Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By bigbyrd
  • 1 Post By strollin

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 26th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Cool Picked up a 7.2!!!

Went to check out the Nexus 7.2 at best buy, figuring they weren't selling them until the 30th. Got a pleasant surprise when the rep told me they were available for purchase. Picked up a 32gb to replace my original 7, which I'm passing on to my mom since the nook I bought her took a crap just over the year mark.

Pretty happy with my two recent Google purchases, the 7.2 and chromecast (which has been working flawlessly all day). Just waiting on more apps to add cast in....happy day!!
RichSz and El Presidente like this.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default New Nexus 7...I want one!

Excellent!!! I have to save up or get on for Christmas..lol
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, Acer Chromebook
Carrier: T-Mobile

Awesome deal, man!
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

they got those for sale in my local staples. Im so tempted to go out and buy but at the same time im pretty ok with Original Nexus 7 not to mention i got it in February for the second time. My first Nexus 7 broke so that's why i bought it twice!
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com

And to think today was payday for me . Perfect timing picked one up after I got off work haven't played with it much, but first impressions I must say the screen is pretty beautiful
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): OnePlus Galaxy S4 Nexus 7.2
Carrier: AT&T

Snagged one at best buy too, traded in my transformer tab to save some cash on it.
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 (Tmobile), Nexus 7 (2013).
Carrier: T Mobile

Came Home from work and decided to see what Best Buy had online and noticed the store right next to me had the 16 gig in stock so after mulling a bit (my first tablet so glad I waited) I went to buy one and after fiddling with the Nexus 7.2 on display I asked the salesperson if they had the 32gig and he said they just got them in stock so bought the 32 instead. Google and Asus as a team rocks.
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): LG G2, Nexus 7.2, Surface Pro 3
Carrier: Verizon

I picked up a 16G 7.2 at Staples yesterday. They didn't even have them on display yet, I had to ask about them. After playing with it awhile, I told the salesman I would take it but he thought they couldn't sell them until the 28th but checked and found he could.

I just got a notice that the Chromecast dongle I ordered from Google Play has shipped so I should have that in the next few days.

It's almost like Christmas with 2 new gadgets in 1 week to play with! (I also ordered a Slimport adapter from Amazon that should come this week).
RichSz likes this.
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S5 - Nexus 7, Nexus 7 2
Carrier: VZW

Anyone with experience with both, can you tell if the WiFi signal is stronger? For example, at my house, we use it in our back yard quite often. When my Galaxy S3 and Xoom picks up a strong Wifi signal from my router, the Nexus 7 doesn't get a connection. I am hoping they made it stronger in the 2nd generation.
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

I just pick up one at Staples (couldn't resist the new high resolution screen), but one weird thing happened. As soon as I typed in my wifi password, it immediately said, "I'm installing a system update" and rebooted to do the install. When it came back, I had to go through the initial setup one more time, and then it downloaded yet another system update and installed it. As near as I can tell, they all claim to be 4.3 so I don't know what all the updating was about.

I see they even improved the box: This one had much easier to cut tape showing it was still factory sealed, and there were cutouts for your fingers to get a grip so you could open the box :-).
sponsored links
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
I just pick up one at Staples (couldn't resist the new high resolution screen), but one weird thing happened. As soon as I typed in my wifi password, it immediately said, "I'm installing a system update" and rebooted to do the install. When it came back, I had to go through the initial setup one more time, and then it downloaded yet another system update and installed it. As near as I can tell, they all claim to be 4.3 so I don't know what all the updating was about.

I see they even improved the box: This one had much easier to cut tape showing it was still factory sealed, and there were cutouts for your fingers to get a grip so you could open the box :-).
They all are getting two updates, the first one is forced, but the second can be put off.
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTacoma View Post
Anyone with experience with both, can you tell if the WiFi signal is stronger? For example, at my house, we use it in our back yard quite often. When my Galaxy S3 and Xoom picks up a strong Wifi signal from my router, the Nexus 7 doesn't get a connection. I am hoping they made it stronger in the 2nd generation.
I can't really speak to whether or not the wifi is any better with the new one (I never had issues with the old one) but the new one supports 5Ghz band routers. Our router is a dual band (2.4 & 5Ghz) and the old N7 didn't even see the ssid for the 5Ghz but the new one sees and can connect to either band.
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): LG G2, Galaxy Note 3

Just cruised by Best Buy to see if they had a Nexus 7.2 on display. They didn't have one out on display but they had one behind the counter to let people test drive. I immediately could tell the difference in the display from the old one, much more crisp and defined.

I wasn't really that interested in buying one but figured I would see if they would match the Staples coupon of $30 off. They got the manager and he said the Staples price online didn't reflect that deal. I pulled up the ad on my S4 and he read the terms, then told the cashier to apply the discount. At this time I felt I was committed to buying one since they went to all that trouble, so I walked out with new 16gb for 199 plus AZ tax.

Holding it side by side to the old one, you can really tell how much better this one is than the original. Still need time to play with it to compare performance, but the initial impression is that it is quite the upgrade.

Chris...
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up5dn View Post
I wasn't really that interested in buying one but figured I would see if they would match the Staples coupon of $30 off.
That's interesting because Staples wouldn't take the Staples coupon for the new Nexus 7 (probably why they didn't have them on display - they are waiting till the coupon expires).
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid

http://m.staples.com/Nexus-7-32GB-Tablet-from-Google/product_215185

Thanks to all of you they are out of stock online. Ha. No 32 GB at any of my local stores. And best buy and Walmart don't honor the 30$ off Staples coupon. Does anyone know if any other stores honor the coupon?
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TharOosta View Post
Nexus 7 32GB Tablet from Google™ | Staples®

Thanks to all of you they are out of stock online. Ha. No 32 GB at any of my local stores. And best buy and Walmart don't honor the 30$ off Staples coupon. Does anyone know if any other stores honor the coupon?
walmart didn't honor it?!?!? they are supposed to honor all competitors coupons that are a set amount of dollars off so that is crazy
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (Virgin Mobile) Google Nexus 7 2013

I'm hoping case stands for the new version start appearing fairly soon. I don't feel comfortable leaving the house with it without some decent screen protection.
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc12868 View Post
walmart didn't honor it?!?!? they are supposed to honor all competitors coupons that are a set amount of dollars off so that is crazy
Something about "not a manufacturers coupon" and it doesn't have a barcode , yada yada yada.
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

The Staples $30 off coupon specifically excludes the new N7s. If you read the fine print it excludes "e-Readers and item numbers 215185 & 215186" which happen to be the Staples numbers for the 16 & 32G N7.2s.
Last edited by strollin; July 27th, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
The Staples $30 off coupon specifically excludes the new N7s. If you read the fine print it excludes "e-Readers and item numbers 215185 & 215186" which happen to be the Staples numbers for the 16 & 32G N7.2s.
I don't see any of that anywhere...

http://m.staples.com/coupons
sponsored links
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
I can't really speak to whether or not the wifi is any better with the new one (I never had issues with the old one) but the new one supports 5Ghz band routers. Our router is a dual band (2.4 & 5Ghz) and the old N7 didn't even see the ssid for the 5Ghz but the new one sees and can connect to either band.
Thanks. I ended up buying one due to your suggestion. It may be time for a new router that supports 5ghz and extended range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up5dn View Post
Just cruised by Best Buy to see if they had a Nexus 7.2 on display. They didn't have one out on display but they had one behind the counter to let people test drive. I immediately could tell the difference in the display from the old one, much more crisp and defined.

I wasn't really that interested in buying one but figured I would see if they would match the Staples coupon of $30 off. They got the manager and he said the Staples price online didn't reflect that deal. I pulled up the ad on my S4 and he read the terms, then told the cashier to apply the discount. At this time I felt I was committed to buying one since they went to all that trouble, so I walked out with new 16gb for 199 plus AZ tax.

Holding it side by side to the old one, you can really tell how much better this one is than the original. Still need time to play with it to compare performance, but the initial impression is that it is quite the upgrade.

Chris...
My local Best Buy honored the $30 Staples coupon today also. Pretty happy with the purchase for $199. So far, I'm not blown away by the differences between the two generations, but it does appear to be a worthy upgrade. My wife is pretty excited she won't have to share hers anymore
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
My local Best Buy honored the $30 Staples coupon today also. Pretty happy with the purchase for $199. So far, I'm not blown away by the differences between the two generations, but it does appear to be a worthy upgrade. My wife is pretty excited she won't have to share hers anymore
Did you print the coupon or show on your phone? How did you get them to honor the coupon, they wouldn't touch mine?
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

I showed him the coupon on my phone. He went to the website and printed it off. He asked his manager then came back and honored it.
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Galaxy S4, Note 2, Nexus 4, 7, 7.2 & 10
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
I showed him the coupon on my phone. He went to the website and printed it off. He asked his manager then came back and honored it.
Good job!

After enjoying my original Nexus 7 so much, I was eager for the new model with its upgrades and improvements. When I read they were already in Best Buy yesterday, I dropped what I was doing and immediately went in and bought one. The old one was built well, yet this one is even better. The Nexus 7.2 is a very impressive tablet.
Old July 28th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TharOosta View Post
Old July 28th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s):

I ended up ordering from Amazon yesterday afternoon and had it by 9am this morning. Wife checked with Amazon later last night and they were sold out so I guess they went pretty fast.

Oh and Best Buy was already sold out before I checked with Amazon.
Old July 28th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #27 (permalink)

The coupon expired today anyways. So I just went to my local best buy and bought the 32 for full price. Doesn't bother me, this thing is awesome! I'm giving my 2012 to my fiance.
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s):

I saw that the best buy had it where I live. i ran over there and purchased the last 32 gig one they had! these things are flying off the shelves. What a device!
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:15 AM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One X HTC EVO V 4G (Virgin) Nexus 7.2 iPhone 4S (Main Phone) :p
Carrier: MetroPCS

faroeseviking@gmail.com

Got mine from Walmart. Ordered Saturday, got it Tuesday. Thought I was going to have to wait till next week. Love it already. Just what I needed and I'm glad I waited for the second edition. I've wanted this for about 6 months.
Tags
32gb, chromecast, nexus 7, nexus 7.2

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)