Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 15th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 7 Motorola Photon
Carrier: Sprint

Exclamation Volume Inconsistency? Gets louder and softer for no reason whatsoever?

So I had this problem with my nexus 7 and 10. (though I no longer have my N7). I'm posting here and in the N10 forum, because the N10 seems deserted, and This problem persisted across both devices. And since their both Nexus software problems, the same fix should work with both.)

when listening to music on the speakers on full volume, it is quiet. As in I have to strain a bit to watch youtube videos, and Netflix is way too quiet to use. But then suddenly for no discernible reason the volume would ramp up really loud for a few seconds, then it would go back to being quiet. But the thing is, that's the volume its SUPPOSED to be at. But the volume sounds like what it would be if I put headphones in and then cranked the volume. (and didn't put them on). I know for a fact that I have never put headphones in this device at all at any point, so I know that the N10 isn't somehow confused with it thinking the headphones are somehow still attached and it adjusts the volume accordingly. Although I do use a Bluetooth speaker, but that's used to make it louder, and I've never taken the bluetooth volume off of full either. (Used the external controls).

This is making my device impossible to use for anything that I actually WANT it to do! Yeah sure, little games and stuff are fine, I don't need that much volume. But how am I supposed to watch Torchwood when all the voices are whispers and the explosions sound like finger snaps (and not BOOM)? This coupled with the fact that when I share location data (For google now) It restarts itself every few hours. I am so frustrated with google. These are supposed to be the best of the best products!

sponsored links
Old March 15th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not Entitled

Device(s): Nexus 5(u,r), N7.2-32(u,r), Nook Color, iPad2, Asus EEE Transformer w/ dock (stock)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 1,316 Times in 556 Posts

I haven't experienced your problem but I have a few thoughts. I don't mean to be insulting but could your problem be the dynamic range of the audio you're listening to? I've got movies I hate watching at night on TV because the dynamic range (the range of quietest parts to loudest parts) is so great, I either can't hear dialog or I'm lunging for the remote so as not to wake my lovely and talented wife. Hot Fuzz is the movie that messes with me on that front.

When two separate devices made by two different manufacturers are exhibiting the same problem, I have to consider what's common. Are you running some volume boosting app like Volume+?

Apple tells people what they want, Microsoft asks what people want, Google gives people what they want (for 15 minutes).

Site Rules, for your convenience
Old March 15th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

no, I don't have any volume boosters or anything. And I was thinking its a problem with the Operating system.

But what I mean is that if a character was trying to say a sentence in a quiet room, they would be speaking softly then SUDENNLY SHOUT A FEW words and then finish the sentence normally. if I go back it doesn't happen again. it also randomly gets loud like that for music and games. For about two sends, then back to the normal way too quiet voices.
Old March 15th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

seconds I mean. not sends.
Old March 15th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not Entitled

Device(s): Nexus 5(u,r), N7.2-32(u,r), Nook Color, iPad2, Asus EEE Transformer w/ dock (stock)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 1,316 Times in 556 Posts
Default Re: Volume Inconsistency? Gets louder and softer for no reason whatsoever?

Gotcha. I've got no idea. I've got Torchwood, first season on DVD so maybe I'll load a few episodes on my N7 and see what happens.
Old March 15th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I don't know man. Its weird. I wouldn't be bothered all that much if it was at least loud enough to listen to. But its using its inside voice when it should be playing outside you know?
Tags
bluetooth, nexus 10, nexus 7, support

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)