Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Politics and Current Affairs All things political.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree9Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 1st, 2012, 10:48 AM   #51 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
RazorSharp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,195
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,345
Thanked 1,959 Times in 807 Posts
Default

Ah, I see, my mistake.

__________________
These teeth are razor sharp...
RazorSharp is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 1st, 2012, 10:53 AM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
PH8AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 327
 
Device(s): Transform Ultra rooted running Ultrarom and BobzHome oc kernal.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 100
Thanked 70 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Also that first link should be this one. Copy and paste error. If a mod could fix I would be thankful.

Here is the vid it should have linked.

YouTube - TTAT THE NEWSROOM #5 - Obama vs. Gun Laws

Ain't you glad I wasn't watching porn before pasting. Lol
PH8AL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM   #53 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,568
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 261
Thanked 127 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Standard and Poors blamed both parties so pointing the finger at just one of them is ridiculous. ...
Not ridiculous at all, since S&P did just that; "the majority of Republicans in Congress continue to resist any measure that would raise revenues"

This is a working direct link to the S&P release: S&P | United States of America Long-Term Rating Lowered To 'AA+' Due To Political Risks, Rising Debt Burden; Outlook Negative | Americas

The Republican political brinkmanship over raising the debt ceiling was a direct cause of the downgrade. Part of the solution, just let the tax cuts expire.

BREAKING: S & P Downgrades U.S. Credit For First Time In History, Repeatedly Cites GOP Intransigence On Taxes | ThinkProgress

"In explaining their decision Standard & Poor’s cites both the decision by Republicans in Congress to turn the debt ceiling into a political football and the Republicans intransigence on tax increases. Some excerpts from the release:

[...]The political brinksmanship of recent months highlights what we see as America’s governance and policymaking becoming less stable, less effective, and less predictable than what we previously believed. The statutory debt ceiling and the threat of default have become political bargaining chips in the debate over fiscal policy.

[...]It appears that for now, new revenues have dropped down on the menu of policy options.

[...]The act contains no measures to raise taxes or otherwise enhance revenues, though the committee could recommend them.

[...]Compared with previous projections, our revised base case scenario now assumes that the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, due to expire by the end of 2012, remain in place. We have changed our assumption on this because the majority of Republicans in Congress continue to resist any measure that would raise revenues, a position we believe Congress reinforced by passing the act.

Standard & Poors indicates that they could improve their rating for the U.S. if “the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts for high earners lapse from 2013 onwards, as the Administration is advocating.”"
OutofDate1980 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 01:26 PM   #54 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Paul Ryan Represents the Conservative Wing of a Conservative Party - SPIEGEL ONLINE
__________________
Sign up for Minus online storage and get 10 GB of Free Space today! Sign up Here!
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 03:18 PM   #55 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,568
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 261
Thanked 127 Times in 111 Posts
Default

GOP bumper sticker: Cheater Mitt & Lying Ryan
OutofDate1980 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:37 PM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,568
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 261
Thanked 127 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatly View Post
You left wing guys sure sound bitter and angry. We're told the left is understanding, tolerant and embraces diversity but I don't see it. Diversity isn't just colors and accents. It's thought and opinion too. How can everyone you disagree with be a liar?
We can change that.

RNC 2012 - The Road to Jeb Bush 2016 - We Can Change That - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 08/30/12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
OutofDate1980 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 08:46 PM   #57 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofDate1980 View Post
Not ridiculous at all, since S&P did just that; "the majority of Republicans in Congress continue to resist any measure that would raise revenues"

This is a working direct link to the S&P release: S&P | United States of America Long-Term Rating Lowered To 'AA+' Due To Political Risks, Rising Debt Burden; Outlook Negative | Americas

The Republican political brinkmanship over raising the debt ceiling was a direct cause of the downgrade. Part of the solution, just let the tax cuts expire.

BREAKING: S & P Downgrades U.S. Credit For First Time In History, Repeatedly Cites GOP Intransigence On Taxes | ThinkProgress

"In explaining their decision Standard & Poor’s cites both the decision by Republicans in Congress to turn the debt ceiling into a political football and the Republicans intransigence on tax increases. Some excerpts from the release:

[...]The political brinksmanship of recent months highlights what we see as America’s governance and policymaking becoming less stable, less effective, and less predictable than what we previously believed. The statutory debt ceiling and the threat of default have become political bargaining chips in the debate over fiscal policy.

[...]It appears that for now, new revenues have dropped down on the menu of policy options.

[...]The act contains no measures to raise taxes or otherwise enhance revenues, though the committee could recommend them.

[...]Compared with previous projections, our revised base case scenario now assumes that the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, due to expire by the end of 2012, remain in place. We have changed our assumption on this because the majority of Republicans in Congress continue to resist any measure that would raise revenues, a position we believe Congress reinforced by passing the act.

Standard & Poors indicates that they could improve their rating for the U.S. if “the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts for high earners lapse from 2013 onwards, as the Administration is advocating.”"
You make it sound like the Dems were nice little children and the GOP was just horrible, horrible people with demon horns who just refused to play nice with others.

That same report said,

Quote:
Republicans and Democrats have only been able to agree to relatively modest savings on discretionary spending while delegating to the Select Committee [of Congress] decisions on more comprehensive measures. It appears that for now, new revenues have dropped down on the menu of policy options
It's the fault of both parties. Both parties used the debt ceiling for political purposes. Both of them. The Dems claimed we needed tax hikes. The Republicans claimed we needed budget cuts. Neither would budge. Both sides are 100% responsible. Both sides turned it into a political football.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 09:50 PM   #58 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,568
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 261
Thanked 127 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
... It's the fault of both parties. Both parties used the debt ceiling for political purposes. Both of them. The Dems claimed we needed tax hikes. The Republicans claimed we needed budget cuts. Neither would budge. Both sides are 100% responsible. Both sides turned it into a political football.
BS. Hey, there's this thing called the internet, so revisionist history won't work. The Republicans attempted to force a default with the debt ceiling.

United States debt-ceiling crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"According to the Treasury, "failing to increase the debt limit would . . . cause the government to default on its legal obligations – an unprecedented event in American history".[15] These legal obligations include paying Social Security and Medicare benefits, military salaries, interest on the debt, and many other items. Making the promised payments of the principal and interest of US treasury securities on time ensures that the nation does not default on its sovereign debt.[16][17]"

"The debt-ceiling crisis of 2011 has shown how a party in control of only one chamber of Congress (in this case, Republicans in control of the House of Representatives but not the Senate or the Presidency) can have significant influence if it chooses to block the routine raising of the debt limit.[20]"

"In 2009, the Tea Party movement emerged with a focus on reducing government spending and regulation.[24][25] The Tea Party movement helped usher in a wave of new Republican office-holders in the 2010 mid-term elections[26] whose major planks during the campaign included cutting federal spending[27] and stopping any tax increases.[28] These new Republicans and the new Republican House majority greatly affected the 2011 debt ceiling political debate.[29]"
OutofDate1980 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:24 AM   #59 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
copestag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,296
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 236 Times in 186 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofDate1980 View Post
BS. Hey, there's this thing called the internet, so revisionist history won't work. The Republicans attempted to force a default with the debt ceiling.
thanks for upgrading from slight chance to absolutely ******ed......... youre halfway correct........ revisionist history wont work........... and thats why what he said is 100% accurate

they clearly defined the reason why they downgraded........ if anything it leaned more toward the fact that the democrats were playing hardball and the republicans were counter measuring......... democrats had the power.... republicans could do little more than abstain

but in the end as stated by previous posts........ the blame lies squarely on both parties......... the debt didnt happen over night (although despite budget gimmicks 1/4+ falls directly on the current administration)

both parties refused to budge on their principles........ you cant simply blame the minority for failing to roll over to the majority

I guess you could go back to your old standby.... Bush is responsible for the downgrade

blame blame blame........ exactly when do you expect anything to be your responsibility
copestag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:44 AM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
PH8AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 327
 
Device(s): Transform Ultra rooted running Ultrarom and BobzHome oc kernal.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 100
Thanked 70 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Paul Ryan has proven himself to be a Waffle Iron Politician. Seems with all his critiquing of Obama's policies and the stimulus bail outs he sure did not pass up a chance to get some of that money for his constituents .
Busted: Paul Ryan Asked For Stimulus Funds - YouTube

Then when he gets called on it he twists the truth and tries to blame his constituents.
PH8AL is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:03 PM   #61 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Ryan is elected to get money for his constituents. That's his job. Or at least part of it.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 02:50 PM   #62 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Ryan is elected to get money for his constituents. That's his job. Or at least part of it.
No, if he wanted to get money for his people he should have tried out for his state's Parliament. Federal representatives should concern themselves with federal things. The state's executive can pursue federal money if they wish.
Localism is a pile of shite. Sure, he voted for x piece of legislation that let banks run wild, and y piece that cut healthcare funding, but, he fixed the road!
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:26 PM   #63 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,568
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 261
Thanked 127 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH8AL View Post
Paul Ryan has proven himself to be a Waffle Iron Politician. Seems with all his critiquing of Obama's policies and the stimulus bail outs he sure did not pass up a chance to get some of that money for his constituents .
Busted: Paul Ryan Asked For Stimulus Funds - YouTube

Then when he gets called on it he twists the truth and tries to blame his constituents.
Look Ryan was practicing for his Lying Man Marathon and his constituents took over while he was out.
OutofDate1980 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 05:16 PM   #64 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElasticNinja View Post
No, if he wanted to get money for his people he should have tried out for his state's Parliament. Federal representatives should concern themselves with federal things. The state's executive can pursue federal money if they wish.
Localism is a pile of shite. Sure, he voted for x piece of legislation that let banks run wild, and y piece that cut healthcare funding, but, he fixed the road!
That's not how the system works in the US. Congressmen and Senators are elected to bring federal projects back to their state. The state legislature and the state governor have very little pull on federal funds. There are Senators who have been in Congress since time immemorial primarily because they have enough senority and influence to bring the big projects back home.

Recently a bomber wing that was stationed at a local air force base got moved elsewhere. There were all kinds of businesses in the area that served the people who worked on that wing so it had a negative impact on our economy. It was a huge campaign issue and one of the local Congressmen nearly lost his job over it. He probably would've if the other party could've found a decent candidate to run. People commented that if the previous guy (who had been there 30 years) had been in office that it never would've happened.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM   #65 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
That's not how the system works in the US. Congressmen and Senators are elected to bring federal projects back to their state. The state legislature and the state governor have very little pull on federal funds. There are Senators who have been in Congress since time immemorial primarily because they have enough senority and influence to bring the big projects back home.

Recently a bomber wing that was stationed at a local air force base got moved elsewhere. There were all kinds of businesses in the area that served the people who worked on that wing so it had a negative impact on our economy. It was a huge campaign issue and one of the local Congressmen nearly lost his job over it. He probably would've if the other party could've found a decent candidate to run. People commented that if the previous guy (who had been there 30 years) had been in office that it never would've happened.
The glorious founding father's did no design the system to function that way. It happens everywhere to different degrees but its not how it should be.
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:18 PM   #66 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

I'm not saying the founded the system to function that way. I'm saying that is how it actually functions. If there is a big government contract and it goes to the state next door instead of to your state there is a Senator or a Congressman who will be called on to the carpet by the voters for it. If Ryan is using his position to bring money to his constituents I'm not going to fault him for it. That's what they elected him to do. You may think that's not the way it's supposed to be and that's fine. But that's still the job his constituents elected him to do.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 03:45 AM   #67 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,568
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 261
Thanked 127 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
I'm not saying the founded the system to function that way. I'm saying that is how it actually functions. If there is a big government contract and it goes to the state next door instead of to your state there is a Senator or a Congressman who will be called on to the carpet by the voters for it. If Ryan is using his position to bring money to his constituents I'm not going to fault him for it. That's what they elected him to do. You may think that's not the way it's supposed to be and that's fine. But that's still the job his constituents elected him to do.
Lying Ryan is just your typical prostitute.

Paul Ryan: Campaign Finance/Money - Summary - Representative 2012 | OpenSecrets
OutofDate1980 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:25 AM   #68 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofDate1980 View Post
Oh Noes!!! Big businesses also support Obama.

Barack Obama: Campaign Finance/Money - Summary - Senator 2008 | OpenSecrets

Interesting to see Goldman Sachs listed in the top 5 for both Obama and Romney. Yet Romney is criticized for this and no one mentions it about Obama. Also, why are universities donating so heavily to a political campaign? What's up with that?
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 10:44 AM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
RazorSharp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,195
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,345
Thanked 1,959 Times in 807 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Also, why are universities donating so heavily to a political campaign? What's up with that?
Perhaps they wish to donate to a candidate who does not want to force them to strike evolution from all textbooks and teach creationism instead?
PH8AL likes this.
RazorSharp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 12:42 PM   #70 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Last I checked Harvard was a private university. Also, last I checked the feds don't have the authority to enforce a particular curriculum on any school. States do, but the feds don't.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 3rd, 2012, 02:57 PM   #71 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,568
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 261
Thanked 127 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Last I checked Harvard was a private university. Also, last I checked the feds don't have the authority to enforce a particular curriculum on any school. States do, but the feds don't.
Yet.
PH8AL likes this.
OutofDate1980 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 03:09 PM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ElasticNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cork City, IMF, EU
Posts: 4,488
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 811
Thanked 460 Times in 408 Posts
ciaranhurley0@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
But that's still the job his constituents elected him to do.
Then his constituents dont understand whats right and proper.
ElasticNinja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:28 PM   #73 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
A.Nonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,061
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 970 Times in 704 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElasticNinja View Post
Then his constituents dont understand whats right and proper.

Then every voter in America falls in that category as that is one of the reasons we vote for them.
A.Nonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #74 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,311
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,108
Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,097 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Last I checked Harvard was a private university. Also, last I checked the feds don't have the authority to enforce a particular curriculum on any school. States do, but the feds don't.
Well, Romney/Ryan want to make deep cuts in Pell grants and the student loan program, as well as cutting financial support to education in general, so its no wonder universities would support the other side. Self preservation.
__________________
"Machete don't text"
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
PH8AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 327
 
Device(s): Transform Ultra rooted running Ultrarom and BobzHome oc kernal.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 100
Thanked 70 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
That's not how the system works in the US. Congressmen and Senators are elected to bring federal projects back to their state. The state legislature and the state governor have very little pull on federal funds. There are Senators who have been in Congress since time immemorial primarily because they have enough senority and influence to bring the big projects back home.

Recently a bomber wing that was stationed at a local air force base got moved elsewhere. There were all kinds of businesses in the area that served the people who worked on that wing so it had a negative impact on our economy. It was a huge campaign issue and one of the local Congressmen nearly lost his job over it. He probably would've if the other party could've found a decent candidate to run. People commented that if the previous guy (who had been there 30 years) had been in office that it never would've happened.
Not how it was ever supposed to work. That is the system under Federalism and is a money grubbing scam.

Also He didn't have to touch that money. State of South Carolina lost a lot of Fed funding for refusing the money Obama said they had to take. Right or wrong you have to give them a lot more credit than Ryan for standing their ground.
PH8AL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.