Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus S

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
brounmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 268
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default ICS for I9020a?

Does any think those of us on AT&T will ever get ICS update? I known google said they wanted to have ICS out by the end of Jan., but here we are in Feb. and still nothing for At&t users. I know I have said it before but I am still running 2.3.4, so I have very little faith in google getting this update to my phone.

There are already talks about phones like the Galaxy s II and the Note getting ICS in March or so. I have seen rumors of devices that are going to be release with ICS on it. I thought google's thing was that Nexus phones always got updated first. It would just really bother me if those other phones get ICS and I don't or they get it before I do. What was the point of me buying the Nexus if that happens?

Advertisements
brounmoney is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,237
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (GSM) Nexus S (I9020T on 4.0.4)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 202 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Please stop making this same thread over and over.

The I9020A will get the ICS update, just be patient. With the exception of the few I9020T and I9023 users who got the 4.0.3 OTA before it was put on hold, NO ONE officially has ICS yet. You're not being singled out.

If you checked the stickied ICS thread, you'd see that rumors are that ICS 4.0.5 is expected to hit the Nexus S OTA "by March." The I9020A version might come out at the same time, or perhaps a month or so later. Regardless, if you really want ICS that badly, you can root and flash the stock ROM and reflash a working AT&T radio.
__________________
Like what I had to say in this post? Check out more of my tech reviews and articles on Twitter: @QuantumRand
quantumrand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
brounmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 268
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumrand View Post
Please stop making this same thread over and over.

The I9020A will get the ICS update, just be patient. With the exception of the few I9020T and I9023 users who got the 4.0.3 OTA before it was put on hold, NO ONE officially has ICS yet. You're not being singled out.

If you checked the stickied ICS thread, you'd see that rumors are that ICS 4.0.5 is expected to hit the Nexus S OTA "by March." The I9020A version might come out at the same time, or perhaps a month or so later. Regardless, if you really want ICS that badly, you can root and flash the stock ROM and reflash a working AT&T radio.
Well I am very sorry I bothered you with another post. I am trying to start a topic for those of us that have the AT&T nexus s which you make it very clear you don't have. Yea I did see the update posted, but that story said they would start to roll out 4.0.5 which means nothing for those of us with the AT&T nexus. The tmobile would be the first to get that update, and who knows they may shut that update down before the AT&T one even gets a change.

Maybe if you could for a second see what it was like for those of us that don't have ICS yet or for that matter the lasted gingerbread you would not be such a jerk. Keep up the great updates on the stickied ICS thread, they are so informative.

If this post does not get shut down, please those of you that have the I9020a that have more experience please post. I would like to see other peoples thoughts.
brounmoney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,237
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (GSM) Nexus S (I9020T on 4.0.4)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 202 Times in 152 Posts
Default

If it makes you feel any better, I never received the 4.0.3 OTA either. I figured it would be a little buggy, but I took the leap and installed it manually anyway. Apparently I've been one of the lucky few who hasn't had any serious issues with it, though I installed it with a full wipe since I was coming from a custom kernel.

I promise you're not missing much, and some version of ICS will be available for the I9020A before long. Plus you'll likely not have to deal with the major bugs those experienced with 4.0.3.

And like I said previously, NO Nexus S models (including the I9020T) are receiving the ICS OTA right now. There were just a few at the beginning before Google put the update on hold. The majority of people running 4.0.3 on their NS installed it manually. You are not being singled out as an I9020A user.

If you're still on 2.3.4 or something like that, it's really simple to update manually to 2.3.6. It doesn't even require rooting your phone. If you'd like help with that, let me know, and I'll point you to a step-by-step guide.
quantumrand is offline  
Last edited by quantumrand; February 9th, 2012 at 03:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
brounmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 268
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumrand View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I never received the 4.0.3 OTA either. I figured it would be a little buggy, but I took the leap and installed it manually anyway. Apparently I've been one of the lucky few who hasn't had any serious issues with it, though I installed it with a full wipe since I was coming from a custom kernel.

I promise you're not missing much, and some version of ICS will be available for the I9020A before long. Plus you'll likely not have to deal with the major bugs those experienced with 4.0.3.

And like I said previously, NO Nexus S models (including the I9020T) are receiving the ICS OTA right now. There were just a few at the beginning before Google put the update on hold. The majority of people running 4.0.3 on their NS installed it manually. You are not being singled out as an I9020A user.

If you're still on 2.3.4 or something like that, it's really simple to update manually to 2.3.6. It doesn't even require rooting your phone. If you'd like help with that, let me know, and I'll point you to a step-by-step guide.
I was looking for a download for 2.3.6 but I did not find it. Would the download and install work on a Mac? Also what real upgrades do you get with 2.3.6 over 2.3.4? I saw were people say you should wipe your phone before you do a Manuel install. Is that something to do? My phone is not backed up because I have a Mac and have no way of backing it up my my Mac that know of. I don't want to lose all my stuff.
brounmoney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,237
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (GSM) Nexus S (I9020T on 4.0.4)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 202 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brounmoney View Post
I was looking for a download for 2.3.6 but I did not find it. Would the download and install work on a Mac? Also what real upgrades do you get with 2.3.6 over 2.3.4? I saw were people say you should wipe your phone before you do a Manuel install. Is that something to do? My phone is not backed up because I have a Mac and have no way of backing it up my my Mac that know of. I don't want to lose all my stuff.
This is the latest official update for the I9020A (2.3.6): http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespoa/0b9c8148de0d.signed-sojua-ota-189904.0b9c8148.zip

Use this crappy video to walk you through the process of updating: http://androidforums.com/nexus-s/327991-guide-manually-update-2-3-4-2-3-2-2-3-1-a.html#post2638492

That thread has other information about updating in general as well. You don't HAVE to wipe before installing, but it does sometimes help avoid problems. You can always try without wiping first, and then if you have problems, wipe and reinstall the 2.3.6 update.
quantumrand is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to quantumrand For This Useful Post:
brounmoney (February 10th, 2012)
Old February 10th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
brounmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 268
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumrand View Post
This is the latest official update for the I9020A (2.3.6): http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespoa/0b9c8148de0d.signed-sojua-ota-189904.0b9c8148.zip

Use this crappy video to walk you through the process of updating: http://androidforums.com/nexus-s/327991-guide-manually-update-2-3-4-2-3-2-2-3-1-a.html#post2638492

That thread has other information about updating in general as well. You don't HAVE to wipe before installing, but it does sometimes help avoid problems. You can always try without wiping first, and then if you have problems, wipe and reinstall the 2.3.6 update.
Do you know how to do this on an macbook?
brounmoney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
brounmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 268
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Does anyone have experience manually updating the nexus s on a MacBook? I tried the file, but everything is so different than what is on the video.
brounmoney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
brounmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 268
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Well I figured it out and it worked I am now running 2.3.6. Thanks for your help. Couple of questions what if anything as far as improvements go should I see? Oh and also there is manual update to ICS for I90320a? I know it was kind of hit or miss on the update just wanted to know if I had the option.
brounmoney is offline  
Last edited by brounmoney; February 10th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,237
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (GSM) Nexus S (I9020T on 4.0.4)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 202 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brounmoney View Post
Well I figured it out and it worked I am now running 2.3.6. Thanks for your help. Couple of questions what if anything as far as improvements go should I see? Oh and also there is manual update to ICS for I90320a? I know it was kind of hit or miss on the update just wanted to know if I had the option.
It's possible to update the I9020A to 4.0.3, but you have to root your phone to do it. It involves flashing radio files and whatnot, so I wouldn't recommend it.
quantumrand is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
brounmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 268
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumrand View Post
It's possible to update the I9020A to 4.0.3, but you have to root your phone to do it. It involves flashing radio files and whatnot, so I wouldn't recommend it.
Ok I will wait on something more solid. I just hope it is soon.
brounmoney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Nexus S
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus S is the second generation in a line of smartphones that are in direct collaboration with Google. This time, it's made by Samsung as opposed to the Nexus One from HTC. Google's Nexus line of phones are always a stock, vanilla Andr... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus S
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.