Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Rezound > Rezound - All Things Root

Like Tree2Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 148
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 32
Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Default OTA Update

So if I am running an ICS rom on the old firmware patch. When the OTA finally gets around to releasing (some people are saying they are getting it today). Can I run a stock rom Nandroid, run the OTA, then flash a nandroid of an ICS rom over the top of it? Or do I need to wipe and install the ROM again and reinstall everything?

Thanks!

Advertisements
icedice34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedice34 View Post
So if I am running an ICS rom on the old firmware patch. When the OTA finally gets around to releasing (some people are saying they are getting it today). Can I run a stock rom Nandroid, run the OTA, then flash a nandroid of an ICS rom over the top of it? Or do I need to wipe and install the ROM again and reinstall everything?

Thanks!
you will need to reinstall your rom,unfortunately,as the nandroids will contain the old firmware patch. thus making them uncompatible with new firmware.
__________________
The Delivery Guy
If someone has helped you,please click the THANKS button on that post.
Please post questions so others can benefit from the answers.
donate to my device fund
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 148
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 32
Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
you will need to reinstall your rom,unfortunately,as the nandroids will contain the old firmware patch. thus making them uncompatible with new firmware.
What if I used Amon Ra to only flash the "data' portion after flashing ROM? or is it in the data portion that the old firmware patch is located?
icedice34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedice34 View Post
What if I used Amon Ra to only flash the "data' portion after flashing ROM? or is it in the data portion that the old firmware patch is located?
the old firmware patch is modifying some files in /system.

you could try restoring only the data partition,but i believe that it wont boot. im fairly certain that amon wipes all partitions automatically prior to a restore,so after restoring /data,you wont have a /system or a /boot to make the rom work

i could be wrong,tho... trying it shouldnt cause any harm. if it doesnt boot,then youll just have to pull the battery,and relaunch recovery to fix it

after some thot,here is what you should do:
-reflash GB backup and take OTA
-restore current backup(dont reboot after)
-wipe cache and dalvik cache
-reflash rom
-reboot

relflashing the rom without a data wipe should preserve your setup,and replace "/system with old firmware patch" with fresh /system install,ready to run on new firmware
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
icedice34 (August 2nd, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 148
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 32
Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
the old firmware patch is modifying some files in /system.

you could try restoring only the data partition,but i believe that it wont boot. im fairly certain that amon wipes all partitions automatically prior to a restore,so after restoring /data,you wont have a /system or a /boot to make the rom work

i could be wrong,tho... trying it shouldnt cause any harm. if it doesnt boot,then youll just have to pull the battery,and relaunch recovery to fix it

after some thot,here is what you should do:
-reflash GB backup and take OTA
-restore current backup(dont reboot after)
-wipe cache and dalvik cache
-reflash rom
-reboot

relflashing the rom without a data wipe should preserve your setup,and replace "/system with old firmware patch" with fresh /system install,ready to run on new firmware

Sounds like a plan. The OTA has released, but doesn't appear everyone can grab it yet, I will try this in a week or two and let you know what happens
icedice34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 34
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Default

If you want to download the RUU using uTorrent,

here is the torrent file:

http://db.tt/u6x0OXgG
howardz2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howardz2 For This Useful Post:
gruss (August 2nd, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toledoish
Posts: 1,412
 
Device(s): Rezound, RAZR, Incredible, X, Bold, Eris..fire...more
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 117 Times in 91 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gruss Send a message via MSN to gruss Send a message via Yahoo to gruss gruss01
Default

Hooray for t torrent and unlimited data! Thanks for the link!
__________________
blah blah blah
gruss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: wi
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): HTC ReZound HTC Droid Incredible Samsung Galaxy Tablet Motorola Droid I
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to ntrnlerror9
Default Error updating to ics

after downloading the ICS update, my phone restarts and i land on the recovery menu and am getting error

verifying current system assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/accountsyncmanager.apk", E:unknown command [b9a36302874fe20264b1147dc97e23989d6b8014",] E:unknown command [f5496")] E:error in cache/fumo/otapkg.zip
status 7
installation aborted

what should i do? do i have to restore factory settings?
revert back to stock or something? i have no clue and am so excited to finaly get the ICS update and now i cant get it working!! please help me
ntrnlerror9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 286
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC Rezound (Retired), HTC Incredible (Retired), Toshiba Thrive, Polaroid tab
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13
Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Default

are you getting the phone icon with red triangle and exclaimation point? I'm stuck there on rooted stock (tried 4 times)
jlb0305 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: wi
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): HTC ReZound HTC Droid Incredible Samsung Galaxy Tablet Motorola Droid I
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to ntrnlerror9
Default

no, its dumping me at Amon Ra recovery screen
ntrnlerror9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 286
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC Rezound (Retired), HTC Incredible (Retired), Toshiba Thrive, Polaroid tab
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13
Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Default

OTA will only work on stock recovery from what i've heard.
jlb0305 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlb0305 For This Useful Post:
NightAngel79 (August 2nd, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
acejavelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 775
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, LG G2
Carrier: Aio/Verizon

Thanks: 27
Thanked 220 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrnlerror9 View Post
no, its dumping me at Amon Ra recovery screen
I think I see the problem... I was under the understanding you had to be BONE STOCK for this to work, but I could be wrong. Amon Ra may be the issue, perhaps you could just flash the RUU?
acejavelin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: wi
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): HTC ReZound HTC Droid Incredible Samsung Galaxy Tablet Motorola Droid I
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to ntrnlerror9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
I think I see the problem... I was under the understanding you had to be BONE STOCK for this to work, but I could be wrong. Amon Ra may be the issue, perhaps you could just flash the RUU?
how do you get to bone stock?
ntrnlerror9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
acejavelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 775
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, LG G2
Carrier: Aio/Verizon

Thanks: 27
Thanked 220 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrnlerror9 View Post
how do you get to bone stock?
I honestly don't know... I have not rooted my Rezound or installed any ROM or recovery so I don't know how to restore it. My best bet would be look in the All things Root area or check the Rezound section of XDA.
acejavelin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sad Bounty Hunter
 
NightAngel79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,494
 
Device(s): HTC OneMax; Note 10.1; DROID DNA (retired);Transformer Prime(daughter); Rezound(retired); Droid In
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13,807
Thanked 6,552 Times in 3,946 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to NightAngel79
Default

you must be completely stock to get OTA to work the way I understand it

moving this to root section
NightAngel79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NightAngel79 For This Useful Post:
scotty85 (August 2nd, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): LG Ally
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default t torrent

do I need a particular program to open the download and how do I install it.
lawizard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 286
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC Rezound (Retired), HTC Incredible (Retired), Toshiba Thrive, Polaroid tab
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13
Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAngel79 View Post
you must be completely stock to get OTA to work the way I understand it

moving this to root section
Any idea why its not working on mine w/ stock bootloader & rooted stock?
jlb0305 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Sad Bounty Hunter
 
NightAngel79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,494
 
Device(s): HTC OneMax; Note 10.1; DROID DNA (retired);Transformer Prime(daughter); Rezound(retired); Droid In
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13,807
Thanked 6,552 Times in 3,946 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to NightAngel79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
Any idea why its not working on mine w/ stock bootloader & rooted stock?
It is my understanding that if you are rooted at all then you just figure on either not getting the ota or it not being able to install.

I'm certainly no expert on this but hope that some of our more advanced root users can better answer this. (Scotty comes to mind, )
scotty85 likes this.
NightAngel79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NightAngel79 For This Useful Post:
scotty85 (August 2nd, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
PhilosoRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft. Knox, KY
Posts: 721
 
Device(s): One M8 (S-Off/rooted)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 109 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardz2 View Post
If you want to download the RUU using uTorrent,

here is the torrent file:

http://db.tt/u6x0OXgG
So this is the exact OTA ICS update that's going out right now? What about the small 7MB or so update that is pushed OTA before ICS is pushed? I'm trying to update my wifes (stock/unrooted) Rezound manually because we live in an extended network area where we roam on a regional carriers towers , so she wont receive the update OTA.

TIA
PhilosoRaptor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 286
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC Rezound (Retired), HTC Incredible (Retired), Toshiba Thrive, Polaroid tab
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13
Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Doors the bootloader need to be relocked fit the ota to work?
jlb0305 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

The fastest/easiest way to get the update if you are failing install from being rooted is by running the ruu executable for the latest Gingerbread version on a PC.

(I failed the install of the 7MB file twice before I did this.)

The file can be found here:

Goo.im Downloads - Downloading RUU_Vigor_VERIZON_WWE_2.01.605.11_Radio_RS_0.95.00 .1123r_3161E_9K_QMR_release_233635_signed.zip

Via Scotty, in this thread -> s-off guide/info/return to stock

HTH,
Dave
DaveHiro is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveHiro For This Useful Post:
NightAngel79 (August 3rd, 2012), scotty85 (August 2nd, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
are you getting the phone icon with red triangle and exclaimation point? I'm stuck there on rooted stock (tried 4 times)
how long are you giving it? it can sit on that screen for awhile sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
OTA will only work on stock recovery from what i've heard.
correct. will NOT work with amon or clockwork permantly installed. this is why i typically recomend the rotoed stock crowd to fastboot boot recovery when they need it,and not fastboot flash it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
I think I see the problem... I was under the understanding you had to be BONE STOCK for this to work, but I could be wrong. Amon Ra may be the issue, perhaps you could just flash the RUU?
you can run the ruu. or you can wait patiently for a .12 ruu to be released,then run that. or you could be impatient and flsh the .10 leak,and then get stuck on it,untill the .12 one comes out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrnlerror9 View Post
how do you get to bone stock?
run the RUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
Any idea why its not working on mine w/ stock bootloader & rooted stock?
honestly... no. ive had OTAs work when rooted,and modified with frozen/deleted apps. i have read reports of OTAs not working when too many apps have been deleted,but i havent verified or disproved it.

it also could possibly be a bad download to the phone(one reason im not real fond of OTAs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
Doors the bootloader need to be relocked fit the ota to work?
no


**one last bit of info,once the phone as downloaded the OTA and tried to apply it,you are prolly SOL if it failed becasuse of a custom recovery. restoring the stock recovery at this point,usually does not apply the OTA.
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
NightAngel79 (August 3rd, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
PhilosoRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft. Knox, KY
Posts: 721
 
Device(s): One M8 (S-Off/rooted)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 109 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardz2 View Post
If you want to download the RUU using uTorrent,

here is the torrent file:

http://db.tt/u6x0OXgG
I'm trying to update my wife's totally stock/unrooted Rezound with the instructions Scotty provided here, but when I go to flash the official update .zip file, I get this in the command prompt window:

Quote:
c:\mini-adb>fastboot flash zip PH98IMG.zip
sending 'zip' (612947 KB)... OKAY [ 77.413s]
writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this i
mage...
INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
Not sure what could be causing this.. I'm guessing because I need that small 7 MB update before this update can be applied? Can't think of anything else, except maybe a corrupt download. But that "remote: not allowed" error makes me think it's some sort of permissions or software issue.
PhilosoRaptor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilosoRaptor View Post
I'm trying to update my wife's totally stock/unrooted Rezound with the instructions Scotty provided here, but when I go to flash the official update .zip file, I get this in the command prompt window:



Not sure what could be causing this.. I'm guessing because I need that small 7 MB update before this update can be applied? Can't think of anything else, except maybe a corrupt download. But that "remote: not allowed" error makes me think it's some sort of permissions or software issue.
im not 100% sure what the 7mb update was that youre refering to,but if youre on 2.01.605.11 then the phone has had all available updates.

assuming by stock,unrooted,you mean stock locked or relocked, then there is an issue with the download.

im unfamiliar with torrents,so im not sure what howardz has posted a link to. it could be an unsigned by htc file,or it could be a corrupt download.

unless howard has some advice on torrents,you might just download from the link in post #21 and see if that works. goo.im should be a pretty fast download.
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by scotty85; August 2nd, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
PhilosoRaptor (August 2nd, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:05 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
PhilosoRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft. Knox, KY
Posts: 721
 
Device(s): One M8 (S-Off/rooted)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 109 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
im not 100% sure what the 7mb update was that youre refering to,but if youre on 2.01.605.11 then the phone has had all available updates.

assuming by stock,unrooted,you mean stock locked or relocked, then there is an issue with the download.

im unfamiliar with torrents,so im not sure what howardz has posted a link to. it could be an unsigned by htc file,or it could be a corrupt download.
I'm referring to the 7.1MB OTA update that they pushed out that your phone apparently needs before you can receive the actual ICS OTA update.

I'm not sure what that version number you mention is referring to, but when I'm in Fastboot/bootloader, it says it's on "HBOOT-2.1.0000". Should that be on 2.01.605.11? EDIT: I found what you're talking about; in the software info on the phone, she's on "Software number 2.01.605.11". So yeah, she's on the latest GB update, so she should be ready for this ICS update.

Yes, by stock/unrooted, I mean the phone is LOCKED as indicated in the bootloader at the top of the screen. I have never touched her phone as far as rooting/s-off/unlocking goes. I want her to have as stable of a phone as possible, so I don't mess with her phone for all that. I waste too much time ROMing my Gnex to mess with her Rezound anyways, heh.

I was afraid of the file being unsigned judging by the filename of the .zip (rezound_AndroidPolice_3.14.605.12_PH98IMG.zip). I doubt HTC would put "Android Police" in the file name, heh. I tried re-downloading it again and am still getting the same error. There was no MD5 hash listed for it either for me to compare it to. I didn't even open or rename the .zip file. Would you happen to have a direct download link for the offical ICS update?

Thanks!
PhilosoRaptor is offline  
Last edited by PhilosoRaptor; August 3rd, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:26 AM   #26 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

thanks for the link,i hadnt read that bit about being 2 seperate updates. tomoro ill have to roll my phone back and see if i can get it to download them, so i can see what they are.

the RUUs wont need to have the small update,they should include it. the ruu is all the images,while the OTA is patch files,and firmware. the small update is likely something needed to preserve the users data prior to changing the fimrware and software in the next update.(running an ruu will wipe all data,including the internal sd)

i hadnt realized android police have released the .12 update,i thot you were trying to install .10 or one of the older leaks. there is no official from htc RUU(in the form of a .exe file) just yet,but the one from AP is a signed,legit file.

wich leads us to prossibly being a bad download.

here are a couple more links,if you havnet seen them:
Verizon Confirms HTC Rezound ICS OTA In Official Update Document, Includes The Changelog For Good Measure
and
[Exclusive Download] HTC Rezound Ice Cream Sandwich RUU For Final OTA (3.14.605.12)

that second one contains a few(likely sloooow) download links.

last and lot least,ignore the bit about using the download link in past 21,its for the current build,not the ICS update. you would use it to get back to stock GB in order to OTA.

the number i referenced is the software build number,that you can find in about phone. the hboot you have(2.11.0000) is consistent with that build.

unless ive missed it above somewhere, im not seeing any reason your wifes phone wont recieve the OTA naturally,if you give it a few days
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by scotty85; August 3rd, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
PhilosoRaptor (August 3rd, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
PhilosoRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft. Knox, KY
Posts: 721
 
Device(s): One M8 (S-Off/rooted)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 109 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
thanks for the link,i hadnt read that bit about being 2 seperate updates. tomoro ill have to roll my phone back and see if i can get it to download them, so i can see what they are.

the RUUs wont need to have the small update,they should include it. the ruu is all the images,while the OTA is patch files,and firmware. the small update is likely something needed to preserve the users data prior to changing the fimrware and software in the next update.(running an ruu will wipe all data,including the internal sd)

i hadnt realized android police have released the .12 update,i thot you were trying to install .10 or one of the older leaks. there is no official from htc RUU(in the form of a .exe file) just yet,but the one from AP is a signed,legit file.

wich leads us to prossibly being a bad download.

here are a couple more links,if you havnet seen them:
Verizon Confirms HTC Rezound ICS OTA In Official Update Document, Includes The Changelog For Good Measure
and
[Exclusive Download] HTC Rezound Ice Cream Sandwich RUU For Final OTA (3.14.605.12)

that second one contains a few(likely sloooow) download links.

last and lot least,ignore the bit about using the download link in past 21,its for the current build,not the ICS update. you would use it to get back to stock GB in order to OTA.

the number i referenced is the software build number,that you can find in about phone. the hboot you have(2.11.0000) is consistent with that build.

unless ive missed it above somewhere, im not seeing any reason your wifes phone wont recieve the OTA naturally,if you give it a few days
Thanks a lot for the info and links. I just realized if I install any of those RUU files, that it will wipe her data. I don't want to do that. Is there no way to manually update it without wiping data? The reason why I'm trying to manually install the update is because we live in an "Extended network" area where we roam on another regional carriers towers, so the phone won't receive any OTA updates in this area . Native Verizon coverage is 30 mins away and we rarely go out that way.

Thanks again!
PhilosoRaptor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

oooh,that sucks. are you sure that being outside of vzws native range will prevent the OTA? your not actually acumulating roaming cahrges are you?

until you fid yourself near vzw towers it wouldnt hurt to keep checking the update status while in wifi. ive actually gotten my thunderbolt to download and apply updates over wifi,when it was not even an active phone

unfortunately,there is no way to update the phone that i know of,that wont wipe all her data
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
PhilosoRaptor (August 3rd, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:20 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toledoish
Posts: 1,412
 
Device(s): Rezound, RAZR, Incredible, X, Bold, Eris..fire...more
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 117 Times in 91 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gruss Send a message via MSN to gruss Send a message via Yahoo to gruss gruss01
Default

^^^^^^
I can second that, your phone should update on wifi the normal way without wiping. My wifes razr was acutallly on wifi when the ICS update hit her phone last month don't know why it would be different for Rezound. And I remember a while ago messing around trying to brick an old Eris, line wasn't active but update popped up.
gruss is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gruss For This Useful Post:
PhilosoRaptor (August 3rd, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 286
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC Rezound (Retired), HTC Incredible (Retired), Toshiba Thrive, Polaroid tab
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13
Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
how long are you giving it? it can sit on that screen for awhile sometimes.
I gave it about 15+mins (it sat there while I was driving home). So your saying it could stay on red triangle for a while then start back up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
it also could possibly be a bad download to the phone(one reason im not real fond of OTAs)
Any idea how I could clear it out and download a good copy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
**one last bit of info,once the phone as downloaded the OTA and tried to apply it,you are prolly SOL if it failed becasuse of a custom recovery. restoring the stock recovery at this point,usually does not apply the OTA.

I had stock recovery w/ rooted stock. only booted to AmonRA didn't flash it. Any way to remove root w/o flashing the RUU, since I'm on stock?

If it helps error my update is getting is 410 in status after it fails. looking at VZW forums they just suggested doing a data wipe (on non-rooted phones). May try that see if it helps.

Did anyone else have rooted stock (unlocked hboot, didn't flash recovery, rooted factory stock) and have the OTA work fine?
jlb0305 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:50 AM   #31 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
I gave it about 15+mins (it sat there while I was driving home). So your saying it could stay on red triangle for a while then start back up?
it could... but prolly not after 15 minutes. i was thinking more like 5ish minutes. basically give it more than 30 seconds


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
Any idea how I could clear it out and download a good copy?
wipe /cache. you can boot amon and wipe cache and dalvik,or i believe the stock recovery does have an option to wipe cache.

doing this will not gaurantee an immeidiate redownload,however.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
I had stock recovery w/ rooted stock. only booted to AmonRA didn't flash it. Any way to remove root w/o flashing the RUU, since I'm on stock?
you dont need to remove root. if you have deleted a bunch of vzw apps and bloat,this could be part of the prollem. when i first got my rezound,i got an OTA with apps frozen,rooted,and unlocked. it worked fine. i had rreflash superuser and refreeze all the apps,but there were no issues.

i have had folks telling me that deleting certain apps or too many apps can cause prollems. i cant say for sure if thats true or not. your best bet honestly may be to just run the ruu,unless you have a pretty unmolested stock backup you can restore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
If it helps error my update is getting is 410 in status after it fails. looking at VZW forums they just suggested doing a data wipe (on non-rooted phones). May try that see if it helps.

Did anyone else have rooted stock (unlocked hboot, didn't flash recovery, rooted factory stock) and have the OTA work fine?
im going to roll back to GB shortly,and see if i can get my phone to do it.
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
jlb0305 (August 3rd, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM   #32 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

How do you root the official ics? Restored ny rezound to stock and upgraded and installed amon ra and unlocked my bootloader. Installed Su and super user but no root apps work and root checker says I'm not rooted. Help me Scotty!!!!!
jwbolfer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:15 AM   #33 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbolfer View Post
How do you root the official ics? Restored ny rezound to stock and upgraded and installed amon ra and unlocked my bootloader. Installed Su and super user but no root apps work and root checker says I'm not rooted. Help me Scotty!!!!!
check out my posts in this thread: Root Stock ICS With S-Off

scratch that. if youve unlocked allready,you dont need to read that whole thread,you just need ICS compatible superuser:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by scotty85; August 3rd, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
NightAngel79 (August 3rd, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:20 AM   #34 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't have s-off tho. Kinda scared of touching parts with wire and shorting it out
jwbolfer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:28 AM   #35 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

you dont need s-off. just use the superuser i linked,flash it in recovery just like you did 3.0.7
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:36 AM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
PhilosoRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft. Knox, KY
Posts: 721
 
Device(s): One M8 (S-Off/rooted)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 109 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
oooh,that sucks. are you sure that being outside of vzws native range will prevent the OTA? your not actually acumulating roaming cahrges are you?

until you fid yourself near vzw towers it wouldnt hurt to keep checking the update status while in wifi. ive actually gotten my thunderbolt to download and apply updates over wifi,when it was not even an active phone

unfortunately,there is no way to update the phone that i know of,that wont wipe all her data
No, we've lived here for over a year now and I've never heard of Verizon penalizing you for not being on their network.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can't receive the OTA while in their Extended Network. When I go to the "update" (I don't have the phone with me now, so I'm not sure if that's the exact verbage, but I think it was the second option from the bottom) options in the main settings menu, the "check for update" (again, not sure on the verbage) button is grayed out and it actually says "Roaming" under that button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruss View Post
^^^^^^
I can second that, your phone should update on wifi the normal way without wiping. My wifes razr was acutallly on wifi when the ICS update hit her phone last month don't know why it would be different for Rezound. And I remember a while ago messing around trying to brick an old Eris, line wasn't active but update popped up.
See above. I actually received the 4.0.2 update on my Galaxy Nexus over WiFi when I first got it too (was the first OTA for it and was pushed on launch day), it wasn't even activated on the carrier or had a SIM card in it at the time. I figured since it was a Nexus phone, it pulled its updates directly from Google and not Verizon. So I'm not sure if different phones pull updates differently or what..? I'm thinking maybe your Razr wasn't roaming, so it actually found the update from the carrier, then was able to download it on WiFi once it knew where to pull the OTA from. No idea, just a guess. But the Rezound doesn't even let you check for updates while you're roaming, the button is greyed out and it says "Roaming" under it.
PhilosoRaptor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:00 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 286
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC Rezound (Retired), HTC Incredible (Retired), Toshiba Thrive, Polaroid tab
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13
Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilosoRaptor View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can't receive the OTA while in their Extended Network.
I think the update PDF has instructions for what to do if your roaming. I think it says to do the wifi thing. Don't rememeber off hand.


Gave up on fixing my issue and ran the RUU. Hoping i can get the OTA now. If not I guess I gotta find a good ICS ROM.

Update: After Running the RUU I was able to get start installing the update (7 mb one). Note: to even get data service back after RUU i had to reboot a few times, then turn off and back on mobile data.
once ICS is installed I'm gonna have to re-unlock and reroot to get all my data/apps back. This time I am def going to take a stock image with NANdroid prior to root in case this is an issue if/when JB is pushed.
jlb0305 is offline  
Last edited by jlb0305; August 3rd, 2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Update
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlb0305 For This Useful Post:
PhilosoRaptor (August 3rd, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:26 AM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
PhilosoRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft. Knox, KY
Posts: 721
 
Device(s): One M8 (S-Off/rooted)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 109 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
I think the update PDF has instructions for what to do if your roaming. I think it says to do the wifi thing. Don't rememeber off hand.


Gave up on fixing my issue and ran the RUU. Hoping i can get the OTA now. If not I guess I gotta find a good ICS ROM.
It seems you're right. Odd that it didn't let me manually check for an update while on WiFi then. I guess I'll wait a few days to see when/if it comes over WiFi.

Thanks!
PhilosoRaptor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 01:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): HTC Rezound
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 67
Thanked 89 Times in 59 Posts
Question

Quote:
after some thot,here is what you should do:
-reflash GB backup and take OTA
-restore current backup(dont reboot after)
-wipe cache and dalvik cache
-reflash rom
-reboot

relflashing the rom without a data wipe should preserve your setup,and replace "/system with old firmware patch" with fresh /system install,ready to run on new firmware
Scotty, is there any significant advantage to going from running ICS on patched GB firmware to running ICS on the new firmware? Just wondering whether I should bother going back to stock to get the OTA. Don't really want to run the RUU right now because I'd have to back up my SD card first and it's about to be the weekend

I have an old bare-bones GB backup and my current backup is newts with the old firmware patch applied. Would the instructions you gave (quoted above) work for my situation?
obscuro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 286
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC Rezound (Retired), HTC Incredible (Retired), Toshiba Thrive, Polaroid tab
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13
Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Scotty/Anyone

In locking, running the RUU, and then reunlocking i now have the "tampered" label. Is there a way to remove the "tampered" label (if I need to ever do a phone exchange, Not looking to do S-off.)
jlb0305 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #41 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
Scotty/Anyone

In locking, running the RUU, and then reunlocking i now have the "tampered" label. Is there a way to remove the "tampered" label (if I need to ever do a phone exchange, Not looking to do S-off.)
if you relock,run a stock ruu,the tampered should disapear,as long as you dont re-unlock. at least,i think thats how it went. its been awhile now since ive been s-on.

it comes from,at some point,unlocking on ICS and installing a custom recovery.

also,there is no way to get back to locked without s-off. best you can do is relocked,so unfortunately,ther is going to be telltale signs in hboot for those that know to look.
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #42 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuro View Post
Scotty, is there any significant advantage to going from running ICS on patched GB firmware to running ICS on the new firmware? Just wondering whether I should bother going back to stock to get the OTA. Don't really want to run the RUU right now because I'd have to back up my SD card first and it's about to be the weekend

I have an old bare-bones GB backup and my current backup is newts with the old firmware patch applied. Would the instructions you gave (quoted above) work for my situation?
i like to think running the actual ICS firmware makes things a lil smoother and faster. but it could well be the placebo affect its something i personally would want to eventually do,but i cant really say i think there would be significant,noticAble difference.

if you want to update,the above directions should work fine for you as well
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
obscuro (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 4th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 286
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC Rezound (Retired), HTC Incredible (Retired), Toshiba Thrive, Polaroid tab
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13
Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
if you relock,run a stock ruu,the tampered should disapear,as long as you dont re-unlock. at least,i think thats how it went. its been awhile now since ive been s-on.

it comes from,at some point,unlocking on ICS and installing a custom recovery.

also,there is no way to get back to locked without s-off. best you can do is relocked,so unfortunately,ther is going to be telltale signs in hboot for those that know to look.
S-OFF doesn't look too hard. To update for OTAs with S-OFF is it as hard as what I had to do with just unlocked & rooted? (Relock, run ruu, and update to ics, then reunlock and re-root)
jlb0305 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #44 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
S-OFF doesn't look too hard. To update for OTAs with S-OFF is it as hard as what I had to do with just unlocked & rooted? (Relock, run ruu, and update to ics, then reunlock and re-root)
if youre on ICS now,there isnt really a reason to roll back,as juopunut bear will work on ICS,you just need to be unlocked and rooted. use a small spare sd card for the process,and make sure youve looked at the troiubleshooting page,so you know how to get your phone back if you decide youve had enuff in the middle of it: Troubleshooting | Unlimited.IO

after the process,id prolly reccomend running the newest ruu again,and hit the "clear storage" option in hboot immediately after,with the stock recovery still in place.

at that point you can install a recovery,and restore a backup of what youre running now,or flash a new rom.

just do not unlock again after s-off.
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #45 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedice34 View Post
What if I used Amon Ra to only flash the "data' portion after flashing ROM? or is it in the data portion that the old firmware patch is located?
ics,just an FYI, i tried this and it worked fine. i even used it in the manual update guide: [how to] manually update to ICS without losing data

so if you wanted,you could:
-take OTA
-reflash rom
-restore data portion only

maybe 6 of 1,half dozen of the other,but just thot id let you know either way works
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #46 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilosoRaptor View Post
It seems you're right. Odd that it didn't let me manually check for an update while on WiFi then. I guess I'll wait a few days to see when/if it comes over WiFi.

Thanks!
if you havent seen it yet,here are the files and a way you can update manually: [how to] manually update to ICS without losing data
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): HTC Rezound
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 67
Thanked 89 Times in 59 Posts
Default

OK, scotty was right. If you restore a nandroid backup, even if you just select the data partition, amon ra wipes the others.

So for example, to install ViperRez over stock ICS, I had to:

1) Restore nandroid
2) Flash viperrez rom in amon ra custom recovery
(it gives you an option during the viperrez install to reboot to bootloader if you are S-ON, but I stupidly ignored this)
3) If your ROM didn't flash a boot image for you, you need to do it through the PH98IMG.zip method. I extracted the viperrez rom zip, found the PH98IMG.zip, placed the PH98IMG.zip on the root of the sdcard, then rebooted into the stock bootloader. It asked me if I wanted to go ahead with the update, I pressed VOL UP for yes.

EDIT: Still getting bootloops when it starts to load the home screen. What do I need to do? I have the boot.img from viperrez, but don't know where to flash that.

EDIT2: Tried fastboot flash boot [ROM's boot.img filename here] ; fastboot reboot ; still bootlooping. Scotty? HELP!

EDIT3: OK, after I was about ready to give up, I did 'Clear Storage' from bootloader and I finally booted up OK. What does Clear Storage do exactly? haha

EDIT4: Well that got the phone to boot, but I don't have any of my apps data. Like, it grabbed my wallpaper but I don't have what I need to restore a titanium backup. So I still need help.
obscuro is offline  
Last edited by obscuro; August 6th, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuro View Post
OK, scotty was right. If you restore a nandroid backup, even if you just select the data partition, amon ra wipes the others.
no... i was wrong. i restored just the data on my stock GB rom when making the manual updat guide,and it worked fine. as long as you only restore data,it should work. i flashed miniRUU,flshed superuser,restore data,and all my system apps were back that id deleted,along with all the apps and such that were there before
So for example, to install ViperRez over stock ICS, I had to:

1) Restore nandroid
2) Flash viperrez rom in amon ra custom recovery
(it gives you an option during the viperrez install to reboot to bootloader if you are S-ON, but I stupidly ignored this)
3) If your ROM didn't flash a boot image for you, you need to do it through the PH98IMG.zip method. I extracted the viperrez rom zip, found the PH98IMG.zip, placed the PH98IMG.zip on the root of the sdcard, then rebooted into the stock bootloader. It asked me if I wanted to go ahead with the update, I pressed VOL UP for yes.

EDIT: Still getting bootloops when it starts to load the home screen. What do I need to do? I have the boot.img from viperrez, but don't know where to flash that.
i think you were getting bootloops becasue you flsahed viperrez over newts. clear storage prolly worked becasue it wiped out all the personal data that was left over from your newts nandroid.

EDIT2: Tried fastboot flash boot [ROM's boot.img filename here] ; fastboot reboot ; still bootlooping. Scotty? HELP!
im sure you figured it out,but for others that see it,if the boot image is named "boot.img" then the command is simply:
fastboot flash boot boot.img


EDIT3: OK, after I was about ready to give up, I did 'Clear Storage' from bootloader and I finally booted up OK. What does Clear Storage do exactly? haha
something magical.

the stock recovery apparetnly has the ability to wipe parts of the phone that a custom recovery cannot. the stock recovery is also able to somehow install firmware,wich custom recoveries do not,so it stands to reason the stock recovery has a few tricks up its sleeve i believed it worked in your case becasue it cleared out the residual perosnal data from newts rom.

EDIT4: Well that got the phone to boot, but I don't have any of my apps data. Like, it grabbed my wallpaper but I don't have what I need to restore a titanium backup. So I still need help.
hopefully you made a backup of newts before starting to update?

this is prolly not exactly what youll want to see,but the best thing,IMO:
1)wipe and restore working newts backup. before rebooting,wipe cache and dalvik,and reflash the same version of newts rom,so that it will work with new firmware.
2)once youre in your working backup,use titanium to backup apps and app data only.
3)make a backup of working newts rom,in case you want to come back to it,you wont have to reflash the rom over your old backup to get it working on new fimrware.
4)reinstall viperrez
5)restore aps with titanium. wallpapers,ringtones,etc. should remain unmollested on the sd card.

and for anyone else watching,make sure youre fastboot booting recovery each time(i know you know that )
obscuro likes this.
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by scotty85; August 6th, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
obscuro (August 6th, 2012)
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): HTC Rezound
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 67
Thanked 89 Times in 59 Posts
Default

I'm going to make a poster that says, "Fastboot boot is your friend."


Quote:
3)make a backup of working newts rom,in case you want to come back to it,you wont have to reflash the rom over your old backup to get it working on new fimrware.
The only thing about flashing newts is the script is built to do a full wipe. So my old newts backup worked after doing a full wipe and restoring it, but then when I tried to reflash newts over it, I no longer had any apps.

But I remember you said something about my old newts backup (taken from ICS on GB) would retain some of the GB firmware patch?

So I'm at a loss of what I need to do before flashing viperrez again.

EDIT: From my fresh newts-on-ics rom, I'm going to try restoring just the data from my old newts backup, since you said that may work. Then going to try doing a titanium backup and backing up new rom like you said. Do I need to do anything between doing an up-to-date backup of working newts and flashing viperrez?

EDIT2: After doing a TiBu and a nandroid of my new newts setup, I then wiped cache/DC and flashed viperrez. Still getting bootloops. I'm sure I'm missing something simple here.

EDIT3: Wiped /boot and /system, then flashing viperrez. See if that works.

EDIT4: Then I tried wiping cache in stock recovery, then wiping dalvik-cache and rebooting. No go. So back to fresh viperrez with no apps, for now, need my phone for work. Still want to get to the apps in that TiBu to save me a lot of grief!
obscuro is offline  
Last edited by obscuro; August 6th, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #50 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,018
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuro View Post
I'm going to make a poster that says, "Fastboot boot is your friend."


The only thing about flashing newts is the script is built to do a full wipe. So my old newts backup worked after doing a full wipe and restoring it, but then when I tried to reflash newts over it, I no longer had any apps.

But I remember you said something about my old newts backup (taken from ICS on GB) would retain some of the GB firmware patch?

So I'm at a loss of what I need to do before flashing viperrez again.

EDIT: From my fresh newts-on-ics rom, I'm going to try restoring just the data from my old newts backup, since you said that may work. Then going to try doing a titanium backup and backing up new rom like you said. Do I need to do anything between doing an up-to-date backup of working newts and flashing viperrez?
restoring data from newts to newts should work. no,you dont need to do anything special,just use tibu or my backup to backup your apps

EDIT2: After doing a TiBu and a nandroid of my new newts setup, I then wiped cache/DC and flashed viperrez. Still getting bootloops. I'm sure I'm missing something simple here.
sounds like youre still flashing viper over newt with no data wipe. not going to work

EDIT3: Wiped /boot and /system, then flashing viperrez. See if that works.
still need to wipe /data to go from newt to viper

EDIT4: Then I tried wiping cache in stock recovery, then wiping dalvik-cache and rebooting. No go. So back to fresh viperrez with no apps, for now, need my phone for work. Still want to get to the apps in that TiBu to save me a lot of grief!
if you got a tibu backup of your apps,why cannot you now simply restore them? you will have to manuall set some phone settings,ringtones,etc. but all your apps will at least be there.

just make sure you dont restore anything other than user apps+their associated app data. no not restore any system data or ANYTHING other than user apps or youll be back in the same boat you were with the no data wipe dirty flashes

so,given newts wipes your data,you could try(if you still need a good tibu app backup)
-restore newts. backup newt data(dont really even need to boot it,i wouldnt think)
-full wipe,install newt. install backed up newt data
-boot phone. if it works,rejoice
-backup user apps with tibu
-make good nandroid of newts in case you need it
-fresh install viper
-restore user apps with tibu
scotty85 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Rezound > Rezound - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.