Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By seVer
  • 1 Post By sdrawkcab25

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Takes forever to charge?

This is probably just the way it is. I have owned my n7 for over a month and this has always been the case. It takes forever to charge.... like hours to get a full charge... I am hoping someone around here has a trick to share with this, hence the post. Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

musiclover7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
n4zty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,302
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 Nexus 7 Unlocked and Rooted
Carrier: MetroPcs

Thanks: 670
Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,080 Posts
Default

did u allow your device to drain all the way? well for me ive updated to 4.2.2 and it takes 40 min to charge to 100% ofcourse i never allow it to drain to more than 15% since these devices are nortorious for having battery issues after discharging to 0%
__________________
Musician and Beat producer check out my beatz @ http://soundcloud.com/chosen-1-records
n4zty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 592
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid RAZR, RAZR MAXX HD, Google Nexus 7.
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 105
Thanked 83 Times in 77 Posts
Default

2 tests:

1) drain to !, then plug in. then start a timer. check it until it's 100%

2) drain to !, then power off, and then plug in. start a timer. check until it's 100%.

if takes longer to charge while still powered on, then something is draining it while it's charging. i.e. - something running in the background that doesn't allow it to charge as efficiently. to find out if something you installed or a core program...

drain until red but not quite !, then reboot into safe mode (hold power, long press power off, select to reboot into safe mode). once powered back on, plug in, start a timer...

if it charges ok, then a 3rd party app is causing issue. if it STILL doesn't charge well, then it's time for a factory reset as something with the main programming isn't running right.
__________________
~ ~ ~ ~
If you get an answer to a question, do everybody else a favor and post back your results.
~ ~ ~ ~
seVer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 592
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid RAZR, RAZR MAXX HD, Google Nexus 7.
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 105
Thanked 83 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4zty View Post
did u allow your device to drain all the way? well for me ive updated to 4.2.2 and it takes 40 min to charge to 100% ofcourse i never allow it to drain to more than 15% since these devices are nortorious for having battery issues after discharging to 0%
not sure what notoriety there is. I've used until it just died. once it charged, I was able to power it back on no problem. I think I've done this a few times...
n4zty likes this.
seVer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
n4zty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,302
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 Nexus 7 Unlocked and Rooted
Carrier: MetroPcs

Thanks: 670
Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,080 Posts
Default Re: Takes forever to charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seVer View Post
not sure what notoriety there is. I've used until it just died. once it charged, I was able to power it back on no problem. I think I've done this a few times...
Well it's been a common issue that has been posted numerous of time on this subforum I suppose your lucky it hasn't happened to you.
n4zty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 310
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 66 Times in 57 Posts
Default

My N7 charges at about 35% per hour, though the charging rate decreases as it approaches 100%. I generally don't let it get lower than 40% battery, and from this level it charges to 90% within a couple of hours and is showing fully charged after about three hours.
jhsrennie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Takes forever to charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsrennie View Post
My N7 charges at about 35% per hour, though the charging rate decreases as it approaches 100%. I generally don't let it get lower than 40% battery, and from this level it charges to 90% within a couple of hours and is showing fully charged after about three hours.
That is about what I am seeing. To me it is pretty bad. I am going to try powering off while I charge. My kids have worn the battery down all the way a few times. Hope that is not the issue. On most devices that is a god practice to revive the battery....
musiclover7 is offline  
Last edited by musiclover7; March 10th, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waterfoot, Lancashire
Gender: Male
Posts: 807
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Motorola Milestone
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 40
Thanked 260 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
That is about what I am seeing. To me it is pretty bad. I am going to try powering off while I charge. My kids have worn the battery down all the way a few times. Hope that is not the issue. On most devices that is a god practice to revive the battery....
Maybe it was good practice back when NiCd was state of the art, but with Li-Ion it's not only not necessary but is far more likely to kill a dying battery than revive it.

With modern Li-Ion batteries best practice is charge often and avoid deep discharge if at all possible - exactly the opposite of the advice given for NiCd batteries.
John Bean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,539
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Rooted HTC Incredible, Stock 4G Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (32GB)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 470
Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,327 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bean View Post
Maybe it was good practice back when NiCd was state of the art, but with Li-Ion it's not only not necessary but is far more likely to kill a dying battery than revive it.

With modern Li-Ion batteries best practice is charge often and avoid deep discharge if at all possible - exactly the opposite of the advice given for NiCd batteries.

^^^ this.... best to not allow a lion battery to fully discharge. Quick charging is also bad for the battery. And if you want to be a real stickler for preserving the battery, it should only be charged when off. Parasitic charges are harmful to the life of the battery.

A lot of useful information on charging batteries here:
http:// http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries
n4zty likes this.
sdrawkcab25 is offline  
Last edited by sdrawkcab25; March 10th, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdrawkcab25 For This Useful Post:
n4zty (March 10th, 2013)
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
n4zty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,302
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 Nexus 7 Unlocked and Rooted
Carrier: MetroPcs

Thanks: 670
Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,080 Posts
Default Re: Takes forever to charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrawkcab25 View Post
^^^ this.... best to not allow a lion battery to fully discharge. Quick charging is also bad for the battery. And if you want to be a real stickler for preserving the battery, it should only be charged when off. Parasitic charges are harmful to the life of the battery.

A lot of useful information on charging batteries here:
http:// http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries
Cool info and what's funny that's the only way I charge my n7 hmmmm seems no wonder my device has never given me Probs. Thanks for sharing that
n4zty is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Make sure you are using the charger that came with the device.
Most phone chargers are rated 1A or less. The official charger is 2A.
FTMatty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 310
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 66 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
That is about what I am seeing. To me it is pretty bad. I am going to try powering off while I charge. My kids have worn the battery down all the way a few times. Hope that is not the issue. On most devices that is a god practice to revive the battery....
Well the N7 has a 4325mAh battery. Even charging at the full 2A the charger can provide would take over two hours. The charger seems to be a bit on the conservative side, but that may be to avoid overheating the battery.
jhsrennie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.