Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Orange San Francisco 2 (ZTE Blade 2)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Cool UMA/GAN (Signal Boost)

I'm not sure if I should post this here or on the Orange thread but no doubt the moderator will re-direct if necessary.

The main reason for getting the SF2 was to use Orange UK's UMA service.
I had previously tested out their service on an old Nokia E5 using a PAYG SIM and it worked ok.

First problem was when I got the SF2 I also got a contract SIM but unfortunately despite several calls to the Orange CS and them sending several text message updates the new SIM would not register (red house) on the SF2.

I then tried putting the old PAYG SIM into the SF2 and it registered (green house) so I tried putting the new contract SIM into the old Nokia and after a bit of persuasion it then registered. I then put the contract SIM back into the SF2 and hey presto ! it worked (green house) I have since had three more contract SIMs and had to do the same with them all.

Next thing was to test if UMA worked in our European office and first time I tried it worked perfect (green house). I then got Orange to enable roaming and it immediately stopped so I tried wrapping the phone in enough tin foil to stop it seeing the foreign network but still able to see the WiFi AP and hey presto, green house !

Finally, rather than having to wrap the phone up like a Sunday roast I thought I'd tried enabling airplane mode and then re-enabling Wifi but unfortunately as soon as I select plane mode the UMA app stops.

I have since been looking for an app that would just switch off the cell radio, I found hundreds to turn off just data but none for all of the 2 & 3G.

Tim

Last edited by Howard222; March 24th, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
sponsored links
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

If you don't enable roaming it works as if its in the uk use it on wifi only

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Orange San Francisco 2 (ZTE Blade 2)