Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Politics and Current Affairs All things political.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
burgertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): HTC Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 260 Times in 126 Posts
Default Arizona immigration law

Wow. This should be fun:

Arizona Immigration Law: Protestors of Bill Urge Boycott of State - ABC News

I think Public Enemy called this years ago during the MLK holiday silliness the state officials were trying to pull...

YouTube - public enemy - by the time i get to arizona - Apocalypse 91.

burgertime is offline  
sponsored links
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Destroying Balls Everyday
 
Vihzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manhattan, NY
Posts: 5,369
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 190
Thanked 1,061 Times in 673 Posts
Default

Bill = no good. K thread done. :P
Vihzel is offline  
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid 2 R2D2 edition, Motorola Xoom with over 100 RELEVANT, working apps added (NE2 2/17/20
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 116 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Should we also plan the death of the governer as they suggest?
3devious is offline  
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
soulfetcher13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: tennessee
Posts: 229
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Default

The Arizona immigration law is a wonderful thing and i hope to see many more states including mine institute more just like it.
__________________
It is better to be silent and thought a fool than speak up and remove all doubt.

illegitimi non carborundum
soulfetcher13 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soulfetcher13 For This Useful Post:
GixxerMan51 (May 5th, 2010), IOWA (May 4th, 2010), teddyearp (May 19th, 2010)
Old April 30th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 67
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx (former) Nexus Bionic iphone Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfetcher13 View Post
The Arizona immigration law is a wonderful thing and i hope to see many more states including mine institute more just like it.
Amen. Why is it illegal, yet nothing is done about it. If I go take the money out of someones pocket who does not want me too (like me the tax payer) then I would go to jail.
Mikerosoftpro is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikerosoftpro For This Useful Post:
IOWA (May 4th, 2010)
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 454
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Default

I fully support this law and am proud of our governor. Let's hope it truly is bullet proof enough to stand up to the frivolous lawsuits awaiting.
Rota is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rota For This Useful Post:
IOWA (May 4th, 2010), soulfetcher13 (May 3rd, 2010)
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
polkadots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 436
 
Device(s): EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 81
Thanked 189 Times in 96 Posts
Default

The law is a damn disgrace to our great nation. I'm appalled at something like this. Immigration law needs reform, and something must be done with respect to illegal immigrants - but putting a law on the books that more or less gives the thumbs-up to racial profiling is abhorrent.
__________________
Cheers,
Aubrey
polkadots is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 454
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadots View Post
The law is a damn disgrace to our great nation. I'm appalled at something like this. Immigration law needs reform, and something must be done with respect to illegal immigrants - but putting a law on the books that more or less gives the thumbs-up to racial profiling is abhorrent.
Read the law. It specifically states that race cannot be a factor to raise suspicion that someone is an illegal immigrant. By reform do you mean to just suddenly legalize all the criminals that are here right now? Then they'll start bringing their family over, and become even more of a drain on our economy than they already are.

These people are not immigrants, they are criminals. Immigrants come here legally. Tell you what, judging by your location and whackjob political views, I'm going to saw you're from Kalifornia. How about you take all of our illegals? It's practically a haven for them over in that backwards ******-up state.

I'm sure you also haven't heard that these morons think that they have some sort of rights, and now that we want to enforce the federal law at a state level, they're threatening to come kill Americans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDlutO0KK7g&feature=player_embedded

Furthermore, have you read the story about the Pinal County sheriff that was shot repeatedly by a group of illegals this weekend while he was filling in for someone on his day off? Of course not, because you're still using rhetoric like "racial profiling".

http://www.nationalterroralert.com/updates/2010/04/30/arizona-sheriffs-deputy-shot-suspects-reportedly-shoot-at-helicopter/

People who are against this law are saying that murder, vandalism, burglary, tax evasion, and identity theft is more justifiable than racism.
Rota is offline  
Last edited by Rota; May 3rd, 2010 at 01:54 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rota For This Useful Post:
2003vstrom (May 3rd, 2010), eriku16 (May 3rd, 2010), IOWA (May 4th, 2010), URNotEntitled (May 3rd, 2010)
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nexusville
Posts: 1,151
 
Device(s): Gnex, N5,N7
Carrier: AIO

Thanks: 202
Thanked 134 Times in 91 Posts
Default

I suppose every one is gonna hate me now but statistically...racial profiling works. I'm just saying is all.

Even though the bill specifically states that race cannot play a role it's conceivable that while a German illegal immigrant is just as illegal as the Mexican one, it's the Mexican illegals that are causing the problems and will therefore take the brunt of this states frustrations. In the end Arizona is tired of having their issues placed on the back burner and this will cause action one way or another. I support the bill.

On a side note, has anyone else notice the individual states becoming more and more proactive and in a way almost defiant to the federal government?
Crude is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hakr100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rota View Post
Read the law. It specifically states that race cannot be a factor to raise suspicion that someone is an illegal immigrant.
Well, that is convincing.
hakr100 is offline  
sponsored links
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
soulfetcher13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: tennessee
Posts: 229
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Left coast is right. Only a liberal could come up with something as silly as that. All things being equal, you and all of you who try to make this argument are either disingenuous it ignorant, or both. The arizona law is almost a carbon copy, at the state level, of the federal law which states, IF YOU ARE HERE ILLEGALLY IT IS A FREAKIN CRIME. Now, not only van they prosecute for a federal crime, but also a state crime. Not to mention, the fact of the matter is we can no longer afford them. They are here because our government has made is so appealing with all the entitlement programs we have who wouldn't come here for free money, free health care and you dont even have to show i.d. People like you also fell for socialized medicine, thinking how wonderful, healthcare go everyone at government expense. Guess what, that meas my expense too, probably not yours though, too busy getting government checks while drawing pictures of clouds.

This Arizona law is i hope but the first of 49 more like it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadots View Post
The law is a damn disgrace to our great nation. I'm appalled at something like this. Immigration law needs reform, and something must be done with respect to illegal immigrants - but putting a law on the books that more or less gives the thumbs-up to racial profiling is abhorrent.
soulfetcher13 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to soulfetcher13 For This Useful Post:
URNotEntitled (May 3rd, 2010)
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 454
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
Well, that is convincing.
I don't know what else you need. It's written in black and white in the bill. Will it happen? Most likely. Is the bill more likely to pass legal challenges? Yes. The entire Arizona police force is being retrained over exactly how they can implement this new law and keep within its legal bounds.
Rota is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

So are all the supporters of this law going to be so supportive when the police start asking American citizens for proof that they are American citizens? Believe me, I get that illegal is illegal, but I'm not sure that questioning Americans about their citizenship is the way to go about solving the problem.
Hangdog42 is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Bnice
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadots View Post
The law is a damn disgrace to our great nation. I'm appalled at something like this. Immigration law needs reform, and something must be done with respect to illegal immigrants - but putting a law on the books that more or less gives the thumbs-up to racial profiling is abhorrent.
Amen, can't believe and human being can see this as a good thing,these family have children on the front line as we speak serving and dieing for this country.they do the jobs most blacks and whites will not do and the last time i check all race robbed,steal and kill.
 
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Imagine my surprise (?) when I joined the androidforums to ask about the HTC Incredible I'm considering only to see "Arizona immigration law" at the top of the threads.

It is unfortunate that so many see this a some new set of rules against immigration, when all the bill does is take what's currently a violation of federal law and make it a state crime (misdemeanor) as well. This will allow AZ law enforcement agencies to detain illegal aliens instead of simply forwarding a name to ICE agents. If US ICE were staffed properly individual states wouldn't have to resort to this.

As an American citizen, I am all for this law. As an AZ taxpayer, I worry that this state can ill-afford the costs of detaining the illegal alien population over time. Add to that the increasing number of windbags calling for a boycott of Arizona and I feel that this passing of this bill will hurt us more in the pocket than it will ever benefit us.

That said, someone has to take a stand, and I'm glad AZ was the first to do so. Now if only we could our elected officials to balance a budget instead of passing that job off to the voters...
URNotEntitled is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42 View Post
So are all the supporters of this law going to be so supportive when the police start asking American citizens for proof that they are American citizens? Believe me, I get that illegal is illegal, but I'm not sure that questioning Americans about their citizenship is the way to go about solving the problem.
If the police ask for ID, yes, I will provide it. Not that big a deal.
URNotEntitled is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnice View Post
...these family have children on the front line as we speak serving and dieing for this country...
if you're trying to imply that illegal aliens are serving in the US military, then that's just more proof that our current federal system simply doesn't work.

If, on the other hand, you're use of the word "dieing" (dictionary.com - see definition 2) means that they're in the factories and machine shops using tools cut, carve, drill, etc. - well in that case I still think this proves that there's an illegal alien taking the job some American citizen should have.
URNotEntitled is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid 2 R2D2 edition, Motorola Xoom with over 100 RELEVANT, working apps added (NE2 2/17/20
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 116 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by URNotEntitled View Post
If the police ask for ID, yes, I will provide it. Not that big a deal.
My ID does not say anything about my citizenship. It says that I am legally able to operate a motorvehicle (the DMV still hasn't realized its mistake.) It doesn't say that I am an immigrant (I just look hispanic.)

My work ID has my name and a really bad picture of me on it. That also doesn't say that I am a citizen here. The only ways that I have to prove my citizenship are my social security card (that you aren't supposed to carry around,) my passport (the photo in that is hideous and I am NOT carrying that anywhere. Hell, I might not travel internationally until I can get a new one,) or my birth certificate. I don't carry any of those with me.

If someone feels the need to verify it, they can come home with me and look, but I am not carrying it around.

That being said, I don't really care about the law. If I get pulled over in AZ, I'll give them directions to my house and they can look it up. I am not going to show them that I grew up in Flint, MI by getting all salty about it if they ask about my citizenship. I'll just tell them where they can verify it. I am sure they will be more interested in asking the DMV why I was deemed fit to drive.
3devious is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 3devious For This Useful Post:
twospirits (May 19th, 2010)
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid 2 R2D2 edition, Motorola Xoom with over 100 RELEVANT, working apps added (NE2 2/17/20
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 116 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by URNotEntitled View Post
If, on the other hand, you're use of the word "dieing" (dictionary.com - see definition 2) means that they're in the factories and machine shops using tools cut, carve, drill, etc. - well in that case I still think this proves that there's an illegal alien taking the job some American citizen should have.
C'mon man. It is bad enough that it looks like you created that account just to wiegh in on an issue on behalf of an "alt" or something, but don't nitpick at stuff like that when it draws attention away from the core issue and make you look like you just want to attack people.
3devious is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 3devious For This Useful Post:
twospirits (May 19th, 2010)
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hakr100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rota View Post
I don't know what else you need. It's written in black and white in the bill. Will it happen? Most likely. Is the bill more likely to pass legal challenges? Yes. The entire Arizona police force is being retrained over exactly how they can implement this new law and keep within its legal bounds.
The law you so admire will be tossed out by the Supremes, even the current Supremes, on any of several grounds. Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see what sort of "hit" the Arizona economy takes because of this racially motivated law.
hakr100 is offline  
sponsored links
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid 2 R2D2 edition, Motorola Xoom with over 100 RELEVANT, working apps added (NE2 2/17/20
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 116 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see what sort of "hit" the Arizona economy takes because of this racially motivated law.
It might also be interesting to know if the tourism/allstar game/extremist inspired boycotting revenue loss hits the state harder than the money they could save if the targeted individuals leave for areas that allow those people to be here illegally.
3devious is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by URNotEntitled View Post
If the police ask for ID, yes, I will provide it. Not that big a deal.

ID and citizenship papers are two different things. American citizens have never had to carry any sort of proof of citizenship, ever. Now they are, at least in AZ. To be honest, I find it rather sad that so many Americans are so willing to give up their basic rights.
Hangdog42 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hangdog42 For This Useful Post:
jisoo411 (May 22nd, 2010), twospirits (May 19th, 2010)
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:52 AM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 95
 
Device(s): Motorola DROID
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Yes the Arizona economy will take a hit. Yes the law will be challenged in many courts. Yes I live in Arizona and support the bill. Why, for two main reasons. First this will cause the illegals in Arizona to start moving in large numbers to other close by states and that state's economy will begin to go in the tank providing services for the people that they haven't contributed to the tax base to pay for. Secondly, by these Arizona border states talking about and passing laws for their states will finally cause the US Govenrnment to provide a workable and fair national plan for immigration.

Look, I'm white, born in NC and will probably be construed as a RED NECk. Fine, if that's what you want to call me but I just can't afford any more taxes to pay for these people and I'm truly ashamed for the debt we are leaving to our children and their children. We are the greatest country in the world. The constitution provides that each and every citizen has the right to pursue their goals. That goal is not guaranteed but simply the opportunity to pursue. I support the bill until something better is agreed on at the national level.
aximtreo is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nexusville
Posts: 1,151
 
Device(s): Gnex, N5,N7
Carrier: AIO

Thanks: 202
Thanked 134 Times in 91 Posts
Default

How is Arizona's economy going to take a hit? Boycotts?
Crude is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 454
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42 View Post
ID and citizenship papers are two different things. American citizens have never had to carry any sort of proof of citizenship, ever. Now they are, at least in AZ. To be honest, I find it rather sad that so many Americans are so willing to give up their basic rights.
Under this law, a valid driver's license is sufficient to show you're a legal citizen.

I'm incredibly proud of our state this year. Even though a ton of morons oppose this bill, they're helping spread the word that these laws need to be enforced. Good job guys.

I think it would be fair for us to give all our illegals to the people against this bill, then watch as their economy comes crashing down and crime rate grows immensely. Maybe then they would see why we need this bill.
Rota is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 95
 
Device(s): Motorola DROID
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default AZ Economy taking a hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude View Post
How is Arizona's economy going to take a hit? Boycotts?

By that comment, I mean the cancellation of large meetings and conventions; some of which have already done so. I hope that there are other groups and conventions that realize that this is not just Arizona's problem but all of Americas problem.

Just this morning the MLB Union voted to condemn the law. Will this mean loosing the 2011 All Star Game; I hope not.
aximtreo is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 404
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Default

I for one think this law is great and hope CA passes it as well, and I am Hispanic! I dont know why Mexicans are the only people that feel entitled to just come and live here illegally as if its their right. People from the UK and other parts of the world accept the fact they cant just come and live here cause their family does or cause they feel like it. Just as we cant go move to another country and live there cause we feel like it. You need to go thru the legal process of becoming a citizen, and its MUCH easier to do that here then it is in other countries. The opponents of this law are also overreacting by a bit. Do they think police are just going to be walking around asking anyone who looks Hispanic for immigration papers? Of course not.
psychotron is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid 2 R2D2 edition, Motorola Xoom with over 100 RELEVANT, working apps added (NE2 2/17/20
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 116 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotron View Post
I dont know why Mexicans are the only people that feel entitled to just come and live here illegally as if its their right. People from the UK and other parts of the world accept the fact they cant just come and live here cause their family does or cause they feel like it.
That is not true. We even had to deport (supposedly) Obama's sister around xmas time. Mexicans and other hispanic folks aren't the only ones who just squat here illegally. Even Canada has a problem. They are a little more adamant about it because of their socialized medicine, but they will apologize and then put you on a plane without shedding a tear.
3devious is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hakr100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42 View Post
ID and citizenship papers are two different things. American citizens have never had to carry any sort of proof of citizenship, ever. Now they are, at least in AZ. To be honest, I find it rather sad that so many Americans are so willing to give up their basic rights.

I'd love to be arrested in Arizona for not carrying an ID satisfactory to the state's Gestapo. So would my lawyer. We could both retire on the judgment.
hakr100 is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hakr100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude View Post
How is Arizona's economy going to take a hit? Boycotts?
Boycotts, cancellation of large meetings, re-routing of vacation travel, cancellation of the purchase of products and services.
hakr100 is offline  
sponsored links
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:17 PM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
stevenw00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 60
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
I'd love to be arrested in Arizona for not carrying an ID satisfactory to the state's Gestapo. So would my lawyer. We could both retire on the judgment.
Detaining you for breaking the law, and you think you would win that lawsuit?
Just because you don't live there doesn't mean their laws don't apply to you. Speed in any state and they can give you a ticket whether you live there or not.
stevenw00 is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:24 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 454
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
I'd love to be arrested in Arizona for not carrying an ID satisfactory to the state's Gestapo. So would my lawyer. We could both retire on the judgment.
Sure you would buddy. Why not just stay in California with all your liberal buddies and illegal immigrants. I'm sure you'll be getting a wave of them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
Boycotts, cancellation of large meetings, re-routing of vacation travel, cancellation of the purchase of products and services.
What the media isn't telling you is that the cancellation fees of many of these meetings actually is more than what it cost to get the reservations in the first place. One example was a group of immigration lawyers paid $100,000 to rent a resort for a convention. When they canceled, they had to pay $150,000 in cancellation fees. Arizona wins.
Rota is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:16 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hakr100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenw00 View Post
Detaining you for breaking the law, and you think you would win that lawsuit?
Just because you don't live there doesn't mean their laws don't apply to you. Speed in any state and they can give you a ticket whether you live there or not.

Sorry, bub, but there's no federal law that requires me to have on my person while walking down the street ID acceptable to the Arizona gestapo. Arizona is intruding into areas that are the purview of the federal government. Now, since I am white, I wouldn't be able to claim skin color profiling, and it isn't likely I'd be stopped...but someone with a darker complexion could and should claim racial profiling.

I see a lot of test cases coming your way...hundreds, if not thousands of them.
hakr100 is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
burgertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): HTC Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 260 Times in 126 Posts
Default

lolz...this is typical ultra right wing hypocrisy. If this were a law that had to do with guns and targeted mainly white Americans it would be WWIII but because it's brown people it's simply a law that needs to be done!

Now don't get me wrong. We have some of the most lax immigration enforcement in the world. America is one of the easiest places to become a legal citizen with pretty much open doors. I get the frustration people have. However how many people can honestly say their family had this country had those laws in the early 19th late 18th century would be a legal citizen? I can almost bet if you're Irish, Italian or Jewish you wouldn't be in this country.

I demand that Native Americans detain and stop white people to make sure their parents showed them the proper documentation to land on American soil.
burgertime is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hakr100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rota View Post
Sure you would buddy. Why not just stay in California with all your liberal buddies and illegal immigrants. I'm sure you'll be getting a wave of them soon.
This is still the United States, and as a traveler, there's no federal law that requires me to carry "Arizona ID" while walking down the streets of Phoenix or Milwaukee or anywhere else.

It's been a while, but demonstrating for my civil rights/liberties is something I've done before. When a state or the federal government tries to bust civil liberties guaranteed us, peaceful protest is legitimate and necessary.

On this, there are plenty of liberals and non-liberals who agree.
hakr100 is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 122
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

If your not a citizen or on a visa then you do not need to be here sucking up tax payer resources. we do not need to add to that. I applaud the actions of the state. i am covered in tattoo's from the military. I get profiled all the time. Oh well.
ejpyle is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
burgertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): HTC Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 260 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejpyle View Post
If your not a citizen or on a visa then you do not need to be here sucking up tax payer resources. we do not need to add to that. I applaud the actions of the state. i am covered in tattoo's from the military. I get profiled all the time. Oh well.
Yep they never get jobs under the table, buy cars, pay for rent on apartments and buy everything else you need to live in this country. Oh that's right, they do!
burgertime is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #38 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

e’ve never understood two things about all those on the Left who enjoy taking to the streets screaming and yelling for amnesty and open borders:

(1) Why they think waving the Mexican flag at these events helps their cause

(2) Why they have such a problem with the enforcement of existing law

In Chicago, we need to carry an ID with us at all times, because at least three or four times a day we are asked to show it.

80% of the time we use a credit card here in Chicago, the clerk at the register asks to see an ID.

IDs are required to get into any bar or club, and even some restaurants after a certain time of night.

None of us drive on a regular basis, but if we did, we’d be required to have that ID with us whenever operating a vehicle.

If we didn’t have an ID on us, we wouldn’t be able to do things like pick up packages at the mailbox store, cash checks at the bank, sign up for a gym membership, or do any of the other random things we do frequently here in Boystown.

So, eliminating the larger issue of why having no borders at all is a civilization-killing, culturally-suicidal idea, we just can’t understand the argument made by the Left that it’s improper to require illegal aliens to hold identification documents…because we, American citizens, are required to show such documents multiple times a day.

Have you ever understood this?

As we watch the Left screech and wail over Arizona being the first state to grow a pair and start cracking down on illegal aliens, we anecdotally see support for the Left crumbling the longer unemployment stays so high. Here’s what we’re seeing in Chicago, in just the food & beverage and private event industry.

We know of at least three guys who can’t find work as cater-waiters, like they usually do, in Chicago because staffing companies have too many illegal Mexican workers employed. Instead of paying an American citizen $12-15 an hour for a job, the staffing companies pay the Mexicans $5 an hour, cash.

You’d be surprised who uses these staffing companies. It’s not just for private events.

The City Club, Union League Club, and all the other big, fancy, private clubs in Chicago use staffing companies to lessen their payroll costs. Hotels do this too. Instead of hiring staff outright, these companies sign a contract with a staffing agency for x-number of warm bodies for events. The City Club or big hotel never knows these people’s names, so they never have any documents on them in their HR files. Instead, they just do a pay-out to the staffing agencies for 50 workers at x-dollar and hour on a certain day, and then the staffing agency distributes that money to its own workers, however it sees fit.

The bulk of the staffing agency’s employees are illegal Mexican workers, serving banquets, doing janitorial and housekeeping work, toiling as gardeners and other laborers, etc.

So, the racquet that exists keeps American citizens unemployed, while companies save money on staffing costs by using these third party staffing agencies to bring illegal workers into the employment pool — off the company’s books.

Just about every restaurant, hotel, and bar in the city uses illegal workers in this way, since they work for essentially slave wages — at least half what they should be getting in the job market if the company was forced to pay the standard going rate.

This practice will only INCREASE if Obamacare’s taxes and penalties become a reality.

Just think about what Obamacare is going to do to the unemployment numbers, when you realize companies forever look for creative, if not outright illegal, ways to lower their biggest expenses: payroll.

If a company wants to avoid paying health insurance costs for its employees, it will just fire the staff it has and instead contract with a staffing agency to provide the workers it needs, at a lower cost (and no insurance requirement).

Democrats are fools because they didn’t fully think out Obamacare before ramming it through — but this bill is going to put millions of people out of work in 2011, if Republicans don’t succeed in taking back Congress and killing it before then.

It’s becoming increasingly obvious the Left’s goal with illegal immigration is to perpetuate a slave class of undocumented, uneducated, hopeless and helpless individuals to serve as the lowest rung in society, working for as little money as possible so that the Liberals in their ivory towers can live the high life — and have their little pets to use for their own array of purposes.

But, we still can’t understand how the Left can continuously claim that asking these illegals for their identification is such a crime, when American citizens are asked for their identification multiple times a day.

Is this more Liberal irrationalism, where the Left screams and shouts about anything when someone gets too close to calling them out on one of their crazy schemes?

Or, are we missing something about the heinous burden of showing an ID when asked in public that we’ve just never been apprised of?

I applaud this.
__________________
Useful links: The Rules | The Team | FAQ | Unanswered Threads |
IOWA is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #39 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude View Post
I suppose every one is gonna hate me now but statistically...racial profiling works. I'm just saying is all.

Even though the bill specifically states that race cannot play a role it's conceivable that while a German illegal immigrant is just as illegal as the Mexican one, it's the Mexican illegals that are causing the problems and will therefore take the brunt of this states frustrations. In the end Arizona is tired of having their issues placed on the back burner and this will cause action one way or another. I support the bill.

On a side note, has anyone else notice the individual states becoming more and more proactive and in a way almost defiant to the federal government?
I will agree with this, to a small point. Although I can't discuss it, I got banned for "racism" for posting a statistical fact, so I'm going to shy away from that altogether.

What does work, is profiling in general. You need to take into account that persons actions, dress choice, company he keeps, and where he/she is from among other things. Profiling DOES work. In fact, FBI/CIA/Insert agency here uses professional profilers to ID serial killers etc.
IOWA is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
burgertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): HTC Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 260 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
e’ve never understood two things about all those on the Left who enjoy taking to the streets screaming and yelling for amnesty and open borders:

(1) Why they think waving the Mexican flag at these events helps their cause
Why should it hurt their cause? They are proud of their country. Kind of like when the Irish or Italians get together they wave their flags.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
(2) Why they have such a problem with the enforcement of existing law

In Chicago, we need to carry an ID with us at all times, because at least three or four times a day we are asked to show it.

80% of the time we use a credit card here in Chicago, the clerk at the register asks to see an ID.

IDs are required to get into any bar or club, and even some restaurants after a certain time of night.

None of us drive on a regular basis, but if we did, we’d be required to have that ID with us whenever operating a vehicle.

If we didn’t have an ID on us, we wouldn’t be able to do things like pick up packages at the mailbox store, cash checks at the bank, sign up for a gym membership, or do any of the other random things we do frequently here in Boystown.

So, eliminating the larger issue of why having no borders at all is a civilization-killing, culturally-suicidal idea, we just can’t understand the argument made by the Left that it’s improper to require illegal aliens to hold identification documents…because we, American citizens, are required to show such documents multiple times a day.


Have you ever understood this?
Wow, how exactly does your brain work? Highlighted in red is the section of your argument that has ZERO relevance to this discussion. Someone pulled over doesn't just have to show their ID (which by the way illegal immigrants can easily get). They have to carry immigration papers on them at all times. WHICH MEANS IF THEY ARE HERE LEGALLY AS DUAL CITIZENS THEY CAN STILL BE FINED OR IMPRISONED FOR NOT CARRYING THEIR PAPERS. So your argument is moot. So imagine if YOU got pulled over and a police officer was claiming you were German and you had to show your Social Security card and Birth Certificate. Of course you probably don't carry those around. So now your hauled off to jail under suspicion of not being a citizen. If that happened you would be all over the fact that it wasn't fair and it was illegal since you have "rights" in this country.

That last little part. WTF are you talking about?? Our civilization and cultural identity are founded on open borders. Did you forget what it says on the Statue of Liberty?


"Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
' With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"


Ummm...oh yea give us everyone but those dirty Mexicans please.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
As we watch the Left screech and wail over Arizona being the first state to grow a pair and start cracking down on illegal aliens, we anecdotally see support for the Left crumbling the longer unemployment stays so high. Here’s what we’re seeing in Chicago, in just the food & beverage and private event industry.

We know of at least three guys who can’t find work as cater-waiters, like they usually do, in Chicago because staffing companies have too many illegal Mexican workers employed. Instead of paying an American citizen $12-15 an hour for a job, the staffing companies pay the Mexicans $5 an hour, cash.

You’d be surprised who uses these staffing companies. It’s not just for private events.

The City Club, Union League Club, and all the other big, fancy, private clubs in Chicago use staffing companies to lessen their payroll costs. Hotels do this too. Instead of hiring staff outright, these companies sign a contract with a staffing agency for x-number of warm bodies for events. The City Club or big hotel never knows these people’s names, so they never have any documents on them in their HR files. Instead, they just do a pay-out to the staffing agencies for 50 workers at x-dollar and hour on a certain day, and then the staffing agency distributes that money to its own workers, however it sees fit.

The bulk of the staffing agency’s employees are illegal Mexican workers, serving banquets, doing janitorial and housekeeping work, toiling as gardeners and other laborers, etc.

So, the racquet that exists keeps American citizens unemployed, while companies save money on staffing costs by using these third party staffing agencies to bring illegal workers into the employment pool — off the company’s books.

Just about every restaurant, hotel, and bar in the city uses illegal workers in this way, since they work for essentially slave wages — at least half what they should be getting in the job market if the company was forced to pay the standard going rate.
I love this, why don't you get on the f'ing phone and call INS on their asses if you have all this proof that they are hiring illegal immigrants. Also call the IRS because I'm sure they would be very interested in the fact that these companies are dodging taxes by hiring illegals. Come on Mr. Big American Hero do something for us instead of just standing on the sidelines bitching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post

This practice will only INCREASE if Obamacare’s taxes and penalties become a reality.

Just think about what Obamacare is going to do to the unemployment numbers, when you realize companies forever look for creative, if not outright illegal, ways to lower their biggest expenses: payroll.

If a company wants to avoid paying health insurance costs for its employees, it will just fire the staff it has and instead contract with a staffing agency to provide the workers it needs, at a lower cost (and no insurance requirement).

Democrats are fools because they didn’t fully think out Obamacare before ramming it through — but this bill is going to put millions of people out of work in 2011, if Republicans don’t succeed in taking back Congress and killing it before then.
Logical Fallacy, this is a red herring. It has NOTHING to do with the argument at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
It’s becoming increasingly obvious the Left’s goal with illegal immigration is to perpetuate a slave class of undocumented, uneducated, hopeless and helpless individuals to serve as the lowest rung in society, working for as little money as possible so that the Liberals in their ivory towers can live the high life — and have their little pets to use for their own array of purposes.
Yes it's so obvious. I'll bet you also think that the left is full of reptilian shape shifters who secretly caused 9/11 to bring all of this on. Oh and don't forget the trilateral commission.



Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
But, we still can’t understand how the Left can continuously claim that asking these illegals for their identification is such a crime, when American citizens are asked for their identification multiple times a day.

Is this more Liberal irrationalism, where the Left screams and shouts about anything when someone gets too close to calling them out on one of their crazy schemes?

Or, are we missing something about the heinous burden of showing an ID when asked in public that we’ve just never been apprised of?

I applaud this.
You are so stupid, you must be a troll.
burgertime is offline  
sponsored links
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Arizona is gonna be screwed if this law doesn't get over turned. So far they stand to lose a ton of money on boycots and now many high rank law enforcement officials are saying they will not enforce they law...good thing they included the ability to sue them for not doing a good enough job enforcing it. LOL.

I leave out my opinion on the constitutionality of this law, but this is setting a bad precident IMO.
burton71 is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid 2 R2D2 edition, Motorola Xoom with over 100 RELEVANT, working apps added (NE2 2/17/20
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 116 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burton71 View Post
now many high rank law enforcement officials are saying they will not enforce they law.
Well, most high ranking law enforcement officials aren't the people who actually do the work, so that probably has little effect on anything. In the end, they set policies and if subordinate officers respect them, they'll obey them, or maybe not.

They might not have anyone to arrest as in Maryland, the police are forbidden from asking about a suspect's citizenship. They will probably move there where it is easier to get over.
3devious is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hakr100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3devious View Post
Well, most high ranking law enforcement officials aren't the people who actually do the work, so that probably has little effect on anything. In the end, they set policies and if subordinate officers respect them, they'll obey them, or maybe not.

They might not have anyone to arrest as in Maryland, the police are forbidden from asking about a suspect's citizenship. They will probably move there where it is easier to get over.
I live in southern Maryland. When I stop in the AM at a convenience store for my coffee, I see lots of Latinos who are also on their way to work doing the same thing. There are also plenty of county and state cops doing the same thing. There are no confrontations. My guess is that some percentage of the Latinos are "illegals," and if they are working without their employers taking and forwarding deductions, well, the employer should be arrested, because the workers are only trying to feed themselves and their families, doing jobs most "Americans" would not take under any circumstances. Every ethnic group has its bad apples, but the Latinos I encounter here are hard-working and family-oriented. If they are here illegally, then it is the fault of the U.S. government for not defending our national borders.
hakr100 is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid 2 R2D2 edition, Motorola Xoom with over 100 RELEVANT, working apps added (NE2 2/17/20
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 116 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
I live in southern Maryland. When I stop in the AM at a convenience store for my coffee, I see lots of Latinos who are also on their way to work doing the same thing. There are also plenty of county and state cops doing the same thing. There are no confrontations. My guess is that some percentage of the Latinos are "illegals," and if they are working without their employers taking and forwarding deductions, well, the employer should be arrested, because the workers are only trying to feed themselves and their families, doing jobs most "Americans" would not take under any circumstances. Every ethnic group has its bad apples, but the Latinos I encounter here are hard-working and family-oriented. If they are here illegally, then it is the fault of the U.S. government for not defending our national borders.
It really isn't about the latinos. You are right, the latino culture promotes the qualities you enjoy from the good folks you encounter. The immigration problem in our area *waves at you from ~30 miles west* is not just from hispanics as a lot of people expect, but there are illegal aliens from everywhere out here.

We need to reform our immigration laws big time. We don't have a lot of requirements for citizenship, but we demand something that a lot of people are short on and that is patience. We need to light a fire under someone's ass and get these applications processed faster because it is BS right now.

The fact that the process is flawed does not make it acceptable for people to break the law. Canada would deny me citizenship for a total bullshit reason, but it is not OK for me to go there and quat even if I am working to feed my family. Screw that. Everyone has a "good reason" that the law doesn't apply to them. Yes, we are unique little snowflakes, but we do have to progress as a society, check the diva-ness at the door.

I'd submit to everyone here that most of the illegal immigrants in this country are only guilty of breaking the immigration laws. Some of it leads to fraud based around the first crime, but it stems from that. It isn't about being brown or any of that. It's about damaging an unsustainable system for your own benefit.

The fact that people are willing to turn a blind eye to all of that does not make it OK either, I support punishing both parties.
3devious is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid 2 R2D2 edition, Motorola Xoom with over 100 RELEVANT, working apps added (NE2 2/17/20
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 116 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Oh, and the cops and latinos at the coffee shop all trying to stomach overpriced burnt coffee in relative harmony is what you would expect. I guess the part I should have mentioned was that the MD cops are not allowed to ask about the citizenship status of suspects was that they had already done something wrong.

So, if you're a Maryland cop and you catch a bunch of people boosting a stereo off of someone's car and everyone happens to be latino and claims not so speak any english, you are still not allowed to inquire if they are in the country illegally. So basically, if you are an illegal alien and want to steal crap or work hard to feed your family, there are states in this country who make it their policy not to give you a hard time (about that) and deport you. Most places are still going to smack you for stealing, but the other stuff not so much.
3devious is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
JeeperDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 55
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default

On a partly related WTF aspect of this thread...

Why does the Google "US Holidays" Calendar have "Cinco de Mayo" on it tomorrow???? I don't see Canada's July 1 'Canada Day' there.

Also, it isn't 'Racial Profiling' when the 2010 Census and the Federal Gov does not consider Hispanic as a race, but an ethnic group, like the Italians.
JeeperDon is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3devious View Post
In the end, they set policies and if subordinate officers respect them, they'll obey them, or maybe not.
Exactly they are telling the LEOs they are in charge of not to enforce this law.
burton71 is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
On a partly related WTF aspect of this thread...

Why does the Google "US Holidays" Calendar have "Cinco de Mayo" on it tomorrow???? I don't see Canada's July 1 'Canada Day' there.
Because Google is a private company and can do what they want with their calander. Just like they get to pick which people/events they change their logo for.
burton71 is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid 2 R2D2 edition, Motorola Xoom with over 100 RELEVANT, working apps added (NE2 2/17/20
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 116 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burton71 View Post
Exactly they are telling the LEOs they are in charge of not to enforce this law.
If your superior tells you to do something that is illegal, you are within your rights to ignore them. This is the case in private business, law enforcement, and the military. This is why if you are caught "just following orders," you are still prosecuted.
3devious is offline  
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid 2 R2D2 edition, Motorola Xoom with over 100 RELEVANT, working apps added (NE2 2/17/20
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 116 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
On a partly related WTF aspect of this thread...

Why does the Google "US Holidays" Calendar have "Cinco de Mayo" on it tomorrow???? I don't see Canada's July 1 'Canada Day' there.
It may be because there is the option to subscribe to the Canadian Holiday calendar. Cinco de Mayo is an excuse to party here, just like Mardi Gras. If Canada Day becomes a popular reason to get drunk in this country, you can bet it will be on every calendar printed from now on.
3devious is offline  
Closed Thread


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.