April 13th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Thread Author (OP)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Carrier: Not Provided
Thanked 176 Times in 68 Posts
How To Fix Samsung Captivate Screen
This written repair guide will assist you in replacing the screen on your Samsung Captivate i897. This guide will take your through each step by step teardown, from screw removal, to flex cables, main board, and etc.
This guide will help you install the following Samsung Captivate i897 part (s):
- Samsung Captivate LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
- And Other Samsung Captivate i897 Parts
- Safe Open Pry Tool
- Small Phillips Screwdriver
Samsung Captivate i897 take apart/repair guide:
- Start first by removing the back cover, the battery, the sim card, and SD card from the phone.
- Use a small Phillips screwdriver to remove the six (6) screws on the back housing. Two screws are quite difficult to remove, located at the bottom of the device. You need first to gently pull up in the middle of the battery latch and then pull out; it must slide out relatively easily. The final two (2) screws can now be removed.
- Begin prying the screen out from the edges first at the bottom end of the phone. The bezel and the back cover of the phone are all one piece around the screen. You donít have much trouble removing the bottom edge cause it will just come off.
- The last clip at the top from the rest of the phone must be release. Using safe pry tool or very small flathead screw driver, VERY cautiously raise one side of the case as shown in the picture above, slide the driver head in and lightly pry up. The last clip will come free without too much force.
- Before you can pull off the motherboard, everything with a red arrow as shown in Figure 3 must need to come off to have access removing the motherboard.
- Unlatch first the ribbon cable from the speaker. Next, flip the back clamp on the connector up to enable release of the cable. Cautiously remove a piece of blue tape over the connector and cable.
- The remaining last screw is shown n Figure 4. Once removed, you can pull the right side section of the board up, and the left must follow pretty easily, simply be careful of all the cables and be absolutely sure everything is disconnected before pulling the board.
- Once the front sides of the board including all of the shielding are removed. This mostly entails taking the micro SD and SIM card board off. Upon doing this, double check first and make sure to disconnect the cable that runs from the top board to the underside of the main board.
- For LCD or touch screen digitizer replacement, use heat gun or hair dryer and heat up the glue that holds the glass in place, and then you can start prying it off using safe pry tool.
Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.