Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Rogers

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mjschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In my house.
Posts: 1,272
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus S, Asus Transformer Prime, HTC Magic, Moto Flipout, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Default ATTN: Voice Dialer/Search now missing after 911bugfix update!

Two users have now confirmed that the Voice Dialer app that originally shipped as stock on the Rogers HTC Dream and Magic appears to be GONE after the update.

This means you will NOT be able to use the phone hands free in the car. Even though the Voice Dialer was not perfect, it still allowed for using the voice search by holding down the Call key to launch the voice dialer and saying "Call XXXX". That function is now GONE.

It is illegal to use your phone in your car while driving if you can not use it hands free.

A user reports that the Top Voice Control app from the market does still work. I am currently using this app without having the update yet, and I like it (allows for autoconfirmation when only one result is returned). I use it with my Blue Tooth headset, however since this bluetooth functionality may have been specific to the Rogers ROM it might also be gone, we have yet to confirm.

Can anyone else please post their results trying to use TopVoiceControl with bluetooth after update?

To clarify re Voice Dialer, the icon is apparently gone, and holding down the Call button brings up the dial pad, NOT voice search!

This would mean that Voice Search is gone from the phone also?

Advertisements
__________________
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mjsoctober

Google+
mjschmidt is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Im sensing lawsuit yet again. Now their "update" has made it impossible to make handsfree calls while driving (wthout a headset)? Great... now dream/magic users can pick one:
A) No data, no 911 BUT you get to use your phone in your car legally
B) Data, 911 ... can't use it legally while driving with ease.

Once again, Rogers fail.
cmetaphor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mjschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In my house.
Posts: 1,272
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus S, Asus Transformer Prime, HTC Magic, Moto Flipout, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmetaphor View Post
Im sensing lawsuit yet again. Now their "update" has made it impossible to make handsfree calls while driving (wthout a headset)? Great... now dream/magic users can pick one:
A) No data, no 911 BUT you get to use your phone in your car legally
B) Data, 911 ... can't use it legally while driving with ease.

Once again, Rogers fail.
To be clear, as mentioned above, it is still possible to use voice search if you download and install TopVoiceControl from the market: TopVoiceControl v1.3.0 Application for Android | Tools

However we need to confirm if it will still work with BlueTooth, and as another user has pointed out, if the Dev updates this app to 1.6 or above, we will lose it from the marketplace.
mjschmidt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

You mean they took this away?::

vikingisson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mjschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In my house.
Posts: 1,272
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus S, Asus Transformer Prime, HTC Magic, Moto Flipout, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Yes, two users have checked and can not find the Voice Dialer icon, nor does Voice Search/Dialer launch when they hold down the Call (hard) button on the phone.

Are you using the update, or is your screen shot from a rooted phone?
mjschmidt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

That was B.U., Before Update. (on 1.6)
vikingisson is offline  
Last edited by vikingisson; January 26th, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingisson View Post
You mean they took this away?::

Yes! It is GONE. But don't worry.....

Like mjschmidt already stated, install TopVoiceControl (plus the necessary TTS - don't worry, it will get it for you)... and you are all set. It is essentially the same as what you had prior to the UI update. Except now you get better automation and a really cheesy robotic speech. Is that horrible speech configurable?
sconnelly is offline  
Last edited by sconnelly; January 26th, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

BTW, If you still don't have your DATA plan back, after the UI update.... I found that powering the phone down (and pulling the battery?) will solve this problem. I had my data plan back about 2 hours after the UI update (aka immediately after I power cycled the phone).
sconnelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

I think that's the voice dialer I have, I do have the TTS engine. All kinds of text to speech and whatnot apps. Some good, some just fun. Even one for translation.

@sconnelly, I do have my data working by the pull battery method, since Friday night I think. But I'm still getting the emergency text messages and the robot phone call saying that I must update or my data that's been "off" since the 21'st won't come back. ok, but it is working. They turned me back on but don't think I'm updated, or is just a general message. as long as it continues to work I'm happy.

To bring it back on topic perhaps I should program the speech engine to talk back to the robot the next time it calls me.
vikingisson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

The HTC people widget can be setup to perform one touch dialing. This may be a viable alternative if you don't have many people that you would need to dial from the car.
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mjschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In my house.
Posts: 1,272
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus S, Asus Transformer Prime, HTC Magic, Moto Flipout, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Default

AnyCut can also be used to create one-touch dialing icons, however with the Voice Dialer and TopVoiceControl Before-Update (B.U.) you could use your BT headset to initiate calls by pressing the button on the BT Headset. As I understand it this was particular to the Rogers ROM.

Can anyone with a BT headset and TopVoiceControl installed WITH the update please test to see if calls can still be initiated from the BT headset button?

Also, can TVC be initiated from holding the Call button like before the update?
mjschmidt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschmidt View Post
AnyCut can also be used to create one-touch dialing icons, however with the Voice Dialer and TopVoiceControl Before-Update (B.U.) you could use your BT headset to initiate calls by pressing the button on the BT Headset. As I understand it this was particular to the Rogers ROM.

Can anyone with a BT headset and TopVoiceControl installed WITH the update please test to see if calls can still be initiated from the BT headset button?

Also, can TVC be initiated from holding the Call button like before the update?
I tried with my wired headset and the long button press no longer calls up the voice dialer. This worked prior to the UI update. I will check BT when I get home but I suspect it may not work as well. I'll post an update in about two hours (unless someone beats me).

BTW, what is with that terrible TTS voice? Is there anything better?
I posted a separate message about this here: Voice dialer for Android - TTS IS TERRIBLE!

BTW, I posted some
sconnelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschmidt View Post
Also, can TVC be initiated from holding the Call button like before the update?
Yes, that works but like I said, it no longer works from my wired headset (with a call button)!

The only function that works with the headset call button is a double click to call last dialed number.
sconnelly is offline  
Last edited by sconnelly; January 26th, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): HTC Dream Rogers
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

I only had my Magic for one day before I did the upgrade, but before that I didn't really pay attention to the voice dialer app because it was barely functional at best. The day after I did the update I just happened to notice that the voice dialer was gone. I thought maybe it was replaced with something more useful. Nope. Then I looked at my SD card. At some point when I was using my Dream, I backed up every app to the SD card. Sure enough the app was on the SD card. Using Apps Installer I was able to install the voice dialer back on to my phone. So I have the voice dialer on my updated Magic. Unfortunately it is still as useless as ever. Say what you want about my old Motorola Razr, at least it had a functioning 'hands-free' voice dial.
ace862 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace862 View Post
Using Apps Installer I was able to install the voice dialer back on to my phone. So I have the voice dialer on my updated Magic. Unfortunately it is still as useless as ever. Say what you want about my old Motorola Razr, at least it had a functioning 'hands-free' voice dial.
That is classic! That tells me that there was a decision made to remove it. I wonder why, I'd like to hear the official reason. It exists in the newer versions and keeps getting better, to the point where it can replace the keyboard (talking about the speech to text engine) in many apps.
vikingisson is offline  
Last edited by vikingisson; January 26th, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mjschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In my house.
Posts: 1,272
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus S, Asus Transformer Prime, HTC Magic, Moto Flipout, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace862 View Post
Unfortunately it is still as useless as ever. Say what you want about my old Motorola Razr, at least it had a functioning 'hands-free' voice dial.
@ace862 See this thread: Voice Dialer - Not really a voice dialer?
mjschmidt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

maybe that's why it was removed. It is really a general purpose speech to text engine (a pretty good one too) but lacks the mini app for proper voice dialing at least hands free as people expect. I had different expectations since I don't use it for dialing and have no desire for dialing at all while driving.
vikingisson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace862 View Post
I backed up every app to the SD card. Sure enough the app was on the SD card. Using Apps Installer I was able to install the voice dialer back on to my phone. So I have the voice dialer on my updated Magic.
do you happen to have this file to share ?
virtualahmad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mjschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In my house.
Posts: 1,272
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus S, Asus Transformer Prime, HTC Magic, Moto Flipout, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Default

UPDATE: A dream user remarked on my blog that his Dream does have Voice Dialing.

Can any Dream users confirm if they have the Voice Dialer after the update?
mjschmidt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

btw, i am on fido, and Issues I have with the new ROM:

* shows me as roaming (when i called rogers to tell them, he said it is the first he has heard of it)
* the weather has preset canandian cities which cannot be deleted (delete is greyed out as is the add button, so i can't add any cities either)
* because it is roaming, i have to enable allow roaming data, for data to work
* this doesn't have the voice search... which is back to the topic at hand.

does anyone have the apk for the voice search feature?
virtualahmad is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): HTC Dream Rogers
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualahmad View Post
do you happen to have this file to share ?
If you PM me your email, I will see what I can do when I get home in the morning.
ace862 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): HTC Magic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Yes, the Voice Dialer is gone from my Magic too after the 911 update.
I installed Choice Dialer from the Market but it can only be activated by the Call button on the phone. A tap on the bluetooth headset doesn't do anything anymore.
Maxxy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mjschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In my house.
Posts: 1,272
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus S, Asus Transformer Prime, HTC Magic, Moto Flipout, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxy View Post
Yes, the Voice Dialer is gone from my Magic too after the 911 update.
I installed Choice Dialer from the Market but it can only be activated by the Call button on the phone. A tap on the bluetooth headset doesn't do anything anymore.
Thanks for the update, Maxxy.

Can someone using Top Voice Control who has a BT headset please test to see if you can start TVC by pressing the button on the BT headset? Currently on my Magic with NO update I _can_ do this. I want to know if the 911BugFix kills the BT functionality.
mjschmidt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschmidt View Post
Thanks for the update, Maxxy.

Can someone using Top Voice Control who has a BT headset please test to see if you can start TVC by pressing the button on the BT headset? Currently on my Magic with NO update I _can_ do this. I want to know if the 911BugFix kills the BT functionality.
I didn't have top voice control installed before the update, but since they took away the voice search with the update, after installing the update I have installed top voice control. The BT button does NOT initiate anything for me. That said, it didn't initiate anything before either (but that was without top voice control).
virtualahmad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mjschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In my house.
Posts: 1,272
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus S, Asus Transformer Prime, HTC Magic, Moto Flipout, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualahmad View Post
I didn't have top voice control installed before the update, but since they took away the voice search with the update, after installing the update I have installed top voice control. The BT button does NOT initiate anything for me. That said, it didn't initiate anything before either (but that was without top voice control).
Just to clarify, my BT headset on my Magic with NO update _will_ initiate a search from the headset button with both Voice Dialer and TVC.

We also need to confirm the following: Is Voice Dialer missig from BOTH phones or only the Magic? Dream owners are reporting they still have Voice Dialer, which would make sense if VD is removed because of Sense UI?
mjschmidt is offline  
Last edited by mjschmidt; January 27th, 2010 at 09:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): Dream with the 1.5 911 update fail.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I own a Dream with the 911 update. I still have voice dialer.
EvilGuyWhoEatsBrains is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschmidt View Post
Just to clarify, my BT headset on my Magic with NO update _will_ initiate a search from the headset button with both Voice Dialer and TVC.
So it could just be I have a cheap BT because it didn't initialize Voice Dialer before the update either. Or it could have been the ROM I had... but unfortunately I don't even know what ROM I had before. Sorry can't be of more help.
virtualahmad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): HTC Dream Rogers
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

With my Dream before the update, my Bluetooth headset (MotorolaH375) was hit and miss. Sometime it would bring up the voice dialer prompt but I found mostly it would just dial the last number called. Actually, lately it just started dialing the last number called as soon as I turned on the headset. I've downloaded Top Voice Control and I'll try to play around with it today. I'll let you know how it goes.
Just a thought here, but has anyone mentioned to HTC the voice dialer issue. I would think this is more their fault than Rogers, but yes, Rogers should have caught it before it was released. Especially with today's hands-free laws.

*EDIT* - I see someone has brought this up to HTC. http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/69/t/328.aspx
ace862 is offline  
Last edited by ace862; January 27th, 2010 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschmidt View Post
Thanks for the update, Maxxy.

Can someone using Top Voice Control who has a BT headset please test to see if you can start TVC by pressing the button on the BT headset? Currently on my Magic with NO update I _can_ do this. I want to know if the 911BugFix kills the BT functionality.
Unfortunately, I can confirm that TopVoiceControl will not activate through BT (or a wired remote headset). And yes, it did initiate before the Sense UI update.

Yet another FAIL!

See my other msg here: Rogers Update: 911 Fix for Rogers HTC Dream and Magic is Ready

Is this the last update we will ever see for these Android phones?
sconnelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #30 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnelly View Post
Is this the last update we will ever see for these Android phones?
Not sure if i can answer that, but my question is will we want another update
virtualahmad is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mjschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In my house.
Posts: 1,272
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus S, Asus Transformer Prime, HTC Magic, Moto Flipout, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Default

I still have not updated, and given what I see happening now, I might just cancel my data plan and root my phone!
mjschmidt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschmidt View Post
I still have not updated, and given what I see happening now, I might just cancel my data plan and root my phone!
My question about this idea is... will Rogers disconnect your data plan if you root?

The current consensus is that Rogers forced this update because they wanted to get rid of the rooted/updated phones.

So much for me not wishing to believe there was an ulterior motive behind all this nonsense.
sconnelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): HTC Magic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

So, I escalated the problem about the missing Voice Dialer to HTC. Here is the response:

------------------------
Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Support. My name is Liz and I will be happy to answer your questions regarding the voice dialer not being available after the 911 update for your Rogers Magic. I understand how important it is, especially with the hands-free laws in place, for you to be able to dial using the voice dialer. You may want to try a factory data reset on the device to clear up any possible software issues that may have occurred. You can do this by going into Settings > Security > Factory Data Reset and follow the on-screen prompts. PLEASE NOTE: This will delete all personal data from the device and restore it back to factory default settings. If after the hard reset the voice dialer is still not available, then it might have been removed from this update.
blah-blah-blah
------------------------
As you can see the first line support is pretty useless as usual. Do you guys think it's worth it to try a factory reset? Because honestly I don't think it'll make any difference and I don't want to go through pain of restoring and configuring everything again.

Maxxy
Maxxy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxy View Post
So, I escalated the problem about the missing Voice Dialer to HTC. Here is the response:

------------------------
Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Support. My name is Liz and I will be happy to answer your questions regarding the voice dialer not being available after the 911 update for your Rogers Magic. I understand how important it is, especially with the hands-free laws in place, for you to be able to dial using the voice dialer. You may want to try a factory data reset on the device to clear up any possible software issues that may have occurred. You can do this by going into Settings > Security > Factory Data Reset and follow the on-screen prompts. PLEASE NOTE: This will delete all personal data from the device and restore it back to factory default settings. If after the hard reset the voice dialer is still not available, then it might have been removed from this update.
blah-blah-blah
------------------------
As you can see the first line support is pretty useless as usual. Do you guys think it's worth it to try a factory reset? Because honestly I don't think it'll make any difference and I don't want to go through pain of restoring and configuring everything again.

Maxxy
One word: LAZY!

I used to do technical support. If I had a question like this, I would call over to the engineering department and either ask for the release notes or specifically ask an engineer.

Don't do the reset, it isn't going to magically appear.
sconnelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Angry The reason why TopVoiceControl (et al) will not initiate through Bluetooth!

I have bad news for everyone!

There is a reason why we cannot initiate voice dialing through Bluetooth using a program like TopVoiceControl.

It seems that with all versions of Android (up to 2.x), the Android team left this control out of their code. Meaning, this is going to be impossible until the idiots at Google see fit to fix this major fail.

See: Issue 1412 - android - [VoiceDial] Bluetooth "voice dial" event doesn't launch Voice Dialer - Project Hosting on Google Code
and Issue 1181 - android - [VoiceDial] Voice confirmation for Voice Dialer - Project Hosting on Google Code

I call them idiots because (like MANY other important issues), they seem to be ignoring all these important issues. The problem was reported back in 2008! Some of you folks certainly have a lot of patience with the droid.... and I will never understand why...
sconnelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): HTC Magic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnelly View Post
I have bad news for everyone!

There is a reason why we cannot initiate voice dialing through Bluetooth using a program like TopVoiceControl.

It seems that with all versions of Android (up to 2.x), the Android team left this control out of their code. Meaning, this is going to be impossible until the idiots at Google see fit to fix this major fail.

See: Issue 1412 - android - [VoiceDial] Bluetooth "voice dial" event doesn't launch Voice Dialer - Project Hosting on Google Code
and Issue 1181 - android - [VoiceDial] Voice confirmation for Voice Dialer - Project Hosting on Google Code

I call them idiots because (like MANY other important issues), they seem to be ignoring all these important issues. The problem was reported back in 2008! Some of you folks certainly have a lot of patience with the droid.... and I will never understand why...
Bad news indeed. But keep in mind that there was some kind of voice dialing within the original 1.5. Does it mean that somewhere between 1.5 and 1.5-Sense this function was deleted by Google?
Maxxy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxy View Post
Bad news indeed. But keep in mind that there was some kind of voice dialing within the original 1.5. Does it mean that somewhere between 1.5 and 1.5-Sense this function was deleted by Google?
I acknowledge that this may seem like a contradiction (agreed, it did function prior to the Sense UI update) but Google has been guilty of withholding code and updated SDKs in the past (re: ADC I and II - http://www.fiercedeveloper.com/story/android-gets-closed-minded/2008-07-21). Perhaps only the Android team have the ability to do this...and 3rd party programs do not??

I am just guessing.
sconnelly is offline  
Last edited by sconnelly; January 27th, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #38 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Icefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 22
 
Device(s): HTC Dream 1.5 +911
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My voice dialer is working perfectly (dream + 911) can't complain about that at least LOL
Icefaery is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mjschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In my house.
Posts: 1,272
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus S, Asus Transformer Prime, HTC Magic, Moto Flipout, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnelly View Post
I have bad news for everyone!

There is a reason why we cannot initiate voice dialing through Bluetooth using a program like TopVoiceControl.

It seems that with all versions of Android (up to 2.x), the Android team left this control out of their code. Meaning, this is going to be impossible until the idiots at Google see fit to fix this major fail.

See: Issue 1412 - android - [VoiceDial] Bluetooth "voice dial" event doesn't launch Voice Dialer - Project Hosting on Google Code
and Issue 1181 - android - [VoiceDial] Voice confirmation for Voice Dialer - Project Hosting on Google Code

I call them idiots because (like MANY other important issues), they seem to be ignoring all these important issues. The problem was reported back in 2008! Some of you folks certainly have a lot of patience with the droid.... and I will never understand why...
@sconnolley: To clarify, NON-Rogers Android Roms (ie G1 and MyTouch) did not get the bluetooth functionality. It is apparently fairly unique to the _Rogers_ 1.5 Rom. In fact in other threads many people were jealous of the Rogers BT ability we got with out phones. I can only assume HTC added this when they did the Rogers customization.

It appears that it was removed when Sense UI was added to 1.5 for the Magic.

To be clear, I have a Rogers HTC Magic with 1.5, and I have NOT applied the update yet, and I have been using Voice Dialer and Top Voice Control with my BT headset for months.

HTC put it in for Rogers, then they took it out (on purpose or by accident we don't know) when they added Sense UI to this update.
mjschmidt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
puleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 215
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate / Google Nexus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
puleen
Default

All the more reasons for my wanting Rogers to provide a list of things which were included or taken away in this update.
__________________
http://puleen.com
puleen is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschmidt View Post
@sconnolley: To clarify, NON-Rogers Android Roms (ie G1 and MyTouch) did not get the bluetooth functionality. It is apparently fairly unique to the _Rogers_ 1.5 Rom. In fact in other threads many people were jealous of the Rogers BT ability we got with out phones. I can only assume HTC added this when they did the Rogers customization.

It appears that it was removed when Sense UI was added to 1.5 for the Magic.

To be clear, I have a Rogers HTC Magic with 1.5, and I have NOT applied the update yet, and I have been using Voice Dialer and Top Voice Control with my BT headset for months.

HTC put it in for Rogers, then they took it out (on purpose or by accident we don't know) when they added Sense UI to this update.
This is a rather convoluted situation!

It appears that there was once originally something unique on our HTC/Rogers phones. Because this is a major issue with all the other Android phones.

Now we are in the same boat as all other Android owners.

My questions are: How did we have this feature (when everyone else did not) AND why did we now lose that feature?

Time to STAR those issues.
sconnelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Greely, ON
Gender: Male
Posts: 106
 
Device(s): HTC ONE X - ICS 4.0 Asus Transformer TF101 - ICS 4.0
Carrier: Rogers

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I installed Top Voice Control and it works to initiate as expected by long pressing the green call button. Clicking on my BT headset button just initiates dialing the last number dialed and does not bring up the voice app.
SouthofOttawa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): HTC Dream Rogers
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

This was posted today on the HTC Support Forum:
Quote:
Posted by HeavenLee on 28 Jan 2010 10:36 AM

The Voice Dial will be added back to the device in the upcoming MR but it will be the same one that was on the device previous, it will still require on screen confirmation of your command. Check Market to see if there is one there that better suits you.
Can be found here: Voice dialing - HTC Magic (Rogers) - Android Forums - HTC Community

Checking the market to see if there was a better one would be nice if we had access to paid apps. But that's another can of worms.
ace862 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace862 View Post
This was posted today on the HTC Support Forum:


Can be found here: Voice dialing - HTC Magic (Rogers) - Android Forums - HTC Community

Checking the market to see if there was a better one would be nice if we had access to paid apps. But that's another can of worms.

There is a better one. It is called Voice Dialer HF: Voice Dialer HF v1.2.1-1 Application for Android | Tools

But it isn't just about not having access to the paid market (don't count on anytime soon!) but worse, this app is only available for OS 2.x!

I also checked the Mobentoo Marketplace (SlideME)... despite this, I highly recommend that all Android owners get the SlideME app here: SlideME | Android Community and Application Marketplace
sconnelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #45 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Victoria
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): HTC Magic (Android 2.1 with HTC Sense UI)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnelly View Post
I also checked the Mobentoo Marketplace (SlideME)... despite this, I highly recommend that all Android owners get the SlideME app here: SlideME | Android Community and Application Marketplace
Thanks for the tip about SlideME!
davidelewis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #46 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I, like the rest of us, lost the voice dialer when I upgraded. I have just uploaded the app Choice Dialer and it works pretty good. I have found that app to be quite responsive when I loaded its widget to the screen. I just tap it once and I get instant access to the dialer which is quite accurate. It also works when you press the dial button but I have found that you need to keep the button pressed until the name is recognized...not required when you use the widget. Hopes this helps.....
Ostromar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #47 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Voice Dialer

Ok all, i have a Magic, and the voice dialer worked ok before the update (with ALL 3 of my bluetooth headsets). After the update, the Voice Dialer has officially disappeared. HTC has acknowledged this, and promised that it will be back with the new Android 2.0 OS update schedule to release by end of June, FOR THE MAGIC...

With the new FW update, i downloaded the TopVoice app, and it works through the phone, and NOT through bluetooth headsets (none of the 3). As someone stated before, it'll only call the last number if I tap the power button twice.

Now, seeing as this is useless to me, and i only got the Magic in August/09, not even 6 months, I called up Rogers, and after acknowledging that HTC screwed Rogers customers over, Rogers is (after making sure you clearly stated your case) willing to provide you with a new peice of hardware (smartphone) for a 3 year term price... remember, i JUST renewed my contract.

I had to renew my contract again (extended by 6 months basically), which is no big deal as i've been a rogers customer forever, but they do acknowledge the inconvenience of this, as I do work from my car, and phone calls have to be made... the voice dialer took away the the hassle of dialilng on the touch screen...

So, i'm now waiting for my E71, and when the update comes, i'll go back to the Magic... hope this helps!
arabdream is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 40
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I installed the Voice Dialer .apk from the old ROM, as well as the rooted Cursordroid ROM that is basically the Rogers update for the Magic, only rooted and repacked. Both installed on the phone ok and would initialize. however, it was not able to "hear" my speech, even with a simple "call Voicemail" command. Just perpetual listening. So, looks like the apk can be installed but there is some framework missing to make it any kind of use at all.

On the other hand, if you want the Google Search by Voice.apk (not voice dial but the actual Google websearch by Voice that was always missing from the Rogers' stock ROMs), head over to this link.
Eclosion For Android
Scroll down and look under the FAQ heading, right above the Releases heading.
This is the installable .apk from Euro Android Market that installs all the proper files necessary to work. Launch the app once, via the icon in your app drawer, then reboot the phone and you should have Google Search by Voice on the Search button of your phone, instead of Rogers'/HTC's crappy search by nothing.
AdamG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #49 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): HTC Magic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
I installed the Voice Dialer .apk from the old ROM, as well as the rooted Cursordroid ROM that is basically the Rogers update for the Magic, only rooted and repacked. Both installed on the phone ok and would initialize. however, it was not able to "hear" my speech, even with a simple "call Voicemail" command. Just perpetual listening. So, looks like the apk can be installed but there is some framework missing to make it any kind of use at all.

On the other hand, if you want the Google Search by Voice.apk (not voice dial but the actual Google websearch by Voice that was always missing from the Rogers' stock ROMs), head over to this link.
Eclosion For Android
Scroll down and look under the FAQ heading, right above the Releases heading.
This is the installable .apk from Euro Android Market that installs all the proper files necessary to work. Launch the app once, via the icon in your app drawer, then reboot the phone and you should have Google Search by Voice on the Search button of your phone, instead of Rogers'/HTC's crappy search by nothing.
Great finding AdamG! Voice search now works like a charm. Thank you!
Maxxy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #50 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Victoria
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): HTC Magic (Android 2.1 with HTC Sense UI)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
On the other hand, if you want the Google Search by Voice.apk (not voice dial but the actual Google websearch by Voice that was always missing from the Rogers' stock ROMs), head over to this link.
Eclosion For Android
Wow! Thanks for the awesome tip! I installed it and it works like a charm ...
davidelewis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Rogers
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.