Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Politics and Current Affairs All things political.

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default Tired of hearing what I need to do.

I'm sure many of you out there heard the millions of people recently explain to us "why" we needed to "save" a bunch of crap.

When the auto industry failed hard,... we had to "bail them out" because "we needed them.

When the banks failed "we needed to bail them out" and it was "for our own good"

Obama gets in office, and nothing good has happened yet in terms of economics.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe one thing in life perhaps more so than any other. I owe absolutely no one in the world anything, and conversely no one in the world owes me anything. The one exception to this is parents. I believe if you have a child, it is your responsibility to care for it, you owe your children because you brought them into existence and your parents owe you to care for you.

I will say right now that, the current state of the economy is horribly out of line and it is not getting any better. I highly suggest that we all forget this idea that we owe people money. I have never made a contractual obligation with a poor person that they suddenly "deserve" my money just because I have it, and they do not. I have never made a contractual obligation with a rich person that I suddenly am owed money because I lack it and they have it.

The only time you owe anyone anything is when you make a contractual obligation for goods or services in return for payment of some sort. I do not owe anyone without health care just because I have it and they do not. If we were to argue "haves" owe the "have nots" then on what principal are we arguing this?

Are we to argue this on religious grounds? Do I owe the poor because a god says I do? Some moral philosophy deems that I owe people without? I am sorry there is not logical a philosophical reason I should give people what they do not have.

Do not confuse what I am saying here. I am not speaking out against helping people. I am not saying that no one in the world should be helped when in need. However, I am saying that it is not the governments place to choose "who is worthy" and who is not. It is not the governments place to judge how much money should come from my paycheck and go to other entities.

We have seen the last couple presidents continually "one up" each other. The presidency should not be a contest to spend the most money..

If we are going to provide universal health care to all americans, why not universal higher education? after all it could be very easily argued college is a necessity in an educated country.

We as a country can not afford to keep spending our money to save failing endeavors when we are really so far in debt there isn't an end to the tunnel or a light at the end.

Spending is not the way to get out of debt. When you are trillions of dollars in debt.. you don't add another trillion to the deficit. Whoever, thought that Obama's stimulus idea was some great innovation and way to magically get out of debt is dreaming..

This isn't just anti obama propaganda or the idea of some person blinded with hatred for a political figure.

These are the rants of someone who makes minimum wage + comission, and would be up to 200+ ahead on bills some pay checks if it wasn't for taxes which when paid are going to frivilous endeavors.

This rant was inspired by "what classes owe" which was written in 1883..

Snow_Fox is offline  
Last edited by Snow_Fox; May 17th, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow_Fox For This Useful Post:
CampD (June 4th, 2010), Crude (May 17th, 2010), oakindustries (May 30th, 2010)
sponsored links
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

Agreed.
__________________
Useful links: The Rules | The Team | FAQ | Unanswered Threads |
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hakr100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post

These are the rants of someone who makes minimum wage + comission, and would be up to 200+ ahead on bills some pay checks if it wasn't for taxes which when paid are going to frivilous endeavors.
If you are making "minimum wage + commission," then your rate of federal taxation most likely is very, very low. I won't take the trouble to post the benefits of our society that also benefit you, and are supported by taxation.
hakr100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nexusville
Posts: 1,151
 
Device(s): Gnex, N5,N7
Carrier: AIO

Thanks: 202
Thanked 134 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
I'm sure many of you out there heard the millions of people recently explain to us "why" we needed to "save" a bunch of crap.

When the auto industry failed hard,... we had to "bail them out" because "we needed them.

When the banks failed "we needed to bail them out" and it was "for our own good"

Obama gets in office, and nothing good has happened yet in terms of economics.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe one thing in life perhaps more so than any other. I owe absolutely no one in the world anything, and conversely no one in the world owes me anything. The one exception to this is parents. I believe if you have a child, it is your responsibility to care for it, you owe your children because you brought them into existence and your parents owe you to care for you.

I will say right now that, the current state of the economy is horribly out of line and it is not getting any better. I highly suggest that we all forget this idea that we owe people money. I have never made a contractual obligation with a poor person that they suddenly "deserve" my money just because I have it, and they do not. I have never made a contractual obligation with a rich person that I suddenly am owed money because I lack it and they have it.

The only time you owe anyone anything is when you make a contractual obligation for goods or services in return for payment of some sort. I do not owe anyone without health care just because I have it and they do not. If we were to argue "haves" owe the "have nots" then on what principal are we arguing this?

Are we to argue this on religious grounds? Do I owe the poor because a god says I do? Some moral philosophy deems that I owe people without? I am sorry there is not logical a philosophical reason I should give people what they do not have.

Do not confuse what I am saying here. I am not speaking out against helping people. I am not saying that no one in the world should be helped when in need. However, I am saying that it is not the governments place to choose "who is worthy" and who is not. It is not the governments place to judge how much money should come from my paycheck and go to other entities.

We have seen the last couple presidents continually "one up" each other. The presidency should not be a contest to spend the most money..

If we are going to provide universal health care to all americans, why not universal higher education? after all it could be very easily argued college is a necessity in an educated country.

We as a country can not afford to keep spending our money to save failing endeavors when we are really so far in debt there isn't an end to the tunnel or a light at the end.

Spending is not the way to get out of debt. When you are trillions of dollars in debt.. you don't add another trillion to the deficit. Whoever, thought that Obama's stimulus idea was some great innovation and way to magically get out of debt is dreaming..

This isn't just anti obama propaganda or the idea of some person blinded with hatred for a political figure.

These are the rants of someone who makes minimum wage + comission, and would be up to 200+ ahead on bills some pay checks if it wasn't for taxes which when paid are going to frivilous endeavors.

This rant was inspired by "what classes owe" which was written in 1883..
The last I checked I pay 22% of my paycheck to taxes. Another 5% in property taxes. More then 1/4 of my income goes right to state and federal
taxes. That's too much, especially when you consider a lot of this is funding social programs that I do not agree with.
Crude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hakr100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude View Post
The last I checked I pay 22% of my paycheck to taxes. Another 5% in property taxes. More then 1/4 of my income goes right to state and federal
taxes. That's too much, especially when you consider a lot of this is funding social programs that I do not agree with.
I'm sure we all have lists of programs we don't like that are funded by tax dollars. But that's part of the price one pays to live in this country.

You might want to look up the federal tax rates that were in effect in the 1950's, during the sane Republican era.
hakr100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

In louisiana you pay 9% on whatever you buy...

I don't pay property tax because I don't own any. I am not sure what the exact amount that is taken from my check is..

And hakr... I'm sorry but, a prerequisite of this country should not be saving failing businesses :/

Sometimes I feel like the government itself amounts to a burden..
Snow_Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow_Fox For This Useful Post:
Crude (May 19th, 2010), IOWA (May 18th, 2010)
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hakr100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
In louisiana you pay 9% on whatever you buy...

I don't pay property tax because I don't own any. I am not sure what the exact amount that is taken from my check is..

And hakr... I'm sorry but, a prerequisite of this country should not be saving failing businesses :/

Sometimes I feel like the government itself amounts to a burden..
I think if you are whining about taxes, it is incumbent upon you to know what the exact amount is taken from your paycheck...and why.
hakr100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Destroying Balls Everyday
 
Vihzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manhattan, NY
Posts: 5,369
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 190
Thanked 1,061 Times in 673 Posts
Default

If I could choose where to put my taxes in, it would be under the Department of Education, Environmental Protection Agency, and NASA. Unfortunately, it is probably spent in the Department of Defense.
Vihzel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

I don't want to support failing business's either. Where's my bailout dammit? Where's the bailout for my family's small business? or other family businesses?
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Destroying Balls Everyday
 
Vihzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manhattan, NY
Posts: 5,369
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 190
Thanked 1,061 Times in 673 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
I don't want to support failing business's either. Where's my bailout dammit? Where's the bailout for my family's small business? or other family businesses?
Unfortunately, your family's small business isn't considered "vital" to the nation by the government. Same with my family's "relatively small" business. We just can't compare to a corporation like... Chase.
Vihzel is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihzel View Post
Unfortunately, your family's small business isn't considered "vital" to the nation by the government. Same with my family's "relatively small" business. We just can't compare to a corporation like... Chase.
Yeah lame. Between my family's income, and our business's taxes etc we pay well over 3 millions a year in taxes. That's a lot of money. I demand a bailout!
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid 2 R2D2 edition, Motorola Xoom with over 100 RELEVANT, working apps added (NE2 2/17/20
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 150
Thanked 116 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
I think if you are whining about taxes, it is incumbent upon you to know what the exact amount is taken from your paycheck...and why.
I know how much is taken from my paycheck. I know the various programs that $10 (gross hyperbole) is supporting. I also see where some of that money has gone and it hasn't done anyone any good. I am not whining about my taxes, I am bitching. You can bet that the responsible(ha!) politician's office feels my pain for every bullshit expenditure they vote for.
3devious is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hakr100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3devious View Post
I know how much is taken from my paycheck. I know the various programs that $10 (gross hyperbole) is supporting. I also see where some of that money has gone and it hasn't done anyone any good. I am not whining about my taxes, I am bitching. You can bet that the responsible(ha!) politician's office feels my pain for every bullshit expenditure they vote for.

Well, I don't mind my tax dollars going to those who need help. I also did not mind the bucks going to GM and Chrysler, because I think the cash infusion pulled their butts out of the fire. Many thousands of decent jobs for working men and women may have been saved, and that is meaningful.

But the Wall Street and insurance crowd? I have no compassion for those crooks.
hakr100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
Well, I don't mind my tax dollars going to those who need help. I also did not mind the bucks going to GM and Chrysler, because I think the cash infusion pulled their butts out of the fire. Many thousands of decent jobs for working men and women may have been saved, and that is meaningful.

But the Wall Street and insurance crowd? I have no compassion for those crooks.

@ hakr last time I did the math it came out to be something like 25% of what is taken out of my checks.. but, working comission I get a different amount taken out every week. It is not like I work a stable 40 hours a week job and can say "here is the amount".

I actually hated that GM and Chrystler were bailed out :/.

I don't buy GM cars and probably won't in the future, there is a reason there business was failing just like wallstreets.

For every honest good job that was saved at GM, there were probably just as many legit wallstreet jobs saved.

That still doesn't mean I believe they should be bailed out. Where was my bail out when I was laid off? When my company said "we can't afford to keep you on" and hired someone 2 dollars cheaper an hour less than a week later :/.

If GM can't sell cars.. why should they be kept alive? They got billions of dollars which I fail to see how they earned.

As to wall street, I am beginning to believe golden parashute's should be a reference to urine when you screw up as badly as some of those people have :/
Snow_Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow_Fox For This Useful Post:
Crude (May 19th, 2010)
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
@ hakr last time I did the math it came out to be something like 25% of what is taken out of my checks.. but, working comission I get a different amount taken out every week. It is not like I work a stable 40 hours a week job and can say "here is the amount".

I actually hated that GM and Chrystler were bailed out :/.

I don't buy GM cars and probably won't in the future, there is a reason there business was failing just like wallstreets.

For every honest good job that was saved at GM, there were probably just as many legit wallstreet jobs saved.

That still doesn't mean I believe they should be bailed out. Where was my bail out when I was laid off? When my company said "we can't afford to keep you on" and hired someone 2 dollars cheaper an hour less than a week later :/.

If GM can't sell cars.. why should they be kept alive? They got billions of dollars which I fail to see how they earned.

As to wall street, I am beginning to believe golden parashute's should be a reference to urine when you screw up as badly as some of those people have :/
And when large business's topple, that's when smaller business's thrive. If there is little demand, how can we afford to cash infuse which only solves athe problem short term. What's happens when the demand goes down again?
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IOWA For This Useful Post:
Crude (May 19th, 2010)
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Crude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nexusville
Posts: 1,151
 
Device(s): Gnex, N5,N7
Carrier: AIO

Thanks: 202
Thanked 134 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihzel View Post
If I could choose where to put my taxes in, it would be under the Department of Education, Environmental Protection Agency, and NASA. Unfortunately, it is probably spent in the Department of Defense.
Why not look it up? The US gov's budget is public information.
Crude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

very true about the little businesses thriving, It is a shame that as much as people want you to believe conservatives are in the pocket of big business..

The truth is ultimately ALL politicians are in big businesses pockets.. the more we solve "short term" problems the more "long term" problems we create... Like how are we going to pay off saving those big businesses..

Sure a lot of qualified people would have lost their jobs if the business went down but, so what? A lot of qualified people lose their jobs on a daily basis as it is anyway... I got laid off myself a little over 6 months ago. I found a new job. never mind the fact that the business that laid me off, fired 21 other people and probably still gets rid of people sporadically doesn't DESERVE to be in business.. and hired someone new for 2$ less an hour not even a week later.

this business couldn't give raises to the employee's it had.. but, it could spend what one manager claimed was "4,000$" hiring new employee's and training them. never mind the fact that one time of more than 20 people interviewed (they trained people all at one time in groups) no one got hired.. after the mention of a drug test they all just stop showing up.

Sure they weren't bailed out by the gov't but, they blatantly abused power and they absolutely fail at managing their business in the location I worked. If they represent the entire company (I worked there for a year and will never go back to the store itself) then they are going to fail hard sooner or later, and I will pray they are not bailed out.

We don't "owe" companies like that anything. I am still burned up from watching the news one day "new camaro is selling fast! the profits are rising signifigantly!" was one article... the next news piece they did was "They are going to recieve X more bailout money!" I'm not the brightest.. but, i thought the company was "doing better now"..

If anything I would say these institutions owe US. If the bank failed, they owe their customers the money they lost! The FDIC should skip giving the banks anything and just give the customers that lost money what they are owed...

Let 4 or 5 new banks take their place... then we can get some competition and lower interest rates!
Snow_Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow_Fox For This Useful Post:
IOWA (May 22nd, 2010)
Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 169
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently."

--Henry Ford (Ford didn't receive any bailout money)
TheBeardedMann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
brab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

And if we had not bailed out Wall Street and there had been a world wide recession that led to 25% unemployment and none of you could pay your bills or put food on the table, who would you have blamed then?

The one thing that burns me up about the Wall Street bailouts in particular is that they infused these firms with money with no strings. So after the infusion and they were back on their feet, the incredible bonuses to the people that managed the firms to the brink, continued.

The biggest mistake that the government has made is to allow these banks to become too big to fail. But that is the free market, right?

And finally, we must institute regulation of Wall Street for there is no such thing as the free market.
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brab View Post
And if we had not bailed out Wall Street and there had been a world wide recession that led to 25% unemployment and none of you could pay your bills or put food on the table, who would you have blamed then?
Feel free to explain this at any point in time. Its a great statement but, I don't see anything to back this. I thought we already were in a world wide recession :/


Quote:
The one thing that burns me up about the Wall Street bailouts in particular is that they infused these firms with money with no strings. So after the infusion and they were back on their feet, the incredible bonuses to the people that managed the firms to the brink, continued.
Back on their feet? you mean blowing tax payer money to give raises to the people who screwed up in the first place?
Quote:
The biggest mistake that the government has made is to allow these banks to become too big to fail. But that is the free market, right?
No one is too big to fail, however if you listen to them.. you may begin to believe it. I say let them fail and let someone else take their place! Small businesses thrive when big businesses can't cope.

Quote:
And finally, we must institute regulation of Wall Street for there is no such thing as the free market.
The only thing I would like to see regulated are golden parachutes..

Lets face it.. I don't want to get into a slippery slope fallacy when I try to reason this out.. but, I think declaring regulations are definitely a slippery slope altogether.

*Edit*

Although if the government had gone loan shark on the banks.. I think it would have been justified.
Snow_Fox is offline  
Last edited by Snow_Fox; May 28th, 2010 at 09:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
brab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

All the world economists believed if AIG had collapsed, it would have led to a world wide depression. Now you can argue that was a lie but the first TARP package was put in place by W's treasury secretary.

No, not if you believe the world economy would have collapsed though I do believe the people who we bailed out caused it.

If these large institutions had collapsed, there would have been no capital available for small business to utilize.

I guess we don't need to regulate the oil industry then, or the airlines or emissions from factory stacks, etc.

As I said, they should not have loaned the money with no strings attached. By the way, the banks and corporations we bailed out do have to pay some interest.
 
Last edited by brab; May 31st, 2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason: trying to get quotes in right place
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default Re: Tired of hearing what I need to do.

If these institutions would have failed, others would step up to take their place. Instead of 4 or 5 mega companies, we'd have more smaller banks able to compete.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
Yeah lame. Between my family's income, and our business's taxes etc we pay well over 3 millions a year in taxes. That's a lot of money. I demand a bailout!
The "bailout" for your "small business" takes the form of tax incentives and credits in the ACA.

As well as the numerous other provisions of the tax code that currently exist to incentivize and make small businesses competitive.

IOWA: If all the large banks had failed, the small banks wouldn't have had the capital to step up and take their place -- that's the problem with letting the banks fail.

All:
If you don't like the tax rates, or you don't like the programs your money is being spent on, you have two options:
1) Petition, campaign, etc, to reduce taxes / change the programs it's spent on. (amusingly, this would have the consequence of increasing the deficit, which you identify as a problem).
2) Move to another country.

Do I agree with most of what tax money is spent on? No, there's a ton of waste in the system. But if you really think it's possible for them to repeal Medicare, or Social Security, you don't know what you're talking about.
zauper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:07 AM   #24 (permalink)
brab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Zauper
They can't repeal medicaire, meidcaid or social security but they have to reform them. Even if they cut discretionary spending to 0000.00, we liberals must understand that the entitlements have to be cut. Be that means testing or raising once again the retirement age and it's time they considered some variation of privitazation.

The entitlements will be cut/modified it is only a matter of time.
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Zenze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 210
 
Device(s): HTC Inc
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brab View Post
Zauper
They can't repeal medicaire, meidcaid or social security but they have to reform them. Even if they cut discretionary spending to 0000.00, we liberals must understand that the entitlements have to be cut. Be that means testing or raising once again the retirement age and it's time they considered some variation of privitazation.

The entitlements will be cut/modified it is only a matter of time.
I would like to see us get rid of both of them honestly. But I don't think either party would do it as the elderly vote more than anyone else and they would be very unhappy.
__________________
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed frequently, and for the same reason." -Unknown
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Zenze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default Re: Tired of hearing what I need to do.

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah lame. Between my family's income, and our business's taxes etc we pay well over 3 millions a year in taxes. That's a lot of money. I demand a bailout!
The "bailout" for your "small business" takes the form of tax incentives and credits in the ACA.

As well as the numerous other provisions of the tax code that currently exist to incentivize and make small businesses competitive.

IOWA: If all the large banks had failed, the small banks wouldn't have had the capital to step up and take their place -- that's the problem with letting the banks fail.

All:
If you don't like the tax rates, or you don't like the programs your money is being spent on, you have two options:
1) Petition, campaign, etc, to reduce taxes / change the programs it's spent on. (amusingly, this would have the consequence of increasing the deficit, which you identify as a problem).
2) Move to another country.

Do I agree with most of what tax money is spent on? No, there's a ton of waste in the system. But if you really think it's possible for them to repeal Medicare, or Social Security, you don't know what you're talking about.
I disagree. Also, not all the large banks would have failed. And with people changing banks from the other banks closing, the smaller banks would have enough capital to lend, and since they watch their money/finances more carefully, and make better loan giving decisions. You seem to forget, the banks got themselves into that heap of trouble, all by themselves. By making bad decisions, and giving 300k+ vbr loans to people with less than 25k a year incomes.

Who are they, that they get to stay in business after such a monumental failure?

we would be better off long term without them.
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
I disagree. Also, not all the large banks would have failed. And with people changing banks from the other banks closing, the smaller banks would have enough capital to lend, and since they watch their money/finances more carefully, and make better loan giving decisions. You seem to forget, the banks got themselves into that heap of trouble, all by themselves. By making bad decisions, and giving 300k+ vbr loans to people with less than 25k a year incomes.

Who are they, that they get to stay in business after such a monumental failure?

we would be better off long term without them.
We almost certainly would be better off long-term with letting them fail, the issue would be the short time consequences.

Brab:
Do you understand Medicare? Do you understand that it is already privatized? You have the option to enroll in Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage [MA]) or fee for service (A & B) [FFS], and Part D (the drug benefit) is privatized only.

Do you know what the average cost of MA compared to FFS Medicare has been since it passed?
zauper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default Re: Tired of hearing what I need to do.

I've always understood that longterm>short term

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:08 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Umm..


Politicians have a really bad habit of letting the next person in line fix the long term problems they created with short term solutions.

So the next Politician gets in and fixes the long term screw ups of the previous people by making more long term screw ups which were great for the short term.

The bank should have fallen.
Snow_Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:36 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
mancow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 131
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I think the problem is that we are now attempting to become this hybrid creature which is part socialism and part capitalism and it doesn't work. Everyone wants it both ways. They want to be able to play and never pay in a world where failure is not really a factor.

When 50% of the population doesn't contribute to income taxes but 100% are being promised a multitude of benefits the math simply doesn't work. It cant be sustained indefinitely.

The thing I've found most disturbing lately is the political corruption. Anyone with a speck of sense would know that you don't create the largest entitlement program ever seen right in the middle of an economic crisis. However, instead of common sense compromise we see $300 mil thrown at someone like Landrieau in Louisiana and suddenly that vote is signed and delivered.

The entire situation and people involved are just vulgar.
mancow is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:29 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
hood420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 371
 
Device(s): Sprint Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I think the government, especially the Federal government needs to be overhauled top to bottom. I don't agree with any social programs, and I definitely don't think any should exist at a federal level. I really think the responsibility of the federal government is national defense, interstate & international commerce, preserving individual rights with the Constitution as a guideline and that's about it. I like educational and science related funding, but it honestly isn't the responsibility of government, certainly not at a federal level.

In reality, we've become so dependent on the current messed-up state of things that it will be hard/impossible to right-size government. If things continue to go the way that they have for the past 70 years or so, our society will crumble, whether it be in 10 years or 100 years or longer is the only question. I hold very little hope that things will get any better, short term thinking and politicians pandering to the ignorant and ill-informed masses seems as if it will prevail.

http://www.bigmattress.com/weblog/government.jpg
hood420 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:41 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

@mancow.

I live in louisiana... Our politicians are so corrupt, it is mind boggling. What is even worse is I was reading, and I have no idea if this is somehow tied to obama or not.. However, since he took office payrates have gone up in the gov't.. More gov't employee's are getting paid more.. pretty bad considering.

We want to be a capitolist nation with socialist security nets.. and sadly.. its a slippery slope anyway you look at it when your half and half usually not towards positive means..

@hood420

Your posted couldn't be more accurate. The problem i see it is a total lack of moderation. People don't want to be moderate on any issue.. Lets face it.. most people see the black or white in these issues..

Sadly no one wants to find the most effective solution that will set us on the right path short term and help us long term.. people just want their cake...

Well guess what.. The cake is a lie..
Snow_Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:01 AM   #33 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default Re: Tired of hearing what I need to do.

Mancow's morning madhouse.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:48 AM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hakr100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
@mancow.

I live in louisiana... Our politicians are so corrupt, it is mind boggling. What is even worse is I was reading, and I have no idea if this is somehow tied to obama or not.. However, since he took office payrates have gone up in the gov't.. More gov't employee's are getting paid more.. pretty bad considering.
.
The chief exec of your state is a Republican governor, not Obama.
hakr100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
@mancow.

I live in louisiana... Our politicians are so corrupt, it is mind boggling. What is even worse is I was reading, and I have no idea if this is somehow tied to obama or not.. However, since he took office payrates have gone up in the gov't.. More gov't employee's are getting paid more.. pretty bad considering.

We want to be a capitolist nation with socialist security nets.. and sadly.. its a slippery slope anyway you look at it when your half and half usually not towards positive means..
State employee payrates are determined by your state.
Federal employee payrates are, generally speaking, substantially lower than one could receive in industry. The benefits are, also generally speaking, substantially better.
zauper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:24 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Zenze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 210
 
Device(s): HTC Inc
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancow View Post
I think the problem is that we are now attempting to become this hybrid creature which is part socialism and part capitalism and it doesn't work.
I disagree. First of all there has never really been a purely capitalist society or a purely socialist in the world, all are some form of hybrid. Also many things it just makes more sense for the government to do and other things it does not, therefore you need a hybrid system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
Well guess what.. The cake is a lie..
Portal reference?
Zenze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Few points to clear up.

1. my statements about living in louisiana were more along the lines of growing up and living in this state.. You never really hear anything besides "corruption, corruption, corruption".

2. My reference to gov't jobs increasing payrates was on a federal level sorry I forgot to mention that.

@ Zenze

SPOILERS FOR A VIDEO GAME

The cake is a lie is a reference to a video game.. You are promised cake.. and in many places.. you find it written on the wall "the cake is a lie" over and over.

END SPOILERS

I am using the cake is a lie as a reference to the fact that we in America, Democrats AND republicans, Liberals AND Conservatives have really adopted a bad habit of "quick fixes" to problems which really, really do not work.

For example.. we are in a recession.. so Obama gets a huge stimulus bill passed.. Which may be great short term.. But, now we are potentially crippled economically long term.

I'm not just picking on obama here, this is something all politicians are guilty of. Unfortunately at the moment, politicans have a horrible habit of trying to appeal to *everyone* when it comes to economic matters.. Some politicians seem to avoid economics like a bad plague and choose to take a holy roller stance which also wins a lot of people.

However, at the moment politics really can't stand up and say "Ok we need to cut this, in order to save this!"

Yes letting GM and Goldman Sachs fall may have caused some short term problems.. However, that is life. We can not keep acting for the present.. We have to eventually face problems and handle them even if it means facing harder times.

I personally *still* think GM deserves to fail and I think GM *will* fail again. Gm faced problems in part because, they had virtually no fuel efficient vehicles.. We get in a depression.. gas drops and bam.. They are being "saved" by the camaro.. A gas guzzler.. and the news article talking about how the company is being saved goes on to talk about how they were going to receive EVEN MORE MONEY! GM may offer some more fuel efficient vehicles now.. but, the fact is they are a day late and a dollar short.

So me saying the cake is a lie equates to this. Yes, short term jobs were saved by helping Goldman-Sachs out and GM.. However, the cost of saving those companies and jobs is a big cost which we are now going to have to deal with.

Even in regards to the oil spill which occured recently.. I've seen some people mention "boycotting" BP.. I personally don' think that is a good idea.. We want to talk about "jobs being saved" when we are discussing the stimulus.. But, when we discuss BP.. No one wants to think about the fact that you would also be boycotting the people who work for bp that had nothing to do with the break down, people with families, jobs and not even just in the BP company.. we are talking people who work at gas stations which are not owned by but, do sell BP gas. This would be horrible for the economy.

Not to mention.. honestly.. gas has already hit 4$ a gallon in the past.. close to 5$ at some points and probably 5$ in some places.. even *if* people seriously boycotted BP.. I assure you.. once bp dropped its prices and competitors began raising prices.. that boycott would end quickly.

Also, thanks for keeping this discussing relatively friendly guys, it is nice to see that even if we don't agree we can at least discuss it.
Snow_Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Zenze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 210
 
Device(s): HTC Inc
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Heh I actually understood your meaning, what I should have said was "nice Portal reference."

Anyway I agree that all these short term fixes are not the right approach. I also agree that if a company is going to fail then they should fail. Thats what happens when you are not able to provide what your customers want and someone else can do it better.

I think that the problem is that we have "career" politicians. Unfortunately they resort to short term results because they need results that they can wave around before the next election comes up.
Zenze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge > Politics and Current Affairs
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.