Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By John Bean
  • 1 Post By Groid

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Nexus 7 Lost emails

Hello! I am a lifelong PC user, now wrestling with my new Nexus 7.
I have two major issues with the e-mail function supplied with the device.
I have amended the settings on my PC's Outlook Express POP e-mail accounts to ensure mail is left on the server for a minimum of 15 days.
I have created four email accounts on the tablet, and successfully receive e-mail. However, here come the problems:
1. Email messages I want to keep are routinely removed from the in-boxes, and cannot be found anywhere. When this happens, I have to reload all the messages from the past 4/5 days, delete all the rubbish (again) and leave the ones I want to refer to back in the inbox. However, in just one or two days, they've gone again!
I have just returned from a two week holiday, when this problem occurred repeatedly. My PC was obviously not active during this time, so cannot be the culprit. I have tried 'starring' the selected e-mails (whatever that means) but it doesn't stop them disappearing. I have read that someone deletes them, but saves them in the Recycle Bin - which is ludicrous!
And so to the second problem/issue:
2. On my PC there is a simple option in Outlook Express to 'Empty Deleted Items Folder' to remove all the rubbish in one click. With the tablet, I have to go through each individual message and click on it, before I can delete them. Surely there is an easier way to delete the entire contents of the Recycle Bin in one go?
Can anyone provide answers/solutions to these problems/issues? Thanks.

sponsored links
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Motorola Milestone
Carrier: 3

Too many unknown variables to provide an answer to your question. We need at the very least to know how you are using it - POP3 or IMAP, for example - and whether or not you have altered any of the defaults.

You said you were using POP on your PC with OE, which is not ideal for sharing, especially if your email app on the Nexus 7 is using (say) IMAP or POP with different settings. Better to change both to use IMAP instead.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Default Nexus 7 lost emials

Thanks for the response.
I should have made it clearer - Incoming mail is POP3, and outgoing mail is SMTP for all four accounts in OE on my PC.
When I set up the four accounts on Nexus, I responded POP (or was it POP3?) when prompted as to which type of e-mail account I wanted.
I have copied the set-up details from OE on the PC and applied as necessary when creating the four accounts on Nexus 7. So the incoming and outgoing server settings on the tablet are exactly as in OE, except that the 'Delete from server' setting on the tablet is set to 'Never'.
The only oddity is the Outgoing Server Port setting on Nexus. OE shows this as '25' for all accounts. I put this into Nexus, but discovered that in each account, it has changed '25' to '587'. Goodness knows why, but it doesn't appear to affect functionality, although some e-mails are sometimes very slow to leave the outbox. I can't believe this abnormality has any effect on the lost e-mails in the four inboxes, however.
It has been suggested to me in the past that I should change everything to IMAP (which I believe is standard with Apple) but at my time of life I would rather stick with something I (almost!) understand.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus7, KindleFire, Xtab7, Archos43

LookinNwpt@gmail.com

IMAP gives you direct access to your email server without downloading emails so you see what is there and is great for deleting junk before your PC pop accounts download messages.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

Port 587 is the new standard for mail submission agents (though almost no-one uses it!). Port 587 is effectively the same as port 25.

It seems an obvious guess that one of the POP3 clients is deleting mail from the server. I can't think of any way to tell which apart from working through them one at a time.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by timz99 View Post
.... Email messages I want to keep are routinely removed from the in-boxes, and cannot be found anywhere. ....
I'm having the same problem. Anybody else?
Sometimes they magically re-apear in the InBox. No control when and how. Very frustrating.
To be clear ... it does NOT remove them from the server ... just from the tablet app.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
RFH

Device(s):

I am having the same problem and it is getting worse. This morning I checked my messages and then did something else. I went back to them and they deleted in front of my eyes. This also has nothing to do with any computer settings as it worked perfectly until recently and nothing has been changed. It is now so unreliable as to be unusable.
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: ATT and Deutsche Telecom

I don't want to be wise guy. But if you use AOL or Gmail, those things won't happen. I have mail accounts on both and never lost any mail from my N7.
Old April 20th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whs37 View Post
I don't want to be wise guy. But if you use AOL or Gmail, those things won't happen. I have mail accounts on both and never lost any mail from my N7.
Any web-based email will work reliably with multiple devices, as will pretty much any email account so long as you use IMAP and not POP3 to access it. POP was intended for single client use; fudges to allow use of multiple unsynchronised devices with the same POP3 server account will inevitably go wrong from time to time.

It's a matter of using the right tools for the job.
BillArf and whs37 like this.
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Bionic, Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

It is possible in Gmail to collect all your other email accounts in Gmail with each email identified by its account. You can even send from Gmail as any of the associated accounts, so it will appear as having come from whichever account specified. I get all my Yahoo and ISP email messages in one place...Gmail. And I can send as from Yahoo, Gmail or the other account.
whs37 likes this.
sponsored links
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Yes, I do that :-)

It makes sense at many levels, but pertinent to this thread it means that a POP3 account will work with multiple devices because only Gmail will ever access the POP server(s) - the user (or users) will access only Gmail which has no problem at all with multiple device access.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)