Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 26th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 4, LG Shine Plus, Galaxy Tab 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Screen blinking everywhere!

I bought my gf the Nexus 7 last year and I was looking at it with her just the other day, and I noticed that the screen was blinking. It wasn't fully going black when blinking, but it was noticeably going darker and lighter no matter what I did on that tablet. She doesn't treat it bad, so I do not know what the problem could have stemmed from? Is there any advice you guys have about this problem?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old October 26th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): HP TouchPad, HTC One Max, Dell Venue 11 Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 1,819 Times in 1,412 Posts

The HP Touchpad camera sometimes quits working and pressing the area around the camera reseats the connector and it starts working again. You might be able to do something similar if you can figure out which cable connects the LCD to the mother board in your N7. Here's a tear down guide, but a better one might have better pictures: Nexus 7 (Gen 1) Take Apart Screen Repair Guide

The idea is to reseat the connector, not break the screen.

Plan "B" might be to open it and reconnect the connector, but this is something reserved for someone who's done this before or has the patience to do this without wrecking it.
Old October 27th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

We've had reports of N7s doing this when the brightness was set to auto. I forget what the resolution was. I haven't seen any such posts for a while so maybe it was fixed by the more recent versions of the software.
Old October 27th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 4, LG Shine Plus, Galaxy Tab 10.1

I haven't had time because of school to help her upgrade to 4.3, right now she's still on 4.2.2. Maybe that's why, I'll try upgrading and playing with her brightness and see if that helps before trying to take it apart.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Motion 4G, Google Nexus 7 LTE
Carrier: MetroPCS, T-Mobile

Send a message via Skype™ to TheAmazingDave xbigdx408x@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsrennie View Post
We've had reports of N7s doing this when the brightness was set to auto. I forget what the resolution was. I haven't seen any such posts for a while so maybe it was fixed by the more recent versions of the software.
If OP is talking about the brightness flickering, this is a possible culprit. I noticed the screen brightness would constantly adjust with stock firmware. Since I installed Cyanogenmod, however, the autobrightness seems to transition much smoother and seems to average measurements over a longer time period as it doesn't adjust as often or as quickly.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid Eris, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 32 GB - Wifi, HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingDave View Post
If OP is talking about the brightness flickering, this is a possible culprit. I noticed the screen brightness would constantly adjust with stock firmware. Since I installed Cyanogenmod, however, the autobrightness seems to transition much smoother and seems to average measurements over a longer time period as it doesn't adjust as often or as quickly.
For me, at low manual brightness, the is a faint "flicker" when there is network traffic. However its only noticeable if your looking a white static page in pitch black darkness. Its unnoticeable during video and it doesn't do it if Wifi is sitting idle or on higher brightnesses, so I've learned to live with it.

From what I've seen, its such a common problem, I didn't feel it worth even trying to RMA if my replacement does the same thing.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)