Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch; Asus Nexus 7 wi-fi 32GB; Sprint Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint

Default Wi-fi won't shut down when put into sleep mode.

So I went into the advanced wi-fi settings and set the wi-fi to NEVER stay on during sleep. Then I went back to my home screen and tapped the power button to put it to sleep. The wi-fi should have disconnected. Then I tested it by sending it an email from another computer. I should NOT have received it because the wi-fi should be off when it is asleep. But I still got/heard the email notification while it is sleeping indicating the wi-fi is on. Even after 15 minutes of being "asleep".

Can someone else please try this to verify that their wi-fi is shutting down during sleep (if it is set to do so in wi-fi advance settings).

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by Netcat; January 24th, 2013 at 07:00 PM.
sponsored links
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Connect 4G (Retired), Samsung Freeform III (retired), Asus Nexus 7, LG Optimus F3
Carrier: T-Metro USA

yeah i use wifi timeout which was more effective on my phone. I use it on my Nexus 7 as well but i havent tested the Wifi settings option.
give wifi timeout a test.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lastmile.wifitimeout&hl=en
The Following User Says Thank You to jjrx3 For This Useful Post:
mysticspiral (January 27th, 2013)
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch; Asus Nexus 7 wi-fi 32GB; Sprint Galaxy S3

Thanks for the tip. I might give that a try but since that function is built into JB, it should work when it's set. I wonder if all the N7's are like that?

update: I tried the wifi timeout software and it works just fine and almost no permissions too :-)

I was thinking... if I have apps and widgets that constantly update over the internet in the background, is it better to leave the wifi on and let them update when they feel like it, or if I turn off the wifi for a while when in sleep mode, when I turn it back on will it cause a bottleneck of data coming in and maybe slow it down for a bit? I'll try this for a while and see. Thanks again!
Last edited by Netcat; January 25th, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): RAZR M, Kindle Fire, Nexus 7 32 GB WiFi only
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Default Re: Wi-fi won't shut down when put into sleep mode.

I have mine set to only stay on when plugged in and I have verified that it does work. I use an app called Fing on all my Android devices. It shows my local network and which devices are on there. I used my phone to watch my network and did see my Nexus 7 going offline when it went to sleep (a few minutes after the screen went off).
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Bionic, Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

I have my wi-fi set to always stay on. Overnight my battery went down by 2%. I don't think there is much, if any, penalty for keeping it on unless you have constant, multiple app syncing going on. I have most everything set for manual syncing.
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groid View Post
I have my wi-fi set to always stay on. Overnight my battery went down by 2%. I don't think there is much, if any, penalty for keeping it on unless you have constant, multiple app syncing going on. I have most everything set for manual syncing.
I think you're right. Leaving the wi-fi on all the time doesn't seem to make much of a difference in my battery life. Using CPU Spy, I can see that the N7 goes into "Deep Sleep" when I tap the power button, even with the wi-fi on.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)