Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Politics and Current Affairs All things political.

Like Tree7Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Evo 5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 510
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Tongue How would you fix US Economy?

I was thinking about me being president and finding ways to help the economy like ideas all fantasizing of course nothing serious

Ideas:
1. Well we manage to get gaddafi 30 billions frozen why not take a couple billions from there for the favor we doing and a little oil

2. And Japan with all the problems they are having should move those big companies like Toyota I think they are having problems because of all the natural disasters relocate them here in the U.S. so we have more jobs. Sony is also over there right ?

3. Make people start farming corn for some reason is a valuable resource...

Advertisements
Evo 5oh is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dark Jedi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Toyota, Nissan, Honda already have a few plants over here already. Most if not all of those vehicles are made in the USA for the American consumer.

A few billion won't amount to a hill of beans. So why bother.

Being president don't mean you can make changes to improve the economy. You have congress in your way and they want to know whats in it for them. They won't go this is what the president wants so lets give it to him.

You want to improve things? Get rid of all the career politicians. Then that will be a start. Bent home all the troops. Stop the all this aid we give for free to other countries.
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Evo 5oh (April 11th, 2011)
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: W France
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Verizon R2D2 android, galaxy tablet, moment, G2.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red face solving US economy

President doesn't have much to do with making most laws pass..its the house and congress and other politions that create and pass these laws. With new disasters occuring all around the world ex. Japan that's hurts our economy worse and its so easy to blame the president of making no change when Democrats and Republicans hardly or try to compromise on a situation so nobody wins. There is so much about politics in the USA that many students and americans are not aware of how the system works. I think there should be classes taught in elementry school and up to help society know why things happen with our economy and more. Washington DC hides too much about america and hold many secrets. Most Americans see the reality of politics from perception but what we don't know is the tuth...the president elected in 2012 will have it worse than Obama did in the years he had in office. Interesting I heard Donald Trump wanted to run in 2012...I'm done blabbering about this. I wish America all the luck that's all..
starship77 is offline  
Last edited by starship77; April 11th, 2011 at 05:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 81
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

The president nor congress run this country.
They just sign and pass bills based on who is paying them the most.

First thing I'd do is restructure the time off congress gets.
Then I'd restructure their pay. If you are a one time senator or rep, you get that pay the rest of your life.
Then I'd stop giving money to everyone else and I'd stop fighting their wars...we have hunger and issues at home. Fix them first. Our citizens come first.
Let me restate that more correctly, our legal citizens come first.

If you're an alien, you're gone. You can be a student...but you have to prove it. No one is a green card student for 20 years.
Otherwise, become an ENGLISH speaking citizen and pay taxes...or GTFO.

I'm tired of being the world's bank and policeman. Take care of our own first, help out when/where we can.
dajogejr is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dajogejr For This Useful Post:
starship77 (April 11th, 2011)
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: W France
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Verizon R2D2 android, galaxy tablet, moment, G2.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajogejr View Post
The president nor congress run this country.
They just sign and pass bills based on who is paying them the most.

First thing I'd do is restructure the time off congress gets.
Then I'd restructure their pay. If you are a one time senator or rep, you get that pay the rest of your life.
Then I'd stop giving money to everyone else and I'd stop fighting their wars...we have hunger and issues at home. Fix them first. Our citizens come first.
Let me restate that more correctly, our legal citizens come first.

If you're an alien, you're gone. You can be a student...but you have to prove it. No one is a green card student for 20 years.
Otherwise, become an ENGLISH speaking citizen and pay taxes...or GTFO.

I'm tired of being the world's bank and policeman. Take care of our own first, help out when/where we can.
- sounds good for helping America first, I think that's a great idea or start to helping America but there has to more I would think for America to survive. Would you still import and export stuff with other countries.. japan just got hit with another earthquake now, in progress. :/. What else would you do to make America not a target from other countries?
starship77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 81
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Simple. If you mean military/attack target, not fighting other's wars brings our troops home to protect our country.
If you mean from a financial/business point of attack, not so easy.

But there is something wrong when we have a TON of foreign cars in the US and hardly any Ford, Chevy or Dodge throughout the world.
There's a lot of issues. Foreign trade laws/tarrifs, bad business practices (bailing out banks and the auto makers, the UAW, etc.)
I wish there was an easy button for that. There isn't. But clearly what is in place isn't working.
dajogejr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

A big thing is the taxes;

First thing I'd do would be to change taxes to a flat rate tax. I cannot fathom charging the rich more, and the middle class and poor less on a percentage basis. A simple percentage based tax puts everyone on even footing from a percentage basis and the rich pay more, and those with less money pay less; plain and simple.

The other thing is revamping the business tax. I saw a good program on 60 minutes about just why all the big US corporations are sending their companies overseas. While I don't agree with it, I do understand why they're doing it. America taxes corporations at 35%, the rest of the world averages at 17%. Having headquarters overseas and paying a lower tax rate is better for the bottom line for a company, plain and simple. Lower the corporate tax rate and let these companies bring their overseas profits BACK into the USA and there's a lot more income for the government.
__________________
Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus, LTE
ROM: JB Sourcery-V2.3
Kernel: 3.0.31-g396c4df
Retired Devices: HTC Incredible, Apple iPad 2
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

1. no
2. wow how kind
3. increase subsidies???
__________________
Sign up for Minus online storage and get 10 GB of Free Space today! Sign up Here!
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Evo 5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 510
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Default

I love intelligent answers likes the ones above complete...This started as a game now im just curious what everybody have in mind and how they think.
Evo 5oh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Èvo, with all respect, this is PC&A not Forum Games
The ideas you posted are kinda flawed, but ideas are important
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Homan13PSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 508
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 102 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowninty View Post
1. no
2. wow how kind
3. increase subsidies???
How do you propose our government increase subsidies when we don't have money to subsidize with?
Homan13PSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Knewz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 821
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus(Toro) Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 73 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Change to Socialism.
Knewz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Evo 5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 510
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowninty View Post
Èvo, with all respect, this is PC&A not Forum Games
The ideas you posted are kinda flawed, but ideas are important
I was looking for creativity and you know ha what i got back was really interesting is nice to read things like this...Helps me think of deeper ideas
Evo 5oh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY USA
Posts: 905
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Samsung Fascinate, Viewsonic G-Tablet, B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 99 Times in 84 Posts
Default

* Cut the DoD budget by about 40%
* Return the tax system to what is was circa 1960
* Mandate Pay-Go policy for wars
* Reduce pay for elected officials by about 30%

Should balance the budget nicely.
__________________
LG Ally, ClockWorkMod + Velocity 0.4
Samsung Fascinate, EB01 Debloated Deodexed
Viewsonic GTablet, VEGAn 4.1
PSkeptic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Evo 5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 510
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Default

I really want them to get rid of that debt of trillions of $ before I die....
Evo 5oh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jamor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,677
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (retired galaxy nexus, htc incredible)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 643
Thanked 841 Times in 516 Posts
Default

Legalize weed and tax it. Price it so that drug dealers and importers (mexico) are driven out of business/ have no more incentive to deal.

Mad loot right there.
jamor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
How do you propose our government increase subsidies when we don't have money to subsidize with?
that's my point
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Knewz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 821
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus(Toro) Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 73 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Èvo View Post
3. Make people start farming corn for some reason is a valuable resource...
Stick it in you gas tank to save money. The whole ear though, remove the husk first.
Knewz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Destroying Balls Everyday
 
Vihzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manhattan, NY
Posts: 5,369
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 190
Thanked 1,061 Times in 673 Posts
Default

I don't think anyone knows how to "fix" the economy.
Vihzel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY USA
Posts: 905
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Samsung Fascinate, Viewsonic G-Tablet, B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 99 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihzel View Post
I don't think anyone knows how to "fix" the economy.
Quite untrue. Many know what needs to happen to fix it. The problem is the rabid right wing has seized control, through a "tail-wagging-the-dog" tactic; and is preventing meaningful solutions from being done.
PSkeptic is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

the economies of the world are very unbalanced, and will remain so as long as most of the third world remains unindustrialised

There are other issues too, such as trade imbalances within the EU, but a common tax base woulf help z grdat deal with that
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,133
 
Device(s): EVO 4G Rooted + CM7 [ROM]
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 358
Thanked 368 Times in 291 Posts
Default

I'd begin by stopping pumping money into a rediculous war. I'd also help put an end to outsourcing, perhaps with a tax. Make it NOT profitable to send jobs overseas. Our nation's reliance on overseas jobs is unacceptable.

(I say this knowing that the President isn't the person who makes this happen per se, but those are some of the things I feel MUST happen to right ourselves)
__________________
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself" - Josh Billings
lordofthereef is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Sak01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 937
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, HTC Desire
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 186
Thanked 148 Times in 115 Posts
Default

How about shutting down the 700 or so US bases around the world?

America would be booming.

The defence industry can make up the loss of income by selling to those countries that formerly housed US bases as they will obviously need to shore up their America-less defences.

Ain't gonna happen but there's your fix.
Sak01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
esthernrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 646
 
Device(s): LG Venice, HTC EVO 4G - retired
Carrier: BOOST Mobile

Thanks: 191
Thanked 348 Times in 192 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Èvo View Post
I was thinking about me being president and finding ways to help the economy like ideas all fantasizing of course nothing serious

Ideas:
1. Well we manage to get gaddafi 30 billions frozen why not take a couple billions from there for the favor we doing and a little oil

2. And Japan with all the problems they are having should move those big companies like Toyota I think they are having problems because of all the natural disasters relocate them here in the U.S. so we have more jobs. Sony is also over there right ?

3. Make people start farming corn for some reason is a valuable resource...
wipe the slate clean and everyone start from scratch...
__________________
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
esthernrob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Evo 5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 510
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Default

what might happen if we get another natural disaster....how are we going to pay for damages thats what im wondering right now ...with the hurricane season here and all...
Evo 5oh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
esthernrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 646
 
Device(s): LG Venice, HTC EVO 4G - retired
Carrier: BOOST Mobile

Thanks: 191
Thanked 348 Times in 192 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sak01 View Post
How about shutting down the 700 or so US bases around the world?

America would be booming.

The defence industry can make up the loss of income by selling to those countries that formerly housed US bases as they will obviously need to shore up their America-less defences.

Ain't gonna happen but there's your fix.
what would you do with all the AMERICAN service men and women in those bases?
esthernrob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
esthernrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 646
 
Device(s): LG Venice, HTC EVO 4G - retired
Carrier: BOOST Mobile

Thanks: 191
Thanked 348 Times in 192 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamor View Post
legalize weed and tax it. Price it so that drug dealers and importers (mexico) are driven out of business/ have no more incentive to deal.

Mad loot right there.
stoner = stoner = we be all happy
esthernrob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stinky Stinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a Dumpster! :D
Posts: 3,794
 
Device(s): Huawei Ascend Y300 :D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5,122
Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,053 Posts
Default

I hope this thread doesn't go downhill.

I hope at least.
Stinky Stinky is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinky Stinky For This Useful Post:
Evo 5oh (April 11th, 2011)
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
esthernrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 646
 
Device(s): LG Venice, HTC EVO 4G - retired
Carrier: BOOST Mobile

Thanks: 191
Thanked 348 Times in 192 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Stinky View Post
I hope this thread doesn't go downhill.

I hope at least.
you're right, onward and upward...
esthernrob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Evo 5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 510
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Default

I just realize we help other countries more then we help ourselves....I think what we did in Lybia was too kiss ass and see if they give us oil and.....they didnt...sucking up to other countries is not working new method???
Evo 5oh is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Sak01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 937
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, HTC Desire
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 186
Thanked 148 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esthernrob View Post
what would you do with all the AMERICAN service men and women in those bases?
Bring them home and downsize.
Sak01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stinky Stinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a Dumpster! :D
Posts: 3,794
 
Device(s): Huawei Ascend Y300 :D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5,122
Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,053 Posts
Default

I think maybe there are many, and loads of factors that contribute to the bad USA economy today.

For one... I think all of mankind should stop printing fake money that has no concrete or real value and go back to the Gold Standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_standard

This will stop "great" governments from getting out of control.
Stinky Stinky is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast, USA
Posts: 158
 
Device(s): Sprint - Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dark4181 Send a message via Yahoo to dark4181
Default

1) Outlaw lobbyists/lobbying
2) Reform copywrite and patent laws to end perpetual idea ownership: 10 years max, then public domain
3) Federal income tax = 10% consumption tax for EVERYONE (sans the disabled) spent according to the constitution: post, roads, national defense. +5% additional tax each year on those that make more than $1M.
4) State income tax = 20% consumption tax for everyone, sans the disabled. +10% additional tax each year on those that make more than $1M. States spend their own collections on in-state projects, no $ sent to Federal gov't
5) Balanced budget amendment: Yearly zero sum base for Fed and state
6) Term limit amendment. No more than 8 years, just like the president. No more career politicians
7) End farm, ethanol and oil subsidies
8) End the war on drugs, release non-violent drug offenders with annotated records
9) Reduce worldwide presence of armed forces
10) Adopt non-interventionalist foreign policy, except for voluntary charity to poor nations
11) Tax breaks/credits for businesses with a small Average Joe: CEO pay divide ratio
or 11b) End min wage in favor of set Average Joe: CEO pay ratio
12) People collecting unemployment/food stamps are put to work/community service
13) Drop corporate tax rate to 20%
14) Drill for oil on land and offshore while exploring alt/green energy, refine oil in country, no shipping it out
15) Enact frivolous lawsuit legislation, such as some EU nations have; ie- panels determine if a lawsuit is frivolous before it is filed, frivolous lawyers disbarred
16) End the Federal Reserve, no more vaporcash
17) End Sallie Mae and Freddie Mac, defer to the states
18) Secure the boarder, no amnesty, streamline immigration process
19) Re-reform health care. EU-style + private for those that wish it, no limits on HSA contibutions.
20) 2 years mandatory armed service for all (like Switzerland) = college paid for up to $XX,XXX
21) Unify welfare and medicare, defer control to the states. 10% tax on citizens making more than $1,000,000 to fund
22) Decentralize the Department of Education, one per state. competition between states. Treat homeschooling the same as public and private schooling.
23) Transition Social Security into 401k-type plans. No limits on regular 401k contributions
24) Build new nuclear power plants, but only to worse case scenario specifications, and no plants in earthquake prone areas.
25) Step up environmental efforts, tax breaks/credits for green companies, no more landfills, launch trash into the sun
26) Declare broadband internet and cellular service to be utilities, unify infrastructure

I'm sure there could be more, but this is what came to mind
dark4181 is offline  
Last edited by dark4181; April 12th, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dark4181 For This Useful Post:
Evo 5oh (April 12th, 2011)
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #34 (permalink)
Destroying Balls Everyday
 
Vihzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manhattan, NY
Posts: 5,369
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 190
Thanked 1,061 Times in 673 Posts
Default

#20... not for me!
Vihzel is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vihzel For This Useful Post:
lordofthereef (April 13th, 2011)
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast, USA
Posts: 158
 
Device(s): Sprint - Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dark4181 Send a message via Yahoo to dark4181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihzel View Post
#20... not for me!
Couple it with 9 & 10 and it's not so bad. With that it becomes learning discipline, skills, having a guaranteed paycheck right after highschool, and getting college paid for; rather than going off to die abroad.
dark4181 is offline  
Last edited by dark4181; April 12th, 2011 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Texas
Posts: 700
 
Device(s): Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 81 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Change immigration policy, instead of favoring families, favor the educated and talented.

If you've got a phD, front of the line.

flat consumption tax, you only get taxed if you spend, encouraging people to save more.
cipher6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Èvo View Post
I just realize we help other countries more then we help ourselves
Not according to the budget...
Not that I agree with all the aid spent, much goes to corrupt governments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Èvo View Post
I think what we did in Lybia was too kiss ass
er it was to prevent another genocide, at least partially - we have a thread on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Èvo View Post
and see if they give us oil and.....they didnt...sucking up to other countries is not working new method???
what??? Libya is not a big source of oil for the US.
Its is for Europe
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would say control the population first. Population means jobs required which leads to low unemployment rate.

viagra
primer693 is offline  
Last edited by primer693; October 11th, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer693 View Post
I would say control the population first. Population means jobs required which leads to low unemployment rate.
Is the population not sufficiently controlled as is?
Would be better to focus on reducing the amount of resources people use.
If you want to reduce unemployment, reduce the amount of hours people work.
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,568
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 261
Thanked 128 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihzel View Post
I don't think anyone knows how to "fix" the economy.
Yeah, once we *think* its fixed, it breaks again.
OutofDate1980 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 13th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 971 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElasticNinja View Post
Is the population not sufficiently controlled as is?
Would be better to focus on reducing the amount of resources people use.
If you want to reduce unemployment, reduce the amount of hours people work.
A lot of people would be ticked if you cut down on the number of hours they worked. America is a country of workaholics. Especially compared to Europeans.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,568
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 261
Thanked 128 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
A lot of people would be ticked if you cut down on the number of hours they worked. America is a country of workaholics. Especially compared to Europeans.
The only people who would be ticked off if the hours worked were cut down for employees would be the owners.

Most employees are Exempt, thus no overtime pay. If you want to see unemployment drop, restrict the definition of Exempt employees and require overtime pay.

America is a country of cowered workers, always fearful of losing their jobs.
OutofDate1980 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 971 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofDate1980 View Post
The only people who would be ticked off if the hours worked were cut down for employees would be the owners.

Most employees are Exempt, thus no overtime pay. If you want to see unemployment drop, restrict the definition of Exempt employees and require overtime pay.

America is a country of cowered workers, always fearful of losing their jobs.
I question your numbers about most employees being exempt, but I honestly don't have any stats to back up my position. Anecdotally I don't think that's true though. Almost everyone I know is hourly and gets overtime. I have a few friends who do sales type jobs and work on commission and a few who are salary (as I am), but the vast majority of my friends are hourly. I confess I can't find any any stats one way or the other though. I may not be looking in the right place.

I know people who double their salaries by working overtime. There was quite the uproar a few months ago when it was revealed that some detention deputies were making $70-80k a year when their base, hourly pay was around $30-35k. They made the additional money in overtime pay. If you waved a magic wand and eliminated all of that overtime you'd cut their pay in half and have some very angry people on your hands.

The fact is we here in the US work way more hours than Europeans do. You can claim that's because we have to, but we also take less vacation than Europeans do and American workers routinely leave vacation hours on the table. I had 160+ hours of vacation that I lost at one job I left and had a little over 100 hours I lost when I left my last job.

Interestingly enough Huffpo chalks this up to higher taxes in Europe that keep people from bothering to work more and better unemployment benefits discouraging people from looking for work.

Low Tax Rates And High Divorce Rates Help Explain Why Americans Work More Than Europeans: Report

There's also a nice article from Forbes that breaks this all down. One of the things that is interesting is that it European unions traditionally fight for less hours while American unions fight for higher wages.

Why Europeans Work Less Than Americans - Forbes.com

It is interesting that even though European works are more productive per hours the average American worker produces more in a year than the average Frenchman.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,568
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 261
Thanked 128 Times in 111 Posts
Default

If you read your post, you are supporting my position. If one is given higher wages, progressive taxation, pay for hours worked and unions to negotiate same then employers would be forced to hire more workers. I probably did overstate numbers of exempt employees, as income needs to be above $23,660 to be classified as exempt, but haven't found hard numbers. Then again, lawsuits have increased.

More American workers sue employers for overtime pay

Workers' main grievance is that they had to put in more than 40 hours a week without overtime pay through various practices:

•They were forced to work off the clock.

•Their jobs were misclassified as exempt from overtime requirements.

•Because of smartphones and other technology, work bled into their personal time.

"The recession (put) more pressure on businesses to squeeze workers and cut costs," says Catherine Ruckelshaus, legal co-director of the National Employment Law Project. If employers had to bear the actual expense of overtime, she says, they likely would have hired more workers in the economic recovery.
OutofDate1980 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 971 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Just speaking anecdotally, I don't think most Americans want less hours and more vacation time though. I don't have the numbers and stats to back that up, but that's just what I get from people I know. Certainly unions here have historically fought for higher wages, not less hours. I know quite a few people who would love to get paid more. If you gave them a choice though between say a 35 hour week and an extra $5k a year, they'd take the $5k a year. I'm not convinced that Americans want to work less. They want to be compensated for the work they do, but not necessarily work less.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
A lot of people would be ticked if you cut down on the number of hours they worked. America is a country of workaholics. Especially compared to Europeans.
I'm sure they would be upset to see a drop in their wages, but they need time to live, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
I question your numbers about most employees being exempt, but I honestly don't have any stats to back up my position. Anecdotally I don't think that's true though. Almost everyone I know is hourly and gets overtime. I have a few friends who do sales type jobs and work on commission and a few who are salary (as I am), but the vast majority of my friends are hourly. I confess I can't find any any stats one way or the other though. I may not be looking in the right place.

I know people who double their salaries by working overtime. There was quite the uproar a few months ago when it was revealed that some detention deputies were making $70-80k a year when their base, hourly pay was around $30-35k. They made the additional money in overtime pay. If you waved a magic wand and eliminated all of that overtime you'd cut their pay in half and have some very angry people on your hands.

The fact is we here in the US work way more hours than Europeans do. You can claim that's because we have to, but we also take less vacation than Europeans do and American workers routinely leave vacation hours on the table. I had 160+ hours of vacation that I lost at one job I left and had a little over 100 hours I lost when I left my last job.
Not taking your time off is a really awful attitude though. Wishing to avoid disruption to your company is one thing, and admirable, but not taking what you are due?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Interestingly enough Huffpo chalks this up to higher taxes in Europe that keep people from bothering to work more and better unemployment benefits discouraging people from looking for work.

Low Tax Rates And High Divorce Rates Help Explain Why Americans Work More Than Europeans: Report

There's also a nice article from Forbes that breaks this all down. One of the things that is interesting is that it European unions traditionally fight for less hours while American unions fight for higher wages.

Why Europeans Work Less Than Americans - Forbes.com

It is interesting that even though European works are more productive per hours the average American worker produces more in a year than the average Frenchman.
Yeah, shorter hours has always been the big thing, although wage increases above inflation are oft a demand too.

Not sure about the tax or welfare arguments though, welfare rates seem to have little effect on employment, and as for tax, well if you are earning less...
I would say that Europeans probably feel a lot more secure and thus dont feel the need to work as much. That said this idea is at odds with Americans low saving rates.


Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Just speaking anecdotally, I don't think most Americans want less hours and more vacation time though. I don't have the numbers and stats to back that up, but that's just what I get from people I know. Certainly unions here have historically fought for higher wages, not less hours. I know quite a few people who would love to get paid more. If you gave them a choice though between say a 35 hour week and an extra $5k a year, they'd take the $5k a year. I'm not convinced that Americans want to work less. They want to be compensated for the work they do, but not necessarily work less.
As more and more of the economy becomes automated, and resources become more scare in relative terms, people will have to work less or risk high unemployment and resource scarcity.
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 971 Times in 704 Posts
Default

I don't think that is the case here in America. I think if you asked people here if they'd rather have $5k more a year or a 35 hour work week people here would choose the money. I think Europeans would take the time. I remember visiting London and being shocked by how many businesses actually close at 5.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
I don't think that is the case here in America. I think if you asked people here if they'd rather have $5k more a year or a 35 hour work week people here would choose the money. I think Europeans would take the time. I remember visiting London and being shocked by how many businesses actually close at 5.
And in France, you shall find yourself without shops on a Sunday.
Anyway, I didnt disagree with you, I just said that its not a great way of doing things.
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 971 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElasticNinja View Post
And in France, you shall find yourself without shops on a Sunday.
Anyway, I didnt disagree with you, I just said that its not a great way of doing things.
Yeah, that's just mind boggling to Americans. Chick-fil-a is closed on Sunday here and people don't understand it and think it's weird. White collar stuff is routinely closed on weekends here, but blue collar stuff is open 7 days a week. I have no idea how Europeans get things done with businesses closing at 5. I frequently run errands after work and am out and about 'til 7 or 8. I don't think that's unusual either.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Yeah, that's just mind boggling to Americans. Chick-fil-a is closed on Sunday here and people don't understand it and think it's weird. White collar stuff is routinely closed on weekends here, but blue collar stuff is open 7 days a week. I have no idea how Europeans get things done with businesses closing at 5. I frequently run errands after work and am out and about 'til 7 or 8. I don't think that's unusual either.
Well if you're used to it I guess its normal. Where I live shops tend to be open 7 days a week and from morning till late in the evening.
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.