Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Orange San Francisco 2 (ZTE Blade 2)

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default San Fransisco II- unlock to all networks

Hello

I have just purchased the San Fransisco II, an upgrade from my previous mobile.

I read & was fully aware that it would cost 10-20 to get it unlocked (before purchasing) then came across the Modaco forum which released the unlocking process)

waited for atleast close to a month to unlock it (after being so afraid of bricking mobile) but it was successful as stated in my post beneath.

thanks.

(sometimes people get problems with wifi & other stuff so just depends) it states all this precautions on the forum/blogspot)

Advertisements
Last edited by i5500; December 24th, 2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: giving an update.
sponsored links
Old November 26th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Xperia S & Blade
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by i5500 View Post
Hi

I have just purchased the San Fransisco II

uprade from my i5500 samsung.

But ive just read that itll cost me 20pound for it to get unlocked + i have to wait 3 months.

is there any chance of getting it unlocked an alternate way?
Want to unlock your OMC / Skate? Tutorial here! - Android @ MoDaCo

Ignore lol
Last edited by De@n; November 27th, 2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): ZTE Blade OSFI + Crescent TMV

Check Modaco:

http://android.modaco.com/topic/349014-rom-de-branded-rom-for-zte-blade-2orange-san-francisco-iit-mobile-vivacity-gingerbread/

http://android.modaco.com/topic/348988-recovery-clockworkmod-recovery-for-zte-blade-2/
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

hi

thanks
does rebranded Rom void the warranty and does it unlock the mobile from being just on orange?

and what dies clockwork mod mean?
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

To send your phone back you'd need to re-flash the original rom (which you can get from that site if you don't take a backup)

Clockwork is just the name of the software

If you're new to this, I'd advise you wait until the pro's have ironed out all the creases and get the procedure simplified... like is readily available for the original SF.
The Following User Says Thank You to fr0d0 For This Useful Post:
i5500 (November 28th, 2011)
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0d0 View Post
To send your phone back you'd need to re-flash the original rom (which you can get from that site if you don't take a backup)

Clockwork is just the name of the software

If you're new to this, I'd advise you wait until the pro's have ironed out all the creases and get the procedure simplified... like is readily available for the original SF.
yeah i think will just wait.

thanks anyways for the website links

& by the way how long did it take the people at that website to find a way to unlock networks for the SF I? since the mobile came out?
Old November 28th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't know sorry i5500 ...other guys here might know - I was quite late to the party!

BTW mods - the ZTE name for the San Francisco 2 and T-Mobile Vivacity is the Crescent... so this section should have that as a subtitle
Old November 28th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Unlocks posted here: Unlocking San Fran 2 - Android @ MoDaCo - Page 2
Old December 8th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

My SF2 arrived yesterday and I unlocked and debranded it last night. It took me about an hour as I'd never done it before on any phone and a couple of the steps were both tricky and slightly nerve wracking, but it all worked and I've my GiffGaff SIM in and working perfectly, happy days.
Old December 9th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

Which instructions did you follow?
sponsored links
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

It was the links in the posts above, however since unlocking and debranding I'm having a few issues with WIFI but getting them sorted ok
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

New guide: Unlocking San Fran 2 - Android @ MoDaCo - Page 7
Old December 17th, 2011, 04:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Now Got a step by step guide, every one can unlock the Phone without any experience. I have done on my own and this is my first android phone.

-- R2K4Net
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2k4net View Post
Now Got a step by step guide, every one can unlock the Phone without any experience. I have done on my own and this is my first android phone.

-- R2K4Net
Link?
Old December 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s):

This video may help, but bear in mind its a different site with the intents of getting giff gaff working with the ohone. I`m thinking that using the video and comparing with the instructions here in this site then determining if they are the same it may help. I know I`d prefer a video with textual instructions. I have posted this once in another thread so I`ll quote it as follows;

Quote:
Whilst containing details for using an alternative sim from giffgaff (02 network piggyback) I think this video will show the underlying process. Says he who hasn`t even got his Android phone yet and not sure if I`ll end up with the San Fran II depending on stock levels and delivery from Orange or the Monte Carlo (in shop up to now).

Unlock Orange Monte Carlo (ZTE Skate) free - The giffgaff community

Have a look and see anyway, make sure it matches the text instructions you read from here too. It looks the same but I`m no expert. Hope this helps to give a little more confidence, it has me.
Steve
Old December 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s):

My SFII is now unlocked and running 02, the same day I got it on Friday. I decided to leave installing a non stock ROM til another day. Then realised the Orange stuff is getting on my nerves already. But I found no matter what I do getting into FTM is easy but the mode where you use the up/down button to move and the Home key to select is a problem returning to. I tried all sorts but cannot get back to that point to select the de branded ROM I put on the SD Card root.

EDIT: Ignore, now de branded. May have to put the stock ROM back on and do again though. Need to wait until it charges and see again what to do for the best.

Steve
Last edited by Reider; December 24th, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old December 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I successfully unlocked mine to o2 aswell. so I can put my giffgaff sim in

i did it through the blogspot help, aswell as ggs video guide part to qpst & the clockwork/rom part from the actual modaco forum (also used the forum for like backup to check if steps were accurate) & followed frm there

glad ive unlocked it now i can utilise the mobile properly eg internet outdoors & use properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to i5500 For This Useful Post:
Reider (December 24th, 2011)
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

I've tried to unlock a San Francisco II phone but without success. Tried the sites with the code generator, entering the IMEI, but no go. I have a few attempts left but don't want to end up locking the phone up completely. I bought the phone on 30.12.11 and have just tried to unlock it today (February 3rd). Do I need to wait another couple of months before trying to unlock it? Any help gratefully received.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

Their have been no reports, as far as I know, of either the SFII or the Vivacity being successfully unlocked using a code. Many have sent them away to be done and had nothing but problems with them. The majority using the links in this post, having carefully read and adhered to the instructions, now have working unlocked and/or debranded phones.

I`m certainly glad I did it and have swapped ROMs some 20+ times now and will be trying a new one again pretty soon. I almost always go back to the same ROM (Fish N Chips) with Nemus built in but have changed my boot animation today to one I really like. Its quite addictive once you get going and you never seem to get bored of the look and layout of the phone. Ok so some of it doesn`t work 100% but its usually nothing major and often fixed by trying a different APP-sometimes preferring that one to the original. The ROMS are pretty much beta but close to final IMHO, so the odd minor error is expected until reported and fixed.
Old March 31st, 2012, 08:49 AM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
I'd like to do this but I get stuck on the "(hopefully you previously managed to backup your config with QPST)" bit. I've downloaded QPST but when I go in to QPST/Ports/Add New Port I get no ports showing. Any advice?

Edit: I managed to find a port by deselecting the "Show Serial and USB Ports only..." checkbox and I added that. But under the phone heading it shows "no phone" so that doesn't fill me with confidence.
Last edited by Arbu; March 31st, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
sponsored links
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

New foolproof guide here:

http://sanfranciscoandroid.co.uk/android/unlock-orange-san-francisco-ii/how-to-unlock-the-orange-san-francisco-ii-for-free/

Intro:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?/topic/352518-[HOW-TO]-Unlock-the-Orange-San-Francisco-II---Complete,-beginner,-noob-friendly-guide.

[HOW TO] Unlock the Orange San Francisco II - Complete, beginner, noob friendly guide.
Old April 7th, 2012, 03:49 AM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
New foolproof guide here:

How to unlock the Orange San Francisco II for free

Intro:

[HOW TO] Unlock the Orange San Francisco II - Complete, beginner, noob friendly guide. - Android @ MoDaCo[HOW-TO]-Unlock-the-Orange-San-Francisco-II---Complete,-beginner,-noob-friendly-guide.

[HOW TO] Unlock the Orange San Francisco II - Complete, beginner, noob friendly guide.
Thanks. I can't unzip orange-roms.zip though. I get the error "Error: unable to seek to beginning of central directory." from WinZip. Any suggestions?
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s):

Download it again after deleting yours, it may be corrupted. Try the quoted 7zip in the message instead. Both should work but just try it, its free and it doesn`t matter if you have both. I usually use WinRar and select "unzip here" as it does zip files as well as Rar files.

I just downloaded that file and used WinRar, selected "unzip here" and it did it in seconds. no problem here at all and all files are ready to use. Get WinRar here;

http://winrar.soft32.com/free-download?gclid=CLSjpcHYoq8CFYwMtAodokpMYQ

I usually make a folder same name as the file, place it inside the new folder. Then right click the zipped file and choose "unzip here".
Last edited by Reider; April 7th, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old April 8th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s):

OK, I've downloaded it again. And I downloaded WinRAR and unzipped it with that. Where your instructions say "open md5.exe" I assume I do this just by double clicking on md5.exe within WinRAR. When I do this I get the following errors:

"! C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\orange-roms.zip: The archive is corrupt
! C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\orange-roms.zip: The archive is corrupt
! C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\orange-roms.zip: CRC failed in Stock ROMs\rom-stock.zip. The file is corrupt
! Cannot execute "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EXa0.645\S tock ROMs\md5.exe"
"

If I try it with 7Zip (which I've also downloaded) I get: "An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file".

So I'm still stuck.
Old April 8th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s):

an .exe file is a self extracting file (an executable file) so you don`t use Winzip, 7zip, WinRar or anything like that to run it. You just doubleclick on an .exe and it runs.

What is a Self-Extracting Zip File? - WinZip Computing :: Knowledgebase

Purely as an example;

Assume you made a folder called "Test" on the desktop.
You go to the Test folder and right click, paste the orange-roms.zip file in that folder
You right click the orange-roms.zip file and choose "extract here"

You then follow the instructions on that link site.

It says open the Stock Roms folder, So you open the Test folder or wherever you extracted it to, you open the Stock Roms folder and when it says to open that MD5.exe you just double click on it to run it. You already did what you needed to do with WinRar, Winzip, 7zip or whatever you used to extract it.
Last edited by Reider; April 8th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s):

OK, if I do exactly as you say, double clicking on the Stock ROMs folder in Windows Explorer I get the following errors:

"! C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Test\orange-roms.zip: The archive is corrupt
! C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Test\orange-roms.zip: The archive is corrupt
! C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Test\orange-roms.zip: CRC failed in Stock ROMs\rom-stock.zip. The file is corrupt
"

The Stock ROMS folder does appear but the only files that appear in it are ii, ii.md5 and kernel-stock. md5.exe is not shown.

What I was doing before was double-clicking on the orange-roms.zip. Then you get a list of files in the WinRAR application window. This lists two extra files - rom-stock.zip and md5.exe. When I double click on md5.exe from within the WinRAR window I get the errors I described in my last post.
Old April 9th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbu View Post
What I was doing before was double-clicking on the orange-roms.zip. Then you get a list of files in the WinRAR application window. This lists two extra files - rom-stock.zip and md5.exe. When I double click on md5.exe from within the WinRAR window I get the errors I described in my last post.
I think the clue is in the order you are doing it. If you double click a .zip file, the zip utility shows you what's in there. Don't do that. Instead, _rightclick_ the file, and choose "extract here" or similar. this takes them out of the zip file, rather than just opening it enough to show them to you.

Afterwards, open the folder with explorer, or whatever file manager you use, and run the .exe from that, not the zip software.

HTH
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s):

No, this is what I did. There's plainly a problem with the file as it downloads onto my computer or I wouldn't be getting all these error messages. It's not to do with small details of how I unzip it. I have unzipped lots of files previously without problems like this. Can you not post the unzipped files?
Last edited by Arbu; April 9th, 2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s):

I suggest, and please don`t take offence because none is intended, that you allow someone else to do the work on your phone. Use someone who has a bit more experience in using a computer and files of this nature, ie zip files.

The reason is if you trip up on this easy part of the process then you`re most likely to trip up even more and brick the phone later. Just an opinion and at the end of the day its up to you to proceed or not.
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reider View Post
I suggest, and please don`t take offence because none is intended, that you allow someone else to do the work on your phone. Use someone who has a bit more experience in using a computer and files of this nature, ie zip files.

The reason is if you trip up on this easy part of the process then you`re most likely to trip up even more and brick the phone later. Just an opinion and at the end of the day its up to you to proceed or not.
I have more experience of using computers than almost everyone I know. If I get someone else to do it they will have exactly the same problems. You seem to be refusing to accept that when the files are downloaded onto my computer they are somehow corrupted. Unzipping files is not complicated and as I say I have done it many times before - there is clearly some problem with your zipped file. If you're not going to make the unzipped version directly available then there's nothing I can do.
sponsored links
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s):

They are not "my" files. I WAS simply trying to help you. Many people have downloaded the files, extracted them and had no problems.

I cannot make them available unzipped because they do not belong to me. If they are coming down the pipe for everyone else and not corrupted then the problem is at your end.

EDIT:

I just downloaded it again no problem
Used "Extract Here" and the MD5 EXE worked when I doublicked on it, after closing WinRar.

I then deleted the extracted contents
Next I opened the contents inside WinRar itself
Doubleclicked on MD5.exe and it still worked

So something is corrupting it at your end on download. Because it works for almost everyone else. Even if the contents were unzipped you`d have problems because the kernel-stock and the rom-stock have to stay zipped, that's how they are used. So you`d possibly still get errors. All you could do is try downloading from a friends machine and then put it on a memory stick/card.
Last edited by Reider; April 9th, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #32 (permalink)

Device(s):

OK, well thanks for your help. I just downloaded the file again with IE instead of Firefox and have had exactly the same problem. It's just a mystery.
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s):

Never give up, have a look here and see if you can download them ok. But theirs no MD5 stuff, just the stock Rom and the stock kernel file. Make sure its the SFII, no offence, I slipped up when tired many a time in the past.

[ROM] : Stock ROMs for ZTE Blade 2/Orange San Francisco II/T-Mobile Vivacity - Android @ MoDaCo

I use Modoco more than I use this site.....
Last edited by Reider; April 9th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s):

Can you use FTP like maybe FileZilla?

Edit: Scratch that. If all other efforts failed try this;

(1) Go to;

download now done, link removed.....

(2) One at a time download each of the 5 files I embedded on that page.

(3) If a download page or something pops up make sure you fully download all files in their entirety. Mine shows a dial around the background of each of the two big files and this dial is split into 8 quadrants, when all 8 have gone green the file is fully downloaded. The ROM-stock.zip will take the longest.

Hoping this alternative works, I just made the download page up and hosted the files. Then I tested it and the last file is still downloading, took ages to upload and download. But all 5 are downloading and all 5 are from that Orange-Roms file. All I did was add a download link for each individual file instead of all 5 in the one zipped file. If this works NOTHING needs unzipping after download. The two big files stay zipped.
Last edited by Reider; April 18th, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #35 (permalink)

@ Arbu: You don't unzip anything inside the first zip... That's all meant to stay zipped up. The rom is a zip file. You're supposed to check the size of that zip with the md5 utility.

Sent from my Blade2 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #36 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks, but I can't access this page. I get "
Error 404 Not found".

Quote:
Can you use FTP like maybe FileZilla?

Edit: Scratch that. If all other efforts failed try this;

(1) Go to;
[removed]

(2) One at a time download each of the 5 files I embedded on that page.

(3) If a download page or something pops up make sure you fully download all files in their entirety. Mine shows a dial around the background of each of the two big files and this dial is split into 8 quadrants, when all 8 have gone green the file is fully downloaded. The ROM-stock.zip will take the longest.

Hoping this alternative works, I just made the download page up and hosted the files. Then I tested it and the last file is still downloading, took ages to upload and download. But all 5 are downloading and all 5 are from that Orange-Roms file. All I did was add a download link for each individual file instead of all 5 in the one zipped file. If this works NOTHING needs unzipping after download. The two big files stay zipped.
Last edited by Arbu; April 27th, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #37 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
@ Arbu: You don't unzip anything inside the first zip... That's all meant to stay zipped up. The rom is a zip file. You're supposed to check the size of that zip with the md5 utility.

Yes, but the point is I can't get hold of the md5 utility.
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #38 (permalink)

Device(s):

I closed it down because my internet went crazy last night (my time). Had a power out on the ISP connection for some reason. So I cut all third party links afterward while I investigated it a little more. I`ll rebuild it and edit this post when its up again.

EDIT: Probably won`t work, as frodo suggests their do seem to be problems at your end. But try;

download done, link now removed.....

4 of the required files download for me and 1 opens to show the MD5 details inside. Let me know when you`ve finished with it so I can delete it and the link again please. I`ve also started an alternative links page here for the SFII and the Vivacity;

http://android.modaco.com/topic/353218-alternative-download-sites-sfii-and-vivacity/
Last edited by Reider; April 18th, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reider For This Useful Post:
Arbu (April 17th, 2012), fr0d0 (April 11th, 2012)
Old April 11th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbu View Post
Yes, but the point is I can't get hold of the md5 utility.
You can get md5 checking utilities all over the place, including versions to run on your phone.

Sounds like you have serious PC issues.

Arbu (April 17th, 2012)
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #40 (permalink)

Device(s): GT-I9300, GT-i8150, Momo11 Bird China Tab.
Carrier: Tesco Mobile Ireland

I always used this...

AVF

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sa.afv

In fact....wbaw used to insist on it
The Following User Says Thank You to dannymur For This Useful Post:
Arbu (April 17th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #41 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
I closed it down because my internet went crazy last night (my time). Had a power out on the ISP connection for some reason. So I cut all third party links afterward while I investigated it a little more. I`ll rebuild it and edit this post when its up again.

EDIT: Probably won`t work, as frodo suggests their do seem to be problems at your end. But try;

[removed]

4 of the required files download for me and 1 opens to show the MD5 details inside. Let me know when you`ve finished with it so I can delete it and the link again please. I`ve also started an alternative links page here for the SFII and the Vivacity;

OK, thanks I've managed to download both kernel-stock and rom-stock and I've checked their MD5 numbers against the numbers in the link that I get to when I click "ii md5" on your page. I've now copied them to my phone. On to the next stage...
Last edited by Arbu; April 27th, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #42 (permalink)

Device(s):

OK, got a problem. Not sure how it happened and it may be my fault. At stage 13 of reinstalling the stock-rom I don't see rom-stock.zip as an option. I've got kernel-stock and orange-roms.zip. I could have sworn that I copied rom-stock to my phone but it looks as if I may have copied orange-roms instead. Is there anything I can do? I'll leave my phone as it is and attached to my computer for now.
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #43 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just quickly as going out on a trip to the Anderton Boat lift (and its persisting it down). Theirs a setting in CWM to turn off the SD Card. Use that, take it out and swap the zip file for the correct one. Put it back and it will either auto turn on the SD Card again or their will be a setting. Then continue from there at a guess.

I never used this method but turned it off after the phone booted, I guess it does the same sort of thing loosely. Don`t feel bad about the slip up, we all do it from time to time. It's not letting panic mode set in and how you get around it that counts.....

EDIT: Can you take out my download links in two of your posts above please? Not needed now and I need to secure it again. Thanks.....
Last edited by Reider; April 18th, 2012 at 04:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reider For This Useful Post:
Arbu (April 18th, 2012)
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #44 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks, that has worked fine and my Tesco SIM is now in the phone and working. "Unmount" is the term used in CWM for turning off the SD card.
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #45 (permalink)

Device(s):

Now trying to install a custom ROM but not having much luck with reinstalling Clockwork Mod Recovery. The first time I tried it Windows did indeed try to install new drivers as you mention. I said yes to it doing so, it said to insert a disc if you have one, I don't have a disc so didn't insert one, it looked for drivers, couldn't find them, and then said nothing more. The MS-DOS window just sat on <waiting for device> for 15 minutes. I gave up and closed it down. Now trying again and the MS-DOS window has been sitting on <waiting for device> for a further 15 minutes. No request to install drivers from Windows this time.
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #46 (permalink)

This guide tells you what to do Arbu
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #47 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
This guide tells you what to do Arbu
Yes, I've done that. But now I want to get rid of the Orange software and so I'm following what it says in point 22 of the last page of your link:

"If you wish to install a custom ROM, follow our guide here."

And that's where I'm stuck now. I've tried it on two computers now and they both say "error: device not found <waiting for device>"

If I enable USB connection on my phone I can see the phone under "My Computer". But USB enabled or not, I still can't get the current step to work.
Last edited by Arbu; April 18th, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #48 (permalink)

Ah right. Personally I'd go with this method. WAY easier and without pain IMO: Alternative way to flash recovery - Android @ MoDaCo

I used 5.0.2.7 because I have a Vivacity. (Flibblesan's rom was built from a Vivacity)
For an SF2 I'd use 4.0.1.5 as sebs rom was built from an SF2.

This is what I did:

Check the m5sums.

Unzip to the root of your sdcard, you should have a folder called image with an image.bin and nandroid.md5 file inside it.

Check the md5sum of the image.bin matches the one listed in the nandroid.md5 file.

1. Go to settings, about phone, system updates and start from there.

------------

I did it a different way 1st time around. 2nd time I needed it I'd wrecked the phone with a dodgy rom, managed to get the latest source using the ZTE upgrade tool, then used the above method to get back to CWM.

HTH
momist (April 23rd, 2012)
Old April 19th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #49 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Ah right. Personally I'd go with this method. WAY easier and without pain IMO: Alternative way to flash recovery - Android @ MoDaCo

I used 5.0.2.7 because I have a Vivacity. (Flibblesan's rom was built from a Vivacity)
For an SF2 I'd use 4.0.1.5 as sebs rom was built from an SF2.

This is what I did:

Check the m5sums.

Unzip to the root of your sdcard, you should have a folder called image with an image.bin and nandroid.md5 file inside it.

Check the md5sum of the image.bin matches the one listed in the nandroid.md5 file.

1. Go to settings, about phone, system updates and start from there.

------------

I did it a different way 1st time around. 2nd time I needed it I'd wrecked the phone with a dodgy rom, managed to get the latest source using the ZTE upgrade tool, then used the above method to get back to CWM.

HTH
OK, thanks. I've downloaded 5.0.2.7 to my computer and unzipped it to my sd card. There are two files as you describe. In order to check the md5 number I've downloaded AVF as dannymur suggested onto my phone. I've run this on image.bin and it comes up with a checksum - 6d27e...... Then presumably I have to select the nandroid.md5 file in AVF to check that it contains the same number. So I select the file, and then "verify Nandroid backup" and get the message:

"nandroid.md5: 1 lines read, 0 existing files, 1 non-existent files

Could not verify any files in the 'mnt/sdcard/image' directory.

The selected file does not appear to be formatted like an nandroid.md5 file.

Additionally, these files do not exist and could not be verified;

*image.bin"

It all seems very complicated. Surely all I need is the checksum for the image.bin file which could be posted online rather than needing to be extracted from an md5 file?
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #50 (permalink)

Device(s):

I remembered seeing somewhere that I could just rename the Nandroid file to have the txt extension so I did that. It opened and I could see that the MD5 code matched. So I went ahead and the phone is working fine.

The only thing is I'm not quite sure what I've achieved in installing the new rom! The icons on the homepage are still kind of orange coloured and I can't delete apps that I don't want from the program list (such as Tetris). I can drag them to the bin but they're still on the program list when I go back to it. What have I achieved?

Also is it OK now to delete the three zip files that I have on my sd card?
Tags
unlock

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Orange San Francisco 2 (ZTE Blade 2)