Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Politics and Current Affairs All things political.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default I believe that marijuana should be legal (discussion)

Hi im new to making apps and ive been trying to think of ideas and one of my recent ones was a marijuana trivia game that tells you the history behind the plant at the end. I am 5 days into working on it and I would greatly appreciate anyone checking it out it is still a work in progress. I am charging 2 dollars for it right now just to see where it goes eventually it will be free, but I want to wait until I have other apps on the market since I need to eat and I dont really have a way to make money right now besides this. If anyone would like to check it out search the market for 21 reasons and it should be the first posting.

bryce13950 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
noah way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 496
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 142 Times in 92 Posts
Default

This is going to be good.

noah way is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jamor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,677
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (retired galaxy nexus, htc incredible)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 643
Thanked 841 Times in 516 Posts
Default

mmmm marijuana. I have some dank right now. ak47 and blue dream.

good articles:


Is Marijuana the Wonder Drug that could Help Millions of People? | Health-be

Why the Marijuana Renaissance Is Here to Stay | Drugs | AlterNet
jamor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
mortymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 246
 
Device(s): DROIDX, Droid Eris, 4 HP touch pads that will be running ANDROID!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I think it should be legal for a whole host of reasons. Thankfully, MMJ is.
mortymouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james27007 View Post
Thank you, I missed that part. Reading too fast. Reading over it again, since it is about an app and not a discussion about making pot legal, I am moving this thread to the app section where it should have been posted originally.
sorry about misplacement, but I do feel it is about both since the app I created is about marijuana being legal, so I would also like to hear peoples opinions on the topic of marijuana being legal.
Any advice or insight on the app I am making is greatly appreciated too.
bryce13950 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Look into my Eye
 
james27007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Riverside, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,148
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 Galaxy S4 Galaxy Tab 10.1
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 445
Thanked 441 Times in 288 Posts
Default

This thread was created to discuss if marijuana should be legal based off of a trivia app here: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/351545-trivia-app-i-believe-marijuana-should-legal.html if you want to discuss the app, go there. If you want to discuss about marijuana being legal, post here. Remember no personal attacks or I will close this thread.
__________________
"Do all the good You can, in all the ways You can, for all the people You can, while You can."
Cool things to do w/Note 2 to make prople jealous
Amazing Note 2 - 3D UI
james27007 is offline  
Last edited by james27007; June 10th, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
tommy_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 590
Thanked 146 Times in 100 Posts
Default

I got in a longggg debate with someone on here about the legalization of marijuana a while back (i support legalization, or even decriminalization)

I can tell you, it never ends. It's just like debating about religion. Regardless of facts, you can't convince each other that the other is right.

That being said, I'll throw in my two cents anyway

-We spend billions of dollars every year arresting and prosecuting people for victimless marijuana-related crimes. Couldn't this money be put to something useful?

-To add to the above point, we could actually make billions by controlling and taxing marijuana

-By legalizing and controlling it, we would make it harder for kids to get. With controlled substances, you eliminate a need for "dealers" who sell to underage users as well as introduce them to harder drugs.

-Some people use marijuana strictly to help with anxiety, arthritis, nausea, and other ailments. In some states this is legal, but most have to fear criminal prosecution for using their medicine.

-Recreational use: there is NO reason we shouldn't be able to sit on our couch after work and smoke a joint. It doesn't hurt anyone and it's MUCH less harmful than alcohol.

-Not only is it NOT a violent substance, it actually prevents violence. It calms the user, and most will avoid physical altercations when using marijuana.

-It was never legitimately made illegal. Research how it came to be illegal. The surgeon general at the time gave a report on marijuana stating it had many medicinal uses and did not have long term side effects. He was ignored and it was made illegal anyway, for the financial and political gain of some rich white guys. (seems to happen a lot in government, doesn't it?)


Let's look at some interesting facts:


-Marijuana has been illegal less than 1% of the time it's been in use.

-There have been no deaths specifically attributed to the over-use of marijuana. (yes, wrecks, etc. may be attributed, but you could say the same for lack of sleep or cough syrup)

-People who use marijuana are less likely to commit a violent crime.

-The first law concerning marijuana in America was a law that required farmers to grow hemp in 1619

-The law classifies marijuana as a class 1 drug (paired with PCP, Meth, Peyote, Heroin, Mescaline, and a larger offense than cocaine, opium, or oxycodone). It is classified as having a high potential for abuse and having NO medical uses.
__________________
Please be sure to check out my band's website and click the facebook "like" button at the top of the page!!! www.failuresavvy.com
tommy_ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tommy_ed For This Useful Post:
AisSharp (June 27th, 2011), moosanator (March 8th, 2012), mrqs (November 23rd, 2011), noah way (June 11th, 2011), Tattycakes (May 12th, 2012)
Old June 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
mike114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 200
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Marijuana should be legal and regulated by law just like alcohol. You want to stop violence along the Mexican border, this is the best way to put the cartels out of business.
__________________
Obama/Biden 2012...Because some Americans still have jobs!! ~ Mike Church
mike114 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike114 For This Useful Post:
Lowrider1 (July 25th, 2011), Tattycakes (May 12th, 2012)
Old June 11th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce13950 View Post
sorry about misplacement, but I do feel it is about both since the app I created is about marijuana being legal, so I would also like to hear peoples opinions on the topic of marijuana being legal.
Any advice or insight on the app I am making is greatly appreciated too.
MJ should not be legalized. We already have proof positive that at least one major intoxicants, alcohol, is dangerous in the hands of many people that only think they can drink and drive. We do not need yet another intoxicant available to be misused.

We also have tobacco and California wants MJ legalized but they want tobacco driven out, because smoking is bad and it hurts others except for MJ which is in their view, a safe alternative to smoking tobacco. Rather odd POV and absolutely inconsistent view.

We learned how hard it is to ban alcohol so we are "stuck" with it. We just do not need another drug people can abuse. MJ has an interesting history and lots of misinformation out there. Either you are for or against it so do not let your personal "agenda" rewrite the facts contained in your application.

Be fair or STFU, as the kids say, smiley. I for one want to see your app.

And yes, Bob knows his weed but he does not partake of the noxious crap. For the record, Bob also loves his alcohol.

Bob
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike114 View Post
Marijuana should be legal and regulated by law just like alcohol. You want to stop violence along the Mexican border, this is the best way to put the cartels out of business.
Then what . . . do we legalize other products like Mexican cocaine or heroin? These products arrive from Mexico in great quantities, too. Not sure legalizing it makes sense unless you are an accountant watching the costs associated with jail and law enforcement Vs. the benefits to the public.

How can the government legalize one more thing you smoke yet castrate anyone that smokes tobacco?

And if the government gets involved, you can expect a pack of MJs to be costly and quite likely less potent than the stuff from Mexico, so perhaps trafficking will actually increase, because the Mexican MJ is stronger and you do not pay a huge tax on the illegally imported stuff.

And do we disallow you to grow the stuff yourself? Citing the strength of your home grown stuff as being dangerous and therefore, not allowed?

Here in Utah, we impose strict limits on alcohol content allowed in beer sold in places like grocery stores. I think it is 3.2%. So the government regulates strength of most beer sold in Utah.

Ease of availability likely means that more people will try it and this leads to other problems, like kids getting hold of the stuff. This would be a given because now, it is legal.

Bob
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
noah way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 496
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 142 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike114 View Post
Marijuana should be legal and regulated by law just like alcohol. You want to stop violence along the Mexican border, this is the best way to put the cartels out of business.
I never thought I would agree with you on anything.
noah way is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noah way For This Useful Post:
mike114 (June 11th, 2011)
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
noah way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 496
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 142 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
Then what . . . do we legalize other products like Mexican cocaine or heroin? These products arrive from Mexico in great quantities, too. Not sure legalizing it makes sense unless you are an accountant watching the costs associated with jail and law enforcement Vs. the benefits to the public.
In regard to your line of reasoning (cost to society) weed is entirely different from coke and smack. I once knew a NYC surgeon who wanted all drugs legalized. His point of view was formed working on drug war casualties in the ER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
How can the government legalize one more thing you smoke yet castrate anyone that smokes tobacco?
Without taking that literally, tobacco has very high costs to society from its negative health effects. Weed has a high cost to society primarily because of its illegal status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
And if the government gets involved, you can expect a pack of MJs to be costly and quite likely less potent than the stuff from Mexico, so perhaps trafficking will actually increase, because the Mexican MJ is stronger and you do not pay a huge tax on the illegally imported stuff.
That's a bit of a stretch. You don't know what the taxes would be and you probably don't know how much weed costs now. Also various hybridized domestic strains are among the strongest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
And do we disallow you to grow the stuff yourself? Citing the strength of your home grown stuff as being dangerous and therefore, not allowed?
You're getting pretty close to invasive police state territory here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
Here in Utah, we impose strict limits on alcohol content allowed in beer sold in places like grocery stores. I think it is 3.2%. So the government regulates strength of most beer sold in Utah.
Like that's a solution? People just have to drink more to achieve the same effect, or drink something other than beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
Ease of availability likely means that more people will try it and this leads to other problems, like kids getting hold of the stuff. This would be a given because now, it is legal.
The stuff is everywhere and very easy to obtain. I think more kids try it simply because it is illegal.
noah way is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gallandof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: south of boston
Posts: 1,927
 
Device(s): Droid x CM7, droid 1 CM7, Dinc 2, Droid Razr rooted debloated, Galaxy Nexus rooted&unlocked, xoom, d
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 161
Thanked 335 Times in 214 Posts
michael.cristoferi@gmail
Default

make it legal. the health benefits are huge. I have this eating disorder type of deal where food doesnt taste good, and I have no appetite 99% of the day. back when I used to smoke marijuana I actually enjoyed food as well as the taste of food, this got me into cooking. Which speaking of cooking, marijuana is a great cooking tool too. this gets rid of the whole smoking factor but still gives all the same benefits.

on top of all the individual gains, it would be a huge boon to the economy. I believe that in 2010 the marijuana industry made the country 6 billion dollars(maybe 9 cant remember) and that was with medical grade marijuana only being legal in 16/50 countries. now imagine if all 50 countries legalized it for medical purpose. thats 20 billion yearly revenue for the country thats currently being put towards the black market instead. On top of money earned through the industry there would be plenty of money saved since law enforcement wouldn't have to waste their time,resources,and talent arresting or fining another person for having pot on them.

and anyone who thinks tobacco should be made illegal needs to think quickly about how much damage that would do to the economy. The cigarette industry although deadly and dangerous is such a huge part of out state and countries income that it would be suicide to make it illegal any time in the near future.
gallandof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
MarunaZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ashland
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Droid Razor, looking...
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to MarunaZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike114 View Post
Marijuana should be legal and regulated by law just like alcohol. You want to stop violence along the Mexican border, this is the best way to put the cartels out of business.
I don't think it would put the cartels out of business, maybe the smaller hack dealers that deal in mj only. Taking the local dealers out of the mj business I believe would be more beneficial and this is why I think that.
If you could obtain it from the local corner store or grow it yourself, the people that are interested in mj only would not be under pressure from the dealer trying to make a sale with the bigger labels like meth and what not thus keeping the illegal drugs away from social smokers. Plus, I do agree it would slow the border jumping because they couldn't "compete" with the individual growers.

I saw a post about the mexican stuff is stronger, this I would have to disagree with because if you are limited on the amount of plants you were allowed to grow, you'd want to grow it the best way, hydroponically, bringing the THC level up to and above the 90% region.
MarunaZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarunaZ For This Useful Post:
gallandof (June 11th, 2011)
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gallandof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: south of boston
Posts: 1,927
 
Device(s): Droid x CM7, droid 1 CM7, Dinc 2, Droid Razr rooted debloated, Galaxy Nexus rooted&unlocked, xoom, d
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 161
Thanked 335 Times in 214 Posts
michael.cristoferi@gmail
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarunaZ View Post
the people that are interested in mj only would not be under pressure from the dealer trying to make a sale with the bigger labels like meth and what not thus keeping the illegal drugs away from social smokers. Plus, I do agree it would slow the border jumping because they couldn't "compete" with the individual growers.

thats a really good point too. I know some friends who have had much worse drugs pushed on them when they simply want to pick up some pot for themselves
gallandof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Aggie12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,682
 
Device(s): Droid X ~ GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 479 Times in 377 Posts
Default

Item 9 is the bees-knees.

But seriously. You can't really justify tobacco and alcohol being legal and MJ illegal. The former 2 are known to have detrimental effects to the human body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDC website
According to the Alcohol-Related Disease Impact (ARDI) tool, from 2001–2005, there were approximately 79,000 deaths annually attributable to excessive alcohol use. In fact, excessive alcohol use is the 3rd leading lifestyle-related cause of death for people in the United States each year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDC website
Cigarette smoking causes about 1 of every 5 deaths in the United States each year.1,6 Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following:1

443,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
49,400 deaths per year from secondhand smoke exposure
269,655 deaths annually among men
173,940 deaths annually among women
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCon.org
Marijuana related deaths - 0
__________________
Have you ever been so far even as decided to use go want to look more like?
If you feel I have helped please click the thanks button!
Questions about using your mac with your phone? Let me know.
Aggie12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aggie12 For This Useful Post:
Tattycakes (May 12th, 2012)
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
tommy_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 590
Thanked 146 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
We learned how hard it is to ban alcohol so we are "stuck" with it.

We just do not need another drug people can abuse. MJ has an interesting history and lots of misinformation out there.
in case you havent noticed, marijuana prohibition is doing NOTHING but costing taxpayer money. As for "another drug people can abuse"... it's already VERY readily obtainable. In fact it's EASIER for underage people to obtain than alcohol or even cigarettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
Either you are for or against it so do not let your personal "agenda" rewrite the facts contained in your application.

And yes, Bob knows his weed but he does not partake of the noxious crap. For the record, Bob also loves his alcohol.

Bob
not to be rude, but you are obviously biased on this subject.
tommy_ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Aggie12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,682
 
Device(s): Droid X ~ GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 479 Times in 377 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_ed View Post
not to be rude, but you are obviously biased on this subject.
aren't we all?
Aggie12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aggie12 For This Useful Post:
dylo22 (June 23rd, 2011), G0ingC0astal (October 30th, 2011), james27007 (June 13th, 2011)
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
tommy_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 590
Thanked 146 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie12 View Post
aren't we all?
very good point, i know i am. i was referring to his "personal agenda" statement though. he's got kind of a double standard there!
tommy_ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Aggie12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,682
 
Device(s): Droid X ~ GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 479 Times in 377 Posts
Default

His argument isn't very strong and it's obvious he's never going to change his standpoint. This is why I don't like arguing this subject. I'd rather talk politics TBH. Some people just have it in their head that marijuana is bad. You can thank the government for this. Having used MJ for a few years consistently I've seen the ups and downs with it. It has potential to ruin your life IF you let it get out of hand. It's really easy to just be a casual user, smoke weed every day. It's a fact that the prohibition of alcohol didn't work. It in essence made it worse due to the introduction of a lot of organized crime. Now days people don't get shot buying alcohol. We would see so many benefits if we legalized marijuana.

Economically it's the most sound option we have. Most people will agree on that part. Legalize it then we spend 10 billion less a year on policing MJ. Tax and regulate it. ????. Profit.
I think the reason it hasn't is due to the moral issues imposed on us by our government. They want us to think it's a bad drug. It will make us want to kill people. A former DEA agent said that there are more carcinogens in one marijuana cigarette than a tobacco one. This was in an interview on Fox. I laughed so hard when I heard that but that's what some people think. But in fact just the opposite is the case. Studies have shown that through the use of 'medical' marijuana that cancer cell growth can be slowed down. If you want me to find some studies I will.

I think it's also a difficult mountain to get over because the government will have to admit basically to lying to us this whole time since 1937 when it was criminalized.

But we're closer than ever to legalizing it. I would put money on it saying that MJ will be legalized in CA in 2012. The 2010 ballot didn't pass but it's picking up inertia.
Aggie12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aggie12 For This Useful Post:
Tattycakes (May 12th, 2012), tommy_ed (June 13th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Dark Jedi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

To think if the pot heads would of put their pot down for a few hrs to just vote. Then they wont have to wait for 2012 to try again. I guess pot was more important than to vote. They had their chance and blew it.

So if they legalize it where can people smoke it? They can't smoke it in the public. They can't drive and smoke. I would hope they wouldn't smoke in their houses with kids around. They legalize it and other supporters of the harder stuff will say why not coke and the other drugs. Even if you say pot isn't dangerous. They will use your argument of alcohol. They will say its just as dangerous but its legal. So no I don't see pot being legalized as if it is then it opens Pandora box.
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
dylo22 (June 23rd, 2011)
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung EPIC 4G, Asus EeePad Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 73
Thanked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Marijuana should be legal. Any real conservative would agree with me.
FreakyLocz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Dark Jedi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
Marijuana should be legal. Any real conservative would agree with me.
If a conservative don't agree with you then he isnt a real conservative. Nice of you to play judge.
 
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #24 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung EPIC 4G, Asus EeePad Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 73
Thanked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Jedi View Post
If a conservative don't agree with you then he isnt a real conservative. Nice of you to play judge.
Since conservatives claim to be about small government and personal liberty, I'd expect him (or her) to.
FreakyLocz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Dark Jedi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

If every conservative jump off a bridge would you do it to? Just because a person is a conservative don't mean they have to agree what other conservatives think is right.
 
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 891
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 88
Thanked 84 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
Since conservatives claim to be about small government and personal liberty, I'd expect him (or her) to.
Tenn. law bans posting images that "cause emotional distress". Not really.
nlsme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jamor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,677
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (retired galaxy nexus, htc incredible)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 643
Thanked 841 Times in 516 Posts
Default

Weed has just been decriminalized in Connecticut. That is 13 states and counting.

The weed revolution is here to stay!

On another note, I got freaking BLAZED last night.
jamor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
tommy_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 590
Thanked 146 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Jedi View Post
To think if the pot heads would of put their pot down for a few hrs to just vote. Then they wont have to wait for 2012 to try again. I guess pot was more important than to vote. They had their chance and blew it.

So if they legalize it where can people smoke it? They can't smoke it in the public. They can't drive and smoke. I would hope they wouldn't smoke in their houses with kids around. They legalize it and other supporters of the harder stuff will say why not coke and the other drugs. Even if you say pot isn't dangerous. They will use your argument of alcohol. They will say its just as dangerous but its legal. So no I don't see pot being legalized as if it is then it opens Pandora box.
wow. this is from the guy who claims anyone who practices free speech by burning a flag should be "shot on sight"

you really think "potheads" were sitting on their couches smoking instead of going to vote to legalize it?! no. you obviously don't know many "potheads", because they are pretty motivated when it comes to marijuana. hence the name "pothead" hahaha

why couldn't they smoke it in public? (outdoors)... there's NO WAY you would get a contact high outdoors unless they were blowing smoke directly into your face. i would think they would be able to smoke it at home. if their kids were at home, they could walk outside. i wouldn't recommend taking care of children while under the influence (same thing with alcohol), but if it was a scenario where another person (maybe the mother) was watching them then sure, why not. people have a beer after work when their kids are home.

im not trying to use the argument that alcohol is more dangerous (although it most definitely is) im simply saying that if someone is allowed to get off work and drink a beer on their couch (not hurting anyone) then they should be able to do the same with a joint. It doesnt hurt anyone.
tommy_ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jamor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,677
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (retired galaxy nexus, htc incredible)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 643
Thanked 841 Times in 516 Posts
Default

We are on the right track at least. I believe Marijuana laws will continue to be laxed and decriminalized.

The collective is finally starting to realize there isn't anything wrong with allowing people to smoke weed. A big feat considering America was founded by a bunch of prude puritans.
jamor is offline  
Last edited by jamor; June 13th, 2011 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
tommy_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 590
Thanked 146 Times in 100 Posts
Default

the moral of the story:

People are going to smoke marijuana whether you like it or not. it doesn't hurt anyone directly (no overdoses, etc.), but yes there may be a chance of someone getting behind the wheel.

why not legalize it to make money, while at the same time increasing penalties for abuse, such as driving impaired. this would actually control driving impaired MORE than it's being controlled now, and make it effectively harder for kids to obtain.

that being said, disagreeing with the legalization of marijuana is essentially a catch-22, as most opposer's main reasons are impaired driving, etc. but legalizing it would actually HELP these issues as well as make more money. If you don't want marijuana to be legal, it's because you've bought the governments empty propaganda. NOT because you want a "safer america". 9 times out of 10 i'd say this is true. and from the context of the statements above, i think we can agree.
tommy_ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
noah way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 496
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 142 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
Since conservatives claim to be about small government and personal liberty, I'd expect him (or her) to.
Are those the same conservatives behind the war on drugs, DOMA, the PATRIOT Act and the mandated purchase of private health insurance?
noah way is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #32 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung EPIC 4G, Asus EeePad Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 73
Thanked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah way View Post
Are those the same conservatives behind the war on drugs, DOMA, the PATRIOT Act and the mandated purchase of private health insurance?
The Democrats are the ones who mandated the purchase of private healthcare. Every single Republican in Congress, and 34 Blue Dog Democrats
(moderate/conservative Democrats) in the House voted against it.

I have to concede that so-called conservatives have renounced their small government values on DOMA and the Patriot Act, though.

At least we have one true conservative champion in the Senate.
YouTube - ‪Rand Paul's Epic Speech Against The Patriot Act‬‏

And how do the liberals respond?
YouTube - ‪Harry Reid Challenges Rand Paul, Defends Patriot Act 05/25/11‬‏
FreakyLocz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #33 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

i think that it should be legal because it is really good and it can help with pain x <3
catyboii is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catyboii For This Useful Post:
jamor (June 15th, 2011)
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
noah way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 496
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 142 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
I have to concede that so-called conservatives have renounced their small government values on DOMA and the Patriot Act, though.
Many in GOP who oppose health insurance requirement used to favor it

In fact the GOP wrote it in 1992 as an alternative to the Clinton Health Care Reform.

You're now 0/3.
noah way is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 891
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 88
Thanked 84 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah way View Post
Many in GOP who oppose health insurance requirement used to favor it

In fact the GOP wrote it in 1992 as an alternative to the Clinton Health Care Reform.

You're now 0/3.
I am also pretty sure, that it was the Republicans that demanded there be no public option. Thus making it "private" company to make billions.
nlsme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
gallandof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: south of boston
Posts: 1,927
 
Device(s): Droid x CM7, droid 1 CM7, Dinc 2, Droid Razr rooted debloated, Galaxy Nexus rooted&unlocked, xoom, d
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 161
Thanked 335 Times in 214 Posts
michael.cristoferi@gmail
Default

anyone have some tips on writing local politicians? theres currently two bills going through mass legislature, and I wanted to write a letter in support, but I have no clue where to begin.
gallandof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
noah way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 496
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 142 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallandof View Post
anyone have some tips on writing local politicians? theres currently two bills going through mass legislature, and I wanted to write a letter in support, but I have no clue where to begin.
Find My Legislator
noah way is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallandof View Post
anyone have some tips on writing local politicians? theres currently two bills going through mass legislature, and I wanted to write a letter in support, but I have no clue where to begin.
Contact the White House | The White House
you can also go straight to the top and try to get it talked about on a national level
bryce13950 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
noah way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 496
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 142 Times in 92 Posts
Default

The amount of traction you will get will be directly proportional to the size of the political donation you make.
noah way is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #40 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung EPIC 4G, Asus EeePad Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 73
Thanked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah way View Post
Many in GOP who oppose health insurance requirement used to favor it

In fact the GOP wrote it in 1992 as an alternative to the Clinton Health Care Reform.

You're now 0/3.
1992 =/= 2010
The GOP, and a handful of Blue Dog Democrats, opposed the ObamaCare bill ultimately passed.
FreakyLocz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
noah way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 496
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 142 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
1992 =/= 2010
The GOP, and a handful of Blue Dog Democrats, opposed the ObamaCare bill ultimately passed.
It's all a series of political ploys by both sides that are intended to kill the other party. None of them could give a rat's ass about the people of this country and many wouldn't hesitate to burn it down if that's what it takes to insure a steady supply of corporate funding and achieve their own political success.

/rant off
noah way is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noah way For This Useful Post:
cutlassracer (June 21st, 2011)
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #42 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung EPIC 4G, Asus EeePad Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 73
Thanked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah way View Post
It's all a series of political ploys by both sides that are intended to kill the other party. None of them could give a rat's ass about the people of this country and many wouldn't hesitate to burn it down if that's what it takes to insure a steady supply of corporate funding and achieve their own political success.

/rant off
For once, we agree on something.

I believe that our two-party system just lets both sides take turns at demolishing our nation.
FreakyLocz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #43 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
For once, we agree on something.

I believe that our two-party system just lets both sides take turns at demolishing our nation.
In order for our nation to survive as strong as it has in the past I believe that the political parties need to disolve, but the only true way for that to ever happen will be if we change from a democratic-republic to a direct-democracy. Our nation has become increasingly single sided, and no one seems to even care about the issues anymore its become a simple popularity contest on a national level, very disappointing George Washington is probably crying in his grave.
bryce13950 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_ed View Post
in case you havent noticed, marijuana prohibition is doing NOTHING but costing taxpayer money. As for "another drug people can abuse"... it's already VERY readily obtainable. In fact it's EASIER for underage people to obtain than alcohol or even cigarettes.


not to be rude, but you are obviously biased on this subject.
Indeed I am, but you should not apologize for pointing it out. I do not consider a strong disagreement to be rude.

I am indeed biased on the subject, but so are many/most/all pro-MJ proponents. Ironic that a passionate user of MJ would cite my obvious bias without realizing that his or her pro-stance is equally biased. And NO, I am not saying you specifically are a user of the weed.

Like I have always said, we are stuck with tobacco and alcohol and in my view, the last thing we need to add to the mix is yet one more drug.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
noah way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 496
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 142 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
Like I have always said, we are stuck with tobacco and alcohol and in my view, the last thing we need to add to the mix is yet one more drug.
It's already in the mix. The question is how to reduce/eliminate these problems:

The U.S. federal government spent over $15 billion dollars in 2010 on the War on Drugs, at a rate of about $500 per second. State and local governments spent at least another $25 billion dollars.

Arrests for drug law violations this year are expected to exceed the 1,663,582 arrests of 2009. Law enforcement made more arrests for drug abuse violations (an estimated 1.6 million arrests, or 13.0 percent of the total number of arrests) than for any other offense in 2009. Someone is arrested for violating a drug law every 19 seconds.

Police arrested an estimated 858,408 persons for cannabis violations in 2009. Of those charged with cannabis violations, approximately 89 percent were charged with possession only. An American is arrested for violating cannabis laws every 30 seconds.

Since December 31, 1995, the U.S. prison population has grown an average of 43,266 inmates per year. About 25 per cent are sentenced for drug law violations.

DrugSense
noah way is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jamor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,677
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (retired galaxy nexus, htc incredible)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 643
Thanked 841 Times in 516 Posts
Default

I get fantastic weed already - whenever I need it.

Even so, I would like it to be legal because I believe everyone should be able to enjoy it and I think Americans would be a lot happier if they could use this great, medicinal stress relieving plant made from God.
jamor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
tommy_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 590
Thanked 146 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
I am indeed biased on the subject, but so are many/most/all pro-MJ proponents. Ironic that a passionate user of MJ would cite my obvious bias without realizing that his or her pro-stance is equally biased. And NO, I am not saying you specifically are a user of the weed.

Like I have always said, we are stuck with tobacco and alcohol and in my view, the last thing we need to add to the mix is yet one more drug.
If you look a couple posts down, you will see where Aggie12 said "arent we all?" (replying to my comment) and i replied:
Quote:
very good point, i know i am. i was referring to his "personal agenda" statement though. he's got kind of a double standard there!
in other words, you have your OWN personal agenda, so your comment affects yourself as well.

Yes we are both biased. The only difference is I actually have FACTS to back up my argument. The only argument you've had supporting your viewpoint so far has been that you "don't think we should add another substance to the list" - the only problem with that is that it's ALREADY on the list. It's easier to obtain than alcohol for underage people. Why not fix that problem, at the same time also creating heavier punishment for driving impaired. If it's legal, it's EASIER to control.
tommy_ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
RedRyno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 207
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate I897 Apex 9.2,GB 2.3.4,JVR, DarkCore 3.1,KC1,Mattedblues
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 27 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I'm gonna need a couple snappers before I make my mind up on this subject...
__________________
Mmmmm Gingerbread...
RedRyno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,133
 
Device(s): EVO 4G Rooted + CM7 [ROM]
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 358
Thanked 368 Times in 291 Posts
Default

I am a guy that has never used marijuana and frankly never plan to. That said, I don't have a problem with legalization. Whether it causes deaths or not is irrelevant to me. I suppose, if it is legalized, I would prefer it rolled into public intoxication and driving laws alongside alcohol simply because it can impair judgement. I don't care what a person does to him/herself behind closed doors, but if they are putting my (or anyone else's) life in danger as a result, that is completely unacceptable.

For those arguing that alcohol and tobacco are bad too, so what? Look at the obesity problem in America. Look at the high fat and high sugar foods people are tossing down their gullet. At the end of the day it is their own decision to consume in moderation or in excess. The same is true with marijuana, tobacco, alcohol, etc. You would be hard pressed to find a smoker or a drinker unaware of the risks they are taking by having just another drink or just another smoke. People are aware, plain and simple. If they want to kill themselves by consuming in excess, why do we need a government funded program to stop them?
__________________
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself" - Josh Billings
lordofthereef is offline  
Last edited by lordofthereef; June 19th, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lordofthereef For This Useful Post:
G0ingC0astal (October 30th, 2011), IOWA (April 7th, 2012), tommy_ed (June 19th, 2011)
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
I am a guy that has never used marijuana and frankly never plan to. That said, I don't have a problem with legalization. Whether it causes deaths or not is irrelevant to me. I suppose, if it is legalized, I would prefer it rolled into public intoxication and driving laws alongside alcohol simply because it can impair judgement. I don't care what a person does to him/herself behind closed doors, but if they are putting my (or anyone else's) life in danger as a result, that is completely unacceptable.

For those arguing that alcohol and tobacco are bad too, so what? Look at the obesity problem in America. Look at the high fat and high sugar foods people are tossing down their gullet. At the end of the day it is their own decision to consume in moderation or in excess. The same is true with marijuana, tobacco, alcohol, etc. You would be hard pressed to find a smoker or a drinker unaware of the risks they are taking by having just another drink or just another smoke. People are aware, plain and simple. If they want to kill themselves by consuming in excess, why do we need a government funded program to stop them?
One big question I have is what happens if MJ were federally legalized and it becomes more widely used. Granted, it is easy to buy, and I'll give you that MJ enforcement does not work. But still, it is not legal and that makes MJ something people will not touch because of the laws.

Would legalization bring millions of users into the fold as it were? And if so, would this create more problems for society, like driving impaired? We have many users now, but I can only imaging if it were legal, how much the problem would increase. And simple arithmetic would prove that the problems would go up because we would have more users.

If people want it legalized, work the system and make it happen. Let the public decide and then we go from there.

We have two choices: either legalize it and hope for the best or get serious about enforcement and stop going about it half assed. As it is today, people use it, the coppers try to prevent it, and it is costing us taxpayers cash.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.