Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By seVer
  • 1 Post By sdrawkcab25

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Takes forever to charge?

This is probably just the way it is. I have owned my n7 for over a month and this has always been the case. It takes forever to charge.... like hours to get a full charge... I am hoping someone around here has a trick to share with this, hence the post. Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

sponsored links
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 Nexus 7 Unlocked and Rooted
Carrier: MetroPcs

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,080 Posts

did u allow your device to drain all the way? well for me ive updated to 4.2.2 and it takes 40 min to charge to 100% ofcourse i never allow it to drain to more than 15% since these devices are nortorious for having battery issues after discharging to 0%
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid RAZR, RAZR MAXX HD, Google Nexus 7.
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

2 tests:

1) drain to !, then plug in. then start a timer. check it until it's 100%

2) drain to !, then power off, and then plug in. start a timer. check until it's 100%.

if takes longer to charge while still powered on, then something is draining it while it's charging. i.e. - something running in the background that doesn't allow it to charge as efficiently. to find out if something you installed or a core program...

drain until red but not quite !, then reboot into safe mode (hold power, long press power off, select to reboot into safe mode). once powered back on, plug in, start a timer...

if it charges ok, then a 3rd party app is causing issue. if it STILL doesn't charge well, then it's time for a factory reset as something with the main programming isn't running right.
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid RAZR, RAZR MAXX HD, Google Nexus 7.
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4zty View Post
did u allow your device to drain all the way? well for me ive updated to 4.2.2 and it takes 40 min to charge to 100% ofcourse i never allow it to drain to more than 15% since these devices are nortorious for having battery issues after discharging to 0%
not sure what notoriety there is. I've used until it just died. once it charged, I was able to power it back on no problem. I think I've done this a few times...
n4zty likes this.
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: Takes forever to charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seVer View Post
not sure what notoriety there is. I've used until it just died. once it charged, I was able to power it back on no problem. I think I've done this a few times...
Well it's been a common issue that has been posted numerous of time on this subforum I suppose your lucky it hasn't happened to you.
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

My N7 charges at about 35% per hour, though the charging rate decreases as it approaches 100%. I generally don't let it get lower than 40% battery, and from this level it charges to 90% within a couple of hours and is showing fully charged after about three hours.
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsrennie View Post
My N7 charges at about 35% per hour, though the charging rate decreases as it approaches 100%. I generally don't let it get lower than 40% battery, and from this level it charges to 90% within a couple of hours and is showing fully charged after about three hours.
That is about what I am seeing. To me it is pretty bad. I am going to try powering off while I charge. My kids have worn the battery down all the way a few times. Hope that is not the issue. On most devices that is a god practice to revive the battery....
Last edited by musiclover7; March 10th, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old March 10th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Motorola Milestone
Carrier: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
That is about what I am seeing. To me it is pretty bad. I am going to try powering off while I charge. My kids have worn the battery down all the way a few times. Hope that is not the issue. On most devices that is a god practice to revive the battery....
Maybe it was good practice back when NiCd was state of the art, but with Li-Ion it's not only not necessary but is far more likely to kill a dying battery than revive it.

With modern Li-Ion batteries best practice is charge often and avoid deep discharge if at all possible - exactly the opposite of the advice given for NiCd batteries.
Old March 10th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Rooted HTC Incredible, Stock 4G Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (32GB)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bean View Post
Maybe it was good practice back when NiCd was state of the art, but with Li-Ion it's not only not necessary but is far more likely to kill a dying battery than revive it.

With modern Li-Ion batteries best practice is charge often and avoid deep discharge if at all possible - exactly the opposite of the advice given for NiCd batteries.

^^^ this.... best to not allow a lion battery to fully discharge. Quick charging is also bad for the battery. And if you want to be a real stickler for preserving the battery, it should only be charged when off. Parasitic charges are harmful to the life of the battery.

A lot of useful information on charging batteries here:
http:// http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries
n4zty likes this.
Last edited by sdrawkcab25; March 10th, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sdrawkcab25 For This Useful Post:
n4zty (March 10th, 2013)
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrawkcab25 View Post
^^^ this.... best to not allow a lion battery to fully discharge. Quick charging is also bad for the battery. And if you want to be a real stickler for preserving the battery, it should only be charged when off. Parasitic charges are harmful to the life of the battery.

A lot of useful information on charging batteries here:
http:// http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries
Cool info and what's funny that's the only way I charge my n7 hmmmm seems no wonder my device has never given me Probs. Thanks for sharing that
sponsored links
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Make sure you are using the charger that came with the device.
Most phone chargers are rated 1A or less. The official charger is 2A.
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
Well the N7 has a 4325mAh battery. Even charging at the full 2A the charger can provide would take over two hours. The charger seems to be a bit on the conservative side, but that may be to avoid overheating the battery.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)