Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2013)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Default Review of RAVPower Qi-enabled wireless charger w/lots of pics!!!

This is a review of RAVPower Qi-enabled wireless charger. RAVPowerŽ Qi-Enabled Single-Position Wireless Charger Charging Pad - White(US Version) , Amazon.com: RAVPowerŽ Wireless Charger Charging Pad Qi-Enabled USB Charger Phone Charger for Nexus 5 / 7 / 4; Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note3, Note2; Droid Charge; LG Optimus LTE2, Spectrum; HTC Rezound, Incredible 2, Incredible 4 LTE; Motorola Droid 4;

I was always envious of devices that have wireless charging enabled, especially since my Note 2 had that feature disabled by Verizon. Now, I finally got a chance to experience it with our new Nexus 7 HD tablet. As you aware, the official wireless Nexus 7 charger is $50+ and I wasn't too crazy about small footprint and thickness of it, makes the tablet easier to knock off. After some search, I decided to test universal wireless charging pad from RAVPower. Here is what I found.

The product arrived in a nicely packaged box. It included the wireless charger pad, VERY high quality usb to micro usb charging cable with 22AWG wires (those are thicker wires with high current and high voltage rating!!!), a quality AC usb wall adapter with 1.5A rating, and a detailed manual. The best usb charging wire I was ever able to get in the past for my Note's 2A charging was w/24AWG gauge wires, 22AWG is actually rare. The charging pad is very lightweight, only 3.8 oz, and has very slim dimensions of 5.7" x 3.1" x 0.3". This is very important because you don't want your tablet to be wobbling on a small and thick charger pad. The top surface has sandblasted finish and there is a rubber ring in the middle for additional non-slip grip. The front of the pad has led which is red when you power up the pad, and blinking white/red when you are charging your device. The other end has micro-usb port for a power cable. That's all, very simple and clean.

All you have to do is power it up and put your Nexus 7 on top, approximately centered in the middle. You hear a beep and it starts charging. I have a little charging-doctor dongle which monitors the current and I confirmed 0.8A which means the pad was actually drawing 1A of charging current without a dongle (the dongle by itself draws it's own current to power up led display and internal circuit). I did this test without a case just to show maximum charging speed. With a case, I'm using my last year N7 case temporary while waiting for new ones to arrive, I had no issue charging it as well, but I'm sure charging current/speed will be a bit less since the case adds a distance between wireless pad transmitter and N7 receiver.

Overall, I was very impressed with this product and can definitely recommend it to any Nexus 7 HD user. Keep in mind, this is universal charging pad so it will work with your Nexus 7 or any other Qi-enabled wireless charging devices from Samsung, LG, Nokia, etc. For $35 shipped US locally, backed by 1 year warranty, and including 1.5A usb AC wall charger and very high quality usb charging cable - its a great value!

Here are the pictures.

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
brosko (December 20th, 2013), Furious10 (January 12th, 2014), LuvMusic (December 21st, 2013)
sponsored links
Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

how long is usb cable? I presume it doesn't come with wall charger, does it work with oem asus charger?
Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

chinese, ebay, $14, works through my Poetic case, arrived in less than a week.

Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad for LG E960 Google Nexus 4 Nexus 7 2G Black | eBay
Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Quote:
Originally Posted by unnamedny View Post
how long is usb cable? I presume it doesn't come with wall charger, does it work with oem asus charger?
Cable was pretty long, at least 3-4ft. Wall charger was included. Should be universal with any qi-enabled receiver.

That other ebay link above has a similar pad, but it's not exactly like the one I got since the one from ravpower has non-slip top surface and doesn't need ventilated bottom. Makes me wonder why do they need ventilated bottom grill, does it get overheated? Gotta be careful with that stuff.
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default RAVpower Unplug?

Should this qi charger be unplugged between charges to protect longevity?
Old December 30th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkwak View Post
Should this qi charger be unplugged between charges to protect longevity?
sort of defeats the purpose, no?
Old December 30th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
sort of defeats the purpose, no?
yes if this is in fact the case do we know for certain ? there was another reason I purchased the Qi device. the micro SD port on my 7 2013 LTE looks poorly made and prone to wear so I thought I'd save wear and tear by using the key device, the poetic slimline case, and an off button app.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2013)