Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Behold 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default What should a phone be able to do in 5-10 years?

Some discussion in another thread has me thinking, what do we think a phone will be able to do, should be able to do in like 5 years or 10 years. Think how far they have come in the past 10 years. I consider my Behold 2 a pretty advanced piece of electronic technology.

Here are some things I'd like to see:

built in radar detector
projector
universal remote control ability (including home electronics and my car)
video output via BT or WiFi or USB
thinner, like really thin

sponsored links
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Behold II

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaz4sun View Post
Some discussion in another thread has me thinking, what do we think a phone will be able to do, should be able to do in like 5 years or 10 years. Think how far they have come in the past 10 years. I consider my Behold 2 a pretty advanced piece of electronic technology.

built in radar detector
projector
Run Android 2.2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fallenturtle For This Useful Post:
Mastermind278 (June 28th, 2010), paul89 (June 28th, 2010), suyash1 (June 28th, 2010)
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Mytouch 4G

lmao, um... laser that can burn through stuff, nuclear battery that last a year.
The Following User Says Thank You to paul89 For This Useful Post:
inaz4sun (June 28th, 2010)
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:

built in radar detector
projector - Check
universal remote control ability (including home electronics and my car) - Check
Two things on your list are already starting to show up on phones.

Anyway a phone hopefully will take over credit cards, fold-able display, no need for wall charging, voice command as the primary input function, and a weird crazy idea would be a phone in sunglasses with front facing camera and video screen.
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul89 View Post
lmao, um... laser that can burn through stuff, nuclear battery that last a year.

Yeah better battery technology is needed for some many things. C'mon scientists, put all your efforts into this. I want a nuke battery that like lasts forever, or something that lasts a month at least. Think of how great this would be for SO many devices.
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Razr, BN Nook Color (running CM 7). Formerly Droid Incredible I and Samsung Behold II (POS).

Holography and the ability to hover.

Seriously, the main improvements will be in battery and screen technology, and probably solar power (assuming apple acts on there patents). I'm guessing a continuation of AMOLED technology, but brighter with batter lifespan.

4g coverage will be standard, and there will be more mobile media options (hulu, netflix, etc).

Oh, and built in lightsabers.
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Behold II 1.6 galaxy BH_MAN R9 ROM Motorola Cliq XT 1.5 w/ MotoBlur

suyash100@gmail.com

phone that comes with gun. so you go into samsung building and if they still say no update just shoot them. lol
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Razr, BN Nook Color (running CM 7). Formerly Droid Incredible I and Samsung Behold II (POS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoace View Post
Two things on your list are already starting to show up on phones.

Anyway a phone hopefully will take over credit cards, fold-able display, no need for wall charging, voice command as the primary input function, and a weird crazy idea would be a phone in sunglasses with front facing camera and video screen.
Taking over credit cards is pretty unlikely, would you really want all your credit cards, bank cards, etc be in one easily stolen package?

Voice input will never be the primary input method, it'll never be that accurate, it's hard to edit. Just about every phone on the market includes atleast limited voice command, and so do GPS, etc. Almost nobody uses them (yes, somepeople do, but a very small minority of users). Air gesture control maybe, virtual tablet (reads a stylus or pen writing on a piece of paper, or surface).

I'm surprised they don't have cell phone sunglasses already. It'd basically be a fashion item, but not a bad idea. And I'd except to be able to buy either wired (or hopefully) bluetooth HUD projector glasses/sunglasses. Not in place of a screen (be a problem if you need to use your phone while driving, or somewhere you can't put on sunglasses), but that would be a sweet feature.
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

How about it just downloads the latest updates quickly, efficiently and first time. Exactly as you would expect it to.

No, I guess that's just asking too much.
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Google Nexus S, moto Zn5 as a back up

Self charge like the Ulysses Nardin Android phone.

Finger print scanner for a locking feature like the Ulysses Nardin Android Phone

Umm.... Basically I just want a knock off of that phone that costs lesser than $1K
sponsored links
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by euph_22 View Post
Taking over credit cards is pretty unlikely, would you really want all your credit cards, bank cards, etc be in one easily stolen package?

Voice input will never be the primary input method, it'll never be that accurate, it's hard to edit. Just about every phone on the market includes atleast limited voice command, and so do GPS, etc. Almost nobody uses them (yes, somepeople do, but a very small minority of users). Air gesture control maybe, virtual tablet (reads a stylus or pen writing on a piece of paper, or surface).

I'm surprised they don't have cell phone sunglasses already. It'd basically be a fashion item, but not a bad idea. And I'd except to be able to buy either wired (or hopefully) bluetooth HUD projector glasses/sunglasses. Not in place of a screen (be a problem if you need to use your phone while driving, or somewhere you can't put on sunglasses), but that would be a sweet feature.

They actually do have cell phone sunglasses and cell phone/tv watches already they are just not popular in America.

And The credit card thing is not dangerous as you describe. Its would be just like having the apps on your phone you login and logoff nobody is stupid enough to leave their account open all day and even if they do banks log you out after a few seconds or a minute of inactivity.
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

make a phone call.

just kidding...we won't talk to others at all in 10 years.
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

You've probably seen this already...

This video is somewhat old, that said 5-10yrs... maybe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Neoxalucard For This Useful Post:
suyash1 (June 28th, 2010)
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Vibrant

I'd like a phone that is fully featured and waterproof. Also couple days of battery life would be sweet.
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANdroid View Post
I'd like a phone that is fully featured and waterproof. Also couple days of battery life would be sweet.
Yeah, I'd buy that. Also something ruggedized that isn't hideously ugly.
Old June 30th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANdroid View Post
Yeah great idea, make it waterproof and float and be able to take pictures/video underwater.
Old June 30th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah great idea, make it waterproof and float and be able to take pictures/video underwater.
Ok, that'd be hard. Water has different optical properties, so you can't use the same fixed lens for both air and water.

I'll like optical zoom on the camera.
Last edited by euph_22; June 30th, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Behold II w/ BH_MAN Galaxy 1.6 FiNaL and Samsung Vibrant (Rooted)

This may be a silly thought but also could be really useful. If there is a projector built into the phone, then why not have a projectable keyboard as well. It would make typing SOOOOO much easier. Just my thought.

see: ThinkGeek :: Bluetooth Laser Virtual Keyboard
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Hmm the next 5-10 years

Android phones will be tri-core and quad core processors

Phones will use that thin foldable lcd

4 inch screens will be a standard

16gb of internal storage will be standard

external storage will rise to 64gb

Phones will all be with front facing camera's

Phones will be universal remotes.

phones will be able to display in 3D

Phones will have 8mp camera with flash
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I'd say storage capacity will go up a lot higher than that. Considering how far we have come in the last 5-10 years. My first flash card, which I bought in like 2002 was 64MB, now I have a 16GB and there are 32GB in common supply. I suspect that internal memory will be over 100GB and external cards will be also above 100Gb or more.

My first computer's hard drive in 1991 had a 40MB hard drive. That's right 40MB. :-)
sponsored links
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Behold II

Quote:
My first computer's hard drive in 1991 had a 40MB hard drive. That's right 40MB. :-)
You're first computer had a hard drive? Luxury!
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I'd say storage capacity will go up a lot higher than that. Considering how far we have come in the last 5-10 years. My first flash card, which I bought in like 2002 was 64MB, now I have a 16GB and there are 32GB in common supply. I suspect that internal memory will be over 100GB and external cards will be also above 100Gb or more.

That would be nice to have 100gb's internal but thats unrealistic for 5-10 years especially in a phone.

they barely started putting gb's in the phones.

I say 32gb or 64gb max for internal for the next 5-10 years. Even 64gb is a bit much for the next 5-10 years though.
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by euph_22 View Post

They already have some phones that you can use as your credit card in Japan, and are growing in popularity. I saw people waving there phones in front of vending machines and bus turnstiles.
Old July 5th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenturtle View Post
Uhm, yeah. Vic 20 was my first computer. The Commodore 64 had already kicked it's ass. For those of you who don't know, that's 20KB of memory vs. 64KB. Hard drive? We didn't even have a floppy. A year later, I got a tape drive. A magnetic tape that took eons to save anything.

Who here remembers this:

10 Print "Your Name"
20 goto 10

And you were friggin thrilled to see your name on the screen?

BTW, I'm 35 years old. Not an old fart by any stretch. That's the way it was back in the day.

In 1989 I got the quantum leap to the Tandy 1000; 384KB of memory and TWO 5 1/4 floppies! Yes, the disks were actually floppy back than, thus, the name, "floppy."

No, that wasn't a 386 (totally different animal). And no, it didn't have a hard drive. What happened in a power surge or when you couldn't save? You lost hours of work, that's all. I've got 16 gigs in my palm now and unlimited data in the cloud? Dude, I'm in the Jetson's era now!

who here can relate?
The Following User Says Thank You to Streetman For This Useful Post:
fjmustak (July 5th, 2010)
Old July 5th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetman View Post
Uhm, yeah. Vic 20 was my first computer. The Commodore 64 had already kicked it's ass. For those of you who don't know, that's 20KB of memory vs. 64KB. Hard drive? We didn't even have a floppy. A year later, I got a tape drive. A magnetic tape that took eons to save anything.

Who here remembers this:

10 Print "Your Name"
20 goto 10

And you were friggin thrilled to see your name on the screen?

BTW, I'm 35 years old. Not an old fart by any stretch. That's the way it was back in the day.

In 1989 I got the quantum leap to the Tandy 1000; 384KB of memory and TWO 5 1/4 floppies! Yes, the disks were actually floppy back than, thus, the name, "floppy."

No, that wasn't a 386 (totally different animal). And no, it didn't have a hard drive. What happened in a power surge or when you couldn't save? You lost hours of work, that's all. I've got 16 gigs in my palm now and unlimited data in the cloud? Dude, I'm in the Jetson's era now!

who here can relate?
I remember floppy disks lol I always hated it because the metal slider would always get freaking bent if you misplaced them although I can't remember much of what I put on them though. Err mainly pictures is all I can remember. We have most certainly came a long ways in a decade. I mean mp3 music wasn't even too popular not too long ago. I remember cassette tape and vhs I am only 19. I remember when you wanted to record a show you had to keep it on that channel lol I also remember when the Sony Walkman was the iPod of today.
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Behold II, HTC T-Mobile Mytouch Slide (Black)

I did a project on this, and in order to see what i have to say, you have to open your mind to what you consider a cellphone.

the cellphone is a form of communication, its method has been altered time to time.

We used to communicate through mail, then tapping lines, then phone lines (remember those phones that you had to turn the round dial?) well that phone then changed its form to cordless phones, and cordless phones brought about the thought of a cellphone.

Cellphones then became more advanced by integrating other features.

Research Web 3.0 (which is project of google), they are inventing a semantic web. "A web that understands you"

The voice command function that we all oversee will get a great boost when it can understand what you want, and learn your preferences.

Then tools will be made to better suite the new web, and communication will then get a new face.
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleal2010 View Post
I did a project on this, and in order to see what i have to say, you have to open your mind to what you consider a cellphone.

the cellphone is a form of communication, its method has been altered time to time.

We used to communicate through mail, then tapping lines, then phone lines (remember those phones that you had to turn the round dial?) well that phone then changed its form to cordless phones, and cordless phones brought about the thought of a cellphone.

Cellphones then became more advanced by integrating other features.

Research Web 3.0 (which is project of google), they are inventing a semantic web. "A web that understands you"

The voice command function that we all oversee will get a great boost when it can understand what you want, and learn your preferences.

Then tools will be made to better suite the new web, and communication will then get a new face.

Dude why over think it? A cell phone is simply a wireless mobile device that uses broadband networks to transmit data from one person to another. Lol
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus S, Asus Transformer Prime, HTC Magic, Moto Flipout, HTC Dream

My 5-10 year prediction:

1. We will be calling them Smart "Devices", not "Phones". In the past we bought cell phones to make calls while mobile, and over time other non-calling features were added. Now we have little computers that can also be used to me phone calls. We are stuck in the mindset that these are phones first, mobile computing devices second. Breaking this mindset will truly help these devices to improve.

2. Your mobile device will become your portable computer. They will be able to connect to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse wirelessly (via BT, WiFi, or some new technology). As long as you have these external devices present, you can walk up, plop down your phone, have it connect automagically, and use your "computer". You get in your car to go to work, put the phone in the cradle and BOOM... heads up display, voice controlled. You get to work, and put your phone down on your desk, BOOM... you can access your phone and its system as a virtual computer in a window on your work computer. You get home, walk in and put your phone down next to your big-screen TV or desktop monitor/keyboard setup, BOOM... instant work station.

Google+
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FR35H View Post
Dude why over think it? A cell phone is simply a wireless mobile device that uses broadband networks to transmit data from one person to another. Lol
lol, No i did a project on this for my engineering class. It was on the advancement of communication.

I didn't over think it, it was required of me research what the future way of communicating will be like.

Cisco is working on getting the TV video chat thing going, and once we can make video chat usable with all types of cellphones (iphone too) and connect to cams plugged into PCs and Cisco's Tv video chat, there will be a new way to communicate.
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschmidt View Post
My 5-10 year prediction:

1. We will be calling them Smart "Devices", not "Phones". In the past we bought cell phones to make calls while mobile, and over time other non-calling features were added. Now we have little computers that can also be used to me phone calls. We are stuck in the mindset that these are phones first, mobile computing devices second. Breaking this mindset will truly help these devices to improve.

2. Your mobile device will become your portable computer. They will be able to connect to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse wirelessly (via BT, WiFi, or some new technology). As long as you have these external devices present, you can walk up, plop down your phone, have it connect automagically, and use your "computer". You get in your car to go to work, put the phone in the cradle and BOOM... heads up display, voice controlled. You get to work, and put your phone down on your desk, BOOM... you can access your phone and its system as a virtual computer in a window on your work computer. You get home, walk in and put your phone down next to your big-screen TV or desktop monitor/keyboard setup, BOOM... instant work station.
I'd hate to burst your bubble but your prediction won't be in 10 years, its going to happen in the next year.

Cisco is working a video chat pad. It works like a ipad but with video chat capabilities. You can take it with you, and when you get to your office, you can set it on your phone adapter. Its only a matter of months that it will be able to be docked on a mini computer set up (which includes the mouse, keyboard, and maybe even a processor, which would make the tablet act like maybe just as a display and charge itself at the same time.

The future of communication will be for more different that we can imagine. Right now, may of you just think about what a cellphone could work with, but the future will change the way it looks, acts and does.

No more phone firsts in the future. We will transgressing to a computer first world and everything else will just be an add-on or extra.

This is because, we as humans, want to control everything in our lives.
sponsored links
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
lol, No i did a project on this for my engineering class. It was on the advancement of communication.

I didn't over think it, it was required of me research what the future way of communicating will be like.

Cisco is working on getting the TV video chat thing going, and once we can make video chat usable with all types of cellphones (iphone too) and connect to cams plugged into PCs and Cisco's Tv video chat, there will be a new way to communicate.
Oh... Lol

Sounds like basically a Tv with a webcam going over wifi. Technically can't we already do this?
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
I'd hate to burst your bubble but your prediction won't be in 10 years, its going to happen in the next year.

Cisco is working a video chat pad. It works like a ipad but with video chat capabilities. You can take it with you, and when you get to your office, you can set it on your phone adapter. Its only a matter of months that it will be able to be docked on a mini computer set up (which includes the mouse, keyboard, and maybe even a processor, which would make the tablet act like maybe just as a display and charge itself at the same time.

The future of communication will be for more different that we can imagine. Right now, may of you just think about what a cellphone could work with, but the future will change the way it looks, acts and does.

No more phone firsts in the future. We will transgressing to a computer first world and everything else will just be an add-on or extra.

This is because, we as humans, want to control everything in our lives.
What I want from the Mobile world are kits like barebone desktops but where you can create your own phone and choose the features etc that would be true innovation. I hope the same goes for laptops as well soon. If they did that it would be hot. Consumer in control of what they want. hey would have assortments of pieces from the smallest of screens to the biggest screens, different types of screens, different processors etc I would be like a kid a gd'damn candy store man.

I can't wait ill it happens although it may not be happening for another 20-30 years lol if it doesn't happen I will make it possible.
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh... Lol

Sounds like basically a Tv with a webcam going over wifi. Technically can't we already do this?
yes however, right now the architect of it is through links such as:

Webcam>Tv>Wifi>Server>Wifi>Tv>Webcam

> ="Connects to"

In the future, the "System" will rule everything

Webcam>subSystem1
Tv>subSystem2

webcam2>subSystem3
TV2>subSystem4

subSystem1&2 > MainSystem
subSystem3&4 > MainSystem

right now servers can just control html, and other files or information

in the future, the system will be able to control all that you allow it to control, hardware and software, and it will learn your preferences, moods, (personalities for those with split personalites lol),

So there will be no need for searching through tv channels.

It will be able to detect who you are, and turn on the tv for you right to the lakers game when you come home. It will also automatically record the show if your not home in time without you telling it and if you decide to search through channels, it will skip channels it knows your dislike such as (ok here come the hate comments) W.E. or C-Span.
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #34 (permalink)

P.S. in case you havent notice, in order for a SYSTEM as big as I claim to ever be created, one would need a horizontal reach on all electronical and software products.

I'll give you a hint, its number one right now!

ok more clues?

its responsible for android.

The system would need to be able to work with phones, computers, browsers, the internet, voicemail, music, searching, applications, instant messaging, documents, calendar, websites.

I know what google is trying to do. Its trying to become the SYSTEM.
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
P.S. in case you havent notice, in order for a SYSTEM as big as I claim to ever be created, one would need a horizontal reach on all electronical and software products.

I'll give you a hint, its number one right now!

ok more clues?

its responsible for android.

The system would need to be able to work with phones, computers, browsers, the internet, voicemail, music, searching, applications, instant messaging, documents, calendar, websites.

I know what google is trying to do. Its trying to become the SYSTEM.
I am okay with google becoming the system so long as the government doesn't get their hands on it. Now that would be a nightmare.
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
yes however, right now the architect of it is through links such as:

Webcam>Tv>Wifi>Server>Wifi>Tv>Webcam

> ="Connects to"

In the future, the "System" will rule everything

Webcam>subSystem1
Tv>subSystem2

webcam2>subSystem3
TV2>subSystem4

subSystem1&2 > MainSystem
subSystem3&4 > MainSystem

right now servers can just control html, and other files or information

in the future, the system will be able to control all that you allow it to control, hardware and software, and it will learn your preferences, moods, (personalities for those with split personalites lol),

So there will be no need for searching through tv channels.

It will be able to detect who you are, and turn on the tv for you right to the lakers game when you come home. It will also automatically record the show if your not home in time without you telling it and if you decide to search through channels, it will skip channels it knows your dislike such as (ok here come the hate comments) W.E. or C-Span.
That would be nice but I don't see it being that automatic in 5-10 years. They would at least have to use voice to search and such.

Reminds me of this one clip I saw the other day actually lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoUJvAQg7KI
Last edited by 2FR35H; July 9th, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old July 10th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #37 (permalink)

Device(s): EVO 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenturtle View Post
LOL!!! My first computer required two 5 1/4" disks to boot and it took about 5 minutes--every time. Another three minutes every time it wrote back to Lotus 123... LOL!!
Kernel: 2.6.34.25-bcblend bcarter20@bcarter20-laptop #3
Recovery: ClockworkMod v2.5.0.1
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #38 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid DNA, Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, Google Nexus 7 (32GB Model)
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

built in radar detector
projector
I would like to see a phone that is able to get reception everywhere I go.

I went camping this week in a State Park (small one too) and my phone did not work the whole time even though I seen people on their phones while there. I had to drive for 5 miles once leaving the park to get one bar!
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #39 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Yeah like the ability to switch to a sat signal when out of range of a cell tower. That would be awesome.
Old July 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
That would be nice but I don't see it being that automatic in 5-10 years. They would at least have to use voice to search and such.

Reminds me of this one clip I saw the other day actually lol
YouTube - My TiVo thinks I'm Gay

lol, that was funny.

I think the system would be more advanced than that lol.
sponsored links
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
lol, that was funny.

I think the system would be more advanced than that lol.
Haha yeah thats prolly true.

Samsung Behold 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Behold 2 for T-Mobile greatly improves on the first version of the phone by adding Android to the mix, providing for a powerful combination of hardware and sowftware. With Android, Samsung's custom TouchWiz UI, a 3.2-inch AMOLED Tou... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Behold 2