Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Behold 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Filed a class action lawsuit against T-Mobile and Samsung

Looks like someone got a little pissed about Samsung's empty promises. Maybe we can piggy back on this lawsuit.

Filed a class action lawsuit against T-Mobile and Samsung - xda-developers

dbldown is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
behold_this's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,419
 
Device(s): HTC Sensation 4G, MyTouch 3G Slide
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 246 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Yeah phandroid ran this article the other day. What a joke...these same people were calling behold owners whiners and cry babes for the same thing. They didn't learn from our mistakes and so they deserve what they got.
behold_this is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to behold_this For This Useful Post:
deather (January 19th, 2011), fenderman (January 16th, 2011), suyash1 (January 16th, 2011)
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
DynamitePress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 83
 
Device(s): Samsung Behold 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 43
Thanked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Default

True, but why not get onboard?
DynamitePress is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West central wi
Posts: 30
 
Device(s): Samsung Transform 2.2 froyo port, Samsung Behold 2 Beholdman R12 Final rom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Agreed seems a little hypocritical to me lmao! But also agreed that we were in the same boat and things need to change maybe us behold owners should get onboard!!!
fenderman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Not sure why this is such a hot topic all of the sudden, but

The truth revealed:

The Samsung Secret - Why U.S. Galaxy S Phones run Android 2.1 Still - xda-developers
dbldown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West central wi
Posts: 30
 
Device(s): Samsung Transform 2.2 froyo port, Samsung Behold 2 Beholdman R12 Final rom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

It is a hot topic because lsat year the behold 2 was promised android 2.1 even on a you tube promotional video and the galaxy s was arrived and the behold was left with android 1.6! Now the same thing is going to happen to the galaxy s phones promised an update and still waiting for it!!!
fenderman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
AgentBrennier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas!
Posts: 20
 
Device(s): Nexus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
jordan.brennier@gmail.com
Default

This is interesting: m.lifehacker.com/5735622/the-android-phone-makers-that-deliver-on-upgrades
AgentBrennier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 160
 
Device(s): Behold II
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

At this point I think my next phone will be one of the one's directly administered by Google. Too bad the current one is also Samsung hardware.
fallenturtle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
DynamitePress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 83
 
Device(s): Samsung Behold 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 43
Thanked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Yes but the Nexus S will not be subject to the same bullshit, it's a bit of a special case.
DynamitePress is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 160
 
Device(s): Behold II
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamitePress View Post
Yes but the Nexus S will not be subject to the same bullshit, it's a bit of a special case.
It's still money going into Samsung's pocket.
fallenturtle is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
DynamitePress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 83
 
Device(s): Samsung Behold 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 43
Thanked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenturtle View Post
It's still money going into Samsung's pocket.
Ah I see...I assumed you were simply trying to avoid the lack-of-upgrade problem. My dilemma is that in my opinion, Samsung makes the best phones out there--I just like them better than HTC's, and lets face it, Motorola...well...BLOWS. LG is just starting to become a decent brand. Etc. In terms of hardware and functionality, I love Samsung--but paying for an open-source upgrade is BS. I get why they want it to work this way, but tough crap. Welcome to Android, guys, you've got to provide more support for your work if you're going to play in this field.
DynamitePress is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 826
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Soooo...the moment has a 2.1 update availaible through sprint. Could this be more about tmobile, and less about samsung?
MyNamesTooLong is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,635
 
Device(s): Droid Razr, BN Nook Color (running CM 7). Formerly Droid Incredible I and Samsung Behold II (POS).
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 290
Thanked 595 Times in 411 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNamesTooLong View Post
Soooo...the moment has a 2.1 update availaible through sprint. Could this be more about tmobile, and less about samsung?
No.
euph_22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
behold_this's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,419
 
Device(s): HTC Sensation 4G, MyTouch 3G Slide
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 246 Times in 169 Posts
Default

No it can't be! Here's a list:

Tmobile vibrant-no update to 2.2
Verizon fascinate-no update to 2.2
Sprint epic 4g-no update to 2.2
At&t captivate-no update to 2.2
International galaxy (original)-no update to 2.x
Tmobile behold 2-no update to 2.x
Cincinnati bell behold 2-no update to 2.x

Do you need more?
behold_this is offline  
Last edited by behold_this; January 19th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 826
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
Default

No...I could care less either way
MyNamesTooLong is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 95
 
Device(s): Samsung Behold 2 with Final Galaxy Rom, HTC Pure Running Android
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

It looked liked it worked with the vibrant. Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant will get Froyo tomorrow, says T-Mobile CMO -- Engadget
acseazzu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 320
 
Device(s): Samsung T939, Samsung T919
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 30
Thanked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Default

They've given up on the Behold. No matter what you do I doubt they'll release an update. Hell, even the 1.6 update that they did was pulled.
__________________
Recovery: BH_MAN / Eugene | Rom: BH_MAN / Eugene EXT2 Cookie Cutter | Benchmark: 667
My Behold 2 runs so fast you'd think it was a Kenyan!
Don't buy Samsung, they don't update, they just launch a new phone.
j0hnh0lmes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
asadullah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: casselberry
Posts: 448
 
Device(s): Sprint Hero, Optimus v, lg marquee, nexus s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 251 Times in 112 Posts
Default

truth is some people don't learn or care they just want pretty phones like their friends have. I've shown some of the people I know articles and forums when they are about to buy a samsung phones but it doesn't matter. The average user doesn't know or research about a phone before they buy a phone. They just see the flashy commercials and like a child get mesmerized and must have it no matter what. It's sad but it's the truth. Behold 2 owners should definitely try to get in on the lawsuit or create their own or accept they have shitty phones. Also don't buy samsung phones there hasn't been one decent one (does that really need to be said ) since ....... maybe the samsung beat for it's time.
asadullah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 92
 
Device(s): Nexus One 2.2.1 Rooted Stock, Samsung Behold II 1.6 TwzLite/Clockwork 0.2 [Where's my OC kernel ? :)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default I contacted him...

I contacted MicBeast, and passed along some information about what we went through ( along with the now-you-see-it-now-you-don't video where they said it would update wirelessly to Android 2.x ).

We'll see what happens.
marcelo_lopez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 826
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
Default

^^^probably the same thing thats been happening...
MyNamesTooLong is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I feel like all of the advertising that the behold II got was overrated. ever since i got this phone and all of its deficiencies i have had nothing but a resentment towards samsung usa and tmobile. as soon as my contract is up im leaving tmobile and their horrible under powered "android" phones in the past. i cant even get tech support from tmobile or samscam to help me figure out why this phone cant even set up a vpn. that and all of the stupid touchwiz limitations make this phone even more sad than the original behold i upgraded from. since it looks like i really did get what i paid for i think i will flush this piece of shit down the drain. i wish there was a way to completely wipe all of tmobiles stuff off this phone and make it a true android phone. but since technology is moving so fast it would pointless to try because the onboard processor would most likely melt from the strain of having a pure android os in it. even samsung knows this phone sucked ass before they let it go into the box but needed the money to fund its "iphone killer" the galaxy. and from what i have seen on that in the android forum i am amused that samscam would make that assumption. i feel all of your guys' pain for being stuck with this substandard phone and hope your next android is a real droid and not a bastardized fail like the behold series is.
matargueros is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 12:27 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Drhyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 493
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean (rooted)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 59
Thanked 90 Times in 63 Posts
drhyde27@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matargueros View Post
I feel like all of the advertising that the behold II got was overrated. ever since i got this phone and all of its deficiencies i have had nothing but a resentment towards samsung usa and tmobile. as soon as my contract is up im leaving tmobile and their horrible under powered "android" phones in the past. i cant even get tech support from tmobile or samscam to help me figure out why this phone cant even set up a vpn. that and all of the stupid touchwiz limitations make this phone even more sad than the original behold i upgraded from. since it looks like i really did get what i paid for i think i will flush this piece of shit down the drain. i wish there was a way to completely wipe all of tmobiles stuff off this phone and make it a true android phone. but since technology is moving so fast it would pointless to try because the onboard processor would most likely melt from the strain of having a pure android os in it. even samsung knows this phone sucked ass before they let it go into the box but needed the money to fund its "iphone killer" the galaxy. and from what i have seen on that in the android forum i am amused that samscam would make that assumption. i feel all of your guys' pain for being stuck with this substandard phone and hope your next android is a real droid and not a bastardized fail like the behold series is.
Well, don't feel too bad. My first Android phone was the Behold II and I hated it so much that I almost gave up on Android entirely. It wasn't until I seen and purchased the Nexus One that I got into Android heavily. To be honest, I'm moving away from purchasing phones on upgrades anyway. Unless they can be easily rooted, carrier phones carry too much bloat and other nasty things (Carrier IQ anyone?).

The Behold II is actually really nice hardware for its time. Yes, the CPU is a piddly 528 MHz processor that appeared in every smart phone of the late 90's and early 2000's, but the problem was never that. It COULD have ran stock Android, it COULD have ran CM 6/7, it COULD have had a great post-shelf life, but the problem was Samsung. See Android was just starting then and didn't have any sort of track record. Rooting was still fairly new and Samsung didn't release the source code for the Behold II till a year after it was on the market. Nowadays, they have the source code out before the phone even hits. Had they have released the source code early on, we could have been using the Behold II long past that initial month before throwing it against the wall.
__________________
My blog: http://tkgod.blogspot.com
Drhyde is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,635
 
Device(s): Droid Razr, BN Nook Color (running CM 7). Formerly Droid Incredible I and Samsung Behold II (POS).
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 290
Thanked 595 Times in 411 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drhyde View Post
Well, don't feel too bad. My first Android phone was the Behold II and I hated it so much that I almost gave up on Android entirely. It wasn't until I seen and purchased the Nexus One that I got into Android heavily. To be honest, I'm moving away from purchasing phones on upgrades anyway. Unless they can be easily rooted, carrier phones carry too much bloat and other nasty things (Carrier IQ anyone?).

The Behold II is actually really nice hardware for its time. Yes, the CPU is a piddly 528 MHz processor that appeared in every smart phone of the late 90's and early 2000's, but the problem was never that. It COULD have ran stock Android, it COULD have ran CM 6/7, it COULD have had a great post-shelf life, but the problem was Samsung. See Android was just starting then and didn't have any sort of track record. Rooting was still fairly new and Samsung didn't release the source code for the Behold II till a year after it was on the market. Nowadays, they have the source code out before the phone even hits. Had they have released the source code early on, we could have been using the Behold II long past that initial month before throwing it against the wall.
528MHZ would have been a fast DESKTOP processor in 2002.

They put up the source code is a timely manner, however they never posted the COMPLETE source code. They main problem there is they used some fairly proprietary bits in the firmware for the phone that they use in other products, and there was no way they'd release that. Meaning the source code is basically worthless to develop from. (FYI: releasing the source code is REQUIRED under the Apache license that Android uses. I believe it also gives a time limit for that release, although proprietary code is exempt).
Rooting/jailbreaking/whatever it was called on WM has been around for as long as mobile devices have had standard OS's. And none of this has to do with Samsung providing updates to it's products. Samsung still doesn't have a track record for providing updates.
euph_22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Drhyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 493
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean (rooted)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 59
Thanked 90 Times in 63 Posts
drhyde27@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by euph_22 View Post
528MHZ would have been a fast DESKTOP processor in 2002.

They put up the source code is a timely manner, however they never posted the COMPLETE source code. They main problem there is they used some fairly proprietary bits in the firmware for the phone that they use in other products, and there was no way they'd release that. Meaning the source code is basically worthless to develop from. (FYI: releasing the source code is REQUIRED under the Apache license that Android uses. I believe it also gives a time limit for that release, although proprietary code is exempt).
Rooting/jailbreaking/whatever it was called on WM has been around for as long as mobile devices have had standard OS's. And none of this has to do with Samsung providing updates to it's products. Samsung still doesn't have a track record for providing updates.
Well, I had a 1 Ghz in 2001 in my PC so I'm probably a little off on the processor and my Compaq iPaq had a 400 Mhz. Brain fart I suppose.

A quick google search gave me Jan 6, 2011 for the release of the partial source code over a year after the Nov, 8 2009 release date. If indeed there was proprietary code that couldn't be worked on and a update was never coming as promised then Samsung gets what they deserve.
Drhyde is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Behold 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Behold 2 for T-Mobile greatly improves on the first version of the phone by adding Android to the mix, providing for a powerful combination of hardware and sowftware. With Android, Samsung's custom TouchWiz UI, a 3.2-inch AMOLED Tou... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Behold 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.