Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus One

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 5th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Ngo93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 588
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 71
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Default Trackball Alert vs Light Flow

Has anyone seen if either 1 of these apps pulls ahead of the other? Really just looking to see which is the best 1 overall between the 2 since I'm picking up my Nexus in a few.

Advertisements
Ngo93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pompey, UK
Posts: 1,635
 
Device(s): Google Nexus 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 193 Times in 165 Posts
Default

Trackball Alert requires special framework, Light Flow works on anything.
__________________
Google Nexus 4 on Giffgaff UK
Speed Test Result
Rusty is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
Ngo93 (March 6th, 2011)
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 75
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I would vote for light flow, but I feel i may be a little biased given i'm the developer!
Trackball alert was my inspiration for light flow, but i wanted stock roms, so bought a book, (never used it) and learnt to develop for android!
andrewpmoore is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewpmoore For This Useful Post:
Ngo93 (March 9th, 2011)
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Ngo93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 588
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 71
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Thank you very much for the Light Flow app! I am currently using it right now and it works like a charm ^^
Tiny suggestion though if I may, will there be an update that lets us control how long the intervals are between the flashing of the trackball? Like setting it to 4 seconds in between or 7 and such.
Ngo93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Roselle, ILLinois
Posts: 186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngo93 View Post
Thank you very much for the Light Flow app! I am currently using it right now and it works like a charm ^^
Tiny suggestion though if I may, will there be an update that lets us control how long the intervals are between the flashing of the trackball? Like setting it to 4 seconds in between or 7 and such.
Man that would be awesome...One app I DL'ed, the dev. told me the controls for interval were too deep into the phone for a simple non rooted [jone.
Sumtin like that...
__________________
Justanotherguy
justanotherguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 75
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngo93 View Post
Thank you very much for the Light Flow app! I am currently using it right now and it works like a charm ^^
Tiny suggestion though if I may, will there be an update that lets us control how long the intervals are between the flashing of the trackball? Like setting it to 4 seconds in between or 7 and such.
Do you mean the flash speed? There's currently fast / slow and always on.

Slow is the default android uses, fast is the default for the app. Always on doesn't work on the nexus one.

Code wise I can set the length of time the light should be on and the amount it should be off, but with the nexus one it seems to pretty much ignore most of the settings.

If you do mean the flash speed, then I'll try have another play with it for some longer gaps. I was looking more for faster flashing than slower flashing, so longer pauses may be possible.
andrewpmoore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Ngo93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 588
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 71
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Yeah I meant the flash speed. Like will you be putting an option for us to directly set how many seconds are inbetween each flash? Like I was hoping for a speed about in the middle of the slow and fast setting.
Ngo93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 75
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngo93 View Post
Yeah I meant the flash speed. Like will you be putting an option for us to directly set how many seconds are inbetween each flash? Like I was hoping for a speed about in the middle of the slow and fast setting.
I'll take a look. Might just add a middle speed first as that will be quick and easy if it works.
andrewpmoore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Ngo93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 588
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 71
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpmoore View Post
I'll take a look. Might just add a middle speed first as that will be quick and easy if it works.
Ah thank you very much for hearing me out with my suggestions ^^
Ngo93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Roselle, ILLinois
Posts: 186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I downloaded it just to set the TB to red or blue for texts and voicemails..
SO far with the texts it is awesome, best TB alert app I've used.
the blink frequency is pretty darn good for me. 4 seconds? something better than the 7-8 seconds another app had.
Seems frequent enough to work when I am glancing over. before I had to glance and stare a long while...
Whats the paid version get?
it sure wasnt much $$....Think I will pay the price!!
justanotherguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 31st, 2011, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 75
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
I downloaded it just to set the TB to red or blue for texts and voicemails..
SO far with the texts it is awesome, best TB alert app I've used.
the blink frequency is pretty darn good for me. 4 seconds? something better than the 7-8 seconds another app had.
Seems frequent enough to work when I am glancing over. before I had to glance and stare a long while...
Whats the paid version get?
it sure wasnt much $$....Think I will pay the price!!
I bit late back to this, forgot to subscribe to e-mail notifications.
The paid for version gets much faster changes between succession colors and about another 20 apps that are supported.
andrewpmoore is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewpmoore For This Useful Post:
minibee041 (April 5th, 2011)
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
minibee041's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Leicester, England
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): N1 Rooted with cyanogen 7.1 (retired to wife), NEXUS PRIME stock - for now (still can't hear it ring
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks andrewpmoore for this great app, I set it all up about two weeks ago and the latest updates add extra functionality so cheers. If you add any more supported apps can I give a request for colornote please. Only one i've not got set up and I use alot. The pro version is excellent cheers again
minibee041 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 75
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibee041 View Post
Thanks andrewpmoore for this great app, I set it all up about two weeks ago and the latest updates add extra functionality so cheers. If you add any more supported apps can I give a request for colornote please. Only one i've not got set up and I use alot. The pro version is excellent cheers again
I've added ColorNote to my list to add.
andrewpmoore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Just a thank you to Andrew, great app!

I always thought root access was required for such accessibility.
volsey is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volsey For This Useful Post:
andrewpmoore (April 12th, 2011)
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default XLsms

Firstly, I have to say Light Flow definitely gets my vote. It has been the missing link I have been after. I have been using XLsms as my standard messaging app purely because of the integration of sending cheap international texts. But its notification features are pretty basic which is why I use Light Flow. The only thing I can't work out is turning the flash led after a message has been read.
cumonthepaj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 75
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumonthepaj View Post
Firstly, I have to say Light Flow definitely gets my vote. It has been the missing link I have been after. I have been using XLsms as my standard messaging app purely because of the integration of sending cheap international texts. But its notification features are pretty basic which is why I use Light Flow. The only thing I can't work out is turning the flash led after a message has been read.
It won't switch off at the moment because it's not an app i monitor for (switching on sms is done differently)
The good news is after seeing this post i've just added xlsms to the supported apps for the next release.
andrewpmoore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Romania
Posts: 105
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I've been using light flow for a while and I'm quite happy with it. I used Missed Call before that, but Missed Call only worked with calls and texts; this one works with others (Gmail, Calendar, etc.)

An excellent app for the N1!

PS: I had the option to switch my N1 with my wife's Deside HD, but I kept my N1 and the main reason is the trackball.
phlojo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 75
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlojo View Post
I've been using light flow for a while and I'm quite happy with it. I used Missed Call before that, but Missed Call only worked with calls and texts; this one works with others (Gmail, Calendar, etc.)

An excellent app for the N1!

PS: I had the option to switch my N1 with my wife's Deside HD, but I kept my N1 and the main reason is the trackball.
Thanks. My wife also has a Desire HD and I wouldn't have it because off the missing trackball. The problem is, I don't see any phones coming along that have what I want. Motorola phones and Sony are supported pretty well for notification lights with LightFlow, but I also love the car dock and desktop dock for the N1.
andrewpmoore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 112
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Default

its nearly awesome, but on my Galaxy Nexus it's almost constantly flashing green even when there are no notifications. which is pretty annoying.
w0bbl3r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 75
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0bbl3r View Post
its nearly awesome, but on my Galaxy Nexus it's almost constantly flashing green even when there are no notifications. which is pretty annoying.
Try adding the debug widget to see what notification is causing the issue.my guess would be gtalk if you use it. I've got a fix coming for that on the galaxy nexus.
andrewpmoore is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Roselle, ILLinois
Posts: 186
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpmoore View Post
Try adding the debug widget to see what notification is causing the issue.my guess would be gtalk if you use it. I've got a fix coming for that on the galaxy nexus.
Andrew, can you PM me a direct paypal addy. Ive been using this for free long enough!
I would go through the market but (A) I dont have data so, I sporadically use WiFi. (B) am not even sure how to pay on the market when I am on WiFi.
So I'd like to toss some $$ to you for this app!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Tony Skv
justanotherguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 112
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quite right, the debug widget shows it as Google Talk.
w0bbl3r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Nexus One
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Long before the Nexus One launched, the media was filled with speculation, buzz, rumors, and excitement regarding the possibility of a "Google Phone". The rumors were put to rest when Google announced the Nexus One, the first ever Google ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus One
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.