This is Nic
(despite my "wongyikhoong" username) from Malaysia. I have recently bought 2 units of Lenovo S880 from Beijing, China and I am instantly in love with this device. I see a lot of people facing problems with this phone. So I am here trying to help out as much as I can.
Lenovo S880 is a cool 5 inch ICS running device with dual sim capabilities. Specs as below:
Lenovo LePhone S880 specs
5.0″ LCD display @ 480×800 pixels
1.0GHz MediaTek MT6575 processor
4Gb internal storage
up to 32Gb via microSD
3G/HSDPA, dual-SIM, dual-standby
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
GPS with aGPS support
2250mAh Li-Ion battery
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
However, due to the fact that it is a China phone, it came pre-installed with loads of rubbish Chinese applications which tremendously slow down the device and there is no Google apps installed onto the device. The phone came with a native Chinese ROM and there IS a ROW (Rest Of The World) ROM out there.
In order to make the phone usable to us international users, you would need to flash a ROW ROM onto the device. And here's how to.
Stuff you would need:
1. Micro USB cable
2. MediaTek USB VCOM drivers
3. SP Flash Tool (v3.1206.01 or higher)
4. A ROW ROM for your Lenovo S880
All the above can be obtained from my Dropbox
1. Install the USB drivers for your S880 onto your PC. After completing installation of the drivers, unplug your phone from the computer.
2. Unzip the ROW ROM's file into a folder and also unzip all the rar files inside it as well.
3. Unzip and open up Flash Tool and locate the scatter file for your S880 (MT6575_Android_scatter_emmc.txt). It's in the "S880_ROW_S108_120906/target_bin/target_bin" folder. After locating the scatter file (still with phone detached), click on Download button.
4. Power off your phone and remove all the SIM cards as well as Micro USB.
5. Attach your phone and the process will start with various coloured status bar. Let it run until you see this.
6. Voilà... All your done. Now you can enjoy your Lenovo S880 with ROW ROM and GAPPS.