Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Behold 2

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default So when are you going to give up on the BH2?

The custom ROM's are two generations behind and the official WORKING OS is three generation sold. Alot of new apps don't work on 1.6 and even those that do are dog slow.

So when are you going to dump this phone and what will you replace it with? I'm a little annoyed that a phone I bought eight months ago for $$ has been abandoned and am reluctant to upgrade on principle, but HPSA+ speeds and something non-Samsung do sound nice. I'm inclined to go with the G2 just because because plain Android ought to always work and run quickly on the phone, stripping out Samsung TW or HTC Sense on those custom ROM's seems to leave a ROM that is fraught with bugs. Don't need the physical keyboard though and do like the idea of a front facing camera for video chat but the 1GHz Snapdragon processor in the HTC MyTouch 4 seems a little dated now, Q1 2011 should see something more powerful in the new phones I trust...

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old October 20th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung T939, Samsung T919

It all depends on when I can afford another phone. The phones does what I need it too & Eugene is still working on 2.1 so there is still hope. I'll probably have this phone for at least another year or so.
Old October 21st, 2010, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid DNA, Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, Google Nexus 7 (32GB Model)
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl zero View Post
HTC MyTouch 4

You mean 4G right?

Because while technically it is the forth Mytouch (original, 1.2 with 3.5mm jack, and the Slide being the other 3) its really only the third one since the one with a 3.5mm jack and no keyboard is regarded as version 1.2.

I love/hate my slide and while its considered a mid range device it benchmarks higher than the vibrant due to its lower res screen........ which doesn't bother me at all.

They go for as low as $150 on ebay from what I seen and will soon get froyo. Although I doubt it ever sees Gingerbread..... as with any device T-mobile released with 2.1 (vibrant, motocharm, defy)

ebay HTC myTouch 3G Slide
Last edited by mwl1119; October 21st, 2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Optimus T (Titanium)

Send a message via MSN to trav2001 trav2001

I just had to get my BH2 replaced. Good thing too because I finally got the 1.6 OS on it! I'm actually really liking it too. Sadly for me I have about a year and 1/2 on mine before I can switch to a new phone.
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One S, LG G2x, Behold II, Nokia N95, and a drawer full of dinosaurs

Send a message via Yahoo to mmandros mmandros

It is all about the money for me, I just don't have it
The Following User Says Thank You to mmandros For This Useful Post:
DynamitePress (October 25th, 2010)
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Razr, BN Nook Color (running CM 7). Formerly Droid Incredible I and Samsung Behold II (POS).

In June, when canceled my contract (I was out of my 2 years, so no etf), sold the bh2, and bought a HTC Droid Incredible.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Behold 2 1.6 Tweaked w/Take 5

Bleh... stuck with the Behold 2 for another 8 months... The G2 sounds good though has a really fast processor even though its only 800mHz
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus One

Will wait it out until something great comes along for t-mobile. If not will probably get a nexus one/unlocked desire.
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Vibrant, g2x, epic 4g touch

i had my behold ii replaced several times, and finally was offered the vibrant. my friend still has the behold ii, and i forgot how freakin buggy and slow it is compared to the vibrant. he has alot of problems with his behold ii. he has been considering having me root his phone and put some custom roms on it, that is if he can't get something that works better. he is considering the g2 or vibrant. but sammy has got me, and alot of other people, stuck on the super amoled screen. nothing can compare to the screen.
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

simple, whenever i decide to buy a nexus 1, or htc hd2 and put android on it..

as these are the only other tmobile smart phones that run android that will work with $10 web2go

If i was paying for $20-30 data plan, I would get the G2 for sure
sponsored links
Old December 5th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II

Alas, I am departing from this forum as I am on to the MT4G and the $20 preferred Android plan ( I figure better to get it now and be grandfathered in to unlimited Android rather than starting a new with the $25/$30 plan, the tiered plans or possibly having them close down the wonderful t-zones/unlimited web ports). You guys rock and I couldn't have kept my BHII going for this long without this forum. Now my friend will have my BHII as she tries to work the $6 t-zones/$10 unlimited web angle. Not a bad deal for a sub $100 phone, but I have to say I am enjoying Angry birds, fast boot and visual voicemail. The G2 was free for a awhile on new contracts and I think you could swing it for $50 on the 2 year renewal. I called retentions and got a pretty good deal out for the MT4G. I wonder if the rebate will work. Good luck to all sticking with BHII and I'll be sending my friend this way
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

I just wish Eugene_373 would update us on the situation...
Old December 20th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): T-Mobile LG Optimus L9 - Stock V10G w/ root
Carrier: T-Mobile

he more than likely has completely dropped this phone, in which i don't blame him. he did good work with this phone while he could, and his work was and still is greatly appreciated.

as for staying on topic, i'm dropping this phone in february when i'm eligible for an upgrade...i'm going to bite the bullet and get the nexus s, as it's made by samsung, but at least it'll have constant support both forums-wise as well as straight from google...
Old December 23rd, 2010, 03:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Vibrant

Just installed a Full Rom from Recovery on the Behold2! on Twitpic

Nope

Things have just begun for you behold2ians.
Blackberry Curve 8320 (Sold)
Click "Thanks" if I've helped you.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....damn... i never thought i'd see progress again for this phone. still doesn't mean i won't get the nexus s, i'll just use both
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Behold 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieHD View Post
Just installed a Full Rom from Recovery on the Behold2! on Twitpic

Nope

Things have just begun for you behold2ians.
yeah but that won't put us closer to 2.1 will it? or will it? I was under the impression that Recovery was something different--so I guess I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "things have just begun" but I AM still an android novice
Last edited by DynamitePress; December 23rd, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

basically the recovery will allow us to change roms thru recovery instead of having to ODIN. still no hope that we know of for 2.x on the bh2 - still due to the lack of drivers and essential files needed to get 2.x running.
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Behold 2

that's what I thought. given the lack of diversity in fully functional ROMs (a lot of them are missing some small element I'd like to use--MMS, vibrate, camera, etc) I guess it's not terribly exciting news to me, but I did find it cool that Eugene tossed us another cookie.
Old January 19th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

I actually enjoyed my behold 2 (still have it) It did everything I needed it to do
Old May 6th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One S, LG G2x, Behold II, Nokia N95, and a drawer full of dinosaurs

Send a message via Yahoo to mmandros mmandros

The time is now. I can't stand no more.

I must say that a few folks here have made it relatively usable to say the least. I just can't take it anymore. Now to find the money to move...
sponsored links
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung T939, Samsung T919

Yep, the only thing I'm waiting on now is money. Getting married next month so it will probably be in 2-3 months.
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:23 PM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): One of those crazy new smart cellular telephone contraptions with the little green robot

I'm afraid the time has come for me. I didn't really want to but my Behold 2 has gotten to where it keeps turning itself off and won't turn back on again without taking the battery out and putting it back in. I can't seem to get it to last more than a few hours at a time. I don't know what the problem is and I'm not willing to invest the time to find out. It's an old phone, it's stuck on 1.6, and I don't really want to wait around and try to get 2.x to run on it (if that will ever be possible).

I'll say this though, before the crash it was a pretty darn good phone. When I first got it I hated it, it was slow and would freeze or shut itself off after about a day of lagging. With bearsfan85's rom and ADWLauncher I got more life and use out of it than I thought I would. It was pretty decently quick and did what I wanted for the most part, and I loved the screen quality. I even thought it to be a better phone the way I had it than my friend's MyTouch 3G that was running 2.2. But it's unreliability is bringing an end to this saga.

I haven't been around here much but I sure learned a lot about this sadly unsupported phone. Never would have been able to tolerate it this long without what I learned here and the great work of the developers.

I'm moving on to my next phone, an LG Optimus T. Better hardware and Android 2.2.1 out of the box. There are some concerns about whether or not this phone will get upgraded in the future but hey, I'm already used to a phone that has been abandoned by it's carrier, right?

It's been real. Good luck to you guys who are still toughing it out with this phone. Boro out...
Last edited by boro; May 31st, 2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - 32GB Gold iPhone 5s - 16GB Nexus 7 (2nd gen) - Chromecast
Carrier: Verizon

I was an original Behold 2 user and what first brought me into the Android game. I have since moved on to different devices but I would like to say thank you to each & every one of you for sticking it out with the BH2. I know it wasn't easy.
Old May 31st, 2011, 04:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have given up on it awhile ago but I don't have the cash for a new phone right now. I might just get a cheap LG Android phone soon. It's not much of an upgrade but it's at least something. I have a Nook Color to hold me off for awhile though . (I got it cause I knew a phone with that kind of performance and hackability would be expensive. So I knew it would help tide me over until I might be able to afford a dual core phone by the end of the year)
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:31 PM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s):

Oh and it doesn't look like T-Mobile has given up on Behold 2 .....kinda. Look at there forum pages. You click here you see a picture of the Behold 2 you click here you get a picture of the Behold 2 dead center and in front of the Vibrant. Are they just mocking us now?

Oh and also what's up with this? Amazon says it's one of the best selling T-mobile phones.
Last edited by psychoace; May 31st, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): One of those crazy new smart cellular telephone contraptions with the little green robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoace View Post
Oh and it doesn't look like T-Mobile has given up on Behold 2 .....kinda. Look at there forum pages. You click here you see a picture of the Behold 2 you click here you get a picture of the Behold 2 dead center and in front of the Vibrant. Are they just mocking us now?

Oh and also what's up with this? Amazon says it's one of the best selling T-mobile phones.
Well, it is a decent looking phone. As for sales, I know what drew me into it when I bought mine...it was cheap. Wish I knew what I was getting into. Now I know a lot better.
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Vibrant (2.2)

Yes, I finally was able (and very much wanting) to get a new phone. Got the Vibrant, and it is absolutely amazing. I still love the Behold 2, but I knew that once Eugene lost his hard-drive, we'd never get anything past 1.6 (Speaking in terms of stability and reliability).
Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:49 AM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s):

Evan

how did u get the vibrant? did tmobile replace it? or did u buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanEnglish View Post
Yes, I finally was able (and very much wanting) to get a new phone. Got the Vibrant, and it is absolutely amazing. I still love the Behold 2, but I knew that once Eugene lost his hard-drive, we'd never get anything past 1.6 (Speaking in terms of stability and reliability).
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Behold 2 Samsung Galaxy S Motorola Droid 2

Send a message via AIM to Oblaat91

hey all, i'm an old BH2 user and i gotta say i regret jumping ship and getting the droid 2 (it was on sale) it was my first android phone
Old September 1st, 2011, 02:40 AM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s):

as much as i'll miss learning android on the phone, i'm not going to miss the actual phone itself. I'm very happy to have ditched mine for 110 bucks. Still in perfect condition. I'm waiting for my htc g2 and I can't wait. I think I'll hold on to that one for a year minimum, and it has amazing reviews. I do like the keyboard too cuz it is comfortable for lengthy text. I got mine on ebay for 197, the behold was like a 100 rebate
sponsored links

Samsung Behold 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Behold 2 for T-Mobile greatly improves on the first version of the phone by adding Android to the mix, providing for a powerful combination of hardware and sowftware. With Android, Samsung's custom TouchWiz UI, a 3.2-inch AMOLED Tou... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Behold 2