Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG Optimus M > Optimus M - All Things Root
Optimus M - All Things Root Rooting, ROMS, Overclocking, etc.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 52
 
Device(s): Optimus M
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default SD card help

Looking for a little help/explanation on partitioning SD card.

I have root and recovery (RA-OptimusM-2.2.1-GN).

I want to solve the internal memory problem and try to install a new rom eventually.

I have read posts that say I should partition AND I've read posts that say remove partitions.

Not sure if I should only partition with certain roms or if it is ok no matter which rom I install.

I currently have the stock (2GB) SD card in. Seen somewhere that a should have a class 4 SD and somewhere else said a class 6 SD. I didn't know there were different classes of SD cards...so can I just use the stock one for now or do I need to buy a new card first?

Not sure if doing a nand backup is what I need to do or do I copy contents of my sd card to my computer...is this the same thing? (for the record I have done both)

Do I need to remove apps that I'm currently using to save memory? ("App2SD" coupled with "Move2SD Enabler"). Is this app from the market the same as using the Darktremor App2SD?

There is a lot of info here which I appreciate, but a lot of it is several months old so I'm not sure what is the best(most up to date) procedure. For example I was about to try rooting my phone after reading older posts only to come across the Gingerbreak method that made it much simpler.

Thanks for any help/answers. Just want you to know I did search and read many posts but as you can see it still left me with many questions.

jpr8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 25th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Misleadb4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, Fl
Posts: 296
 
Device(s): Optimus M retired, Moto Droid retired, Current LG G2.
Carrier: Big Red.

Thanks: 57
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default

I can tell you that i have flashed 4 maybe 5 different roms without partitioning sd card. Also im using stock 2gb card. And nand backup should suffice any needs for restoring if you oops your phone up, as ive done and had to start over. So basically if your rooted and using recovery then your next step is to choose a rom and start flashing. Good luck to you,
Misleadb4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Optimus M CM7, HTC EVO3D, HTC One S. R.I.P. Huawei Ascend x2, HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 224 Times in 122 Posts
Default

im running reppards cm7 rom, i have a 4gb sd card partitioned with a 1gb ext partition and am using darktrems a2sd beta 4 with an ext3 partition. have also moved the dalvik-cache to the sd, i currently have close to 100 apps installed, am using about 60% of my ext partition, and have had exactly 0 errors with this setup, my phone is also as fast as one could ask for, ie, there is no lag doing anything, i touch something and it is there. if you are interested in setting any of that up, i have no problem helpin ya, but either way its up to you, the phone doesnt have a whole lot of "app" memory without a2sd.
tripdoc79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 375
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 69 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdoc79 View Post
im running reppards cm7 rom, i have a 4gb sd card partitioned with a 1gb ext partition and am using darktrems a2sd beta 4 with an ext3 partition. have also moved the dalvik-cache to the sd, i currently have close to 100 apps installed, am using about 60% of my ext partition, and have had exactly 0 errors with this setup, my phone is also as fast as one could ask for, ie, there is no lag doing anything, i touch something and it is there. if you are interested in setting any of that up, i have no problem helpin ya, but either way its up to you, the phone doesnt have a whole lot of "app" memory without a2sd.

I wouldn't mind a guide for this tripdoc. I have been avoiding it with my 16gb SD card because I'm not sure if a2sd will work with the card. Also I'm not exactly sure how to use scripts like a2sd scripts. Or even where to obtain such scripts.

But 16gb of app space? Yesplease!
bobdamnit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chemist
 
h4x0rj3ff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,549
 
Device(s): SGS3 16GB - CM11 Nightlies, Nexus 7 16GB (2012) - CM10.2 Nightlies
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 494
Thanked 873 Times in 500 Posts
h4x0rj3ff@gmail.com
Default

Ok so I've partitioned my 8gb SD card to ext4. My issue is I can't figure out how to unpartition it (on the device) to fat32. Any help?
__________________
[SIGPIC]Hi Everyone!!![/SIGPIC]
h4x0rj3ff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BrandonOptimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jersey
Gender: Male
Posts: 545
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 PAC-Rom,SGS3 OmegaV31(JB), LG Optimus M CM7.2 Fully Ics Themed
Carrier: Simple

Thanks: 82
Thanked 57 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x0rj3ff View Post
Ok so I've partitioned my 8gb SD card to ext4. My issue is I can't figure out how to unpartition it (on the device) to fat32. Any help?

Back to stock rom like teamchickeneater. Then format. Or do it manually from the computer.
BrandonOptimus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chemist
 
h4x0rj3ff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,549
 
Device(s): SGS3 16GB - CM11 Nightlies, Nexus 7 16GB (2012) - CM10.2 Nightlies
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 494
Thanked 873 Times in 500 Posts
h4x0rj3ff@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonOptimus View Post
Back to stock rom like teamchickeneater. Then format. Or do it manually from the computer.

Can I do it from an app or in cm7?
h4x0rj3ff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BrandonOptimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jersey
Gender: Male
Posts: 545
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 PAC-Rom,SGS3 OmegaV31(JB), LG Optimus M CM7.2 Fully Ics Themed
Carrier: Simple

Thanks: 82
Thanked 57 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x0rj3ff View Post
Can I do it from an app or in cm7?

In cm7 it doesn't do it correctly. I formatted on cm7 and it never erased. I had to revert to stock rom. I think you could use an app for it, but just backup the important stuff
BrandonOptimus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Optimus M CM7, HTC EVO3D, HTC One S. R.I.P. Huawei Ascend x2, HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 224 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdamnit View Post
I wouldn't mind a guide for this tripdoc. I have been avoiding it with my 16gb SD card because I'm not sure if a2sd will work with the card. Also I'm not exactly sure how to use scripts like a2sd scripts. Or even where to obtain such scripts.

But 16gb of app space? Yesplease!
lol.. i dont recommend using more than 1gb honestly, some have gone higher and been fine.. but the larger the ext partition the more likely your are to experience a failure from everything i ahve read. some say that with ext4 you can go as high as 2gb.. but honestly.. im using 60% of mine and have more apps than i even use.. amazon market is great for the free app fo the day lol. but anyway here its goes for ya.

1: make a backup of everything on your sd card. copy it all to your computer. when partitioning your sd card you will lose everything. while your at it make a nandroid backup incase anything goes wrong, and copy that to your computer as well lol

2: boot into recovery, go to the partition sd card menu. select partition sd. for swap set to 0 and for ext set to 1024. once it has completed partitioning go back to the partition sd menu and select SD:ext2 to ext3

3: download this. [Script][A2SD] Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [N1] (01/29/2011) - xda-developers then from ain menu in recovery select USB-MS Toggle to turn on usb file transfer. copy the script to your sd card. then disable USB-MS.

4: go to wipe menu and wipe the /cache partition and then wipe the Dalvik-Cache.

5: go to the flash zip menu and select the darktrem a2sd beta4 script and flash it. once complete you can reboot your phone, be patient as your phone will be rebuilding your dalvik-cache and may take a alittle longer than usual to boot up.

6: open terminal emulator if at the $ prompt, type su and hit enter to get to # prompt. type a2sd zipalign and hit enter yourt phone might reboot, cant remember, if it does reboot go back into terminal and go back to # prompt and then type a2sd cachesdreset and hit enter. this will reboot your phone and it will take a few minutes to boot back up, it is moving the dalvik-cache to the sd card and rebuilding it.

now your done, copy your files back to your sd card and thats it.
tripdoc79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tripdoc79 For This Useful Post:
Misleadb4 (November 28th, 2011)
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Optimus M CM7, HTC EVO3D, HTC One S. R.I.P. Huawei Ascend x2, HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 224 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x0rj3ff View Post
Ok so I've partitioned my 8gb SD card to ext4. My issue is I can't figure out how to unpartition it (on the device) to fat32. Any help?

if you go to Settings > Storage on your phone, and format the sd card it will erase the ext patition, just make sure you backup your files
tripdoc79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Misleadb4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, Fl
Posts: 296
 
Device(s): Optimus M retired, Moto Droid retired, Current LG G2.
Carrier: Big Red.

Thanks: 57
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdoc79 View Post
lol.. i dont recommend using more than 1gb honestly, some have gone higher and been fine.. but the larger the ext partition the more likely your are to experience a failure from everything i ahve read. some say that with ext4 you can go as high as 2gb.. but honestly.. im using 60% of mine and have more apps than i even use.. amazon market is great for the free app fo the day lol. but anyway here its goes for ya.

1: make a backup of everything on your sd card. copy it all to your computer. when partitioning your sd card you will lose everything. while your at it make a nandroid backup incase anything goes wrong, and copy that to your computer as well lol

2: boot into recovery, go to the partition sd card menu. select partition sd. for swap set to 0 and for ext set to 1024. once it has completed partitioning go back to the partition sd menu and select SD:ext2 to ext3

3: download this. [Script][A2SD] Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [N1] (01/29/2011) - xda-developers then from ain menu in recovery select USB-MS Toggle to turn on usb file transfer. copy the script to your sd card. then disable USB-MS.

4: go to wipe menu and wipe the /cache partition and then wipe the Dalvik-Cache.

5: go to the flash zip menu and select the darktrem a2sd beta4 script and flash it. once complete you can reboot your phone, be patient as your phone will be rebuilding your dalvik-cache and may take a alittle longer than usual to boot up.

6: open terminal emulator if at the $ prompt, type su and hit enter to get to # prompt. type a2sd zipalign and hit enter yourt phone might reboot, cant remember, if it does reboot go back into terminal and go back to # prompt and then type a2sd cachesdreset and hit enter. this will reboot your phone and it will take a few minutes to boot back up, it is moving the dalvik-cache to the sd card and rebuilding it.

now your done, copy your files back to your sd card and thats it.
Followed to the letter and works like a charm. Thanks
Misleadb4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

ok guys so this is going to be my first time posting on herre too but let me tell youm since i seen this website, i managed to root my phone install cm 7 clock workmod and have my phone fully functional,, im pretty good with gadgets off the top byt i came to a problem. because i got a new se=d card, the i tried to get my sd card to partition i partitioned but i dont know how to be able to choose certain partitions on my sd cards, i messed up when i think i partitoned the fresh part of the sd card instead of the original. long story short i need some sort of program that would in some way let me choose certain partitions on my sd cards and im guessing its called "flashing" i dont really understand what flashing is but i know that ive gotten this far without asking anyone for help on my phone but now i just want to use my 8 gig card store all the downloaded apps that i can manage to bunch up on my laptop, and back up all important data from the cards and such, but i just need someone to explain to me how to do this and how to make sure i dont brick my phone because i have not done so thus far... would appreciate any advice
fatdeezie420 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i am totally up for doing my phone up to optimal condition. when i got the phone i got it activated, it took me three days to learn about cm7 androids in general. In one evening, and a morning . i had rooted my phone via flash image gui ttitanium backup, clockworkmod, i downloaded app2sd all my favorite apps and stuff.. u just need to boot back into that batch of information on my sd card.. someone please help
fatdeezie420 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 375
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 69 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misleadb4 View Post

Followed to the letter and works like a charm. Thanks
Thanks for confirming it for me.

Does this work with Jonidey's stock 2.2.1 recovery? I've heard that it has no problem making ext3 partitions, but has problems formatting ext3 partitions. Should I switch up to GNM Recovery?

Also, should I re ROM back to a stock ROM before attempting this? I have a LOT of apps already moved to the SD card right through AppManagement in Android. I have this feeling that if I don't start fresh, its going to cause me a migrane later today.

(Edit)
I bit the bullet and just decided to re ROM Reppards CM7.1 ROM. Everything I have is backed up, so no worrys lol. Once I'm back to a fresh ROM, I'll do a2sd and reinstall all of my apps.
bobdamnit is offline  
Last edited by bobdamnit; November 28th, 2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Just doing it...
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Misleadb4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, Fl
Posts: 296
 
Device(s): Optimus M retired, Moto Droid retired, Current LG G2.
Carrier: Big Red.

Thanks: 57
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdamnit View Post
Thanks for confirming it for me.

Does this work with Jonidey's stock 2.2.1 recovery? I've heard that it has no problem making ext3 partitions, but has problems formatting ext3 partitions. Should I switch up to GNM Recovery?

Also, should I re ROM back to a stock ROM before attempting this? I have a LOT of apps already moved to the SD card right through AppManagement in Android. I have this feeling that if I don't start fresh, its going to causIlle me a migrane later today.
Jonideys is the recovery i have and everything worked smoothly off a fresh rom flash, then went thru the steps shown. As to if jonideys problem with formating ext3 partitions idk, but i do know my phone is only using about 7% capacity with 20 or so apps on sd card also i have stock 2gb sd card with 1gb partition, phone itself is more responsive and no lag at all with bobz latest rom. Also its showing 201mbs internal and it has 192mbs remaining to be used. All in all im grateful and would recomend with or without the migrains.
Misleadb4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 375
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 69 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Well, after putting Reppards CM7.1 ROM back on my phone and making it like new, I installed a2sd. Went off without a hitch. Phone is telling me I'm using 3.7Mb of space, with 197Mb left. Phone feels snappier.

Dont trust Titanium Backup to put backed up apps on SD card, so I'm going to reinstall all my apps the old fashoned way. Good thing I always have a backup of my original purchased APKs.

And thanks again tripdoc, for instructions. Your the best. Thanks misleadb4 for testing and confirming this works before a newb bricks his phone.
bobdamnit is offline  
Last edited by bobdamnit; November 28th, 2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Credits
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok so I had my apps on my 8 gig sd along with music. I moved all my apps tothis sd card and titanium nack up nthe I tried to partition my bd card through recovery. So I think I have two parttions on my sd card. My problem is I think created a partition on my phone ext4 with 2 gigs when I rebooted it mounts the new paftition. I need to be able to mount the good half of my sd card and try again. All my apps are on the data is on the good half of the partition can someone explain how to mount a seperate partition on the same sdcardsbefore I brick my phone. I have a feeling that I'm gonna brick my phone if I keep going without anyones advice please help me guys I'm no newb to tech gadgets and barely got thisphone and I already have root acces fully funtional cm7 bobsversion I just need some tech help
fatdeezie420 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG Optimus M > Optimus M - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.