Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Hook

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 15th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ever since DU... ;-)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus One (retired), Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 4 (donated to son), Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T (Gophone)

Default I'd like to thank Google...

...for so completely screwing the pooch on Nexus 4 availability. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have this incredible Nexus 7 I've been breaking in the past few days. I love this beast! Best handheld computer I have ever had.

My Nexus One still makes a great phone.

Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Slimkat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, Build KVT49L, Franco Kernel, Art, Nova Launcher.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hook For This Useful Post:
Teknologic (January 16th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

I had the Desire, which was basically a poor man's (or in my case, tight man's) Nexus 1.

Great phone, though I didn't really realise just how constraining the 500MB of RAM was until I got a Nexus 4 - what an absolute belter of a phone! Stuff that took forever on my Desire is virtually instantaneous on the N4 - and there was me blaming T-Mob!

You really need to save your pennies and get one - you'll love it.
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ever since DU... ;-)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus One (retired), Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 4 (donated to son), Nexus 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiempreTuna View Post
I had the Desire, which was basically a poor man's (or in my case, tight man's) Nexus 1.

Great phone, though I didn't really realise just how constraining the 500MB of RAM was until I got a Nexus 4 - what an absolute belter of a phone! Stuff that took forever on my Desire is virtually instantaneous on the N4 - and there was me blaming T-Mob!

That's the plan, but I'm no longer in a hurry. I don't use a phone much-- I don't make many phone calls. Everything else I am doing on this tablet. I thought the pocketability would be a problem, but I put a very handsome leather case on it and am carrying it almost everywhere (for work I carry a bag anyway).

I have no doubt the N4 is wonderful and I probably will get one still. Still...
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:

from a Desire to a Nexus4...
RAM is better..
but i think the CPU/GPU upgrade doe make the biggest punch in the phones speed.. and dont forget the better Android upgrade.

The N7 a little powerhouse.. i am finding it is very helpful and useful.. more than i thought it would be

DropBox: register for free space (we both get 500MB extra space): http://db.tt/sWYVl3j6
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II HTC G2 Apple iPhone 4 Nexus 7 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile, AT&T

Yeah, this thing killed my lap top. If I could get it to work with the systems we use at work I would totally ditch the laptop.
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!

Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanked 15,847 Times in 8,509 Posts
Default Re: I'd like to thank Google...

I was semi skeptical about the size and not having a keyboard (my previous tab was a TF101), but I can't put it down. Google have nailex it, I love it
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4

I was considering jumping ship from a Galaxy Nexus to the Nexus 4.

Got the Nexus 7 and kept the GNex, can't be happier =) although I've had the Nexus 7 since September
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid Eris Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE Nexus 7 32 GB - Wifi
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:

Psh, 500 MB constraining? Try 100 MB.
Old January 18th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: ATT and Deutsche Telecom

I never owned a mobile phone because for one I never really had a need for one and then we live 6 months in the US and 6 months in Europe - so I would have needed 2 systems for which I would need 2 different plans.

But now I use the N7 for making calls - with GrooveIP. Free in the US and from Europe to the US. 2 cents per minute from the US to Europe. That is a real money saver for all the overseas calls we make all the time.

Another highlight is the GPS. It navigated us out of Orlando last week without any problems -- else we would probably still be roaming the Orlando landscape.
Last edited by whs37; January 18th, 2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Galaxy S4, Note 2, Nexus 4, 7, 7.2 & 10
Carrier: AT&T

I'm just thrilled with my Nexus 7. Its a constant companion I'm using way more than I anticipated. The more I use it, the more uses I find for it.

Fast, fun & trouble free its nearly too good to be true.

What a bargain
sponsored links
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Desire (In the drawer), HTC One X (Nexus 5 ordered), Nexus 7 (2012)
Carrier: O2

I originally purchased a cheaper Chinese tablet, then the Nexus 7 was announced. Obviously i purchased one straight away, much to the dismay of my wife. 'I'm not very happy with you for doing that' she stated.
Now, several months on after she has used the Chinese tablet, 'Its very heavy and i think i would be better off with one like yours.'
My wife is a total technophobe, so the Nexus 7 must be a good device.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Motorola Milestone
Carrier: 3

Yep. It's rare to find a new product of any type that exceeds expectations in every way - and the Nexus 7 is one of this rare breed.

I'm not at all "brand loyal" but I have to admit that my trust of both the Google and Asus brands has increased considerably since buying the Nexus 7.
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Asus Google Nexus 7
Carrier: Digicel Jamaica

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
...for so completely screwing the pooch on Nexus 4 availability. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have this incredible Nexus 7 I've been breaking in the past few days. I love this beast! Best handheld computer I have ever had.

My Nexus One still makes a great phone.
Haha, I can relate. I played we it using Nvidia Splashtop GamePad THD
I play my PC games on this already powerful device
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ever since DU... ;-)
Thread Author (OP)

Yesterday, I say the Nexus 4 was available again. I didn't even feel tempted to pull the trigger. My phone is now only a phone and the Nexus One is fine for that. Maybe someday, but I don't even feel a tug right now.
Old January 30th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Wildfire S, Galaxy S3

The Nexus 7 is with me constantly. I even bought a bargain MiFi from 3 so I can keep it connected during my commute. It does everything I need in a package that's just the right size. I'm using it right now.
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Imagio===>Droid X===> Droid RAZR===>GS3===>Droid Razr HD

I thought a tablet was a gimmick. A in between a laptop and desktop but no real purpose seeing that it has no DVD slot and couldn't upload programs. Having a RAZR HD smartphone didn't think I needed a tab. Looked at the N7 when it was first announced was like no SD, HDMI slot, only 8 and 16 gig, 7 inches nope not gonna buy.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago my brother purchase one so I got a chance to play with the N7. Boy was I wrong. Best electronic purchase I ever made. The size is just right debated with the N10 since it was closer to a laptop but the N10 would be too big as a portable device. Its nice but more of a stay at home tab. Everything I need is in the play store and this lil beast takes everything I throw at it. Will get the new N7 the day it is released.
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid Eris Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE Nexus 7 32 GB - Wifi
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBruDa3rd View Post
I thought a tablet was a gimmick. A in between a laptop and desktop but no real purpose seeing that it has no DVD slot and couldn't upload programs. Having a RAZR HD smartphone didn't think I needed a tab. Looked at the N7 when it was first announced was like no SD, HDMI slot, only 8 and 16 gig, 7 inches nope not gonna buy.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago my brother purchase one so I got a chance to play with the N7. Boy was I wrong. Best electronic purchase I ever made. The size is just right debated with the N10 since it was closer to a laptop but the N10 would be too big as a portable device. Its nice but more of a stay at home tab. Everything I need is in the play store and this lil beast takes everything I throw at it. Will get the new N7 the day it is released.
Yeah, I was the same way. Got a N7, and for day to day browsing, it pretty much replaced my laptop. Only time I use my laptop is when....it isn't realistically possible to do it on the tablet (so Visual Studio, Word, Windows games, and virtual machines).

Otherwise, my N7 pretty much does everything my laptop can, and get twice the battery life.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)