Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Behold 2

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Vibrant: Something from Eugene G2: Stock, for now Backup: iphone 3g with iDroid Retired: G1 and B
Carrier: Not Provided

Send a message via AIM to bearsfan85
Default Tether Behold 2

I want to start by saying that I have BH-Mans Rom 1.6 for behold 2 so I do not know if this would work on a stock (meaning out of the box) behold, but using PdaNet for Android I can use 3g on my laptop. You do need an ADB connection and be sure that you have the proper drivers, PdaNet will prompt you to be sure of this. There is a download link here and there is support for Windows XP/Vista/7 for 32 and 64 bit along with mac 10.5/10.6

There is no need for any proxy's and the app is free. There is a paid version which allows you to view https sites after the free trial is up. After the trial you can view http sites

Since the only thing I could find was a forum on wireless rooting in the root section i figured I would post this for people who do not read them because PdaNet is supposed to work without rooting.

This works with Stock Behold 2 with 1.5 as well

Behold II Drivers Direct Download Link

Advertisements
Last edited by bearsfan85; May 10th, 2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: found new Information
sponsored links
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Razr, BN Nook Color (running CM 7). Formerly Droid Incredible I and Samsung Behold II (POS).

PDAnet DOES work on stock. I believe there is another tethering app on the market, but I haven't tried that one.
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Vibrant: Something from Eugene G2: Stock, for now Backup: iphone 3g with iDroid Retired: G1 and B

There is Easy Tether Lite and Internet Sharer and I believe both of them require proxy's, PdaNet is the easiest way
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - 32GB Gold iPhone 5s - 16GB Nexus 7 (2nd gen) - Chromecast
Carrier: Verizon

Yep, I use PDAnet quite a bit when i need quick internet access on the go. Would still like a wireless option but it'll do for right now.
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: TMO

Send a message via AIM to chadmd23 Send a message via MSN to chadmd23 Send a message via Yahoo to chadmd23 Send a message via Skype™ to chadmd23

I've been trying to get Proxoid to work with my ubuntu netbook, but can't get it to recognize my phone. Let me know if anyone has some luck.
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Behold 2

I have a Samsung Behold 2 and I'm trying to use it as a modem on my Windows 7 laptop. I'm not super tech savvy, but I didn't think I had to be. I installed pdanet on my cell and my laptop. Followed all the steps, spent hours upon hours on this, but there seems to be a problem installing a driver to make my computer recognize my phone. It sees it as a mass storage device, but with debugging enabled and in PC studio mode, it just charges it. Please help!!
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaynasusan View Post
I have a Samsung Behold 2 and I'm trying to use it as a modem on my Windows 7 laptop. I'm not super tech savvy, but I didn't think I had to be. I installed pdanet on my cell and my laptop. Followed all the steps, spent hours upon hours on this, but there seems to be a problem installing a driver to make my computer recognize my phone. It sees it as a mass storage device, but with debugging enabled and in PC studio mode, it just charges it. Please help!!
You need to install the proper ADB drivers and 7 is hard get ADB to work took me about a week. I am searching for pictures right now to help. But what you will do is go into device manager and there should be unidentified software. Click update or install and select the folder that contains the Drivers
Last edited by bearsfan85; March 11th, 2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: didnt read
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Behold 2

Quote:
For me, I tried to install it with the samsung drivers separate download, but only 3 parts would install correctly (the not ADB ones) so I finally just left those 3 samsung and used the default driver that came with the program for the last one.... worked like a charm

good luck!
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Behold 2 w/ BH_MAN Galaxy 1.6 / R7 Do Not PM me With Problem's Post in Thread!

Thanked 1,678 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan85 View Post
You need to install the proper ADB drivers and 7 is hard get ADB to work took me about a week. I am searching for pictures right now to help. But what you will do is go into device manager and there should be unidentified software. Click update or install and select the folder that contains the Drivers
Yeah Windows 7 Is a Pain.. I had to Manually install all of the driver's to work on the 64-bit I'm running, I'm sure 32-bit is the same way..
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally I installed usbdeview, and as instructed found all Samsung drivers and attempted to uninstall them. I clicked uninstall several times and only the mass storage driver would uninstall. The communications one stayed put. No error messages or anything.

I'm running 64 bit Windows 7. I downloaded the driver you linked me to and got the same message as the other drivers I've tried to install. Immediately after clicking install, I get a pop-up box saying "Samsung Mobile Modem was not installed successfully (1)". Not sure where to go from here. Any help it all will be greatly appreciated.

PS: I didn't attempt to use my first Behold 2 as a modem, though I did plug it in. Had too many problems, replaced it with another Behold 2 from T-Mobile. Is it possible my computer automatically installed a driver for the first and now it's corrupt and I can't remove it or something?
sponsored links
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Forgot to mention, I couldn't find any unidentified software in my device manager. Showed hidden devices, still nothing.
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally I installed usbdeview, and as instructed found all Samsung drivers and attempted to uninstall them. I clicked uninstall several times and only the mass storage driver would uninstall. The communications one stayed put. No error messages or anything.

I'm running 64 bit Windows 7. I downloaded the driver you linked me to and got the same message as the other drivers I've tried to install. Immediately after clicking install, I get a pop-up box saying "Samsung Mobile Modem was not installed successfully (1)". Not sure where to go from here. Any help it all will be greatly appreciated.

PS: I didn't attempt to use my first Behold 2 as a modem, though I did plug it in. Had too many problems, replaced it with another Behold 2 from T-Mobile. Is it possible my computer automatically installed a driver for the first and now it's corrupt and I can't remove it or something?
USBdeviews doesnt run properly in Windows 7, you will have to uninstall them using the device manager, then ungplug your phone and then plug it back in, then manually update the drivers through device manager or the device menu (view devices and printers) and try doing it that way
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Behold 2 w/ BH_MAN Galaxy 1.6 / R7 Do Not PM me With Problem's Post in Thread!

Quote:
USBdeviews doesnt run properly in Windows 7, you will have to uninstall them using the device manager, then ungplug your phone and then plug it back in, then manually update the drivers through device manager or the device menu (view devices and printers) and try doing it that way
? Um, USBDEview is working perfect on my Machine ( Windows 7 64-bit ).
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)

Ya USBDeview works I just checked. When I was getting ADB to work I was up at 2 so I probably just wasnt paying attention, my mistake.
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for the tidbits. I felt my way around and finally figured it out.

Anybody know when the "free trial" of pdanet expires? I didn't see anything about that when I downloaded it.
Last edited by alaynasusan; March 17th, 2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: got it working
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
I promise you, I'm not making this up. When I open the program and select either Samsung device, I click uninstall and nothing happens. I restart the computer and they're still listed. One thing that might help: the Samsung device under Communications is the only device that says "No" under "Safe to unplug."

If anybody has any suggestions at all, I'm desperate.

Here it is in a nutshell in case I left anything out:

I connect my phone to computer (Windows 7, 64 bit). Recognized as mass storage, but when connected under PC Studio, windows pops a box saying "No driver found." Every driver I've tried to install has failed (I'm having nightmares about error boxes). Have repeatedly uninstalled my device from my computer and reinstalled, both connected to the internet and not. Still nothing. All of this so I can use pdanet to use my Behold 2 as a modem. Either I'm too dumb to live or cursed.
Do you have usb debugging on?
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you have usb debugging on?
That wasn't it.
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #18 (permalink)

I had to Manually install each driver Per Device regarding the Behold 2 Adb driver's & Phone Driver's in the Device Manager in Windows 7. Hope that Helps.... To lazy to Read above to see if that was said already.
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default internet tethering for behold 2

i have no clue what i'm doing wrong but it wont install on my computer, when i hook it up, it says installing software and then says software was not successfully installed and have been trying it for 3 days now and i'm going step by step. i have pdanet and easytether on my phone and i have windows 7. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'm in need of some direction.

Samsung Behold 2.

I ran the setup for the drivers. Said it installed ok. I don't know where to go from there. Somebody help me out would you?

David
sponsored links
Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to chadmd23 Send a message via MSN to chadmd23 Send a message via Yahoo to chadmd23 Send a message via Skype™ to chadmd23

Just checking to see if anybody has gotten ADB to work with ubuntu. I've tried the patched galaxy adb, and just about everything everyone else has used. Anyone have any ideas?
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmd23 View Post
Just checking to see if anybody has gotten ADB to work with ubuntu. I've tried the patched galaxy adb, and just about everything everyone else has used. Anyone have any ideas?
Yes I have it working... Are you Needing the file?
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH_MAN View Post
Yes I have it working... Are you Needing the file?
Can you send me the rules file you use? I swear every site I find has something different in it.

Also do you use the adb that comes with the SDK tools. If not can you send that also.

Thanks! (I'll write up instructions if I get it to work.)
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s): Behold2

i FOR THE LIFE OF ME CANT GET PDANET TO WORK WITH MY MAC. ANYONE WITH EXPERIENCE?

SORRY FOR THE CAPS A LOT OF COFFEE TODAY
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:20 AM   #25 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)

I will hopefully be posting a walkthrough soon on how to do this using Windows 7 as for mac I cant help you as of now hopefully I can get my hands on a mac and figure it out
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): Behold2

85 Bears Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i after several attempts to contact Pdanet (junefabrics) nobody there is listening or responding. i really want to give them my $30 for the product.

I spent days searching intertubez for answers (ok like about 2 hours but it felt long)

why do i feel like the behold is the red headed step child of the android phones.

I just want to tether without rooting!
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by culo77 View Post
why do i feel like the behold is the red headed step child of the android phones.
Every android phone has serious issues, even the Nexus 1!

Besides the bad SD cards and the battery issues, there aren't many hardware issues with the BH2.
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)

I just installed warhead, thanks BH_Man awesome rom, so hopefully this week if not soon after I will get that turorial up and hopefully that will help clarify somethings.

Also he is a link to the Samsung Behold II Drivers it is a direct download link
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s):

I use pdanet for trial,and now isnt free again.
I try easytether, it can't connect.

What another usb tethering or bluetooth dun application for android?

Motorola milestone is my gadget...
Thanks a lot
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s):

- deleted -
Last edited by cuekbebek; May 12th, 2010 at 07:15 PM.
sponsored links
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmd23 View Post
I've been trying to get Proxoid to work with my ubuntu netbook, but can't get it to recognize my phone. Let me know if anyone has some luck.
you never got adb working on ubuntu? I got it working on 10.4 now so let me know if you need help.

(yes I know we are not talking about adb, but if you have adb communication, I can assume there will be good contact with the phone)
The Following User Says Thank You to megabiteg For This Useful Post:
chadmd23 (May 12th, 2010)
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabiteg View Post
you never got adb working on ubuntu? I got it working on 10.4 now so let me know if you need help.

(yes I know we are not talking about adb, but if you have adb communication, I can assume there will be good contact with the phone)
I got it a while ago using your tips for how to launch it. Thanks! (if i didn't thank you earlier.)
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)

I think i realized the problem that most people are having, make sure you guys are reading the directions when you are doing this make sure you are pressing NO do not install the new drivers after manual install
The Following User Says Thank You to bearsfan85 For This Useful Post:
elj9181 (September 2nd, 2010)
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:57 PM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Behold 2 (husband) MyTouch

I have to say this is AMAZING to be able to connect to the internet using my Behold 2 Samsung cell phone. I should have written down all the steps I took to get it to work...so here goes (I'll do my best to remember)
Downloaded the Samsung PC Studio program (found HERE)

I am not sure if this really is coming in necessary to have actually now. I could not get a connection to the program. Some of you may be able to use this program but my phone is supposedly not compatible (after doing all the live updating possible~about 305 updates to it~) So I have nothing to add about this other than: While I was trying to find out why I could not connect, I found I had to switch something in my phone by going to Setting -> Phone Settings -> USB Settings -> and selecting Samsung PC Studio. (This is in thanks to the above post from mine~read that one also for a bit more details on this step) Even though I am not using THAT program, I will tell you later on as to WHY this had to be selected on my end. By the way, all this time my phone is NOT connected to the computer.

Downloaded the PDAnet app from the market (Android) (found this after searching more from not being able to connect to or use the PC Studio program)

Downloaded the PDAnet program on my laptop (found HERE) (this is where I had a bit more problems....while installing, it popped up a HUGE warning telling me that if I continued in installing the drivers, it could harm my computer. SO I stopped and did not continue. (So it was not installed at this point) About the setting switch as mentioned above, when I was in Mass Storage selection, the PC Studio Program did NOT say my phone was not compatible and some of the features were available for selecting (just not using since I could not connect) And when I selected the PC Studio selection, thats when it said my phone was not compatible.

At this point I connected my phone to my computer (while in the PC Studio selected mode) and a window popped up automatically asking me if I wanted to install the needed drivers. Use the RECOMMENDED setting, select OK. I let the internet select and find the needed drivers and it did it all on its own. One MAIN thing you will need to make sure of is when you go to the Device Manager (RIGHT CLICK on MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES, select the HARDWARE tab and then select DEVICE MANAGER) at the top of the list it should show your Android phone. If there is a little yellow exclamation symbol next to it, the needed drivers are NOT installed...otherwise it will show Android ADS (without the little yellow symbol) and that means you have the needed drivers. If the window did not pop up for you when you connected your phone AND you have that little yellow symbol next to your phone in the Device Manager, then right click on the label with the yellow symbol next to it and select UPDATE DRIVER. This should make that window appear. Disconnect your phone from the computer after installing the drivers completes.

After my drivers were installed and the yellow symbol in the Device Manager was gone, I went BACK to try to reinstall that PDAnet for Android on my computer. Your phone should NOT be connected during this installation process!! It did NOT give me that same warning this time. It will ask you if you want to reinstall the drivers or keep the one you already have, keep the one you already have, which I believe you select NO at that point.

After the installation was completed....I opened the program on my computer and then the one on my phone. I tested my connection through my phone to my laptop by disabling my home
network connection (disable, disconnect the wireless connection OR if you are wired, unplus the ethernet cable) and OMG it freaking worked!!!

Keep in mind I did not write any of this down and am going off memory of what i did. I hope its correct (since I cannot go back and redo what I did, and really dont want to have to LOL because it took a while, like an hour, to figure all this out from researching) and hope it works just as great for you too!!!

Remember, I am NOT using the Samsung PC Studio program and do not know if I still need it on my computer or not but I am NOT going to uninstall it and ruin my progress now LOL!

Please let me know if this works for you and if you have any questions as I will do my best to help you if I can!!

As stated above how I would tell you more about the SWITCH from Mass Storage to Samsung PC Studio, I did some testing as to WHY you MUST have PC Studio selected (even though not using the PC Studio program) If you have the Mass Storage selected, your phone does not show under the Device Manager meaning your computer does not recognize it. If you were able to connect to the internet through your phone using all these steps, then if you switch it back to Mass Storage from PC Studio, you will notice, you cannot connect to the internet through your phone under that setting. So again, I am pretty sure you do not HAVE to keep the actual PC Studio program installed on your computer but you HAVE to have selected the PC Studio option on your phone.

For those of you able to use the PC Studio program for connecting to the internet, AWESOME! And you should add some steps to take on here for using it as I cannot since I do not know about it (as mine always either says~using the Mass Storage~ NOT CONNECTED OR ~using the PC Studio~ Your phone is not compatible. Also I dont know if switching back to the Mass Storage option is needed for any other reason either. If someone knows a reason as to if some features on your phone may not work if its not selected or something along those lines, please post and let us know. I tried accessing my memory card while in the PC Studio option and it let me. I did not try saving anything to it though. Please let us know what the difference is for just for daily use of your phone between Mass Storage and PC Studio options....thanks!!
Last edited by elj9181; September 2nd, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s):

You can tether BH II for free!
All you need is Samsung Kies Suite or Behold II USB driver. Tethering will also work with Cradlepoint CTR-500 (not PHS300, it won't work with the latest fw).

Samsung Behold 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Behold 2 for T-Mobile greatly improves on the first version of the phone by adding Android to the mix, providing for a powerful combination of hardware and sowftware. With Android, Samsung's custom TouchWiz UI, a 3.2-inch AMOLED Tou... Read More

Tags
behold 2, tether

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Behold 2