Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Drogyn
  • 1 Post By AngryHatter
  • 1 Post By Demache
  • 1 Post By PlayfulGod

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: ATT and Deutsche Telecom

Default The N7 lacks hardware features

The other day I bought a Curtis Klu for $59 as a present for a friend. A really nice little tablet. It had a micro SD card reader, a seperate 3.5mm charging port, a seperate micro USB port and a real button that you could easily handle for power on/off.

I really don't understand why they did not put a micro SD card reader and a seperate port for the charger on the N7. And the buttons are so finagle that I still have trouble finding them. I would think that those two extra ports and a useable switch would have cost pennies to get them included.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old January 12th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One CleanROM 5.2, Nexus 7, Samsung Captivate Slim Bean RC1 (retired)
Carrier: AT&T

I agree that the button are awkwardly placed, and are a bit of a pain.

There is no SD slot because Google is moving away from SD support on Nexus devices. They think that it makes file management too confusing for the average consumer.

I've never heard of any phone or tablet having a separate charging port, and don't see why you would need one. If you want to transfer files over USB then the tablet can charge off of the USB port on your computer. You can also get apps like Airdroid that allow wifi file transfer.
Old January 12th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Droid 3 (rooted/debloated), Kindle Fire (rooted, overclocked, FFF/CWM), Nexus 7, (rooted/CWM touch)
Carrier: Verizon, WiFi via DD-WRT

To the original OP: If you weren't a regular, respected contributor, I'd have thought you were trolling

Of course there are features of the N7 that could have been designed better (or included at all, like the SD slot). Yet, it's all about tradeoffs, and there is no perfect tablet. If there was, it'd always be out of stock.

Compared to the Klu, the N7 has twice the screen pixels, twice the RAM, probably 4x the computing power, 4x the internal flash memory, front camera, GPS, etc. There are some that claim the KLU isn't recognized by the android market, making "Google Play" useless. So, again, there are tradeoffs.
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 Nexus 7 Unlocked and Rooted
Carrier: MetroPcs

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,080 Posts

what it dosnt have exterior wise it makes up in interior wise i can agree i wish they would of added a slot for added memory expansion and hdmi out or atleast the ability to connect a mhl hdmi cable to it. but thats ok im fine with being able to game hard on it lol.
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One using Nova Launcher, Nexus 7.2 using Nova Launcher
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whs37 View Post
The other day I bought a Curtis Klu for $59 as a present for a friend. A really nice little tablet. It had a micro SD card reader, a seperate 3.5mm charging port, a seperate micro USB port and a real button that you could easily handle for power on/off.

I really don't understand why they did not put a micro SD card reader and a seperate port for the charger on the N7. And the buttons are so finagle that I still have trouble finding them. I would think that those two extra ports and a useable switch would have cost pennies to get them included.
So you're saying that the Clu is a nice tablet and has features the Nexus 7 doesn't? I just looked at the Clu's specs. It has an 800 x 480 screen, no GPS, no camera at all, a slower processor and less memory. I think I can live with the lack of SD card slot given every other advantage the Nexus has over a tablet like the Clu.
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto G
Carrier: 3

lol... I looked at the Clu's specs also about 3 hours ago..... a 4hr battery?

Sorry took me this long to stop laughing long enough to get up off the floor
dan330 and n4zty like this.
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X2
Carrier: Not Provided

Send a message via ICQ to AngryHatter

Button?
I don't use any.
Open my case, the tablet turns on. Close my case and it turns off.

Why do I want an sd card?
h4x0rj3ff likes this.
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus7, KindleFire, Xtab7, Archos43

LookinNwpt@gmail.com

My Nokia phone has a front and back camera with led flash USB port microSD slot and a separate charging jack, GPS, radio WiFi Bluetooth, and three day battery life. My Archos43 tablet has a microSD slot WiFi Bluetooth USB port microHDMI port long battery life stereo speakers and flip out stand. So what you want is out there!
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid Eris, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 32 GB - Wifi, HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Default Re: The N7 lacks hardware features

I see the point your trying to make. But it would probably hold up better if the Nexus 7 wasn't being compared to something that quite frankly is a POS in comparison in every other way.
n4zty likes this.
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Not Entitled

Device(s): Nexus 5(u,r), N7.2-32(u,r), Nook Color, iPad2, Asus EEE Transformer w/ dock (stock)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 1,318 Times in 558 Posts

I agree that no SD card slot on the N7 stinks. How Google can claim it's a benefit for customers yet EVERY review I've read slights them for it? Ulterior motive.

I couldn't disagree more about a separate charging port. That's a path to inconvenience. I have a ton of gadgets and most of them charge using the same micro USB port. I don't have to carry around a separate cable and charger for my devices. My Kindle, Nook, N7 and GNex all charge with the same cable and charger. That's convenience and I think it's brilliant.

When I want to use my PSP or DS I have to dig around for the correct charger which is seldom easily accessible. Same goes for my iPad, though being newer, the cable is usually laying around.

To each their own. If the OP prefers a separate charger then that's fine for him.

Apple tells people what they want, Microsoft asks what people want, Google gives people what they want (for 15 minutes).

Site Rules, for your convenience
sponsored links
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7

Thanked 1,543 Times in 794 Posts

A separate charging port sounds terrible. Why would I want to introduce yet another type of charger? I was very pleased when everyone started standardizing on micro USB.

The SD card is, of course, a feature that some people want and others don't. It's certainly valid if you want it.

I don't know what the problems are with the buttons. I have no trouble with them. What you're saying, though, is akin to saying, "This Mercedes doesn't have an armrest compartment or or a lighted mirror in the sunshade, therefore it is an inferior car to this Kia." Cherry-picking a couple features that you like doesn't tell the whole story.

I promise, though, that nobody will ever be happy with everything . You might be surprised how much "pennies" here and there add up to a more expensive item.
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italo View Post
I agree that the button are awkwardly placed, and are a bit of a pain.

There is no SD slot because Google is moving away from SD support on Nexus devices. They think that it makes file management too confusing for the average consumer.

I've never heard of any phone or tablet having a separate charging port, and don't see why you would need one. If you want to transfer files over USB then the tablet can charge off of the USB port on your computer. You can also get apps like Airdroid that allow wifi file transfer.
1. You are probably right. But what about the 'non-average' user. Are these devices only made for dummies.

2. The micro USB port is very fragile. The seperate 3.5mm port on the Klu looks a lot more robust. And since it is being used frequently for charging (every second day in my case), I would rather have a more robust port.
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndoren View Post
To the original OP: If you weren't a regular, respected contributor, I'd have thought you were trolling

Of course there are features of the N7 that could have been designed better (or included at all, like the SD slot). Yet, it's all about tradeoffs, and there is no perfect tablet. If there was, it'd always be out of stock.

Compared to the Klu, the N7 has twice the screen pixels, twice the RAM, probably 4x the computing power, 4x the internal flash memory, front camera, GPS, etc. There are some that claim the KLU isn't recognized by the android market, making "Google Play" useless. So, again, there are tradeoffs.
You are correct. The Klu does not perform like the N7. But my point was that if they can put those ports on a $59 tablet, it must not be a big deal (cost wise) and it would certainly be nice to have them in the next edition of the N7. And the N7 buttons are a story in itself.
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Guys, I appreciate your lively discussion on the subject. My point was simply that features which are present on a $59 tablet could probably be easily implemented on the N7 with very little cost.

I am not suggesting that the Klu is a better tablet than the N7 - by no means. But there is room for improvement on the N7. Wait until we get the first reports that the USB ports broke.
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto G
Carrier: 3

That's what happened on my KF
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
2. The micro USB port is very fragile. The seperate 3.5mm port on the Klu looks a lot more robust. And since it is being used frequently for charging (every second day in my case), I would rather have a more robust port.
My feeling too, which is why I'll be buying the dock to charge my N7.
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
ROM Developer

Device(s): LG G Flex, LG Spirit, LG Motion, LG F3

Thanked 4,931 Times in 2,075 Posts

Quote:
Guys, I appreciate your lively discussion on the subject. My point was simply that features which are present on a $59 tablet could probably be easily implemented on the N7 with very little cost.

I am not suggesting that the Klu is a better tablet than the N7 - by no means. But there is room for improvement on the N7. Wait until we get the first reports that the USB ports broke.
well if they (any manuf) would release a dock that uses the pogo pins the charging port wouldnt be a issue. Personally the usb port works fine for me as well as the buttons, but would like a charging dock that used the pogo pins.

Your point is valid though.

PlayfulDroidz Wiki
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

We should research that. A micro USB to PoGo adapter Or a PoGo charger would do the trick. There is a PoGo charger for the N10: http://nexus10accessories.com/nexus-10-pogo-charger/
Last edited by whs37; January 14th, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7

Thanked 1,543 Times in 794 Posts

I just hope everyone picks a wireless charging standard and runs with it. The wireless charging isn't quite as efficient but it's sure a pleasant way to charge your device. No cables dangling, no precise positioning.

I'm hopeful about the Qi standard, since more than one manufacturer has picked up on it.

I really enjoy my Touchpad's Touchstone dock.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,537 Posts

with the nexus.. and any product that has a target price point.. there is only so much it can afford to have in it.. you give some and get some..

if you get everything you want and put it into one device.. there is NO way to meet the price point.

they nexus had to give up on some small things to be able to get the other important features.

at the time of release.. it has a quad-core.. with 1 RAM .. nice screen and resolution... quality construction.
it had to give up buttons.. sdmicro.. back camera..

I for one.. after using the nexus7..
they make some good trade-offs.

DropBox: register for free space (we both get 500MB extra space): http://db.tt/sWYVl3j6
sponsored links
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I wonder though how some of the $60 tablets can afford to include such items as SDreader, charging plug and real buttons. Those are penny items. I agree on the rear camera. That costs probably a bit more.

If at least they could make a charger that uses the pogo attachment. Then the USB port would not be so much at risk.
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,537 Posts

i dont see your point on a separate charging port.

why do you want to have 2 ports? 2 cables to plug in... more to get in your way.
what advantage do you get?

1 cable to do it all.. 1 port.. make total sense to me.
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One X Google Nexus 7

Default Re: The N7 lacks hardware features

There is a docking/charging station that uses the pogo pins being released by the end of this month for the N7.

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/gadget-news/google-nexus-7-dock-incoming-but-brits-get-the-worst-price

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by Hoppy; January 15th, 2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
ROM Developer

Quote:
I wonder though how some of the $60 tablets can afford to include such items as SDreader, charging plug and real buttons. Those are penny items. I agree on the rear camera. That costs probably a bit more.

If at least they could make a charger that uses the pogo attachment. Then the USB port would not be so much at risk.
bet ya that $60 tablet dont have nowhere near as nice a screen or processor.

Not to mention updates when google drops em, not days, weeks, months, or even years later to get em.
n4zty likes this.
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #25 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
i dont see your point on a separate charging port.

why do you want to have 2 ports? 2 cables to plug in... more to get in your way.
what advantage do you get?

1 cable to do it all.. 1 port.. make total sense to me.
Because I am afraid that the USB port will break one of these days. The heavy usage with the frequent charging is not a good scenario.
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid Eris, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 32 GB - Wifi, HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:

I doubt not including the SD card reader is cost related. Google has made it quite clear that they do NOT want SD cards on any Nexus device. Google has given their reasons (unifying the file system, file systems are not user friendly, etc), there is some speculation that it may be to push Google cloud services, who knows.

They want to use virtual buttons. In my opinion, not really wasted space and they are able to be customized. And the Nexus 7 resolution was adjusted for that (its 1280 x 800), so it comes out to 720p in landscape or 1200 pixels high in portrait.

The charging plug is probably because they want to adhere to the using microUSB as the connection standard. Its cheaper because they don't need to add and make room for a DC jack. And its better for the user, because it eliminates proprietary chargers and cables. I wouldn't be too worried about the USB port. I left the charging cable in there and I put it in my backpack (woops) and the cable connector got bent up pretty nicely, but the port is still find and dandy. I wouldn't recommend beating it, but its definitely not going to destroyed without some significant pressure.
Last edited by Demache; January 15th, 2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
ROM Developer

Quote:
Because I am afraid that the USB port will break one of these days. The heavy usage with the frequent charging is not a good scenario.
I've never had a usb/charger port go out on any of the devices I own, and I have a bunch of em. lol

Only way I could see one going out is if someone swung the device around by the usb cable while it was plugged in or some kind of accident which could break any type of plugin port.

And yea on the no sdcards, it to move to cloud based services, which isnt a bad idea, but is dependent on data plans and/or wifi connections, both of which could not be available at all times. I've not had a real issue not having a sdcard, but the option would be nice. But with OTG I can connect a 1TB hdd if I like though.
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:09 AM   #28 (permalink)
lvt

Device(s): Google Nexus 7 (32GB) HTC One SV (8GB)

Using the USB port as charging port has many advantages :

- Keep the tablet as thin as possible, less parts required (by elimining the plug and cable), simpler circuit board design.

- The included cable can be used for charging or data transfer, simplifying the packaging process.

I had a lot of old mobile phones and PDAs without separate charging plug, using the USB port for charging and data transfer has been industry standard several years ago.

About the SD reader, I don't know for those who have 8GB or 16GB version, but mine has 32Gb of storage and I don't have the need for bigger storage space as I use my N7 primarily for web browsing and gaming, I think if I need more than 32GB of storage then I should buy a mini laptop with real hard driver, not a tablet.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)