OP)

You Do You Go About Using The Mapped Out Setting? I Purchased Sixaxis Last Night, And Set Up The Controller As Planned.... I Got My Game Working Pretty Much As Planned, Only The Right Joy Stick Didn't Work, But It Works In Dead Trigger.
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts

reading the descrip of sixaxis..
it said if you have a non-SONY controller (copies/fakes).. then there might be issues. some off brands work.
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member
Thread Author (OP)

I believe the one I have is an official Sony one(well it says Sony and sixaxis.Lol)
Old January 19th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Has anyone tried out the iCade 8-Bitty bluetooth controller? I have a Gameboy emulator on my N7 and using the screen controls is horrible.

I was looking on thinkgeek.com at a few of their controllers, one is a SNES controller with a USB connection on it. I was wondering if that would work as well.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)