Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Like Tree10Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 519
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default OTG - I dont get it.

Hi all,

Recent N7 owner here. I love the device but admit it really needs an SD card feature. I have 16gb which is more than enough for everyday use but if I wanted to load ALL my music and a few movies, I could see where the space would soon be eaten up. I notice a lot of you are using the OTG cable and a card thumb-drive combo. Doesn't this defeat the object of the device though? Im not sure I want to carry a cable and thumb-drive around on the off-chance that I want to listen to certain albums.

Im not criticizing, just wondering why OTG is so popular As a CompSci professor once told me "Yes you can, but why would you"? Is that the attraction, the fact that its possible but at the end of the day, not very practical?

Thanks!
GJTRUEFAITH likes this.

Advertisements
magohn is offline  
Last edited by magohn; February 20th, 2013 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magohn For This Useful Post:
GJTRUEFAITH (February 20th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 593
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid RAZR, RAZR MAXX HD, Google Nexus 7.
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 107
Thanked 83 Times in 77 Posts
Default

yes you can, but why would you? easy... and you've already answered that question - in case you want to listen, view, do, something thru your N7 that you don't want always loaded to the device. The only thing I use my OTG cable for is watching the occasional anime that I put on a thumb drive. If I know I'm going somewhere that I won't have a wifi connection, but don't want to just sit there playing games, I'll grab my OTG and thumb drive.

keep in mind that you're talking a VERY small footprint for the cable and drive. I have a sling backpack that I use when I need to carry a few things, but don't want to bring a full backpack. I just put them into one of the side pockets with the charger.
__________________
~ ~ ~ ~
If you get an answer to a question, do everybody else a favor and post back your results.
~ ~ ~ ~
seVer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Claghorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 340
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
Default

I use it for watching TV programs I've recorded or ripped from DVD collections. Very handy for a session on the treadmill. I use a simple plug (no cable) and the world's smallest micro sd card reader:

Amazon.com: eForCity USB 2.0 A to Micro B Female / Male Adaptor: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader (Black): Electronics
MeatLoafT likes this.
Claghorn is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Claghorn For This Useful Post:
MeatLoafT (February 23rd, 2013)
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 519
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Thanks guys, I get that it adds endless (almost) storage but its the whole 'connect a cable, connect a drive' scenario that seems troublesome as youd have to carry those items with you at all times.

Youd think that some clever company would come up with a small drive with built in OTG that you could leave plugged into the N7 (no cable). Kind of like those micro BT dongles you can get for laptops.

PS the amazon links don't work

GJTRUEFAITH likes this.
magohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magohn For This Useful Post:
GJTRUEFAITH (February 20th, 2013)
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,642
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,041
Thanked 9,353 Times in 5,034 Posts
Default Re: OTG - I dont get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
Thanks guys, I get that it adds endless (almost) storage but its the whole 'connect a cable, connect a drive' scenario that seems troublesome as youd have to carry those items with you at all times.

Youd think that some clever company would come up with a small drive with built in OTG that you could leave plugged into the N7 (no cable). Kind of like those micro BT dongles you can get for laptops.

PS the amazon links don't work

Yeah they make the flash drives in that size, I have one, but still need the cable. what I did is keep everything on the flash drive, then move over what I want, then when out of space, delete the old stuff and move what I want over again.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 108
 
Device(s): Galaxy S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I mostly use it like others for downloaded TV stuff - I can watch it on the train or shove the same stick in a laptop/raspberry pi at my other halfs place so we can watch it on the TV. It's also handy for Mame as I just leave all the images on stick to browse though. As a major part of my job is flipping though hundreds of images it's also convenient to take them off microscope on a stick and view them on the tablet whilst sat comfortably in the coffee bar.
basalt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 519
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
Yeah they make the flash drives in that size, I have one, but still need the cable. what I did is keep everything on the flash drive, then move over what I want, then when out of space, delete the old stuff and move what I want over again.
Thanks.

Seems cable is problematic (you have to carry a cable around) and the OTG/USB connectors are problematic (because they stick out so far its just asking for a stress issue on the mini-usb port if left attached permanently).

As I say, ideally, a combo mini-usb/otg/drive with a low form factor would be awesome. Something like the BT dongle pictured above that is rounded (so it doesn't catch on things) low form factor, and all-in-one.

I may just 'wait' until something like that is released.

Thanks all.
magohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Happy Wanderer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waterfoot, Lancashire
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,206
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Lenovo Yoga 10
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 121
Thanked 441 Times in 306 Posts
Default

I wonder if this will work on a Nexus 7?



The thing on the right is just an adapter, but the bit on the left is a OTG microUSB reader for microSD cards. Looks ideal to me.
John Bean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Harry2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Black Forest
Posts: 5,185
 
Device(s): One X, Sensation, Desire HD, Xperia Tablet S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 622
Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,116 Posts
Default AW: OTG - I dont get it.

Without a cable, but it seems not to be handy ...

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/527539009/NOOSY_OTG_USB_flash_drive_for.html?s=p

Harry
__________________
Google Translate is to blame for my grammar
Harry2 is online now  
Last edited by Harry2; February 20th, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 519
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default

This looks interesting

Green House Announces Android-Compatible Card Reader | techPowerUp
MeatLoafT likes this.
magohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
n4zty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,302
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 Nexus 7 Unlocked and Rooted
Carrier: MetroPcs

Thanks: 670
Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,080 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
I use it for watching TV programs I've recorded or ripped from DVD collections. Very handy for a session on the treadmill. I use a simple plug (no cable) and the world's smallest micro sd card reader:

Amazon.com: eForCity USB 2.0 A to Micro B Female / Male Adaptor: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader (Black): Electronics
thanks i order the eForCity USB 2.0 A to Micro B Female / Male Adaptor for $1.52 from louisiana so ill have it in a few days.
__________________
Musician and Beat producer check out my beatz @ http://soundcloud.com/chosen-1-records
n4zty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,944
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,745
Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,546 Posts
Default

i dont carry it all over the place...
just when i am out on long trips..

normally the 16gb can do for me.. have a few movies on it.. with some songs too.
and swap them out as needed when home.

but on trips... i have movies and other music on the thumb drive. it and the cable are stored in my bag. i can change out the files from Thumbdrive to N7, as needed; then unplug it.

another solution would be to use an cloud storage service like: dropbox.
__________________
Later,
Dan

DropBox: register for free space (we both get 500MB extra space): http://db.tt/sWYVl3j6
dan330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Claghorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 340
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
Default

I'm still kind of surprised no one has yet made a case with a built in OTG connector and sd card reader. (Or if they have, I haven't seen it).
Claghorn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 519
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
I'm still kind of surprised no one has yet made a case with a built in OTG connector and sd card reader. (Or if they have, I haven't seen it).
That's an interesting concept too. Just seems like there is a hole in the market screaming to be filled.
magohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,276
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 14,782
Thanked 12,568 Times in 7,251 Posts
Default

My tablet doesn't usually leave the house, so I don't have to worry about "carrying around" anything extra.
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Chemist
 
h4x0rj3ff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,563
 
Device(s): SGS3 16GB - CM11 Nightlies, Nexus 7 16GB (2012) - CM10.2 Nightlies
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 499
Thanked 875 Times in 502 Posts
h4x0rj3ff@gmail.com
Default Re: OTG - I dont get it.

I can hook up my western digital passport (500gb) and listen to all my music and watch all my movies. I don't do it all that often but its nice when I do. Mind the lack of USB mass storage connection mode really makes it worth having an otg. Have you ever tryed to copy 5gigs of stuff via MTP? It sucks!
n4zty likes this.
__________________
[SIGPIC]Hi Everyone!!![/SIGPIC]
h4x0rj3ff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 40 Times in 29 Posts
Default

I use my N7 with my camera. I take photos on the field and then I preview it on my N7. Sometimes I'll do simple editing of the photo and upload it somewhere. I can't preview it on my camera because the screen on the camera is way too small. Everything looks sharp and perfect but in fact when I look at it on my N7 I can tell what I need to reshoot.

If my camera has BT or wifi then maybe I wouldn't need it. But right now I need that OTG.
val88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: N Calif
Posts: 160
 
Device(s): LG G2, Nexus 7.2, Surface Pro 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by val88 View Post
I use my N7 with my camera. I take photos on the field and then I preview it on my N7. Sometimes I'll do simple editing of the photo and upload it somewhere. I can't preview it on my camera because the screen on the camera is way too small. Everything looks sharp and perfect but in fact when I look at it on my N7 I can tell what I need to reshoot.

If my camera has BT or wifi then maybe I wouldn't need it. But right now I need that OTG.
If your camera supports an Eye-Fi card then you can set it up using the Eye-Fi app so that as soon as you snap a picture, it is transferred to the N7. I have one and it works great.
strollin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
whs37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida/Germany
Gender: Male
Posts: 595
 
Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: ATT and Deutsche Telecom

Thanks: 106
Thanked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bean View Post
I wonder if this will work on a Nexus 7?



The thing on the right is just an adapter, but the bit on the left is a OTG microUSB reader for microSD cards. Looks ideal to me.
That looks interesting. Do you have a link.
whs37 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whs37 For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (February 21st, 2013)
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: N Calif
Posts: 160
 
Device(s): LG G2, Nexus 7.2, Surface Pro 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whs37 View Post
That looks interesting. Do you have a link.
Look closer, the link is in the original post as well as your quote.
strollin is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strollin For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (February 21st, 2013), whs37 (February 21st, 2013)
sponsored links
Old February 21st, 2013, 02:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
whs37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida/Germany
Gender: Male
Posts: 595
 
Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: ATT and Deutsche Telecom

Thanks: 106
Thanked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Default

Thanks, sorry I missed that. My eyes are too bad to tell blue from black.
whs37 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:55 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,335
 
Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 89
Thanked 1,543 Times in 794 Posts
Default

The reason I'm happy with OTG is that I don't need the extra storage most of the time. Most of the time, I'm not watching movies - I'm going about daily life, with a device I can do some quick reading, or play a quick game, or browse the web on.

The times I do want to watch movies, like a trip where I'll be on a plane or in a car, it's easy to grab the OTG cable and the thumb drive that is always in it.
binary visions is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I can't really see what point the OP is trying to make as surely if you can find room to carry a 7 inch tablet around you can also manage to find room for a flash drive & cable? Main worry for me is losing them as they are so small!

Having said that I can't understand why micro SD card slots have gone out of favour (Apple to blame?) as on my SGS2 I can happily use a 32GD memory card and never worry about misplacing it.
Droitwichgas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:56 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
whs37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida/Germany
Gender: Male
Posts: 595
 
Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: ATT and Deutsche Telecom

Thanks: 106
Thanked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Default

I have ordered this device which was linked earlier. It is nearly as handy as a micro SD card - by the looks of it. I will report back once I got it.
whs37 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whs37 For This Useful Post:
Newbieoldguy (March 4th, 2013), Rxpert83 (February 22nd, 2013)
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 519
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droitwichgas View Post
I can't really see what point the OP is trying to make as surely if you can find room to carry a 7 inch tablet around you can also manage to find room for a flash drive & cable? Main worry for me is losing them as they are so small!

Having said that I can't understand why micro SD card slots have gone out of favour (Apple to blame?) as on my SGS2 I can happily use a 32GD memory card and never worry about misplacing it.
The point I am trying to make is 'why bother with OTG as it stands today'? If you need to remember to bring along a cable and card reader to access files, it seems problematic (yes, you could lose your 32gb card) and 'clunky'.
What I am hoping to discover is a small thumb-drive with OTG built-in that could happily live attached to the N7.
magohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 40 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
The point I am trying to make is 'why bother with OTG as it stands today'? If you need to remember to bring along a cable and card reader to access files, it seems problematic (yes, you could lose your 32gb card) and 'clunky'.
What I am hoping to discover is a small thumb-drive with OTG built-in that could happily live attached to the N7.
Because the N7 wasn't created with OTG in mind as a selling point. Thats why google doesn't market it. Otherwise google would have done something here without requiring root.

OTG is a workaround that people are utilizing to do something that wasn't intended. Its a hack, a mod, however you want to label it. And with all hacks and mods, it requires the person to go that extra mile to do something that they could not otherwise do before.
val88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
whs37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida/Germany
Gender: Male
Posts: 595
 
Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: ATT and Deutsche Telecom

Thanks: 106
Thanked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Default

Quote:
Otherwise google would have done something here without requiring root.
You don't need root to download something from an OTG attached stick. The Nexus Media Importer does the job without root.
MeatLoafT likes this.
whs37 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whs37 For This Useful Post:
MeatLoafT (February 23rd, 2013)
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Liamo_210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,118
 
Device(s): motorola xoom 2 ME, Samsung galaxy S3 (blue), Nexus 4
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 302
Thanked 768 Times in 560 Posts
Default Re: OTG - I dont get it.

Having been kelping up with thus thread but was wondering if its possible to use an otg cable without root?
__________________
If someone has helped you, hit the THANKS button.
If you just like a post for some reason, click LIKE.
If you see someone causing trouble, hit REPORT!
Liamo_210 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,276
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 14,782
Thanked 12,568 Times in 7,251 Posts
Default Re: OTG - I dont get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamo_210 View Post
Having been kelping up with thus thread but was wondering if its possible to use an otg cable without root?
To read, not write
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rxpert83 For This Useful Post:
Liamo_210 (February 22nd, 2013)
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:53 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Liamo_210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,118
 
Device(s): motorola xoom 2 ME, Samsung galaxy S3 (blue), Nexus 4
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 302
Thanked 768 Times in 560 Posts
Default Re: OTG - I dont get it.

So you can watch say videos using it but you cant save stuff to it from the device? Is that correct?
Liamo_210 is offline  
Last edited by Liamo_210; February 22nd, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:17 PM   #31 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,276
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 14,782
Thanked 12,568 Times in 7,251 Posts
Default Re: OTG - I dont get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamo_210 View Post
So you can watch say videos using it but you cant save stuff to it from the device? Is that correct?
Yes. If you've got videos or documents you could view them, but not make changes
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
Ever since DU... ;-)
 
Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 1,089
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 (2012),Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T (Gophone)

Thanks: 414
Thanked 413 Times in 288 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droitwichgas View Post
I can't understand why micro SD card slots have gone out of favour (Apple to blame?)
No, not Apple. A company that makes money by having you depend on their cloud services is responsible.
__________________
Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.9, Android 4.4.4, Build KTU84Q, Franco Kernel, Nova Launcher.

Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Dirty Unicorns 7.9, Android 4.4.4, Build KTU84P, Nova Launcher.
Hook is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,276
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 14,782
Thanked 12,568 Times in 7,251 Posts
Default Re: OTG - I dont get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
No, not Apple. A company that makes money by having you depend on their cloud services is responsible.
Not to mention it helps you eat up data. Your favorite non unlimited wireless company likes that as well
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:45 AM   #34 (permalink)
Happy Wanderer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waterfoot, Lancashire
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,206
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Lenovo Yoga 10
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 121
Thanked 441 Times in 306 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whs37 View Post
I have ordered this device which was linked earlier. It is nearly as handy as a micro SD card - by the looks of it. I will report back once I got it.
I look forward to that. I did a bit of web research and found a few complaints that it didn't work on some phones but did on others, no mention of Nexus though. That's why I posted with the question of whether it will work on a Nexus 7, hoping someone has already tried it.

Here's hoping...
John Bean is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Bean For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (February 23rd, 2013)
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:55 AM   #35 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,276
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 14,782
Thanked 12,568 Times in 7,251 Posts
Default Re: OTG - I dont get it.

Some phones don't have support for otg. That's probably why you saw reports of it not working for some.
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:57 AM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
whs37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida/Germany
Gender: Male
Posts: 595
 
Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: ATT and Deutsche Telecom

Thanks: 106
Thanked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Default

We'll see. It cost only $6 which is anyhow cheap for a 16GB stick. If nothing else, I use it on the PCs. Today I got the shipping notice. But with US Postal you never know how long it will take. Last year we sent an overnight mail to NY - it took 4 weeks to get there.
whs37 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whs37 For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (February 23rd, 2013)
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver BC CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD Google Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
I use it for watching TV programs I've recorded or ripped from DVD collections. Very handy for a session on the treadmill. I use a simple plug (no cable) and the world's smallest micro sd card reader:

Amazon.com: eForCity USB 2.0 A to Micro B Female / Male Adaptor: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader (Black): Electronics
Do you mean that the "eForCity USB 2.0 A to Micro B Female / Male Adaptor"
has the same function as a OTG cable?

Thanks the info!

SLo
losl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:40 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 519
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whs37 View Post
We'll see. It cost only $6 which is anyhow cheap for a 16GB stick.
It 'supports 16gb' it doesnt come with 16gb. The devil is always in the details.
magohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magohn For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (February 23rd, 2013)
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
whs37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida/Germany
Gender: Male
Posts: 595
 
Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: ATT and Deutsche Telecom

Thanks: 106
Thanked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
It 'supports 16gb' it doesnt come with 16gb. The devil is always in the details.
Yeah, it's kind of funny the way they specify the capacity. Well, we'll see when it gets here. Worst case I lost $6.
whs37 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whs37 For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (February 24th, 2013)
Old February 24th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 519
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whs37 View Post
Yeah, it's kind of funny the way they specify the capacity. Well, we'll see when it gets here. Worst case I lost $6.
Thanks for giving it a shot. If it works, its more eloquent than the other methods.
magohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #41 (permalink)
Ever since DU... ;-)
 
Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 1,089
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 (2012),Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T (Gophone)

Thanks: 414
Thanked 413 Times in 288 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
Okay, I'm going to fess up that I couldn't resist. I have to see what this thing can do. I paid a ridiculous amount of money (half of it shipping) that probably isn't worth it even if it can do everything I think it can, but the geek experimenter grabbed my wallet and ordered it from a Japanese web site (who are very good at communicating about the order, so I think I will actually see it).

I saw a Japanese video and it looks like it hugs the side of the Nexus 7 pretty tightly and I think my Folio case will accommodate it.

When I get it, I'll give a complete rundown with pics, no matter how foolish it makes me look. I have no idea when it will get here.
Hook is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hook For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (February 24th, 2013)
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: N Calif
Posts: 160
 
Device(s): LG G2, Nexus 7.2, Surface Pro 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
This adapter seems bulkier and more intrusive (not to mention more expensive) than an OTG cable to me so I'll stick with my OTG cable and USB card reader.

I have a 64G SD card filled with movies/TV shows that I carry with me on trips so I have a good selection of stuff to watch. Worsk great for watching on my N7.
strollin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Morpeth, now exiled in Banbury, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,085
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 16GB Black Sony Tablet Z 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 89
Thanked 197 Times in 152 Posts
Default

I have this:

Buy PNY 64GB Transformer USB Memory Stick - Silver | Free Delivery | Currys

It's pretty small and when I go away from work and want a choice of films then it's valuable to have 64Gb of films to choose from.
MartinS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #44 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 95
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII, Nexus 7, iPad 3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 44 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
Hi all,

Recent N7 owner here. I love the device but admit it really needs an SD card feature. I have 16gb which is more than enough for everyday use but if I wanted to load ALL my music and a few movies, I could see where the space would soon be eaten up. I notice a lot of you are using the OTG cable and a card thumb-drive combo. Doesn't this defeat the object of the device though? Im not sure I want to carry a cable and thumb-drive around on the off-chance that I want to listen to certain albums.

Im not criticizing, just wondering why OTG is so popular As a CompSci professor once told me "Yes you can, but why would you"? Is that the attraction, the fact that its possible but at the end of the day, not very practical?

Thanks!
there are many threads already out there speculating that google was moving away from micro SD cards for a variety of reasons...cost (the Nexus 7 is a low cost device), using the "cloud" more, etc.

at any rate, the OTG cable feature doesn't "defeat" any purpose at all. it opens up the possibility to consume almost anything on your tablet without having to delete and copy files over on a constant basis. i have a 1TB external hard drive that's smaller than a deck of cards, and the N7 powers it without any issues. if i'm going on a trip, i can bring all of my media with me. furthermore, i can delete locally-stored files from the tablet and copy over whatever i want from the hard drive, then unplug the drive and enjoy. all of this, on the go, on an airplane, anywhere. this is a great feature! try doing that with your iPad...

even if the N7 had a microSD slot, it stil wouldn't let you bring all of your media with you, unless you bought a boatload of microSD cards and copied everything onto them, and then brought all of them with you...
boofer is offline  
Last edited by boofer; February 25th, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 519
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
Okay, I'm going to fess up that I couldn't resist. I have to see what this thing can do. I paid a ridiculous amount of money (half of it shipping) that probably isn't worth it even if it can do everything I think it can, but the geek experimenter grabbed my wallet and ordered it from a Japanese web site (who are very good at communicating about the order, so I think I will actually see it).

I saw a Japanese video and it looks like it hugs the side of the Nexus 7 pretty tightly and I think my Folio case will accommodate it.

When I get it, I'll give a complete rundown with pics, no matter how foolish it makes me look. I have no idea when it will get here.
I'm excited to see your results.
magohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 519
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boofer View Post
there are many threads already out there speculating that google was moving away from micro SD cards for a variety of reasons...cost (the Nexus 7 is a low cost device), using the "cloud" more, etc.

at any rate, the OTG cable feature doesn't "defeat" any purpose at all. it opens up the possibility to consume almost anything on your tablet without having to delete and copy files over on a constant basis. i have a 1TB external hard drive that's smaller than a deck of cards, and the N7 powers it without any issues. if i'm going on a trip, i can bring all of my media with me. furthermore, i can delete locally-stored files from the tablet and copy over whatever i want from the hard drive, then unplug the drive and enjoy. all of this, on the go, on an airplane, anywhere. this is a great feature! try doing that with your iPad...

even if the N7 had a microSD slot, it stil wouldn't let you bring all of your media with you, unless you bought a boatload of microSD cards and copied everything onto them, and then brought all of them with you...
This appears to be a circular debate. I understand that its possible and for some people, a handy addition. My question was if its really worth the time/effort for the average Joe. To me, its like the early days of the Pocket PC where yes, I could get email on the device but to do so I needed a cable and my cellphone with me at all times. Yes, it worked, but it was a definite hassle to make sure I had my email 'kit' with me on journeys etc.

I just feel we have progressed so much since the mid-90's and carrying HDs and cables around seems like a step backwards. Until an integrated mini-usb/otg/sd comes on the market, I think Id rather manage my space than worry about cables, HDs, swapping out files etc. At some point it becomes too much work - for me at least
magohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 40 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
This appears to be a circular debate. I understand that its possible and for some people, a handy addition. My question was if its really worth the time/effort for the average Joe. To me, its like the early days of the Pocket PC where yes, I could get email on the device but to do so I needed a cable and my cellphone with me at all times. Yes, it worked, but it was a definite hassle to make sure I had my email 'kit' with me on journeys etc.

I just feel we have progressed so much since the mid-90's and carrying HDs and cables around seems like a step backwards. Until an integrated mini-usb/otg/sd comes on the market, I think Id rather manage my space than worry about cables, HDs, swapping out files etc. At some point it becomes too much work - for me at least
Because you're still not getting that an OTG cable is not meant for the average joe. Thats the whole point. Its a tool for people who wants to do different things that the N7 wasn't meant to do or do things in more granular detail.

The same way most people prefer cell phone cameras and point n shoots because the mainstream masses don't want to go through the hassle of metering light and calculating F stops. You wouldn't tell a professional photographer to just use an iphone to take pictures because its just easier to tap on the screen.
MeatLoafT likes this.
val88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
whs37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida/Germany
Gender: Male
Posts: 595
 
Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: ATT and Deutsche Telecom

Thanks: 106
Thanked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Default

Depends what you do with the N7 - if you want to have a lot of videos available at any place, the OTG is handy. The man who carries 1 Terabyte worth of movies around has no other choice. No SD card reader will solve that problem.
whs37 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whs37 For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (February 25th, 2013)
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 519
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by val88 View Post
Because you're still not getting that an OTG cable is not meant for the average joe. Thats the whole point. Its a tool for people who wants to do different things that the N7 wasn't meant to do or do things in more granular detail.

The same way most people prefer cell phone cameras and point n shoots because the mainstream masses don't want to go through the hassle of metering light and calculating F stops. You wouldn't tell a professional photographer to just use an iphone to take pictures because its just easier to tap on the screen.
Then its more experiment than practical. So for most people, its too much of a hassle. Im looking for a practical solution rather than leaving the house with my McGyver belt just in case I want to watch a video.
magohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #50 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
MeatLoafT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 65
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5, Nexus 7 (Wifi Only)
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 10
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

My cable was delivered yesterday, and woohoo! :-)
I'm not rooted, but using Nexus Media Importer, I can get the space I was using for movies and music cleared off of my Nexus 7!
MeatLoafT is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.