Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Politics and Current Affairs All things political.

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cmybliss
  • 1 Post By cmybliss

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,379
 
Device(s): GS3, Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 129 Times in 97 Posts
Default Vaccines and Autism

Another side note there are companies that are way more evil than Apple and they're not oil companies. Oil prices are driven by speculators all this domestic drilling wouldn't be possible if the price drops too far. If you really want to look at evil try a pharm company. When you take your kid to get a vaccine and the doctors want to hit him with 5 or 6 vaccines at once because that's a bonus from the drug company and then your kid has a reaction like autism. You sue the pharm company but guess what? You don't get to go into a normal courtroom you get to go to 'Vaccine Court'. A court with different rules than the normal courtroom. Also these companies support university research yet to get these grants these doctors have to be willing to let the company take ownership of all their work. Yeah Apple and Big Oil are some evil companies compared to pharm.

TJGoSurf is online now  
Last edited by lunatic59; August 16th, 2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: setting one topic
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGoSurf View Post
Another side note there are companies that are way more evil than Apple and they're not oil companies. Oil prices are driven by speculators all this domestic drilling wouldn't be possible if the price drops too far. If you really want to look at evil try a pharm company. When you take your kid to get a vaccine and the doctors want to hit him with 5 or 6 vaccines at once because that's a bonus from the drug company and then your kid has a reaction like autism. You sue the pharm company but guess what? You don't get to go into a normal courtroom you get to go to 'Vaccine Court'. A court with different rules than the normal courtroom. Also these companies support university research yet to get these grants these doctors have to be willing to let the company take ownership of all their work. Yeah Apple and Big Oil are some evil companies compared to pharm.

Please . . . there is no proof that vaccines cause Autism. There are hysterical parents with kids that may not actually be autistic, claiming their little one's problem is autism without knowing because they are not doctors or researchers.

Think of the problems we would have without vaccinations. Better yet, view this uber scientific report from the world famous Autism research team of Penn and Teller.

Strong Penn and Tellerish language, so hide your kids:

Penn and Teller on Vaccinations - YouTube
Bob Maxey is offline  
Last edited by lunatic59; August 16th, 2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: removed Apple stuff from other thread
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Maxey For This Useful Post:
cmybliss (August 16th, 2012), mriff (August 25th, 2012), Rxpert83 (August 16th, 2012)
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,379
 
Device(s): GS3, Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 129 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post

Please . . . there is no proof that vaccines cause Autism. There are hysterical parents with kids that may not actually be autistic, claiming their little one's problem is autism without knowing because they are not doctors or researchers.

Think of the problems we would have without vaccinations. Better yet, view this uber scientific report from the world famous Autism research team of Penn and Teller.

Strong Penn and Tellerish language, so hide your kids:

Penn and Teller on Vaccinations - YouTube
I don't think you fully understand what I'm posting; and that's sad.

There is no proof that vaccines cause autism. But there is proof that mercury is bad for you. Thimerosal is half mercury being used a preservative in vaccines. Loading kids up on vaccines is ridiculous and unsafe. Any doctor that didn't graduate at the bottom of their class will tell you to space apart vaccines by 3 months to make sure there are no reactions.
TJGoSurf is online now  
Last edited by lunatic59; August 16th, 2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: removed off topics and snarks
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
cmybliss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Abarat
Posts: 408
 
Device(s): Samsung GSIII (Verizon),HTC Incredible 2, HTC Incredible, HTC Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 58
Thanked 73 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGoSurf View Post

There is no proof that vaccines cause autism. But there is proof that mercury is bad for you. Thimerosal is half mercury being used a preservative in vaccines. Loading kids up on vaccines is ridiculous and unsafe. Any doctor that didn't graduate at the bottom of their class will tell you to space apart vaccines by 3 months to make sure there are no reactions.
I can't be silent on the subject of autism and vaccines. There is no factual link between the two, please stop spreading this false information. As for vaccines in general, I'd rather subject my child, and myself to them than the diseases they protect against. In this day an age there is no reason anyone should get polio, or the measles, or any of the other life threatening diseases covered by vaccinations. Again, this is just my opinion as a the parent of a child with autism.
cmybliss is offline  
Last edited by lunatic59; August 16th, 2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: keeping the topic intact
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmybliss For This Useful Post:
mriff (August 25th, 2012), Rxpert83 (August 16th, 2012)
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum
 
lunatic59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,727
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1 (retired), Nook Color, Asus Transformer.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 7,582
Thanked 12,259 Times in 6,738 Posts
Default

Please remember that at Android Forums, we attack issues, not each other. Keep it civil, reasonable and interesting. Nothing is more boring than listening to other people bickering.
__________________
_
If the information is useful, Like the post, if the person was helpful, Thank the member.
RULES: Lest we forget | This part of signature intentionally left blank.
_________________________________________________

No Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers were harmed in the composition of this message.
lunatic59 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lunatic59 For This Useful Post:
NightAngel79 (August 16th, 2012), Rxpert83 (August 16th, 2012)
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 292
 
Device(s): Samsung GS3
Carrier: T-Mobile (US)

Thanks: 8
Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Default

'On the Media' a while back had a segment discussing the rise of the vaccine and autism myth and why it persists. Here's the transcript.
cjr72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

I've done some research on my own and there is a very strong correlation between vaccines and immunity. My research even indicates that vaccines CAUSE immunity. Bizarre I know. Vaccinated people get sick less. Very weird.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, Texas area
Gender: Male
Posts: 848
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus 32GB. Nook Tablet w/CM10.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 69
Thanked 144 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Arguments on both sides of the fence.

I have a son in the Autistic spectrum. I don't know if the vaccines were the cause.

Personally, I'm more concerned about fluoridated water but that's a topic for another thread.

/Not trying to threadjack.
__________________
"A free American means just this: individual freedom for all, rich or poor, or else this system of government we call democracy is only an expedient to enslave man to the machine and make him like it. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Mayhem is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Arguments on both sides of the fence.

I have a son in the Autistic spectrum. I don't know if the vaccines were the cause.

Personally, I'm more concerned about fluoridated water but that's a topic for another thread.

/Not trying to threadjack.
Honestly, there really are no scientific arguments on the other side of the fence. The science is in. Based on our current knowledge there is no link between vaccines and autism.

Also, I've never heard of "vaccine court". But I'm not a lawyer. Any links to sources about "vaccine court."
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,379
 
Device(s): GS3, Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 129 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Honestly, there really are no scientific arguments on the other side of the fence. The science is in. Based on our current knowledge there is no link between vaccines and autism.

Also, I've never heard of "vaccine court". But I'm not a lawyer. Any links to sources about "vaccine court."
Out of everything that's what you pick up on? Not that were injecting kids with mercury?

Vaccine court - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TJGoSurf is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

They're not injecting kids with mercury. They are injecting kids with thimerosal. There is a difference in the two.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,379
 
Device(s): GS3, Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 129 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
They're not injecting kids with mercury. They are injecting kids with thimerosal. There is a difference in the two.
The molecular formula for thimerosal is C9H9HgNaO2S. If you don't see mercury in there maybe you should stop talking.
TJGoSurf is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

It's ethylmercury. You realize that right?
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,379
 
Device(s): GS3, Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 129 Times in 97 Posts
Default

You realize that the toxicity of ethyl mercury has not been studied right?

Mercury is bad for you. That's a given. Vaccines are available without thimerosal.
TJGoSurf is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

You are conflating mercury with ethylmercury. The two are not the same. Yes, mercury is bad for you. Saying that ethylmercury is bad for you because mercury is bad for you is not a logical conclusion. They are different chemical compounds.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A.Nonymous For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (August 16th, 2012)
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,379
 
Device(s): GS3, Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 129 Times in 97 Posts
Default

I don't think you're qualified to speak on this. Do you know how compounds work?

Here is a helpful guide:
TJGoSurf is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Again, you realize there's a difference between organic and inorganic compounds right? You realize that mercury and ethylmercury are NOT the same thing right?

But all of this is really irrelevant since no one has demonstrated a link between vaccines and anything other than increased immunity. Exploring the toxicity of ethylmercury may well be a worthwhile endeavor, but there's no evidence to date that vaccines are causing anything other than increased immunity.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A.Nonymous For This Useful Post:
mriff (August 25th, 2012), Rxpert83 (August 16th, 2012)
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,379
 
Device(s): GS3, Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 129 Times in 97 Posts
Default

I was only a chemical engineering student until switching to petroleum. So I probably know nothing. I'm sure you don't even believe the skyrocketing rise in autism. But I guess Marie Curie didn't think her work was dangerous.
TJGoSurf is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I thought they quit putting thimerosal in vaccines anyway... if the mercury argument is true then we should see a decrease in autism in a few short years, yes?
ApparitionXVII is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Correlation does not equal causation. Mercury != ethylmercury != methylmercury. You've got three different compounds with three different sets of properties. That's just chemistry 101. You bond a substance with something else, the properties of that substance will change. There are many elements and compounds that are completely inert until you bind them with something else. Then you get something highly unstable. You can't just say that anything bonded with mercury is bad. Also, you are dismissing the fact that the link between vaccines and autism has been proposed, studied and found to be wanting for evidence.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A.Nonymous For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (August 16th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum
 
lunatic59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,727
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1 (retired), Nook Color, Asus Transformer.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 7,582
Thanked 12,259 Times in 6,738 Posts
Default

One more time ... DO NOT make assumptions about what another member knows and keep the sarcasm to a minimum. It does nothing to advance one's position or credibility, not to mention it flies in the face of forum policy.
lunatic59 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lunatic59 For This Useful Post:
Bob Maxey (August 16th, 2012), cmybliss (August 16th, 2012), Mayhem (August 16th, 2012)
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Correlation does not equal causation. Mercury != ethylmercury != methylmercury. You've got three different compounds with three different sets of properties. That's just chemistry 101. You bond a substance with something else, the properties of that substance will change. There are many elements and compounds that are completely inert until you bind them with something else. Then you get something highly unstable. You can't just say that anything bonded with mercury is bad. Also, you are dismissing the fact that the link between vaccines and autism has been proposed, studied and found to be wanting for evidence.
I think I agree, but I am not a chemist. From what I remember about chemistry 101, you seem quite accurate. Especially the whole binding thing. I think some nerve agents work that way. Until they bind with something in your system, they are "harmless."

I also know DDT is safe but this general lack of chemical knowledge and fear mongering is why we cannot use DDT. And Carson's silly book, Silent Spring.

I will never forget the piece in the old OMNI Magazine. A simple collection of fruits and vegetables and other edibles. Each image was over printed with a list of chemicals occurring naturally in the said item.

Chocolate contais thousands of ingrediants that are bad for you. Like ethylene glycol and cyanide. Nature gives us additives manufacturers would never be allowed to add to their take on the natural item.

As for vaccines and autism, I also agree. Both sides are trying to put their points across and one side is failing. Too bad.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparitionXVII View Post
I thought they quit putting thimerosal in vaccines anyway... if the mercury argument is true then we should see a decrease in autism in a few short years, yes?
They have. FDA link here. It's been removed from all vaccines given to children six years and younger with the exception of the flu vaccine.

Nevertheless, the mercury argument is pointless at this point. The link between vaccines and autism has been studied. The best evidence we've come up with shows that there is no link between vaccines and autism. Our best research has failed to come up with anything indicating a link. If it were true that an organomercurial substance was a contributing factor to autism rates one would think the research would indicate some link between autism and vaccines. That link has, to date, not been demonstrated. In fact, the research indcates that the link simply isn't there at all. Autism rates in un-vaccinated children are the same as autism rates in vaccinated children. This was in a study that followed half a million children. Not sure how the evidence can be clearer.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Last edited by A.Nonymous; August 16th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparitionXVII View Post
I thought they quit putting thimerosal in vaccines anyway... if the mercury argument is true then we should see a decrease in autism in a few short years, yes?
Apparently you are correct. I took a look on the FDA web site and in some cases, the consentration is about 0.003% or so. The FDA requires that all vaccines reccomended for childred 6 year of age or younger and marketed in this country contain no thimerosal or only in trace amounts of 1 micro-gram or less of mercury per dose.

I prefer to trust the CDC and FDA rather than the web.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
They have. FDA link here. It's been removed from all vaccines given to children six years and younger with the exception of the flu vaccine.

Nevertheless, the mercury argument is pointless at this point. The link between vaccines and autism has been studied. The best evidence we've come up with shows that there is no link between vaccines and autism. Our best research has failed to come up with anything indicating a link. If it were true that an organomercurial substance was a contributing factor to autism rates one would think the research would indicate some link between autism and vaccines. That link has, to date, not been demonstrated.
What about the apparent lack of autism in us old farts with mercury fillings in our teeth? I grew up in a time when the metal was used in dental fillings. Perhaps it still is used. More mercury in my mouth than was ever in my vaccinations.

Or perhaps if there is a link might it be due to other components in the preservatives, not the mercury? My theory is many kids do not have autism. the parents only think they do.

Or perhaps the naturally occurring mercury in some of the foods we eat? Apparently, soda, ketchup, shell fish, regular fish and bread contains mercury in trace amounts. Perhaps those oyster sandwiches with ketchup and the cola drinks parents serve their kids is why they are "autistic?"
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
Apparently you are correct. I took a look on the FDA web site and in some cases, the consentration is about 0.003% or so. The FDA requires that all vaccines reccomended for childred 6 year of age or younger and marketed in this country contain no thimerosal or only in trace amounts of 1 micro-gram or less of mercury per dose.

I prefer to trust the CDC and FDA rather than the web.
Why the look of surprise on your face?
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparitionXVII View Post
I thought they quit putting thimerosal in vaccines anyway... if the mercury argument is true then we should see a decrease in autism in a few short years, yes?
Not really. Some scientist or Rosie O'Donnell will come up with another culprit and probably, many kids will be misdiagnosed or it will be high fructose corn syrup that apparently contains traces of mercury. I have a feeling that the link between mercury and HFCS is a way to push the ban on the sweetener.

Not sure the autism industry will give up so easily. There will always be a reason and many parents will find something else to blame.

I tried to define autism and discovered there is a wide range of warning signs. We use to call many of these warning signs, "just being a kid." I am not sure most diagnosed autistic children are actually autistic.

Apparently, "A comprehensive evaluation requires a multidisciplinary team, including a psychologist, neurologist, psychiatrist, speech therapist, and other professionals who diagnose children with ASD." Yet many parents read the warning signs on some web site and decide since their little ones were vaccinated, Bingo. The bad guy is preservatives.

I will not be one bit surprised if we eventually learn that either autism does not widely exist in the population or it is something else. Seems easy to simply say to a parent, "your child is autistic."

Or believe Jenny McCarthy that thinks the link is undeniable, case closed. She has NO CLUE or scientific background. No medical degree or time spent in a research lab or other skills that allow her to make any sort of serious comments on causality. She is a parent suffering and looking for reason.

For all she knows, her child is ill because of genetics; a leading "cause" of the problem.

And so many parents likely agree with McCarthy. Or the British study--apparnelty well regarded at the time--that turned out to be an elaborate fraud.

Look, I feel sadness for parents with sick kids, but I also feel sorry for the parent that seeks to blame one industry or product for their kid's problems sans any legitimate proof either way. Parents look for answers and often turn to crackpots that serve their own needs and goals rather than the truth.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Maxey For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (August 16th, 2012)
Old August 16th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
PH8AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 327
 
Device(s): Transform Ultra rooted running Ultrarom and BobzHome oc kernal.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 100
Thanked 70 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Not to go all Spoc about it but the most logical reason for the rise in autism rates is the decline of infant mortallity rates.
Mercury? Every where this is discussed you see the diagrams and chemical debates. I never see what I think are the 2 most logical questions you can ask.

Is the dose in the vaccine higher than the culmative(spelling) enviormental exposure?
Expanding on that, the number of products we use everyday that contain at least trace ammounts of mercury is mind blowing. Even if there is none in the product if it was used in the manufacturing process the potential for contamination is still there. Think of a can of Tuna fish. Not just the funky fish but how diligent were the folks at the can factory.

If its the mecury is to blame why are the symptoms of autism different than the symptoms of mercury poisoning? Thanks to all of us who diligently recycle our electronics we have plenty of case studies around the world for studying mercury poisoning of children. The result is not autism its classic mercury poisoning. Prenatal exposure? I guess that is trickier because of the infant mortallity rate issue again.

Just my opinion. Can't give you a link to my brain for sauce (not yet)
PH8AL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Sadly, the causes for autism are not completely known or understood. I seem to recall there is about a 90% genetic correllation which would indicate that there is certainly a genetic component to the disease and it doesn't seem like a stretch to think that genetics is a major reason for the disease. More research is definitely needed into the causes of autism. One thing we can definitely say though is that vaccines are not a contributing factor at all.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A.Nonymous For This Useful Post:
cmybliss (August 16th, 2012)
Old August 16th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGoSurf View Post
I don't think you're qualified to speak on this. Do you know how compounds work?

Here is a helpful guide:
Let me ask what your qualifications might be? There is a poster here who is well qualified to discuss this issue. About all I can do is Google, perhaps you do that as well.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 16th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGoSurf View Post
I don't think you fully understand what I'm posting; and that's sad.

There is no proof that vaccines cause autism. But there is proof that mercury is bad for you. Thimerosal is half mercury being used a preservative in vaccines. Loading kids up on vaccines is ridiculous and unsafe. Any doctor that didn't graduate at the bottom of their class will tell you to space apart vaccines by 3 months to make sure there are no reactions.
I know mercury is bad for you. Few here are arguing that with you. I still wonder about the other metals in my system. Or the uranium salts in the photographic desensitzers I once used. I handled these dangerous materials and they might have afect me in some small way. I do know with my hands in selenium toners day in and day out, I might have a problem. But I toss caution to the wind and I do not care.

Mercury is a metallic element, liquid at room temp. But metallic elements are not to be found in the preservative we are discussing. Not sure the preservitive is half mercury as you have claimed. That would perhaps be toxic. Or perhaps not.

And as was posted earlier, mercury can be found in things we eat and much of it is naturally occurring. So perhaps the levels occurring naturally are actually higher than those found in the preservatives? That make a difference in your basic argument, does it not?

Do you have a source to confirm that the preservative is half mercury?

The amount of mercuric compounds in the vial is very small and it seems to me that since your kids are not vaccinated every day of the week, whatever is there might not be a problem.

Your serve . . .
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Correlation does not equal causation.
Everyone who has ever eaten or will ever eat broccoli--no matter the concentration--will die, or has already died. Everyone who has kept or will keep broccoli in their fridge will die or has already died.

This means if you eat broccoli, you run a guaranteed health risk, so lets ban this 100% fatal vegetable.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGoSurf View Post
I was only a chemical engineering student until switching to petroleum. So I probably know nothing. I'm sure you don't even believe the skyrocketing rise in autism. But I guess Marie Curie didn't think her work was dangerous.
Few knew it at the time, including Madame Curie. She likely considered the possibility, but nobody knew much about the health risks. Sadly, radium was once used in patent medicines as well as to make clock faces glow. Lots of workers died from applying the salt.

I do know a little something about the dangers of radium, however. It is also why I am familiar with Cure's efforts to extract radium. It is really hard to know about something you just discovered. You cannot read mamy of her papers because they are too hot to handle.

No offense, but a chemical engineering student switching to petroleum does not a medical researcher make.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
cmybliss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Abarat
Posts: 408
 
Device(s): Samsung GSIII (Verizon),HTC Incredible 2, HTC Incredible, HTC Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 58
Thanked 73 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
Not really. Some scientist or Rosie O'Donnell will come up with another culprit and probably, many kids will be misdiagnosed or it will be high fructose corn syrup that apparently contains traces of mercury. I have a feeling that the link between mercury and HFCS is a way to push the ban on the sweetener.

Not sure the autism industry will give up so easily. There will always be a reason and many parents will find something else to blame.

I tried to define autism and discovered there is a wide range of warning signs. We use to call many of these warning signs, "just being a kid." I am not sure most diagnosed autistic children are actually autistic.

Apparently, "A comprehensive evaluation requires a multidisciplinary team, including a psychologist, neurologist, psychiatrist, speech therapist, and other professionals who diagnose children with ASD." Yet many parents read the warning signs on some web site and decide since their little ones were vaccinated, Bingo. The bad guy is preservatives.

I will not be one bit surprised if we eventually learn that either autism does not widely exist in the population or it is something else. Seems easy to simply say to a parent, "your child is autistic."

Or believe Jenny McCarthy that thinks the link is undeniable, case closed. She has NO CLUE or scientific background. No medical degree or time spent in a research lab or other skills that allow her to make any sort of serious comments on causality. She is a parent suffering and looking for reason.

For all she knows, her child is ill because of genetics; a leading "cause" of the problem.

And so many parents likely agree with McCarthy. Or the British study--apparnelty well regarded at the time--that turned out to be an elaborate fraud.

Look, I feel sadness for parents with sick kids, but I also feel sorry for the parent that seeks to blame one industry or product for their kid's problems sans any legitimate proof either way. Parents look for answers and often turn to crackpots that serve their own needs and goals rather than the truth.
I apologize in advance for the long winded reply. This is a subject near and dear to my heart.

I'm sorry, but I take issue with much of what you're saying here.

Yes, there are some parents out there that are looking to blame someone or something for the issues that their children have, but most of us just want to help our children live happy and productive lives. Oftimes, you need a diagnosis to do that.

Autism, like many other disorders comes in varying degrees of severity. Children can be very high functioning or severely disabled. That doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with the high functioning kids. Dr's are not as eager as you think to slap our kids with the autism label. Try defining cerebral palsy. I can guarantee you'll find many different symptoms from very mild to severe.

Take my daughter for example. She has been diagnosed with a mild form of autism and a mild, but rare type of c.p. The diagnosis process as you say, was long and complicated, and the most painful thing I have ever had to go through as a parent. You are required to document every one of your child's flaws and weaknesses. You have to speak with countless Dr's and therapists. It's exhausting for everyone involved, and heartbreaking for the parents. You must be brutally honest if you expect to find an answer. Now, most people upon first meeting her have no idea that there is anything amiss. But given time, they begin to notice the quirks. Now that she's older, those quirks are more readily apparent. Socially, she's far behind her peers, which can make school difficult. Things that come naturally for most, we have to teach her, and that takes time. It's very frustrating for her to have to learn to remember to read and interpret social cues. Sure, her symptoms are less severe than many, but that doesn't make them less real.

Personally, I think the rise in diagnosis rates stems from an increase in awareness. I know many adults who, if born today, would most likely be diagnosed with autism.

As for the c.p., we are pretty sure that was caused by the hormone used to develop the lungs in utero, or the vacuum assisted birth. When the drug was administered, the link between it and c.p. Had not yet been verified. (in fact I'm not 100% certain they have proven it definitively) It wasn't until a year later that research was published. However, even had we known of the link, we still would have taken the risk. When your choices are having a pre-term child who is unable to breath, or having one who can but has a small risk of c.p., you choose breathing. I'm not going to run out and sue the Dr's and drug companies for trying to make sure my baby would live.

Again, I apologize for the long post, and these are just my thoughts and opinions on the issue as a parent who has had to go through the process.
alsaces daddy likes this.
cmybliss is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmybliss For This Useful Post:
alsaces daddy (August 16th, 2012)
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH8AL View Post
If its the mecury is to blame why are the symptoms of autism different than the symptoms of mercury poisoning?
I would guess that an actual case of mercury poisoning is the result of taking in too much of the metal or one of its salts and the concentrations are much higher than one would see in the preservatives we are discussing. So one cannot get mercury poisoning from the tiny amount found in the preservitives.

Mercury was used for many things now gone. For example, thermometers are a problem and those that worked in the local hat factory would often suffer. Ever hear the phrase "Mad as a hatter?"

There was once an OTC medicine contain mercury compounds. Apparently, you could die from taking it with orange juice.

I still remember something called Mercurochrome. It was an OTC treatment for cuts.

Should we ever be forced to use those new lightbulbs, expect an increase in mercury. Should one break and fall into your carpet, heep your pubby away untill you have it cleaned. Your dog might become autistic.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Again, the issue of the toxicity of mercury is irrelevant as there is no mercury in vaccines. There is a compound that is made with Ethylmercury which has completely different properties than regular mercury. And besides that, that hasn't been in vaccines in the US since 1997 and was taken out of vaccines overseas in 1992, yet autism rates have risen since then. The idea that mercury is linked to autism at all is pretty fairly debunked at this point. There's just no evidence at all to back up that idea and the evidence would indicate the opposite.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A.Nonymous For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (August 16th, 2012)
Old August 24th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
cmybliss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Abarat
Posts: 408
 
Device(s): Samsung GSIII (Verizon),HTC Incredible 2, HTC Incredible, HTC Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 58
Thanked 73 Times in 51 Posts
Default

And this is why the myth of vaccines causing autism needs to be thoroughly debunked.
http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/08/widespread-vaccine-exemptions-are-messing-with-herd-immunity/
Rxpert83 likes this.
cmybliss is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmybliss For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (August 24th, 2012)
Old August 25th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Even if this crackpot idea was true, surely your kid having autism is not even comparable with them dying of a disease.
__________________
Sign up for Minus online storage and get 10 GB of Free Space today! Sign up Here!
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zemerick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 572
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible ( Retired ) Samsung Galaxy S3 ( VZW )
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 130 Times in 97 Posts
Default

It should also be pointed out that the Penn and Teller video mentioned early actually mentions the cause of the massive rise in autism in children. There was a reclassification of what "autism" actually is, and the new classification was vastly broader. The actual rate of autism didn't change, just who was classified with it. You can also add in increased awareness of autism itself has caused many more children to be identified with it.

So, this topic is pretty well and debunked at least 3 different ways.
zemerick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,568
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 261
Thanked 127 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Sadly, the causes for autism are not completely known or understood. I seem to recall there is about a 90% genetic correllation which would indicate that there is certainly a genetic component to the disease and it doesn't seem like a stretch to think that genetics is a major reason for the disease. More research is definitely needed into the causes of autism. One thing we can definitely say though is that vaccines are not a contributing factor at all.
Delay in fatherhood maybe a contributing factor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/23/health/fathers-age-is-linked-to-risk-of-autism-and-schizophrenia.html

"Older men are more likely than young ones to father a child who develops autism or schizophrenia, because of random mutations that become more numerous with advancing paternal age, scientists reported on Wednesday, in the first study to quantify the effect as it builds each year. The age of mothers had no bearing on the risk for these disorders, the study found."
OutofDate1980 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
cmybliss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Abarat
Posts: 408
 
Device(s): Samsung GSIII (Verizon),HTC Incredible 2, HTC Incredible, HTC Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 58
Thanked 73 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofDate1980 View Post
Delay in fatherhood maybe a contributing factor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/23/health/fathers-age-is-linked-to-risk-of-autism-and-schizophrenia.html

"Older men are more likely than young ones to father a child who develops autism or schizophrenia, because of random mutations that become more numerous with advancing paternal age, scientists reported on Wednesday, in the first study to quantify the effect as it builds each year. The age of mothers had no bearing on the risk for these disorders, the study found."
A friend and I were just talking about this! Very interesting stuff.
cmybliss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
PH8AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 327
 
Device(s): Transform Ultra rooted running Ultrarom and BobzHome oc kernal.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 100
Thanked 70 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Well that sure turns the whole teenage pregnency debate on its head doesn't?

Please can we all stop refering to autism as a disease, its aloosely defined group of symptoms and conditions that might be caused by multiple different diseases and disorders. Sorry if it sounds like I'm nit picking but proper terminology is important to public understanding which affects peoples choices.
PH8AL is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PH8AL For This Useful Post:
cmybliss (August 30th, 2012)
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.