Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Rezound > Rezound - All Things Root

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Help - Attempted S-OFF fail

I used Scott's noob guide to root my Rezound, which by the way was easy and flawless, thank you. After I attempted S-OFF and it failed about 3 times trying the wire trick. After the 3rd the phone just froze at the black screen with the juopunutbear logo. I was forced to then battery pull. When I tried to boot again the phone either just goes to the same logo and stays there or I can boot into the bootloader. From there I can't seem to do anything, can't access recovery, S-ON is there and the phone says unlocked. When I try to acess the phone via command prompt in windows using fastboot from your mini-adb, I just get a waiting for device.


Can anyone please help or is my phone now a lost cause?

Thank you.

Advertisements
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

jpbear relaces your boot image with their special one,hence that's where it goes when you try to boot. You should still be able to get to hboot,then fastboot to reflash your boot image to get your phone spring.

Rather than rwflash rhe boot image,I personally would rerun control bear and keep doing the wire trick until it works.it took me several tries the 2nd time I did it. 3 or 4 fails is giving up pretty easy
__________________
The Delivery Guy
If someone has helped you,please click the THANKS button on that post.
Please post questions so others can benefit from the answers.
donate to my device fund
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
jpbear relaces your boot image with their special one,hence that's where it goes when you try to boot. You should still be able to get to hboot,then fastboot to reflash your boot image to get your phone spring.

Rather than rwflash rhe boot image,I personally would rerun control bear and keep doing the wire trick until it works.it took me several tries the 2nd time I did it. 3 or 4 fails is giving up pretty easy
I'm able to get into flashboot but the computer doesn't see my phone anymore and that's where I'm stuck. I get a "waiting for device" when trying to flash boot.img

I tried re-running controlbear a few times but the computer no longer sees my device. Control gives this:

Searching for device
Connect device and install drivers
Press ENTER to exit.

Drivers are installed and the computer was seeing the phone before attempting the wire trick.
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Well I tried rebooting, reinstalling HTC drivers, all the USB ports on my PC, etc.

Nothing, just keep getting the same messages I posted in the previous thread with control box and adb/fastboot.

Looks like I have a nice paperweight now. At least I still have my T-bolt...
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Try installing boot as a ph98img.

Search xda.

I'm sure its not. A Paperweight
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by scotty85; May 23rd, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
Try installing boot as a ph98img.

Search xda.

I'm sure its not. A Paperweight

I placed the PH98IMG.zip on the root of my sd card, and booted into HBOOT. The blue status bar slowly progresses on the right hand side of the screen and once it completes nothing happens.
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

What is inside ph98img?
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
What is inside ph98img?

I used this one that I found on XDA:

ROLL UP STICKY: Currently Unlocked Bootloader, S-Off and Perm Root - xda-developers
2.01.605.11 Gingerbread ZIP RUU

It contains:
adsp.img
android-info.txt
boot_signed.img
dzdata_16g.hdr
dzdata_16g.img
dzdata_4g.hdr
dzdata_4g.img
hboot_8x60-lte_2.11.0000_111006_CRC_signedbyaa.nb0
mdm9k.img
mdmrcdata_1.88.002.img
pg2fs_spcustom.img
radio.img
ramdisk.img
rcdata_1.13.002.img
recovery_signed.img
rpm.img
sbl1.img
sbl2.img
sbl3.img
splash1.nb0
system.img
tp_atmel224e_1101.img
tz.img
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

ahh,now were getting somewhere. you wont be able to run the ruu while unlocked

pull out everything but the boot image and android info text document,rezip and try again. optionally,you could add in your recovery image of choice,but the boot image should get you booting.

also,sorry for the short replies,i was working(driving)
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
ahh,now were getting somewhere. you wont be able to run the ruu while unlocked

pull out everything but the boot image and android info text document,rezip and try again. optionally,you could add in your recovery image of choice,but the boot image should get you booting.

also,sorry for the short replies,i was working(driving)
I will give that a go right now.

And don't worry about apologizing at all dude. You've been more than helpful so far. Thanks man.
djl236 is offline  
Last edited by djl236; May 23rd, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Ok created the PH98IMG.zip with the android_info.txt, the boot.img and the amon ra recovery img, installed it and the phone is now booting up again. I'm going to wipe it and do a nandroid restore of the stock rooted image I took before trying to s-OFF.

EDIT:
Actually I'm not sure I need to do that. Everything is still there including superuser and root checker verifies I have root access. Phone is still HTC Unlocked as well.

Still not out of the woods yet. The phone is booted into the OS, but it is still not be recognized by my PC. I do have HTC drivers installed....another HTC android phone when plugged in is recognized. My Rezound still isn't. It won't even charge off the computer.
djl236 is offline  
Last edited by djl236; May 23rd, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

a couple different things come to mind...

first,i think id reinstall the stock recovery and try clearing storage in hboot.

failing that,maybe try and relock/run the full ruu
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
a couple different things come to mind...

first,i think id reinstall the stock recovery and try clearing storage in hboot.

failing that,maybe try and relock/run the full ruu

Since the PC won't recognize or see this phone at all I decided to try to wipe and restore my nandroid to see if that would get the computer/USB working again.

I wiped everything and went to nandroid using this:
[Recovery Flashable] Nandroid Helper for the Rezound - xda-developers

Nandroid is failing to restore. So now I'm stuck with a phone that has Amon Ra recovery and HBOOT and nothing else on it (no OS). It does work with any computers that have HTC drivers so I can use adb or fastboot commands. I think I'm just as worse off as before. I have no idea where to go from here and may just quit for the night and try whatever other advice you might have tomorrow.


I really really hate this phone lol. I never had any problems with rooting and attaining S-OFF with my Incredible and Thunderbolt.
djl236 is offline  
Last edited by djl236; May 23rd, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

i havent used the nandroid helper. i think the tools that are supposed to make things "easier" may complicate them more than they help

rewipe,restore the backup,or flash a new rom,then manually reinstall the boot image.

you could also install the "mini-ruu" from the root thread,wich is just the boot/system/recovery images so you dont need to relock.
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

after some thot,i think thats what id do if the nandroid doesnt work.

install the mini-ruu so you have ths stock recovery. then try clear storage,and factory reset options in hboot.
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
after some thot,i think thats what id do if the nandroid doesnt work.

install the mini-ruu so you have ths stock recovery. then try clear storage,and factory reset options in hboot.
Ok I downloaded and flashed the mini-RUU successfully and got the phone to boot into the OS. I confirmed the phone was still not being read/recognized or even charged by my PC. Rebooted back into HBOOT and then ran clear storage and factory reset. Computer still doesn't recognize/read or charge the phone, but it does boot into the OS.
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

you have tried different cables,right? got usb debugging turned on?
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
you have tried different cables,right? got usb debugging turned on?
Yes I tried different cables, different USB Ports, different PCs with HTC drivers installed and enabled USB debugging. still won't see it or charge it on a PC.
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

The phone also isn't charging when plugged into a wall. I'm guessing the s-off attempt caused hardware damage and the phone is now worthless.
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl236 View Post
The phone also isn't charging when plugged into a wall. I'm guessing the s-off attempt caused hardware damage and the phone is now worthless.
does it still make calls,have working wifi/data? if so its not completely worthless,tho admittedly its an extreme inconvience/nuisance to not be able to plug it in to a PC for file transfer and adb/fastboot. i got an external charger and some extra batteries pretty cheap on amazon since i hate plugging my phone into a charger during the day. everyday i use my phone till it dies then pop in a new battery.

unnfortunately,i cannot think of anything else we can try. you cant run a full ruu without relocking,and you cant relock without fastboot. my last suggestion is to get on jpbears irc channel and see if they have any advice. i would ask if hyuh or zanzibar are in the room before asking,as they are prolly the only 2 id for sure trust to know an answer to.

#Juopunutbear on Freenode [26.4/43]

i will keep researching,and see if i can come up with anything else
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

have you reinstalled your recovery as a ph98img?
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
does it still make calls,have working wifi/data? if so its not completely worthless,tho admittedly its an extreme inconvience/nuisance to not be able to plug it in to a PC for file transfer and adb/fastboot. i got an external charger and some extra batteries pretty cheap on amazon since i hate plugging my phone into a charger during the day. everyday i use my phone till it dies then pop in a new battery.

unnfortunately,i cannot think of anything else we can try. you cant run a full ruu without relocking,and you cant relock without fastboot. my last suggestion is to get on jpbears irc channel and see if they have any advice. i would ask if hyuh or zanzibar are in the room before asking,as they are prolly the only 2 id for sure trust to know an answer to.

#Juopunutbear on Freenode [26.4/43]



i will keep researching,and see if i can come up with anything else
Wifi/Data work, but it wouldn't be worth to me to get an external charger and keep doing that. The bright side is I didn't pay for this phone, I got it for free so no money lost. I'm using my Thunderbolt, so this phone isn't even activated now. If you find anything else out that may work, I'm all ears. Thanks for all the help so far. You at least got the thing booting again.
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
have you reinstalled your recovery as a ph98img?
I just flashed Amon Ra, it installed ok. Phone still isn't seen by a PC and won't charge at all.
djl236 is offline  
Last edited by djl236; May 24th, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl236 View Post
Which recovery, Amon-Ra?

The only thing I've done since last night is flash the mini-ruu and try the clear storage and factory reset.
ok. i dont think hyuh is completely understanding the prollem. as you can see,those guys can be a little abraisive,but dont take it personally- they just get so much of the same thing over and over it can be fustrating. just answer his questions as best you can,and try and be polite.

install amon as a ph98img,and boot to it... see if it charges and/or has any connectivity.

other than that,try and keep your eyes peeled on the channel in case he comes back and starts asking more questions.
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
ok. i dont think hyuh is completely understanding the prollem. as you can see,those guys can be a little abraisive,but dont take it personally- they just get so much of the same thing over and over it can be fustrating. just answer his questions as best you can,and try and be polite.

install amon as a ph98img,and boot to it... see if it charges and/or has any connectivity.

other than that,try and keep your eyes peeled on the channel in case he comes back and starts asking more questions.
Its alright, I know he doesn't have to help anyone and I fully understand that.

Still doesn't charge or PC connect with amon ra. I'll stay logged on IRC at work today and see if he says anything else.
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #26 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

cool,let me know how it goes. ill leave mine loged on,but i wont be here to watch it,i gotta get to work pretty soon and ill be there till about 8:00

for what its worth,i think the juopunutbear guys are in europe,so its prolly midile of the afternoon there?

out of curiousity,does it make any "plug in" noises when you plug it in,in fastboot or into the OS? wether it does or doesnt, if you open device manager do you see anything that could be the phone? so that maybe you could try manually updating the drivers?

i asked you on the channel,too,in case those answers may have some relevance to them.
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: America
Posts: 71
 
Device(s): Samsung Infuse 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
unnfortunately,i cannot think of anything else we can try. you cant run a full ruu without relocking,and you cant relock without fastboot...
This isn't necessarily true... i was in a similar predicament before. I downloaded the ACS HTC supertool and plugged my phone in and ran the relock command. Even though my phone wouldn't respond to ANY fastboot commands, it responded to the relock one in the tool. After that, I was then able to run the full RUU and was fine.

I'm not guaranteeing it will work, but it can't hurt.

Here is the link, download it, run it, plug in phone and press the number for whichever line item says relock (i can't remember what number it is) and then wait a couple of seconds

[UTIL][WIN][01/04] ACS HTC Super Tool v3 click on the cyan colored "ACS HTC Super Tool @ Goo-Inside.me"
tCizzler is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tCizzler For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCizzler View Post
This isn't necessarily true... i was in a similar predicament before. I downloaded the ACS HTC supertool and plugged my phone in and ran the relock command. Even though my phone wouldn't respond to ANY fastboot commands, it responded to the relock one in the tool. After that, I was then able to run the full RUU and was fine.

I'm not guaranteeing it will work, but it can't hurt.

Here is the link, download it, run it, plug in phone and press the number for whichever line item says relock (i can't remember what number it is) and then wait a couple of seconds

[UTIL][WIN][01/04] ACS HTC Super Tool v3 click on the cyan colored "ACS HTC Super Tool @ Goo-Inside.me"
The problem with my phone is the port on the phone for the USB cable doesn't seem to be working. I cant even charge the phone on a wall charger.
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: America
Posts: 71
 
Device(s): Samsung Infuse 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Did you try the tool?
tCizzler is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tCizzler For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCizzler View Post
Did you try the tool?
No not yet, I will try tomorrow morning. I'm pretty tired right now. You think it'll get the USB port working again?
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: America
Posts: 71
 
Device(s): Samsung Infuse 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

No idea, to be honest. But it worked for me. My phone wasn't recognized by ANYTHING either. Except for the acs htc tool. Relocked, then the ruu went through fine. You have to run it twice, because the first time, it gets a little into it and then shuts the phone off. You have to pull the battery and boot back into hboot and let it to do the rest. Then my port started working again. But whatever you do. Make sure you have enough battery to get you through the ruu process.... About 20 minutes of screen on, full brightness, and lots of processing going on.
tCizzler is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tCizzler For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 24th, 2012)
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCizzler View Post
No idea, to be honest. But it worked for me. My phone wasn't recognized by ANYTHING either. Except for the acs htc tool. Relocked, then the ruu went through fine. You have to run it twice, because the first time, it gets a little into it and then shuts the phone off. You have to pull the battery and boot back into hboot and let it to do the rest. Then my port started working again. But whatever you do. Make sure you have enough battery to get you through the ruu process.... About 20 minutes of screen on, full brightness, and lots of processing going on.
I'll definitely try this tomorrow. Whether it works or not, thanks man.
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Tool doesn't seem to be working. All it does is start the adb daemon and hang there. The phone isn't recognized at all on the PC and I'm sure its b/c the port on the phone for the cable is fried. The phone doesn't even charge when plugged into a wall outlet or a car charger.
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #34 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: America
Posts: 71
 
Device(s): Samsung Infuse 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Well, it was worth a shot. I wonder if its possible to relock through a terminal emulator in the rom? At this point I don't think anything will get that port working again, but if you can get it relocked, at least you can return it under warranty
tCizzler is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tCizzler For This Useful Post:
djl236 (May 25th, 2012)
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCizzler View Post
Well, it was worth a shot. I wonder if its possible to relock through a terminal emulator in the rom? At this point I don't think anything will get that port working again, but if you can get it relocked, at least you can return it under warranty
I got the phone for free so I don't even care to be honest. I'll just stick with my T-bolt. Thanks though.
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

*shrug*

if he was going to return it relocked he might as well return it unlocked. anyone that cares,and knows enuff to check,will know its been messed with when they see it relocked.

i personally would attempt to replace the charger port if i had a freee rezound with one that didnt work if youd like to sell it cheap,id be interested in trying it it would be nice to have an s-on phone to test things with

im also not surprised the tool didnt work. theres nothing really special,or magical about it.its just running the same fastboot commands,in an automated process after chosing what you want it to do. it requires the same adb/fsatboot connection that a regular cmd window does. with the other scenario there are alot of different reasons why the regular cmd widow woundnt work and the tool did. since the tool required the same connection we could prolly retrace the steps taken prior aND figure it out.

djl236,sorry we didnt get him goin for you. the whole thing is pretty peculiar,as it certainly appears that the wire trick,or control bear,did something to the port,but i know of folks who did the wire trick literally tens of times,or even over 100 times tryin to get it to work,so it seems if the one caused the other wed see it elsewhere. i wonder if maybe you grounded a diffetent pin at some point,or posibly scraped up the board under the ground hole?

at any rate,its a remarkable coincidence at the very least,and it would be nice to somehow have some answers.

last thing i have to offer is this:
you can still flash roms,youll just have to download to the phone,put the sd in a card reader,or push files to /sdcard2 over adb wireless.

while it is a pain to keep charging in an external charger,and swapping them out,you can easily change between your TB and rezound by changing out the sim card. you dont need to involve anybody at vzw,just power both off and swap it over. while you may not want to use the broken rezound daily,theres certainly nothing wrong with using it now and then to break up the monoteny just somethin to think about
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
*shrug*

if he was going to return it relocked he might as well return it unlocked. anyone that cares,and knows enuff to check,will know its been messed with when they see it relocked.

i personally would attempt to replace the charger port if i had a freee rezound with one that didnt work if youd like to sell it cheap,id be interested in trying it it would be nice to have an s-on phone to test things with

im also not surprised the tool didnt work. theres nothing really special,or magical about it.its just running the same fastboot commands,in an automated process after chosing what you want it to do. it requires the same adb/fsatboot connection that a regular cmd window does. with the other scenario there are alot of different reasons why the regular cmd widow woundnt work and the tool did. since the tool required the same connection we could prolly retrace the steps taken prior aND figure it out.

djl236,sorry we didnt get him goin for you. the whole thing is pretty peculiar,as it certainly appears that the wire trick,or control bear,did something to the port,but i know of folks who did the wire trick literally tens of times,or even over 100 times tryin to get it to work,so it seems if the one caused the other wed see it elsewhere. i wonder if maybe you grounded a diffetent pin at some point,or posibly scraped up the board under the ground hole?

at any rate,its a remarkable coincidence at the very least,and it would be nice to somehow have some answers.

last thing i have to offer is this:
you can still flash roms,youll just have to download to the phone,put the sd in a card reader,or push files to /sdcard2 over adb wireless.

while it is a pain to keep charging in an external charger,and swapping them out,you can easily change between your TB and rezound by changing out the sim card. you dont need to involve anybody at vzw,just power both off and swap it over. while you may not want to use the broken rezound daily,theres certainly nothing wrong with using it now and then to break up the monoteny just somethin to think about
I really think the wire trick did it. I was using insulated copper speaker wire. I know I was grounding the right pin; I followed the picture and video while doing it. Its possibly I may have scraped up the board under the ground hole though. That speaker wire was a pain in the ass to get in the hole. That's probably what happened.

I may just keep the phone as an emergency backup in case something happens to my T-bolt. I'm under contract until July 2013 and don't wanna upgrade and lose my grandfathered unlimited data. Plus I don't like any of the phones Verizon is offering right now (not a fan of the Galaxy Nexus or anything by Motorola).

I can't return the phone, because when I got it, it was past its 30 day return time with Verizon. The reason I got the phone is because we use Androids at work and the one employee (high on the management totem pole) dropped this Rezound and gave it a slight cosmetic crack in the lower right of the screen - the crack didn't affect functionality at all and like I said, the USB port was working till I did ControlBear. Anyway, because this person dropped the phone after the 30 days to return it (we used their upgrade to get it), we (the company) had to buy them a new one as a replacement because they didn't want a phone with a slight crack in the screen, and that one that was dropped was basically a write off to throw out so I took it.

But if you really want it for testing I may consider sending it your way. I have the complete packaging for it - box, beats headphones, charger, cable.


Anway, thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.
djl236 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #38 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: America
Posts: 71
 
Device(s): Samsung Infuse 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
*shrug*

if he was going to return it relocked he might as well return it unlocked. anyone that cares,and knows enuff to check,will know its been messed with when they see it relocked.
What I was thinking was a long shot. My phone wasnt recognized by any usb ports either until I relocked and ran the ruu. Then I reattempted s-off and it worked. Then the bootloader would say locked, instead of relocked. But what I wasn't thinking at the time was that if he got that far, he wouldn't be returning the phone anyway. So yeah I had a brain fart. Lol
tCizzler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 34
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Sorry, I had not been reading all along.
Scott gave great advise.

Sounds like you suffered hardware damage. Probably from either static electricity or touching the wire to wrong locations. Personally I used a large insulated paper clip with the insulation scraped off a little bit from each end. I eventually learned that it was very important to keep the paper clip vertically very straight int he hole to assure good electrical contact. Once I kept the paperclip very straight it worked quickly within a few tries.

When using ControlBear it replaces your kernel with its own.
Everytime one does a regular boot it will be the black ControlBear screen.

It took me many many tries over many hours on two evenings to get controlbear SOFF to work for my rezound phone. After a few hours on the first evening, I wanted to be able to boot my phone normally.

The answer was to flash the factory boot.img which can be done with a few adb/flashboot commands, or done with Hansoon's all in one tool.

The newest versions of Controlbear has an option to put back the original boot.img.
From a command/DOS prompt "Controlbear.exe -restore"

My guess is - controlbear must save the boot.img from the phone into some windows temporary directory when it starts. There is a separate version of control bear for Rezound GB, Rezound ICS Leak#1, Rezound ICS Leak#2, and Rezound ICS Leak#3. Probably each version has a different hboot. Remember, installing the Controlbear hboot is optional and not necessary.


The list of command/DOS commands are available from "Controlbear.exe -help"

Of course this will not help you now.

It is just what most people should do when he/she wants to stop trying Controlbear and get their phone back to normal.

Howard

P.S. Remember boot and hboot are two totally different things. hboot is the bootloader program, and boot is the operating system's kernel.
howardz2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
*shrug*

if he was going to return it relocked he might as well return it unlocked. anyone that cares,and knows enuff to check,will know its been messed with when they see it relocked.

i personally would attempt to replace the charger port if i had a freee rezound with one that didnt work if youd like to sell it cheap,id be interested in trying it it would be nice to have an s-on phone to test things with

im also not surprised the tool didnt work. theres nothing really special,or magical about it.its just running the same fastboot commands,in an automated process after chosing what you want it to do. it requires the same adb/fsatboot connection that a regular cmd window does. with the other scenario there are alot of different reasons why the regular cmd widow woundnt work and the tool did. since the tool required the same connection we could prolly retrace the steps taken prior aND figure it out.

djl236,sorry we didnt get him goin for you. the whole thing is pretty peculiar,as it certainly appears that the wire trick,or control bear,did something to the port,but i know of folks who did the wire trick literally tens of times,or even over 100 times tryin to get it to work,so it seems if the one caused the other wed see it elsewhere. i wonder if maybe you grounded a diffetent pin at some point,or posibly scraped up the board under the ground hole?

at any rate,its a remarkable coincidence at the very least,and it would be nice to somehow have some answers.

last thing i have to offer is this:
you can still flash roms,youll just have to download to the phone,put the sd in a card reader,or push files to /sdcard2 over adb wireless.

while it is a pain to keep charging in an external charger,and swapping them out,you can easily change between your TB and rezound by changing out the sim card. you dont need to involve anybody at vzw,just power both off and swap it over. while you may not want to use the broken rezound daily,theres certainly nothing wrong with using it now and then to break up the monoteny just somethin to think about
Well. Something similar happened to me but no wires involved.
I downloaded clean rom 1.5, flashed the oldfirmware patch and then flash the PH98IMG.zip that i belive was the kernel. So far so good. I played some ice age village for a while and then went to bed. At the morning i saw it ran out of battery, gave it a charge and then nothing happened while attempting to boot. Took the battery out, charged with an external battery charger and try again.
So far the phone does not boot, does not allow me into recovery and no fast boot. I can only enter things via microsd.
the device is unlocked but S-ON. Hboot is 2.11 and latest version of the sistem is 3.14.605.5.
I tried making some sort of mini ruus (following your ideas) with stock recovery, system and boot with no luck.
Is there any way to relock it via microsd card? I am able to charge it and used to be recognized by the PC but right now it is gone.
I am also not able to get a clean conection via JTAG to wipe some things, and i dont have another phone to read it and then push the dump in this phone. So i am very stucked
Any other ideas?
smarttimes is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #41 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

what happens when you try and boot normally,or enter recovery or fastboot?

my first impressions were that charging the battery with an external charger will let the phone power on and act normally,but your comments about not booting have confused me a lil.

unfortunatly,there is no way to relock the bootloader that i know of,without a working usb.

i think your only option is:
-install a custom recovery as a PH98IMG file. you may need an android info document from the leak ruu,if your rom has changed the main version to something higher than 2.11.605.01,tho id try and pack it with the android info from the stock GB ruu first.
-once you have recovery installed,you can flash the main version tool,and then flash the GB mini-ruu to get back to stock,unlocked. from here you can do a factory reset/clear storage and see if either of those change anything.

if the phone operates normally,but wont charge,you can try sending it back,its very likely no one will notice its unlocked. vzw has stated they do not check returned phones for signs of being rooted.

they check for:
1)damaged shipping packaging
2)physical condition of the phone
3)that it powers on

in a worse case,they will charge you the deductible if you carry the asurion insurance. we have not heard of an instance of someone being charged for bein unlocked or relocked,but its not something we can gaurantee wouldnt happen.

the other option would be to continue charging the batteries manually in the external charger,and moving roms and things you want to falsh to the sd via a card reader,tho you will have to pull the boot image out of the roms designed for s-off flashing,and pack them up yourself to flash in hboot. it will be a minor PITA to mod your phone this way,but techically possible.
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #42 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

(troubleshooting)
Im hoping this may help someone other then me, I was stuck trying to s-off the phone, for some reason, it would hang up on me when I would run controlbear, and then phone would boot to the bootloader, I could not get into recovery, could not boot up the phone at all.. So to fix,
1) relocked bootloader (using Amaze_All-In-One_Kit_V3.2) (look for your all in one kit for your phone the people that made it have several versions out, i did for my sensation as well, same process
2) using the Amaze_All-In-One_Kit_V3.2 I reflashed TWRP Recovery - in which using the all in one kit you can do from bootloader screen, and the program has commands using adb to get into recovery, bootloader, ect, just follow the instrustions on the program its really simple
3) booted into recovery and installed from zip, Energy_8.1.2012.Amaze.Sense.3.6_ICS_STOCK_LOOK or look for your specific energy rom, its really nice, probably one of the best that i have used as of Aug 8th 2012
4) then I rebooted into recovery, and installed from zip, (Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed) for Superuser access, phone is now rooted.

5) then to achieve the s-off, (unlimited.io/juopunutbear-public-beta-0-1/instructions]) and unlimited.io/juopunutbear-public-beta-0-1/instructions/htc-amaze/) for download of the files, now where I was messing up, I was downloading the wrong file to run Controlbear.
a)WINDOWS GB MD5 sums are inside the zip file (FOR GINGERBREAD)
b)WINDOWS ICS MD5 sums are inside the zip file (FOR ICECREAM SANDWHICH)
when I properly used the Icecream Sandwhich file then everything went smoothly, when i was using the GB on the ICS it would freeze up on HTC screen, it would not boot up the phone, it would lock my recovery in where I could not do anything, I had to pull the battery, then reincert, hold down the volume and power to get back into bootloader, then use the all in one program, reflash the recovery, then relock bootloader, and start process all over again, all because I downloaded the wrong program to get the s off, instead of ICS I was using Gingerbread, thats where the locking up is comming from on your s-off attempt ect, basically I was trouble shooting for a couple of days wondering why, and just the slightest oversight caused all my problems. If your following these instructions and did a search for the specific file names that I used then you will be using (b) as well.

if you were running into all of those problems, then you have start over, and relock bootloader ect, to fix everything, but if you have your unlock code in the Amaze_All-In-One_Kit_V3.2 program, it just makes things go 10x faster.

AFTER downloading WINDOWS ICS MD5 and place the contents in your folder you have ADB and Fastboot, run control bear and wait until it says do the wire trick, personally I used a thick twist tie you get off a loaf of bread, (make sure its thick enough, the first one I used was 2 thin and I could not get a short, found a thicker twist tie and worked perfect, when your touching the diagramed spot, basically you touch it twice, fairly quickly, say 1 mississippi then touch again quickly, and your good to go.. NOW youll have S-0ff

6)Go to ([sieempi.eu/blog/2011/09/22/universal-sim-unlock-for-s-offed-htc-devices-536]) and follow the instructions.

E-mail:
Phone type: HTC AMAZE tmobile
IMEI: (to get your IMEI # go to settings, about phone, phone identity or dial *#06#)

THEY WILL EMAIL YOU THE CORRECT FILE... put on root of your SD card, Once you’re there, navigate to Simlock and press Power. The phone will load the file and remove the simlock. Follow the instructions on the phone and reboot when it tells you to. If you get an "OpenCID File Fail" error, this is normal, proceed anyway! Some text will appear on the screen and at a certain point you’ll be asked to press Vol-Up to restart the phone. REMEMBER IF YOU GET "OpenCID File Fail" error ITS COMPLETELY NORMAL AND YOUR SIM UNLOCKED NOW

I cant add links to my post so on some spots youll have to add the h ttp, and the world wide web to start the address

basically after your "So far the phone does not boot, does not allow me into recovery and no fast boot. I can only enter things via microsd.
the device is unlocked but S-ON" youll have to reflash your recovery, then your rom, but to flash your rom, you have to relock your bootloader since your still s-on, once rom is flashed, unlock bootloader again, install superuser, then do the s-off steps again,
Superman7778 is offline  
Last edited by Superman7778; August 8th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #43 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman7778 View Post
(troubleshooting)
Im hoping this may help someone other then me, I was stuck trying to s-off the phone, for some reason, it would hang up on me when I would run controlbear, and then phone would boot to the bootloader, I could not get into recovery, could not boot up the phone at all.. So to fix,
1) relocked bootloader (using Amaze_All-In-One_Kit_V3.2) (look for your all in one kit for your phone the people that made it have several versions out, i did for my sensation as well, same process
2) using the Amaze_All-In-One_Kit_V3.2 I reflashed TWRP Recovery - in which using the all in one kit you can do from bootloader screen, and the program has commands using adb to get into recovery, bootloader, ect, just follow the instrustions on the program its really simple
3) booted into recovery and installed from zip, Energy_8.1.2012.Amaze.Sense.3.6_ICS_STOCK_LOOK or look for your specific energy rom, its really nice, probably one of the best that i have used as of Aug 8th 2012
4) then I rebooted into recovery, and installed from zip, (Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed) for Superuser access, phone is now rooted.

5) then to achieve the s-off, (unlimited.io/juopunutbear-public-beta-0-1/instructions]) and unlimited.io/juopunutbear-public-beta-0-1/instructions/htc-amaze/) for download of the files, now where I was messing up, I was downloading the wrong file to run Controlbear.
a)WINDOWS GB MD5 sums are inside the zip file (FOR GINGERBREAD)
b)WINDOWS ICS MD5 sums are inside the zip file (FOR ICECREAM SANDWHICH)
when I properly used the Icecream Sandwhich file then everything went smoothly, when i was using the GB on the ICS it would freeze up on HTC screen, it would not boot up the phone, it would lock my recovery in where I could not do anything, I had to pull the battery, then reincert, hold down the volume and power to get back into bootloader, then use the all in one program, reflash the recovery, then relock bootloader, and start process all over again, all because I downloaded the wrong program to get the s off, instead of ICS I was using Gingerbread, thats where the locking up is comming from on your s-off attempt ect, basically I was trouble shooting for a couple of days wondering why, and just the slightest oversight caused all my problems. If your following these instructions and did a search for the specific file names that I used then you will be using (b) as well.

if you were running into all of those problems, then you have start over, and relock bootloader ect, to fix everything, but if you have your unlock code in the Amaze_All-In-One_Kit_V3.2 program, it just makes things go 10x faster.

AFTER downloading WINDOWS ICS MD5 and place the contents in your folder you have ADB and Fastboot, run control bear and wait until it says do the wire trick, personally I used a thick twist tie you get off a loaf of bread, (make sure its thick enough, the first one I used was 2 thin and I could not get a short, found a thicker twist tie and worked perfect, when your touching the diagramed spot, basically you touch it twice, fairly quickly, say 1 mississippi then touch again quickly, and your good to go.. NOW youll have S-0ff

6)Go to ([sieempi.eu/blog/2011/09/22/universal-sim-unlock-for-s-offed-htc-devices-536]) and follow the instructions.

E-mail:
Phone type: HTC AMAZE tmobile
IMEI: (to get your IMEI # go to settings, about phone, phone identity or dial *#06#)

THEY WILL EMAIL YOU THE CORRECT FILE... put on root of your SD card, Once you’re there, navigate to Simlock and press Power. The phone will load the file and remove the simlock. Follow the instructions on the phone and reboot when it tells you to. If you get an "OpenCID File Fail" error, this is normal, proceed anyway! Some text will appear on the screen and at a certain point you’ll be asked to press Vol-Up to restart the phone. REMEMBER IF YOU GET "OpenCID File Fail" error ITS COMPLETELY NORMAL AND YOUR SIM UNLOCKED NOW

I cant add links to my post so on some spots youll have to add the h ttp, and the world wide web to start the address

basically after your "So far the phone does not boot, does not allow me into recovery and no fast boot. I can only enter things via microsd.
the device is unlocked but S-ON" youll have to reflash your recovery, then your rom, but to flash your rom, you have to relock your bootloader since your still s-on, once rom is flashed, unlock bootloader again, install superuser, then do the s-off steps again,
so if im understadning this correctly...
1)you needed to be rooted to run juopunutbear
2)you need to follow directions and use the GB file for GB,and ICS file for ICS(whoda thunk?! )
3)if you have prollems with control bear,you recover your phone other ways,besides the directions in Troubleshooting | Unlimited.IO

a couple of things...

i just need to make sure that readers realize these are amaze directions. make sure you do not use amaze files on a rezound.

the rezound is allready sim unlocked.

for amaze,or other locked gsm devices,if the universal unlock site is sending you a factory PxxxDIAG file,be careful with it. it is possible to get yourself stuck in a "flash mode" that you may not be able find the correct file to get out of(read: phone=brick)
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Rezound > Rezound - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.