So I've been running a stock Inc for 2 years now, and it's daily boot loops have got me to the point where I've had enough.
I'm picking up the Rezound on Saturday, and unlike my Inc, I plan on unlocking/rooting.
As a first-time rooter, I REALLY appreciate Scotty85's guide (I *know*
a guy with "Scott" in his user name must
be awesome! Ahem.). I think I can follow it without difficulty. (You rock, Scotty85!)
My question is, as a noob rooter, what should I be looking to take advantage of? My intention is to still be able to accept OTA upgrades, so I think temp recovery is the way to go.
I think that the steps I want to do are:
1. Get unlocked/rooted:
- Unlock with htcdev
- Temp recovery with AmonRa
- Flash su files
2. Do something useful with it:
- Install Titanium Backup and freeze bloat
- Install AdFree (maybe)
- Get wireless tether (for emergencies - probably won't ever use it, actually)
So, my fundamental question is, what else useful can I do with this new-found power?
My lesser questions are:
- Can AdFree enable/disable by app, or is it global? (I don't mind ad-supported SW, and if I really like an app a lot, I'll pay for it to remove ads. However, web ads just suck my bandwidth and bog my system.)
- Any guidance on what can/can't be frozen with no ill effects?
- Any recommendations on the "best" backup methods? I haven't fully wrapped my brain around all the details and nuances of Android's inner workings.
Thanks in advance, folks!