Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G > Photon 4G - All Things Root

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 27th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BFE
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DoYouMoto
Default z4root for photon

i got the app downloaded but im kinda new to rooting and not sure what i need to do i want to root my photon but everytime i click temporary root it gets to aquiring root shell and then just closes out and does nothing do i need other certain apps along with z4root to do this take it easy on my my friend rooted my first phone and im tryin to learn and its some heavy stuff please anyone that could help and walk me though and do some explaining i would very much appreciate it!!!!! thank you

DoYouMoto

Advertisements
DoYouMoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 27th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

You can't get root that way. You need to download the appropriate driver (32 or 64 bit) to your computer/laptop according to your set up (if you don't know just do both). Then download one click root and extract them both to your desktop. Double click the driver first so it will auto download then the one click root and follow the kn screen commands. It will only take about 5 -10 minutes. There is a great tutorial in this form, check the all things root tag. It is labeled how to root using all in one and obtain free wifi tether (or something very similar to that). It is really easy. I was hesitant too but it is super simple.
Skrillex is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skrillex For This Useful Post:
DoYouMoto (October 1st, 2011), tattedjdubb (September 29th, 2011)
Old October 1st, 2011, 12:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BFE
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DoYouMoto
Default im noob.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
You can't get root that way. You need to download the appropriate driver (32 or 64 bit) to your computer/laptop according to your set up (if you don't know just do both). Then download one click root and extract them both to your desktop. Double click the driver first so it will auto download then the one click root and follow the kn screen commands. It will only take about 5 -10 minutes. There is a great tutorial in this form, check the all things root tag. It is labeled how to root using all in one and obtain free wifi tether (or something very similar to that). It is really easy. I was hesitant too but it is super simple.
-send me the url bro i cant find it....im noob and im kinda new to rooting so if you could explain and give me some insight and help me out i would very much appreciate it man thank you much Moto~
DoYouMoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoYouMoto View Post
-send me the url bro i cant find it....im noob and im kinda new to rooting so if you could explain and give me some insight and help me out i would very much appreciate it man thank you much Moto~
1. Get your Mopho, download "Root Check" from the Android Market.

2. Go to your computer, click start, then computer, then system properties, here you will see whether you have a 32-bit operating system or a 64-bit operating system (you need to download 2 things to use One Click Root: 32 or 64 bit driver depending on what you find here and then the One Click Root file).

3. Now go to:
Photon AIO One Click Root
(this is the link where the 2 downloads are located and the link you will see used in the video below).

4. Watch this video through once or twice to get a feel for what you will be doing and then follow every step you see in it:
How to root the Motorola Photon 4G and get Free Wifi Wireless Hotspot - YouTube
(The video moves a bit quick and I found a few differences between my computer and the video. Here are my tips: after you download the 32 or 64 bit driver and One Click Root, go to start, then computer, then downloads, right click the driver and "extract all" to the desktop (you'll see it creates an icon on the desktop, do the same for the One Click Root). In the video he double clicks on the extracted One Click Root file and then runs "root.bat" but for me it just said "root")

5. When done run Root Check and it should say you have root. Don't fear the root, embrace it!

6. Let me know how it goes.
Skrillex is offline  
Last edited by Skrillex; October 1st, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skrillex For This Useful Post:
solid610 (October 1st, 2011)
Old October 1st, 2011, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): Moto Photon, HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Skrillex - this worked for me. Thanks for posting!
solid610 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 01:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BFE
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DoYouMoto
Default Skrillex

im seriously freakin about rooting it i mean can i have your word as long as i do it right itll be ok cause i already lost my first one i just am very short of cash and cant afford it to mess up on me you know? not with a baby boy on the way so everything will be alright i want to EMBRACE THE ROOT!!!!!
DoYouMoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoYouMoto View Post
im seriously freakin about rooting it i mean can i have your word as long as i do it right itll be ok cause i already lost my first one i just am very short of cash and cant afford it to mess up on me you know? not with a baby boy on the way so everything will be alright i want to EMBRACE THE ROOT!!!!!

Why do you want root? Gotta ask yourself that question. There are not that many benefits from rooting the Photon right now.

Here is why I did it:
1. Free unlimited wifi hotspot and tethering ability.
2. Ability to block all ads in free apps.
3. Because I was bored.
4. Eventual ability to overclock/underclock the processor.
5. Eventually I will try some new roms and kernals.

Not a long list, and not exactly the greatest benefits...

Flashing custom roms is way more difficult than using a one click root and that is where most benefits exist but there are not that many good roms available for the MoPho right now.

The one click root is really easy, but if you are that worried, don't even enjoy doing it and don't know why your doing it, I would suggest you don't believe do it...
Skrillex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BFE
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DoYouMoto
Default Thats not what I'm sayin

I know the benifits and bored is definately one of them lol its not that im worried about rooting it its only because i cant afford to pay to replace it again so i wanna make sure its a safe method i would do the same for anything its just a caution thing, being a little bit more serious about protecting and taking care of my phone cause theres a good chance that the way i rooted it last time is probably why it died just makin sure but i trust ya man im goin for it....let you know how it goes.
DoYouMoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 71 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
Why do you want root? Gotta ask yourself that question. There are not that many benefits from rooting the Photon right now.

Here is why I did it:
1. Free unlimited wifi hotspot and tethering ability.
2. Ability to block all ads in free apps.
3. Because I was bored.
4. Eventual ability to overclock/underclock the processor.
5. Eventually I will try some new roms and kernals.

Not a long list, and not exactly the greatest benefits...

Flashing custom roms is way more difficult than using a one click root and that is where most benefits exist but there are not that many good roms available for the MoPho right now.

The one click root is really easy, but if you are that worried, don't even enjoy doing it and don't know why your doing it, I would suggest you don't believe do it...
A guy over on XDA is working on porting CM7 to the MoPho and I heard someone else is also working on MIUI.
__________________
Never forget before buying a phone Motorola breaks their promise of updates.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted bones View Post
A guy over on XDA is working on porting CM7 to the MoPho and I heard someone else is also working on MIUI.

That would be sweet! Have never tried CM.
Skrillex is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 4th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 71 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
That would be sweet! Have never tried CM.
I havent either and really want to give it a try. I played with my friends Droid 2 that has MIUI on it and wasnt much of a fan. I dont like the way its organized and doesnt have an app drawer. Feels much more like an iPhone.

From most reviews Ive read about CM7 its the closest to stock android in its base form but gives tons of customization options that you can play around with. Also by reducing all the background running programs it helps speed up the phone compared to a stock ROM.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BFE
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DoYouMoto
Default Thankz Skrillex

wanted to thank you skrillex for telling me about the OCR it worked great no problems yet....hopefully there wont be when you guys hear about some new sweet roms tell me about them im interested in flashing one of those to of course im gonna need to know how to do all that first
DoYouMoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
Shabbypenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,270
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 353
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,039 Posts
Default

there nothing to worry about when rooting. my script wont mess anything up
__________________
Enjoy my work?
Donate here

Know an unloved device? swing by our new forums
Shabbypenguin is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shabbypenguin For This Useful Post:
DoYouMoto (October 4th, 2011)
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BFE
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DoYouMoto
Default Hey shabby

i was on my way to the ACS forum to thank you to and to ask you something to cause you seem like the go to guy for rooting lol and when i get paid ill buy you a couple beers that sound good??

Can you explain to me more about roms and kernals still new to this rooting stuff wanting to learn all i can?
DoYouMoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 71 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoYouMoto View Post
i was on my way to the ACS forum to thank you to and to ask you something to cause you seem like the go to guy for rooting lol and when i get paid ill buy you a couple beers that sound good??

Can you explain to me more about roms and kernals still new to this rooting stuff wanting to learn all i can?
ROMs are the software you deal with that create the user interface and affect how apps and other software interact with each other. HTC sense and Motoblur are ROMs, a kernel is the software in the background the directs the hardware on how to behave such as processor speed, drivers for the radio.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 206
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2, HTC EVO LTE, HTC EVO 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
1. Get your Mopho, download "Root Check" from the Android Market.

2. Go to your computer, click start, then computer, then system properties, here you will see whether you have a 32-bit operating system or a 64-bit operating system (you need to download 2 things to use One Click Root: 32 or 64 bit driver depending on what you find here and then the One Click Root file).

3. Now go to:
Photon AIO One Click Root
(this is the link where the 2 downloads are located and the link you will see used in the video below).

4. Watch this video through once or twice to get a feel for what you will be doing and then follow every step you see in it:
How to root the Motorola Photon 4G and get Free Wifi Wireless Hotspot - YouTube
(The video moves a bit quick and I found a few differences between my computer and the video. Here are my tips: after you download the 32 or 64 bit driver and One Click Root, go to start, then computer, then downloads, right click the driver and "extract all" to the desktop (you'll see it creates an icon on the desktop, do the same for the One Click Root). In the video he double clicks on the extracted One Click Root file and then runs "root.bat" but for me it just said "root")

5. When done run Root Check and it should say you have root. Don't fear the root, embrace it!

6. Let me know how it goes.

Is this link broken now? I can't find the one click root anywhere. I can't even get into the ACS forum. Did they close this exploit or something?

Thanks
2strokenut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 02:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BFE
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DoYouMoto
Default yo

i know what a rom but when i flash one do you need to put a kernal and a rom on or what if im just wanting to change the user interface like the theme and the way the phone looks and works with me then i wont need to update or do whatever to a kernal right just like if i wanna use the alien rom do i need a kernal to im just using this as an example.
DoYouMoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokenut View Post
Is this link broken now? I can't find the one click root anywhere. I can't even get into the ACS forum. Did they close this exploit or something?

Thanks

Just Google "one click root for motorola photon 4G". I saw the downloads for the 32/64 bit drivers and one click root on several different sites. It still works after the new software update as well!
Skrillex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoYouMoto View Post
i know what a rom but when i flash one do you need to put a kernal and a rom on or what if im just wanting to change the user interface like the theme and the way the phone looks and works with me then i wont need to update or do whatever to a kernal right just like if i wanna use the alien rom do i need a kernal to im just using this as an example.

Man, that was one confusing mess of a question mash up. I think you were asking if you need to flash a rom and kernal or if it can be done independently. You do not need to do both a rom and a kernal, they can both be done independently or they can both be done together.
Skrillex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 71 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
Man, that was one confusing mess of a question mash up. I think you were asking if you need to flash a rom and kernal or if it can be done independently. You do not need to do both a rom and a kernal, they can both be done independently or they can both be done together.
Hahahahaha, I think you got it right. He should also know though that most roms recommend you unlock the boot loader.

Also 2 stroke, check some of the threads here for a poster named Shabby Penguin. He is the guy who developed the one click root and will know exactly where to find it.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 13th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 206
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 2, HTC EVO LTE, HTC EVO 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
Just Google "one click root for motorola photon 4G". I saw the downloads for the 32/64 bit drivers and one click root on several different sites. It still works after the new software update as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by busted bones View Post
Hahahahaha, I think you got it right. He should also know though that most roms recommend you unlock the boot loader.

Also 2 stroke, check some of the threads here for a poster named Shabby Penguin. He is the guy who developed the one click root and will know exactly where to find it.
Thanks guys, heres the deal, I googled it and clicked the links and this is what happens:

Virus Download Blocked

Download of the virus has been blocked in accordance with company policy. Please contact your system administrator if you believe this is in error.

File name: AdbWinApi.dll











It doesn't take you to the download. I will try to find SHabby and see if I can get it for him. Does that Non-docking root work pretty well?

Thanks fellas
2strokenut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 71 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokenut View Post
Thanks guys, heres the deal, I googled it and clicked the links and this is what happens:

Virus Download Blocked

Download of the virus has been blocked in accordance with company policy. Please contact your system administrator if you believe this is in error.

File name: AdbWinApi.dll











It doesn't take you to the download. I will try to find SHabby and see if I can get it for him. Does that Non-docking root work pretty well?

Thanks fellas
Hmm, its been so long since I downloaded it I dont remember what the download file name was. Its done everything I need it to and I havent had any issues with it. I havent flashed any ROMs yet as Im waiting on CM7 to come to the Photon. I have no issue running Ti backup, tethering, or using any of my other root only apps.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Dude it sounds like your anti virus is blocking it. Disable and re-try.
Skrillex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BFE
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DoYouMoto
Default sorry about the question...

I was in a hurry and on my way out doors so i wrote it real quick not very put together thats what i was wondering though, whether they could be flash independently or had to be done together i didnt know if a rom need the kernal to run if that makes more sense..
DoYouMoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G > Photon 4G - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.