Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Pandigital Novel 7

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Pandigital with android update

So, I did the platform kit update for android on my pandigital, but now my B&N app/ Reader app is gone, and I'm wondering if I can get it back with the new platform update on the device, or am I just going to have to back to the old platform to be able to read my books again?

Help please

sponsored links
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

ATTENTION PDN USERS!!!

I think I just earned my “Haxer Badge of Brilliance” after haxer'ing the hell out of several systems resulting in me making the Internet, Android OS, android market, and PDN my *****...

Ok.., ok... but really people after 8 hours of beating my head against a wall, many failures, and a two day break to realize my failures had set me up for a huge bit of win, I found a work-around for the PDN to get any and all apps from the android market... even if you don't have a sd-card and your PDN doesn't have access to the internet and all without touching your PDN from factory standard or using anything else but your PC to get what you want.

(This works for the QVC PDN... but the concept is the same for the WHITE PDN)

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/pandigital-novel/8709-android-market-apps-pdn-without-hacking.html
Last edited by arkangelhfb; February 17th, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old February 27th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default android update

I think what you did was to update the firmware of your PDN which turns it into a regular android tablet device.
I also was missingn the B/N app. The icon was there, but no app.

Just download the Nook app from any app place but not from the market, I used freewarelovers.com, and you will have all your books back.
Old March 17th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

My mother had an issue where she updated, then couldn't launch any apps. Told her the apps were not installed when trying to run them.

A simple email to pandigital and they told her she had to apply the update twice. Which is weird, but after she had done so it worked. Only problem now is she can't figure out how to get her books back, just keeps giving her samples of books she bought. But hey, I'm proud she got as far as she did.

This was on the white Novel e-reader.
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

I had this problem (it seemed to load but there was no reader icon and the icons that were there said they were not loaded) so I called Pandigtal (the number on the website with the android update) and was told just to reload it, that sometimes it did not load correctly the first time. On my third try it worked!! Now the Apps are loaded and the eReader works better than ever!!
(Now I'm glad I waited for Pandigital to give us an official Android update instead of trying to hack it)
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Update help please?

I finally was able to get the update for the white pandigital novel. At first it told me that the Barnes and Noble app wasn't installed so I did the download again. It is working now.
The problem I am having now is that it doesn't list my books from the SD card. The only way I have found my books from the SD card was from the "Office Suite" app. It opens but not in the reader. I don't have the option to enlarge the font, use night read, etc. It won't even let me turn the page without using the arrows down at the bottom.

What am I doing wrong? How can I read my books from the SD card? I really like the look of the update but I really want to be able to read my books like I used to.
Thank you for any help you can give!
Lisa
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default pandigital

1. Plug your reader into your computer using the USB cable.
2. Locate the "My Computer" icon on your desktop or just "Computer". This can also be found by clicking on the "start" button in the lower left-hand corner of your screen.
3. Locate the drive listed as "Removable disk".
4. This file should have Adobe Digital Editions as the first icon. Delete everything in this file except for Adobe Digital Editions.

Re-run the firmware update. I have included specific instructions on how to update your Novel:

If you should have any questions after following these directions, please do not hesitate to call our customer service phone number at: (800) 715-5354.
1. Please visit our website on your home computer at www.pandigital.net
2. This will bring you to our home page, on the right-hand side of the screen you will see a box with the words “Firmware Updates Click here”, please click on this box.
3. This will bring you to the next webpage asking you to select your region. For your specific Pandigital Novel please click on the [American/Canadian] flag.
4. You have now reached our information page. On this page, please locate the blue lettering that states: “Click here to learn more and to update your Pandigital Novel.”
5. This will bring you to the actual update page. Please read over the information on what the latest firmware update can do for you. The additional features that come with this update are something to be excited about and we’re sure you will be too!
6. Please locate the blue text at the bottom of this screen that states: “Click here to run PC Updater Application.”
7. At this point if you have a pop-up blocker in use, you may get a yellow/gold bar that appears at the top of your screen asking if you would like to allow this pop up. Click on “temporarily allow pop-ups” and refresh the page by hitting the F5 key on your keyboard. If you do not have a pop-up blocker in use, ignore this step.
8. You will now have a download box appear on your screen asking you if you wish to run or save this program. If you are using Windows XP with IE you will choose the “Run” option. If you are using Windows Vista, please “Save” this file to your desktop.
9. Windows XP: At this point you may have an information box appear that will inform you that the publisher of this program could not be verified and ask if you are sure you would like to run this program—Click “Run” again. The Updater Application will start automatically. Windows Vista: Please double-click the download icon on your desktop to being running the Updater Application.
10. The Updater Application should now be on your screen. It lists the steps that you will go through to update your Pandigital Novel. Click on the blue text that states “Click here to start the process”.
11. At this point, the program will list some steps you will need to do before updating your novel. These steps are:
a. Unplugging any other USB mass storage devices from your computer. These kinds of devices include flash drives, cameras, photo frames etc. Keyboards and mice are not considered storage devices so if you have any of those plugged into your USB ports, they are ok to leave plugged in.
b. Powering your Pandigital Novel with the supplied AC adapter (please ignore this step and just be sure that your Pandigital Novel is fully charged before you attempt the upgrade process).
c. Connect your Pandigital Novel to your computer using the USB cable that was supplied with your device.
d. Power your Pandigital Novel on (your Novel will go into “PC Mode”- this means that your Novel will be inoperable while connected to your computer).
12. Once you have completed these steps, please click on “Ok” to advance to the next step.
13. The Updater Application will then display a screen and ask you to confirm the details of your device (serial number, model number, etc.). Confirm these details by clicking on the “Confirm” button.
14. You will now begin the download process. (This process can take some time depending on your computer and your internet speed).
15. Once you have finished the download the screen will display that you have successfully downloaded the firmware update. At this point you will see another text box on appear on your screen giving you more instruction. These instructions will include:
a. Removing your Pandigital Novel device from your computer
b. Informing you that your Novel may or may not turn itself off, if it does not turn itself off, please power the Novel completely off by pressing the power button and choosing the “power off” option.
c. Now it will ask you to power your Novel back on in a very specific way. Please press the power and volume up button (located on the top of your device and is the + key) at the same time (not one and then the other, they must be pressed at the same time) for 10 seconds. Please do these steps until you see two lines of white text appear at the top of your screen that states the boot count and firmware version. As soon as you see these lines of text, let go of the power and volume + buttons. This should begin the update process in the form of a blue progress bar appearing at the bottom of the screen that will state things like “verifying update.” If you have reached this screen your Novel is now updating properly. If you do not see this screen, please power your device off once more and try the activation process of holding the power and volume + buttons again. Do not be discouraged if this takes a few tries, and be sure you are holding the edge of the power + button; holding it too close to the middle will not activate the update.
d. Once the update is complete, please power off your Pandigital Novel completely, then reconnect the device to your computer using the USB cable and power it on after it is plugged in.
e. Click on “Ok”. This will then run a process called a “restore”. Once this has finished please disconnect your novel and once more perform the activation process of holding down the power and volume + buttons. You will again get another blue progress bar at the bottom of your screen when done correctly.
16. Congratulations! You have now updated your Pandigital Novel successfully! I have attached a new user manual for your use as the interface of your Novel has now changed to the most recent version. We hope you enjoy your Novel even more now and make use of all of the newest features! Happy Reading!
The Following User Says Thank You to drmrob For This Useful Post:
hotsietotsie (May 22nd, 2011)
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Thank you

I received a Black Pandigital 7" from my son for Mothers Day. I love it and I am sure I will have more fun now that I have some real help here. I did call the CS center and it was metioned that the Android OS for the white reader was different than the black one - why or how was not mentioned, but I was told the apps were the same. All I am looking for is a simple note makr - like sticky notes or post its so I can jot things down as they come to mind.
I did download the firmware update but it stopped working several times. I had it saved to Download so maybe that was the problem as I am running Windows Vista. I will do as you suggeted in your post and see how things go. Thanks again for some detailed instructions.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Well, here Iam agan and no further forward than I wa. I keep getting the message Novel pdate.xe has stopped working. I checked my Wndows Vista updates, pickd up a few and tried to follow the instructions previously posted. So, what steps am I mssing or failing to includei in the proces here? Does the fact that it is the black Pandigital make a difference? I don't have hat driver my PC keeps wantng either but I was told that didn't matter. Anyon have any ideas here? Thanks to all.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Pandigital Novel 7