Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus S

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #151 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 117
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default 4.0.5?

"French carrier SBF has outlined, in a leaked photo, its plans to update the two Google devices by March."

Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S to receive OTA Android 4.0.5 update by March | MobileSyrup.com

Hopefully true for the North American market (particularly Canada for me!)

monsterduc1000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #152 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumrand View Post
You can try installing an older version of the Gallery3D.apk. No promises it'll install, or how it will integrate with the camera the way the new version does.

Link: Attachment 27753
Thanks, but it didn't work, it installed, but won't run.
I really miss Gingerbread Interface, I mean ICS's is good, but I'm nostalgic for Gingerbread.
If they could combine ICS's speed and Gingerbread UI, that would fit me
Inevitability is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #153 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hi,what about i9020?will that be working like the i9020T?and when will the ICS for i9020 will be available?any idea?thanks
korba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #154 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nobody knows, many people are expecting something this month but nobody besides google could really say and their not saying. The last official statement from google said it would be released before the end of 2011 for all versions of the Nexus S. They've missed that deadline by a long shot and have never made any other comments about it.
CocodaMonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #155 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,237
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (GSM) Nexus S (I9020T on 4.0.4)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 202 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Engadget reports that Nexus S and Nexus S 4G devices will get official updates to ICS within the "next few weeks." See the story here: Confirmed: ICS coming to the Nexus S in the next few weeks -- Engadget
__________________
Like what I had to say in this post? Check out more of my tech reviews and articles on Twitter: @QuantumRand
quantumrand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #156 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
razvan06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bucharest
Gender: Male
Posts: 679
 
Device(s): Nexus One; Nexus S; Galaxy S II; HTC One X[T3]; HTC One S[S4]; HTC ONE; LG G2
Carrier: Cosmote

Thanks: 11
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to razvan06
Default

I hear "DELAY" all over Google HQ ! )
__________________
Was this reply helpful ?
Don't forget the "Thanks" button !
razvan06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #157 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,237
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (GSM) Nexus S (I9020T on 4.0.4)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 202 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razvan06 View Post
I hear "DELAY" all over Google HQ ! )
They've certainly had plenty of time to get it right, so let's hope that's not the case, lol.
quantumrand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #158 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
razvan06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bucharest
Gender: Male
Posts: 679
 
Device(s): Nexus One; Nexus S; Galaxy S II; HTC One X[T3]; HTC One S[S4]; HTC ONE; LG G2
Carrier: Cosmote

Thanks: 11
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to razvan06
Default

In my opinion ,ICS [4.0.3] was the wake up call for users that were not rooted ,i have never seen a software version this buggy until stock 4.0.3.
Besides ,not that CM9 is @ nightly builds and running better by the day ,i don't even dream about going back to that ...bug ,they call software ! Well .maybe i am ,but only in case i'm in need of warranty )
razvan06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #159 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,237
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (GSM) Nexus S (I9020T on 4.0.4)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 202 Times in 152 Posts
Default

4.0.4 is available for some Nexus S models now. See first post.
quantumrand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #160 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,766
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 871 Times in 701 Posts
Default

I saw that on Engadget. I'd like a full list of what an update will do if possible. Is there a link to the full update's specs?

What you had listed in the post doesn't interest me.

What is a I9020XXF1 phone? The box said T and it does have TMO bands. I bought it unlocked. TMO doesn't show it as their device, just like the unlocked European phones I had.

Can you decline the update if you don't want it?

I am rooted, but no custom ROM. Speed for download doesn't matter, ability for any entertainment isn't wanted. I want the phone to work MY way. I'm finding the Nexus S faster with databases than the SGS4G.

I do want to know what data management will do. My Acer tablet is supposed to be upgraded also, and all everyone discusses is freaking gaming and social media!
zuben el genub is offline  
Last edited by zuben el genub; March 29th, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #161 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
razvan06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bucharest
Gender: Male
Posts: 679
 
Device(s): Nexus One; Nexus S; Galaxy S II; HTC One X[T3]; HTC One S[S4]; HTC ONE; LG G2
Carrier: Cosmote

Thanks: 11
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to razvan06
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuben el genub View Post
I saw that on Engadget. I'd like a full list of what an update will do if possible. Is there a link to the full update's specs?

What you had listed in the post doesn't interest me.

What is a I9020XXF1 phone? The box said T and it does have TMO bands. I bought it unlocked. TMO doesn't show it as their device, just like the unlocked European phones I had.

Can you decline the update if you don't want it?

I am rooted, but no custom ROM. Speed for download doesn't matter, ability for any entertainment isn't wanted. I want the phone to work MY way. I'm finding the Nexus S faster with databases than the SGS4G.

I do want to know what data management will do. My Acer tablet is supposed to be upgraded also, and all everyone discusses is freaking gaming and social media!
-From what i can find this was updated :


1. OS & power consumption;
2. 4.0.3 MMS transceiver;
3. USB speed of 1.5mb/s;
4. You can enter the official Recovery;
5. Dial-up interface changes (delete key to move to the upper right side);

-Here is a list of RADIO's available for the Nexus S : Press HERE
Depending on the serial ,in your case "I9020XXF1" you can update or see what type radio version you have and for what device it is!

-You can deny a update.

-You can get any type of ROM depending on what you want ! HERE is a spreadsheet of ROM's with ICS!

-Data management :

"Data management on Gingerbread was a project that resulted in one or two pieces of bloatware taking up valuable virtual space, but ICS will let you access your overall data usage, warn you when you approach a custom boundary and set limits based on your current plan. Have a 2GB plan? You can tell the OS to warn you when you reach 1.5GB, and then have the phone shut off access to the internet once you hit your monthly data allowance. You can also tell specific apps not to collect data or incur usage when it's running in the background, or just restrict those apps to only do so when you're in a WiFi zone." - Engadget
razvan06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #162 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,766
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 871 Times in 701 Posts
Default

Checked that site - one link was a zip download - didn't bother with it. Another post had this:
XXKF1-radio-nexuss-signed
365270BE137EED7DCA351386A8CDDEB9


Radio.img
9E0E2086FBC5ADCFF88E6CA0BFE2D0B8



Did unlocking the phone change that from T to XXF1?


The data management is something I'd want. Are the supported bands listed anywhere on the phone? The phone says 3G on TMO, so I'm assuming that's the 1700/2100 band.



Would I have to re root the phone? I had to after I upgraded the SGS4G.

zuben el genub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #163 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
razvan06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bucharest
Gender: Male
Posts: 679
 
Device(s): Nexus One; Nexus S; Galaxy S II; HTC One X[T3]; HTC One S[S4]; HTC ONE; LG G2
Carrier: Cosmote

Thanks: 11
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to razvan06
Default

You do not have to root the phone ,any ICS rom has the feature !
Unlocking the bootloader has nothing to do with that ! Most likely you installed another ROM with an upgraded RADIO version !
razvan06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #164 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,766
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 871 Times in 701 Posts
Default

I didn't do whatever to change the phone to I9020XXF1. I bought it used from Amazon, and it was supposed to be unlocked. I did use the root process for those who don't want a different ROM. I just wanted to get rid of Maps, Location, that car app and a few other minor things. I removed most of those from the Galaxy, too.

The phone was in excellent condition and there were some things I wanted to try as I find the SGS4G slow at times. I would like to know what whoever owned it did. How would I tell if it had a unlocked bootloader?

I know TMO doesn't recognize the phone as it's own - although I think it was a TMO phone before unlocking. I've had other unlocked phones that turned up the same way on the account. My SGS4G is unlocked but since I bought it from TMO, they show the right phone on the account.
zuben el genub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #165 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Fun fact: Battery is worse for me on 4.0.4 than it was on 4.0.3 ?
- Browser got a bit faster
- Camera is a bit sharper now and has more contrast (I kinda still hope for a magical trick of Google releasing a 720p upgrade, Y U NO make it possible, I'm sure 1GHz and 512 RAM can handle it without that 720p processing unit)

- Everything else is completely the same. I had no bugs in 4.0.3, it was super-smooth and still is
Inevitability is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #166 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,237
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (GSM) Nexus S (I9020T on 4.0.4)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 202 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
Fun fact: Battery is worse for me on 4.0.4 than it was on 4.0.3 ?
- Browser got a bit faster
- Camera is a bit sharper now and has more contrast (I kinda still hope for a magical trick of Google releasing a 720p upgrade, Y U NO make it possible, I'm sure 1GHz and 512 RAM can handle it without that 720p processing unit)

- Everything else is completely the same. I had no bugs in 4.0.3, it was super-smooth and still is
I was hesitant to update when I got the OTA notification since my 4.0.3 seemed flawless as well. I took the chance anyway.

After updating to 4.0.4, auto-orientation was broken, but a reboot fixed that. The stock browser doesn't have that issue where it forgets to show a webpage once it finished rendering it. Other than that, I haven't noticed much else.
quantumrand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 03:20 PM   #167 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumrand View Post
I was hesitant to update when I got the OTA notification since my 4.0.3 seemed flawless as well. I took the chance anyway.

After updating to 4.0.4, auto-orientation was broken, but a reboot fixed that. The stock browser doesn't have that issue where it forgets to show a webpage once it finished rendering it. Other than that, I haven't noticed much else.
Lucky you. 4.0.3 was awesome for me, not a single bug.
4.0.4 is complete disaster however, I can't make it through 10 hours of battery, in 4.0.3 I could have up to 20% after 14 hours of usage at same consumption.
Before I upgraded I "backed up current ROM" in ROM manager, can I use it to revert to .3 because .4 is the same thing for me, just more buggy.
Inevitability is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 06:15 PM   #168 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,237
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (GSM) Nexus S (I9020T on 4.0.4)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 202 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
Lucky you. 4.0.3 was awesome for me, not a single bug.
4.0.4 is complete disaster however, I can't make it through 10 hours of battery, in 4.0.3 I could have up to 20% after 14 hours of usage at same consumption.
Before I upgraded I "backed up current ROM" in ROM manager, can I use it to revert to .3 because .4 is the same thing for me, just more buggy.
I don't have any experiences with ROM Manager, but I imagine its backup is a lot like a nandroid backup. It ought to work to go back to 4.0.3 just as you left it. You could also try flashing the full 4.0.3 ROM, though I'm not sure it'll let you go backward since 4.0.3 doesn't let you either.
quantumrand is offline  
Last edited by quantumrand; March 31st, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:53 AM   #169 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
razvan06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bucharest
Gender: Male
Posts: 679
 
Device(s): Nexus One; Nexus S; Galaxy S II; HTC One X[T3]; HTC One S[S4]; HTC ONE; LG G2
Carrier: Cosmote

Thanks: 11
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to razvan06
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
Lucky you. 4.0.3 was awesome for me, not a single bug.
4.0.4 is complete disaster however, I can't make it through 10 hours of battery, in 4.0.3 I could have up to 20% after 14 hours of usage at same consumption.
Before I upgraded I "backed up current ROM" in ROM manager, can I use it to revert to .3 because .4 is the same thing for me, just more buggy.
Stock bytes ...
Look at this :






And this is my System :


razvan06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to razvan06 For This Useful Post:
Inevitability (April 8th, 2012)
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:20 AM   #170 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razvan06 View Post
Stock bytes ...
Look at this :






And this is my System :


That's amazing, where can I get that ROM?
Inevitability is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:03 PM   #171 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
razvan06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bucharest
Gender: Male
Posts: 679
 
Device(s): Nexus One; Nexus S; Galaxy S II; HTC One X[T3]; HTC One S[S4]; HTC ONE; LG G2
Carrier: Cosmote

Thanks: 11
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to razvan06
Default

Pixel ROM : HERE
Matrix kernel : HERE ...i use CFS
razvan06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to razvan06 For This Useful Post:
Inevitability (April 8th, 2012)
Old April 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM   #172 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razvan06 View Post
Pixel ROM : HERE
Matrix kernel : HERE ...i use CFS
So, I copy the downloaded ROM on Nexus S, reboot in CWM recovery, perform full wipe, install zip from SD card.
What do I do with kernel, I don't have much experience with it. Sorry
Inevitability is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 01:12 PM   #173 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
razvan06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bucharest
Gender: Male
Posts: 679
 
Device(s): Nexus One; Nexus S; Galaxy S II; HTC One X[T3]; HTC One S[S4]; HTC ONE; LG G2
Carrier: Cosmote

Thanks: 11
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to razvan06
Default

in CWM > wipe dalvik and install like a ROM > reboot !
razvan06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to razvan06 For This Useful Post:
Inevitability (April 8th, 2012)
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:26 PM   #174 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razvan06 View Post
in CWM > wipe dalvik and install like a ROM > reboot !
Thank you! I will do this tonight, after my battery charges (made it through incredible 6 hours today) and after I root it, again -.-
Thanks again
Inevitability is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:19 PM   #175 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I was just about to do it, but how do I root on 4.0.4?
Inevitability is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:16 PM   #176 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
razvan06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bucharest
Gender: Male
Posts: 679
 
Device(s): Nexus One; Nexus S; Galaxy S II; HTC One X[T3]; HTC One S[S4]; HTC ONE; LG G2
Carrier: Cosmote

Thanks: 11
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to razvan06
Default

start a new post so i can walk you through.
razvan06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to razvan06 For This Useful Post:
Inevitability (April 8th, 2012)
Old April 2nd, 2012, 05:40 PM   #177 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Waterdown, ON
Posts: 61
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate, Nexus S, LG Eve - Rooted & Running OpenEtna (2.2 Froyo)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thumbs up Downloading Update 4.0.4 as I type

If you haven't received the OTA update yet try this:

- Try Settings - Manage APPs -> ALL->Google services Framework: clear data

- Go to dialer and put in *#*#2432546#*#*
If you did the code right the numbers will disappear and you will get a notification that says “check in complete” or something to that effect.

Wait a second or two and if there is an update you will see something in the notification bar.

EDIT: Try doing this with wireless *off*

Good luck!
Nexus S i9020A
Rogers in Ont.
AmazonAnnie is offline  
Last edited by AmazonAnnie; April 2nd, 2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Additional information
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 06:01 PM   #178 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonAnnie View Post
If you haven't received the OTA update yet try this:

- Try Settings - Manage APPs -> ALL->Google services Framework: clear data

- Go to dialer and put in *#*#2432546#*#*
If you did the code right the numbers will disappear and you will get a notification that says “check in complete” or something to that effect.

Wait a second or two and if there is an update you will see something in the notification bar.

EDIT: Try doing this with wireless *off*

Good luck!
Nexus S i9020A
Rogers in Ont.
would be interested to see how this works out for you. am in canada as well but with telus in mtl although phone is just an unlocked version.

wondering though what thie google services framework app actually is, and what i'm wiping when clearing data for that app.






saw also that there's a zip for manual install. unsure how to do manual install, and wondering about risks of bricking phone or losing data in doing manual update.
batmandroid is offline  
Last edited by batmandroid; April 2nd, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #179 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zuben el genub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,766
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 871 Times in 701 Posts
Default

Phone updated. Got an OTA update notice, didn't work. Had to install full 4.03. Got that, then 4.04 immediately updated.

2 problems - Market/Play isn't working, and I lost root. I had used the method that didn't change the ROM. I'd like to get Titanium working.

How do I solve these 2 problems?

BTW, what the hell was Google smoking with that screen? - thought I was back in the psychedelic era.
zuben el genub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:30 AM   #180 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Waterdown, ON
Posts: 61
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate, Nexus S, LG Eve - Rooted & Running OpenEtna (2.2 Froyo)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

It has worked out well with me! No face recognition but that's okay. I'm busy uninstalling all the programs that I used that are now included in the new version. Battery seems okay but it's only been 12 hrs (mostly overnight so no usage) and it's 70%.

Wifi is still so so (thought it would improve but I guess that's a pipedream).

Overall it seems much 'snappier'. Looking forward to playing for a few days to see what my overall impression is.

I wasn't ready to try a zip version. I've read that others on Telus have the update. Have you tried the 'checkin' ?



Quote:
Originally Posted by batmandroid View Post
would be interested to see how this works out for you. am in canada as well but with telus in mtl although phone is just an unlocked version.

wondering though what thie google services framework app actually is, and what i'm wiping when clearing data for that app.






saw also that there's a zip for manual install. unsure how to do manual install, and wondering about risks of bricking phone or losing data in doing manual update.
AmazonAnnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:53 AM   #181 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 57
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonAnnie View Post
It has worked out well with me! No face recognition but that's okay. I'm busy uninstalling all the programs that I used that are now included in the new version. Battery seems okay but it's only been 12 hrs (mostly overnight so no usage) and it's 70%.

Wifi is still so so (thought it would improve but I guess that's a pipedream).

Overall it seems much 'snappier'. Looking forward to playing for a few days to see what my overall impression is.

I wasn't ready to try a zip version. I've read that others on Telus have the update. Have you tried the 'checkin' ?
tried chekin, but didn't clear google services data. checkin doesn't seem to be working anymore. maybe i over abused it even.
batmandroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:53 AM   #182 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have 2.3.4 AT&T version and it errors out trying to update....

Thanks for posting these official versions.
PePeDePue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM   #183 (permalink)
Member
 
BreatheElectro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 176
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Thumbs up

One thing I noticed right off the bat! Android system use on the battery, went from 30 +% to now its at 13%! Stock upgrade!

Got the OTA update today! wooooohooo . Putting on some dubstep and doing a happy dance lol

Here are my stats:

Screen: 43% cuz i have it on high brightness

Android system 13%

Facebook 9%

wi-fi 5%

Cell standby 5%

Go SMS PRO 4%

Android OS 4%

Mediaserver 3%

Android core apps 3%

Google Services 2%
__________________
I'm Jonathan Of Ground Breaking Events.(G.B.E.) And we throw some of the phattest Electronic Dance music events in the Pacific NW! Yes, I party my ass off!

http://www.facebook.com/Jonathan.BreatheElectro
BreatheElectro is offline  
Last edited by BreatheElectro; April 3rd, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:09 PM   #184 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,237
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (GSM) Nexus S (I9020T on 4.0.4)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 202 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PePeDePue View Post
I have 2.3.4 AT&T version and it errors out trying to update....

Thanks for posting these official versions.
The I9020A update available so far is only for updating from 2.3.6 to 4.0.4. You can update to 2.3.6 manually and then do the 4.0.4 update and it should work.
quantumrand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #185 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey guys, I am having a problem with the new update and wondered if you could help out.

So I have the 2.3.6 version of AT&T Nexus S, and I am able to download the update and rename it update.zip and get into the recover mode and apply update from /sdcard...

At that point it displays the following:

-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop"
. "ro..build.fingerprint") == "google/sojua/cresp
o:2.3.6/GRK39F/189904:user/release-keys" ||
file_getprop("/system/build.prop". ro.build.fingerprint") == "google/sojua/crespo:4.0.4/IMM76
D/299849:user/release-keys"
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

It has done this twice now I have downloaded the package once on a Fedora system at work mv to a new file name and applied, and once here at home on a windows system (thinking download may have been corrupt)

I would most appreciate any thoughts on this message.

Thanks in advance.
kotg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #186 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotg View Post
Hey guys, I am having a problem with the new update and wondered if you could help out.

So I have the 2.3.6 version of AT&T Nexus S, and I am able to download the update and rename it update.zip and get into the recover mode and apply update from /sdcard...

At that point it displays the following:

-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop"
. "ro..build.fingerprint") == "google/sojua/cresp
o:2.3.6/GRK39F/189904:user/release-keys" ||
file_getprop("/system/build.prop". ro.build.fingerprint") == "google/sojua/crespo:4.0.4/IMM76
D/299849:user/release-keys"
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

It has done this twice now I have downloaded the package once on a Fedora system at work mv to a new file name and applied, and once here at home on a windows system (thinking download may have been corrupt)

I would most appreciate any thoughts on this message.

Thanks in advance.


Saw on the XDA forums that users encountered this when something was funky with their SD card, suggested a backup and reformat of it, and then putting the update.zip on there for the bootloader. Giving this a try now and will update.
kotg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #187 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotg View Post
Saw on the XDA forums that users encountered this when something was funky with their SD card, suggested a backup and reformat of it, and then putting the update.zip on there for the bootloader. Giving this a try now and will update.
No go on this as well. I don't know what I am doing wrong here. My next thought is to try a factory reset and give it a blank slate to update. I don't know if that will work either.
kotg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #188 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bfksc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,253
 
Device(s): Rugby Pro LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 200 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotg View Post
No go on this as well. I don't know what I am doing wrong here. My next thought is to try a factory reset and give it a blank slate to update. I don't know if that will work either.
I had a problem with an update on an HTC Desire where it wouldn't update although it should have. I did a factory reset and ran the OTA update again and it worked fine. I think some of the apps we install are not 100% compatible and cause issues. As a matter of course, I now do factory resets BEFORE and AFTER an update to ensure there is no junk left behind and the firmware has a clean slate to work with. Since then, no issues any time I do a firmware update.
YMMV.

Let us know the outcome of your situation...
bfksc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #189 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfksc View Post
I had a problem with an update on an HTC Desire where it wouldn't update although it should have. I did a factory reset and ran the OTA update again and it worked fine. I think some of the apps we install are not 100% compatible and cause issues. As a matter of course, I now do factory resets BEFORE and AFTER an update to ensure there is no junk left behind and the firmware has a clean slate to work with. Since then, no issues any time I do a firmware update.
YMMV.

Let us know the outcome of your situation...

So after a factory reset I still get the same exact error, I just don't know what is causing it.
kotg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #190 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Hey, wanted to let you know that I managed to install Pixel ROM and Matr1x kernel.
If you want to I can start a thread on how to root Nexus S on 4.0.4 let me know


Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
Inevitability is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #191 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotg View Post
So after a factory reset I still get the same exact error, I just don't know what is causing it.
Would it make a difference that my phone was purchased at best buy and not at an AT&T store and doesn't have the AT&T bloatware on it? Or do none of the Nexus S hand helds have that?
kotg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #192 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bfksc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,253
 
Device(s): Rugby Pro LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 200 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotg View Post
Would it make a difference that my phone was purchased at best buy and not at an AT&T store and doesn't have the AT&T bloatware on it? Or do none of the Nexus S hand helds have that?
Google phones, like the Nexus One, Nexus S, and Galaxy Nexus do not have any carrier related software. You can buy the phone at any store and it will be the same as any other location. In fact, the only difference between the boxes is the carrier code on the outside so the IMEI is already registered with the carrier. Other than that, all Google phones are the same. All the info needed to get your GSM phone up and running is on the SIM card.

Now about your update issue. Is your phone rooted or running a non-stock ROM? If so, you may need to flash the stock ROM.

If you have a stock ROM, then you did a factory reset, but did you try wiping the cache as well? To do this, you need to go into the Recovery Mode and select "wipe cache". While there, also do another reset, then reboot the phone.
bfksc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #193 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfksc View Post
Google phones, like the Nexus One, Nexus S, and Galaxy Nexus do not have any carrier related software. You can buy the phone at any store and it will be the same as any other location. In fact, the only difference between the boxes is the carrier code on the outside so the IMEI is already registered with the carrier. Other than that, all Google phones are the same. All the info needed to get your GSM phone up and running is on the SIM card.

Now about your update issue. Is your phone rooted or running a non-stock ROM? If so, you may need to flash the stock ROM.

If you have a stock ROM, then you did a factory reset, but did you try wiping the cache as well? To do this, you need to go into the Recovery Mode and select "wipe cache". While there, also do another reset, then reboot the phone.

Completely stock phone no funny business. I did clear the cache once tried the update still no go, then did the factory reset and tried with no go. Really curious still haven't heard of others struggling so.
kotg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #194 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bfksc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,253
 
Device(s): Rugby Pro LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 200 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotg View Post
Completely stock phone no funny business. I did clear the cache once tried the update still no go, then did the factory reset and tried with no go. Really curious still haven't heard of others struggling so.
Are you sure you're on v2.3.6 and not v2.3.4?
bfksc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #195 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfksc View Post
Are you sure you're on v2.3.6 and not v2.3.4?
Yep, that's what the about phone tab says for android version.
kotg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #196 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotg View Post
Yep, that's what the about phone tab says for android version.
I notice in the error it shows GRK39F but build number on my phone is GRK39C. Could this be the root of my problems?
kotg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #197 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bfksc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,253
 
Device(s): Rugby Pro LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 200 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotg View Post
I notice in the error it shows GRK39F but build number on my phone is GRK39C. Could this be the root of my problems?
Quite likely yes...that's an earlier build of v2.3.6 that had the tethering problems so it may not be compliant. You will need to manually update the device to v2.3.6 build GRK39F using Recovery Mode and go from there.
bfksc is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfksc For This Useful Post:
kotg (April 10th, 2012)
Old April 10th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #198 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razvan06 View Post
start a new post so i can walk you through.
Hey, just to tell you I (again) got back to 4.0.3 - ROM and Kernel didn't improve the battery at all, and a lot of apps lagged.
OTA keeps boring me to update now, but I'm ignoring it. Are there going to be any more ICS updates in the near future?
Inevitability is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #199 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfksc View Post
Quite likely yes...that's an earlier build of v2.3.6 that had the tethering problems so it may not be compliant. You will need to manually update the device to v2.3.6 build GRK39F using Recovery Mode and go from there.
That did it, I found the update to F on xda, then upgraded that, then ICS update finally took. Thanks to all that helped.
kotg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #200 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Warburg, AB
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): TELUS Nexus S - i9020A
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumrand View Post
...

News (4/2/2012): Great news for AT&T Nexus S users! A 4.0.4 update is now available for the I9020A. The update is intended for those on 2.3.6. It is unclear whether or not it will work for older versions.

I9020A 2.3.6 to 4.0.4 Link: http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespoa/IEzMw3FU.zip

...

Links to official update files:

...

I9020A (2.3.6 to 4.0.4, might work with Pre-2.3.6 versions) - http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespoa/IEzMw3FU.zip

...
FINALLY! Thank you, a very helpful post. I got sick of waiting for the official OTA update. The wife got it on her phone a week and a half ago and I was stuck waiting. She definitely wasn't waiting for it like I was and TELUS and SAMSUNG were both completely useless in their answers.

For TELUS users, the following worked on my i9020A Nexus S from version 2.3.6 (Build ended with F) phone. It was pretty easy and there was no loss of data. Instructions were:

  1. Download one of the above links
  2. Moved file to /sdcard root directory and renamed to update.zip
  3. Power OFF the phone
  4. Press and HOLD both the Power button and the Volume UP button
  5. When the "FASTBOOT MODE" screen shows up (You'll know) -> let go and scroll down to "Recovery" (using the volume down button) and click the Power button to execute
  6. When the big Exclamation mark in a Triangle shows up -> HOLD the Power button and TAP the Volume up button
  7. On the new menu, scroll down to "Apply update from /sdcard" and tap Power button to execute
  8. Wait for the update to complete
  9. Select "Reboot system now" and click Power button to execute
  10. Update will finish cleaning up and you can now enjoy 4.0.4.

Hope it helps someone, I was pretty new to doing this manually on an Android phone, so finding specific instructions were important for me. Took me visiting multiple sites, including this one to find the download, before I successfully updated.
mtylerb is offline  
Last edited by mtylerb; April 10th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtylerb For This Useful Post:
MaypepNecro (April 14th, 2012), PvtJoker (April 12th, 2012)
Reply

Nexus S
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus S is the second generation in a line of smartphones that are in direct collaboration with Google. This time, it's made by Samsung as opposed to the Nexus One from HTC. Google's Nexus line of phones are always a stock, vanilla Andr... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus S
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.