Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Google Play Music

I am having a difficult time with this app. I basically do not understand how it is supposed to work and the instructions are less than helpful. I thought that I could upload my library to the "cloud" and access same via the app.
Is that correct? if so, how?
Any help would be appreciated.
David

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 7,003 Times in 3,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhm View Post
I am having a difficult time with this app. I basically do not understand how it is supposed to work and the instructions are less than helpful. I thought that I could upload my library to the "cloud" and access same via the app.
Is that correct? if so, how?
Any help would be appreciated.
David
Welcome to the forums and hopefully I can answer your question.

What happens most of the time, they read your upload and connect it to something they already have in their cloud and sync that to your device to prevent over saturating their database. However, some people were getting conflicts when uploading non-censored songs and having them synced with censored versions. If that happens, you let them know and they will use your uploaded version. If what you upload something not in their database, then they just use that.

Once everything is uploaded, you can download and use the app to stream your songs via the app on up to 10 devices. This app also will play any music on the device itself. You also have the option to "pin" music located in the cloud and store them in cache for offline play.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus One, Nexus 7
Carrier: Mobile Vikings

To clarify: the app will play any mp3 on your device as long as it's not hidden, and stream your music from the cloud. To upload it to the cloud, you have to use the desktop application. Or perhaps a separate app from the Google Play Store, I can't recall which but someone can chime in with it.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid Eris, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 32 GB - Wifi, HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknologic View Post
To clarify: the app will play any mp3 on your device as long as it's not hidden, and stream your music from the cloud. To upload it to the cloud, you have to use the desktop application. Or perhaps a separate app from the Google Play Store, I can't recall which but someone can chime in with it.
You have to use the app on your PC to upload your music library. After that, just answer a few questions, and it figures out the rest. Just put more music in the folder(s) you told the Google Music application on your PC to watch to add new songs and they are uploaded automatically. Its actually pretty simple to set up.
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Default thanks all

i was not able to find that out from ant sdouce available to me, 'cept you all. thanks
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Be aware that the app crashes and will randomly stop playing far too frequently
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 12,569 Times in 7,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz462 View Post
Ive never had a single issues using the play music app, and thats the only one I use to play/manage my music library.

You may want to clear the apps cache
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
I have never had an issue with Google Music on either my phone or tablet. Works great.

Old January 10th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

I don't have any music on my Nexus 7, it's all streamed from Play Music or is automatically cached under the recently played section; this service is fantastic.

It took a while to get my library online (a combination of actual uploads and google matching as well as tidying up the cover art for some of them) but once done it's superb. I have more music to add over the coming weeks too.

Pretty much the best app Google offer in my opinion. But I agree, the set up side could be better; why can't you upload music that you have on your phone or tablet, why does it have to be from a PC?
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid Eris, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 32 GB - Wifi, HTC One M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridge View Post
I don't have any music on my Nexus 7, it's all streamed from Play Music or is automatically cached under the recently played section; this service is fantastic.

It took a while to get my library online (a combination of actual uploads and google matching as well as tidying up the cover art for some of them) but once done it's superb. I have more music to add over the coming weeks too.

Pretty much the best app Google offer in my opinion. But I agree, the set up side could be better; why can't you upload music that you have on your phone or tablet, why does it have to be from a PC?
I would assume maybe to slow piracy maybe (nothing is stopping you from getting the MP3's from others and putting them on your PC though)? Maybe to encourage you to use the Play Store? Who knows, it may just be Google doing that thing where they leave out a completely obvious and useful feature (like zooming in Gmail, which only took 3 years).
sponsored links
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
It happens to me too, but in my case, its usually just the app UI part, while the music service in the background continues on in the background.

Might be a cache issue. Might try clearing it.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
Ive never had a single issues using the play music app, and thats the only one I use to play/manage my music library.

You may want to clear the apps cache
Huh, I've had the same trouble on both my Nexus 7 and HTC Incredible, and have tried clearing cache and uninstalling and reinstalling without success. Just my bad luck I suppose.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)