Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Politics and Current Affairs All things political.

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree9Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 23rd, 2012, 05:31 PM   #101 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 971 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElasticNinja View Post
It works as it works anywhere else, 50% or a run off?
So? You are so afraid of fixing things yet never fail to complain about them.
Once again, you have a two-party system here. Either Romney or Obama will win 50% of the vote easily. One or the other will. Let's say neither one does. So you have a run off and the one that won the plurality the first time will win a majority the second time. What have you accomplished? You've voted twice and the same guy won both times, but he would've won the first time anyway. So what?

Advertisements
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 23rd, 2012, 11:03 PM   #102 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jefboyardee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,740
 
Device(s): Fuel W7hp Mint
Carrier: Stray Talk

Thanks: 472
Thanked 526 Times in 449 Posts
Default

ElasticNinja, Iím curious. You have a lot of opinions about American politics for someone who claims to live in Ireland. Iím an American and, no offense intended, couldnít care less about Irish politics.

And even though I donít seem to agree with anything you say, I have to admit you know a lot more about my country than I know about yours. Which is inexcusable, being that Iím one-quarter Scottish!

By the way. I voted today, R, R, R, R and R.
__________________
jefboyardee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #103 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Once again, you have a two-party system here. Either Romney or Obama will win 50% of the vote easily. One or the other will. Let's say neither one does. So you have a run off and the one that won the plurality the first time will win a majority the second time. What have you accomplished? You've voted twice and the same guy won both times, but he would've won the first time anyway. So what?
You can say the same about every run off in Presidential Elections. Thats not the point of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefboyardee View Post
ElasticNinja, Iím curious. You have a lot of opinions about American politics for someone who claims to live in Ireland.
Let me get out my conspiracy pic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefboyardee View Post
Iím an American and, no offense intended, couldnít care less about Irish politics.
And Ireland, making up .6% of the worlds economy and 1% of Europe's population really has a negligible effect on the world. You fail to realise the attention the world gives to the US Presidential Elections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefboyardee View Post
And even though I donít seem to agree with anything you say, I have to admit you know a lot more about my country than I know about yours. Which is inexcusable, being that Iím one-quarter Scottish!
LOL, I hope the inexcusable thing is a joke.. there's little point to know Irish politics and stuff outside Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefboyardee View Post
By the way. I voted today, R, R, R, R and R.
Enjoy your climate change and expensive healthcare, I guess.
__________________
Sign up for Minus online storage and get 10 GB of Free Space today! Sign up Here!
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #104 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
copestag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,353
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 247 Times in 193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElasticNinja View Post
Enjoy your climate change and expensive healthcare, I guess.
this is hilarious....... considering there is nothing any president can do about climate change...... man made climate change has been 100% disproven...... even recently admitted by the brainiac alarmists at east anglia

and healthcare costs have already dramatically risen as a direct result of obamacare........ and are expected to as much as double in the next 10-15 years as a direct result
jefboyardee likes this.
copestag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #105 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,796
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,286
Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by copestag View Post
this is hilarious....... considering there is nothing any president can do about climate change...... man made climate change has been 100% disproven...... even recently admitted by the brainiac alarmists at east anglia

and healthcare costs have already dramatically risen as a direct result of obamacare........ and are expected to as much as double in the next 10-15 years as a direct result
Wow...this scares the hell out of me that people actually believe this... again, just wow
__________________
"Machete don't text"
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #106 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
copestag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,353
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 247 Times in 193 Posts
Default

I know..... its scary when facts get in the way of your narrative..... youll have to find some other way to fear monger
copestag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #107 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
jhtalisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nashvegas, Tn
Gender: Male
Posts: 310
 
Device(s): T-MOBILE HTC ONE M8 STOCK, LG G Pad 8.3 Stock Rooted
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 23
Thanked 87 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by copestag View Post
this is hilarious....... considering there is nothing any president can do about climate change...... man made climate change has been 100% disproven...... even recently admitted by the brainiac alarmists at east anglia
I guess almost ever climatologist is wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by copestag View Post
and healthcare costs have already dramatically risen as a direct result of obamacare........ and are expected to as much as double in the next 10-15 years as a direct result
Healthcare costs have been spiraling out of control for years, and you pick this year to make this claim, when most insurance premiums will have the lowest increase in years? :facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Wow...this scares the hell out of me that people actually believe this... again, just wow
Yep, the rubbish some people have the audacity to post based on opinion or past history is astounding.
jhtalisman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #108 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,796
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,286
Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Yeah, Democrats are the big fear mongers lol. I think someone is getting too many "facts" from Rush & Fox.
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #109 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 971 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElasticNinja View Post
You can say the same about every run off in Presidential Elections. Thats not the point of them.
Guess I'm missing the point completely then. Electoral college is flawed. Two round voting changes nothing at all about our current system. Same two parties. Same two morons at the top. Only difference is they now campaign, not in states with a divided populace, but in states that are heavily populated instead.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #110 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by copestag View Post
this is hilarious....... considering there is nothing any president can do about climate change
Nothing? If they wanted to they could do so, so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copestag View Post
man made climate change has been 100% disproven
By the Koch bros? If you have access to Google you shall find that the vast majority of climatologists and scientists in general agree that mankind is responsible for the climate change we are seeing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by copestag View Post
even recently admitted by the brainiac alarmists at east anglia
Google returns nothing about a bunch of East Anglian scientists telling the world climate change is not actually happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by copestag View Post
and healthcare costs have already dramatically risen as a direct result of obamacare........ and are expected to as much as double in the next 10-15 years as a direct result
As a result of Americas lack of a healthcare system more like


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Wow...this scares the hell out of me that people actually believe this... again, just wow
Apparently a large minority of his countrymen agree which is really quite sickening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Guess I'm missing the point completely then. Electoral college is flawed.
Horribly flawed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Two round voting changes nothing at all about our current system.
Yes it does. People vote for who they want as President in the first round, then for the lesser of two evils as it were in the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Only difference is they now campaign, not in states with a divided populace, but in states that are heavily populated instead.
They'll campaign anywhere they can get a decent amount of votes.
ElasticNinja is offline  
Last edited by lunatic59; October 24th, 2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: removed pointless snarks
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 24th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #111 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,796
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,286
Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

The electoral college is stupid, but almost never picks against the winner of the popular vote anyway. I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but I think it's only happened once if I remember correctly.
Gmash is offline  
Last edited by Gmash; October 24th, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #112 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
The electoral college is stupid, but almost never picks against the winner of the popular vote anyway. I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but I think it's only happened once if I remember correctly.
I think its been four times.

Also, when you factor in the fact that many outside "swing states" don't bother to vote.
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #113 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,796
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,286
Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/03/opinion/electoral-college-101.html
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #114 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 287
 
Device(s): HTC One X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimsDelt View Post
almost no politician is perfect.
Even though its an old comment this made me laugh,
I'd very much like to meet this rare perfect politician!

Personally I know very little about american politics been from England,

In the last few years I haven't voted in our elections over here.
I understand what people are saying about find the politician that matches your views most and vote for him,

My question would be what if I don't have any faith in the system as a whole?
What if I believe that even if I vote for the person/people who's promises sound the best to me, when they actually get in to power most of them either do a complete U-turn or at the very least don't manage to get a single thing that they've promised done.
thicks56 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #115 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum
 
lunatic59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 25,312
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1, Nook Color, Asus Transformer T-1
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 8,539
Thanked 13,576 Times in 7,426 Posts
Default

Let's keep it on topic and not take cheap shots when you don't agree with what someone else has said. Express yourself with enough passion to keep it interesting but enough restraint as if someone with the authority to do something about it was watching (because we are).
scary alien and NightAngel79 like this.
__________________
_
If the information is useful, Like the post, if the person was helpful, Thank the member.
RULES: Lest we forget | This part of signature intentionally left blank.
_________________________________________________

No Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers were harmed in the composition of this message.
lunatic59 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lunatic59 For This Useful Post:
NightAngel79 (October 24th, 2012), scary alien (October 24th, 2012)
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #116 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 971 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Problem with the electoral college is that candidates end up only campaigning in certain swing states. These states can differ from year to year, but not always. There are states that are solid red or solid blue and are never going to see a candidate no matter what happens.

While not a perfect system by a long shot I go back to my argument that I don't know of any that are better. If you use the direct popular vote then candidates will campaign in high populace areas that are divided. Rural Oregon will never see a candidate ever no matter how close it is there as there aren't enough votes to swing things one way or the other. So the same flaw with the electoral college will pop up only instead of Ohio you'll see candidates in California or New York or Chicago.

So do we do a two round system? Flawed again. While a great system when there are multiple parties there are only two parties here. Why vote for the same two guys twice in a row? Pointless. The only case in recent memory where it would've made a difference was in '92 when Perot ran. Perot and Bush together gathered more votes than Clinton, but Perot took enough votes from Bush that Clinton won. So in that case you would've had a run off with Bush and Clinton. It is doubtful that many Perot voters would've voted for Clinton. So you would've had a bunch of Perot voters who are likely either going to vote for Bush or stay home. If enough of them had voted for Bush, then he would've beat Clinton. Can you imagine the uproar you'd have in this country if Clinton had won the first round of voting by nearly 6 points and then lost decisively in the second? (which would've happened if even half of Perot voters voted for Bush.) Democrats would be screaming bloody murder and I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Do we go to a prime minister type system where Congress would pick the President somehow? I don't think Americans will go for not having any say on who the President is.
jefboyardee likes this.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:41 PM   #117 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 971 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Ok, so I'm looking for some advice here as I'm thinking of actually not voting this year. Here's the reasons why:

1. There are no statewide races on the ballot. We have a Congressman who's running for re-election who is going to win in a landslide as his only opponents haven't even bothered to campaign. One is a Libertarian who has no chance of election and the other is a Democrat who lists his top reason for running as "After retirement my wife wanted me to get a job." Ugh. No governor, no Senate election, that's it. There are a few other state level jobs that are on the ballot, but those candidates are literally running unopposed. There is no one else on the ballot with them. The local offices are the same. Only one is actually contested and both candidates have annoyed the living crap out of me by spamming me with their "vote for me" nonsense non-stop for the past several months. Double ugh.

2. I'm in KS so I'm in a red state. My vote for Gary Johnson won't make a lot of difference. My vote for Romney or Obama wouldn't make a lot of difference either. Romney will win this state fairly easily so my vote doesn't matter much there.

3. The only real issues on our ballot locally is a referendum on whether to add fluoride to the water and a referendum on taxation of boats (I swear I'm not making this up). We don't have fluoride in our water right now even though it makes so much sense to have it and the nutjobs and whack a doodles have been crawling out of the woodwork with their mind control, forced medication, and horribly bad scientific arguments against it. I have a feeling it is going to get shot down in a landslide even though it got on the ballot because every single freaking dentist in town signed a petition. Every dentist in town thinks it's a good idea. That ought to mean something right? Apparently not. The other referendum would amend the state constitution so the legislature can cut taxes on boats. Currently they are taxed so high that few people buy boats and those who do register them in other states.

So, since my vote for President won't make a lot of difference, there are no statewide races and the flouride thing is going to get shot down in flames no matter what I'm considering just staying home even though I know that's the wrong thing to do. Can anyone encourage me to go to the polls?
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:52 PM   #118 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kool kat2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Carson, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,018
 
Device(s): HTC One M8
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 217
Thanked 140 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Ok, so I'm looking for some advice here as I'm thinking of actually not voting this year. Here's the reasons why:

1. There are no statewide races on the ballot. We have a Congressman who's running for re-election who is going to win in a landslide as his only opponents haven't even bothered to campaign. One is a Libertarian who has no chance of election and the other is a Democrat who lists his top reason for running as "After retirement my wife wanted me to get a job." Ugh. No governor, no Senate election, that's it. There are a few other state level jobs that are on the ballot, but those candidates are literally running unopposed. There is no one else on the ballot with them. The local offices are the same. Only one is actually contested and both candidates have annoyed the living crap out of me by spamming me with their "vote for me" nonsense non-stop for the past several months. Double ugh.

2. I'm in KS so I'm in a red state. My vote for Gary Johnson won't make a lot of difference. My vote for Romney or Obama wouldn't make a lot of difference either. Romney will win this state fairly easily so my vote doesn't matter much there.

3. The only real issues on our ballot locally is a referendum on whether to add fluoride to the water and a referendum on taxation of boats (I swear I'm not making this up). We don't have fluoride in our water right now even though it makes so much sense to have it and the nutjobs and whack a doodles have been crawling out of the woodwork with their mind control, forced medication, and horribly bad scientific arguments against it. I have a feeling it is going to get shot down in a landslide even though it got on the ballot because every single freaking dentist in town signed a petition. Every dentist in town thinks it's a good idea. That ought to mean something right? Apparently not. The other referendum would amend the state constitution so the legislature can cut taxes on boats. Currently they are taxed so high that few people buy boats and those who do register them in other states.

So, since my vote for President won't make a lot of difference, there are no statewide races and the flouride thing is going to get shot down in flames no matter what I'm considering just staying home even though I know that's the wrong thing to do. Can anyone encourage me to go to the polls?

All i can think of is if everyone who thought their votes didn't count were to go vote, it would most likely make a difference. (insert speech about the value of our right to vote)
kool kat2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.