Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Epic 4G

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 27th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 968
 
Device(s): Instinct>EVO>EPIC>Note2 SGT10.1, HPTP
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 104
Thanked 90 Times in 60 Posts
Default Software Update - FC09

Sprint Community: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Enhancements/Fixes
- Force close error when receiving a call
- Sprint Connections Optimizer Sprint Community: Services and Apps: Sprint Connections Optimizer

I really do not understand how this "Optimizer" is going to be good for your battery when you need to have WiFI and 4G radios on all times so the optimizer can pick the right one for you.

__________________
To each their own...
badankles is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 311
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

What's this all about? I don't think I ever got this update.
Poweranimals is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 968
 
Device(s): Instinct>EVO>EPIC>Note2 SGT10.1, HPTP
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 104
Thanked 90 Times in 60 Posts
Default

They are taking their time on this one as most people have already figured out how to get around the force close error. As for the enhancement...meh.
badankles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
CBRRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 64
 
Device(s): Instinct -> Moment -> Epic 4G -> EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 31
Thanked 49 Times in 24 Posts
Default

So it was 6 weeks yesterday and still i have yet to receive this update. I occasionally get a force close when trying to receive a call, not all the time. Has anyone else not received this update either?

I guess at this point it really doesn't matter since i preordered the HTC EVO 4G LTE yesterday, so i won't be using this phone much longer. Getting tired to the phone randomly freezing at least once a day and the random reboots that happen 2-3 times a week as well. That and the GPS not working half the time as well....oh well.
CBRRider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
la sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Waukesha, WI
Gender: Male
Posts: 815
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, Nook Tablet with N2A Cards Android 4.4, Google Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 751
Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyAsshole View Post
So it was 6 weeks yesterday and still i have yet to receive this update. I occasionally get a force close when trying to receive a call, not all the time. Has anyone else not received this update either?

I guess at this point it really doesn't matter since i preordered the HTC EVO 4G LTE yesterday, so i won't be using this phone much longer. Getting tired to the phone randomly freezing at least once a day and the random reboots that happen 2-3 times a week as well. That and the GPS not working half the time as well....oh well.
I haven't received the update. After dealing with Samsung ignoring the GPS issue and their buggy updates, I am going with HTC or Motorola after my contract expires next year (April '13). Have to do some research and see which company offers superior GPS.
la sal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 968
 
Device(s): Instinct>EVO>EPIC>Note2 SGT10.1, HPTP
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 104
Thanked 90 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Same here. I started the post and still have not received the update. I figure this would be the last and final update for this phone. I'm holding off on the upgrade until LTE is in my area (second tiered right now on the Network Vision/LTE report).
badankles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 56
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

This update came to me last night.

The connection optimizer is crap. It keeps turning on the wifi to see if i'm near one of my preferred networks.

I prefer to manage my networks manually. I disabled this function.
pm_phone is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pm_phone For This Useful Post:
la sal (May 8th, 2012)
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
CBRRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 64
 
Device(s): Instinct -> Moment -> Epic 4G -> EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 31
Thanked 49 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by la sal View Post
I haven't received the update. After dealing with Samsung ignoring the GPS issue and their buggy updates, I am going with HTC or Motorola after my contract expires next year (April '13). Have to do some research and see which company offers superior GPS.
Yeah, i had the Moment before i said i would never buy another Samsung phone again....well then i bought the Epic like an idiot. Almost got the Galaxy Nexus but since it took so long to be available, i decided to wait to the new EVO. As much as i would like to have a Nexus phone, i'll wait till Samsung doesn't make one.

But i'm with you, the GPS issues piss me off but the phone locking up 1-2 times a day and the random reboots is irritating as well. I even tried to do a factory reset hoping to fix some of the issues but not a chance.

So sorry you are stuck with it till April next year though. I've only had the phone since December 2010 but i got yearly upgrades up until they changed it last year. Now i'll be back to the 22 month time frame after this upgrade....oh well
CBRRider is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CBRRider For This Useful Post:
la sal (May 9th, 2012)
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
la sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Waukesha, WI
Gender: Male
Posts: 815
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, Nook Tablet with N2A Cards Android 4.4, Google Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 751
Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyAsshole View Post
Yeah, i had the Moment before i said i would never buy another Samsung phone again....well then i bought the Epic like an idiot. Almost got the Galaxy Nexus but since it took so long to be available, i decided to wait to the new EVO. As much as i would like to have a Nexus phone, i'll wait till Samsung doesn't make one.

But i'm with you, the GPS issues piss me off but the phone locking up 1-2 times a day and the random reboots is irritating as well. I even tried to do a factory reset hoping to fix some of the issues but not a chance.

So sorry you are stuck with it till April next year though. I've only had the phone since December 2010 but i got yearly upgrades up until they changed it last year. Now i'll be back to the 22 month time frame after this upgrade....oh well
Fortunately I haven't had the lockup issues to deal with so I SHOULD be able to tough out my two year contract. I could upgrade a couple months early (22 month time frame) but I'm not sure if I am staying with Sprint. They don't seem to put much interest into improving data and voice coverage in Wisconsin so I may switch to another carrier. The data speeds here are extremely poor when running speed tests. My wife is extremely frustrated with Sprint's service on her iPhone4S.

Anyway...I got the update this morning. I disabled the Sprint Connections Optimizer since I don't need to use it. Prefer to control that myself. Despite disabling it, the Optimizer takes up RAM on the phone. I went to Running Services and stopped the Optimizer but it will return like a lot of the bloatware I imagine.
la sal is offline  
Last edited by la sal; May 9th, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to la sal For This Useful Post:
kendermouse (May 11th, 2012)
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
CBRRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 64
 
Device(s): Instinct -> Moment -> Epic 4G -> EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 31
Thanked 49 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by la sal View Post
Fortunately I haven't had the lockup issues to deal with so I SHOULD be able to tough out my two year contract. I could upgrade a couple months early (22 month time frame) but I'm not sure if I am staying with Sprint. They don't seem to put much interest into improving data and voice coverage in Wisconsin so I may switch to another carrier. The data speeds here are extremely poor when running speed tests. My wife is extremely frustrated with Sprint's service on her iPhone4S.

Anyway...I got the update this morning. I disabled the Sprint Connections Optimizer since I don't need to use it. Prefer to control that myself. Despite disabling it, the Optimizer takes up RAM on the phone. I went to Running Services and stopped the Optimizer but it will return like a lot of the bloatware I imagine.
That's good your phone doesn't freeze up because it's very frustrating a lot of times. As for leaving Sprint, i've thought about leaving but the wife came from Verizon and their customer service is horrible and the prices are not worth the speed increase. And hell if i will ever switch to AT&T...they lock their phones down so much, i wouldn't switch even if they were the same price as Sprint. I'm connected to WiFi 90% of the time anyways. But i just read that Sprint will be rolling out LTE between June/July and December this year. Hopefully they roll it out for you by the time your up for an upgrade.

Network Vision/LTE Deployment Running List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

Good luck with what ever you decide to do though.
CBRRider is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 207
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 (previously the Epic 4G and the Evo before that)
Carrier: MetroPCS/T-Mobile

Thanks: 30
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I don't mind this phone, really -- at least it has a keyboard and a Wolfson DAC, and was bleeding edge for that brief moment almost two years ago. The later phones have had terrible sound quality -- even the latest HTCs have been pants in that regard.

I'm still waiting for LTE and either a return to better DACs or USB audio -- and I hope someone makes a detachable keyboard/case to use with sleeker Android phones. That way, I can choose the best device and still have a keyboard when I need one.



Forgot to mention: Update came today without my expecting it. Disabled the Wifi search on principle because it's an excuse for harvesting data. Came here to see what others said about it and found this thread.
Flaspeneer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Zeinzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 210
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Default

I had the Moment as well. Dev'd for it too. I love my Epic.

No issues here running 4.0.4
Zeinzu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 968
 
Device(s): Instinct>EVO>EPIC>Note2 SGT10.1, HPTP
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 104
Thanked 90 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Yep, just got my OTA update this morning. I was trying to manually checked a couple of days ago and kept receiving the error message, including PRL update, so I stopped. No biggie, then saw it first thing this morning. In reading more about the "optimizer", it look to be the watered down CIQ, so of course, I made sure it was not checked. Come on Sprint, really?

Anyway, I'm sure this is the last update the Epic will ever see again. My phone has been doing funny stuff for a few months now running stock and minimal number of 3rd-party apps. It freezes once in a while (especially when off of wi-fi trying to switch between 3G/4G), runs hot some time where I was afraid it would burn its circuitry (especially when off of wi-fi trying to switch between 3G/4G), it would restart itself once in a while, sometime I have to turn it off twice (it would restart after the first off).

I still like the phone a lot, though. Going to look into CM7/9 to hold me off until LTE comes to my area, which is currently in the second tier, so it could be a while. Maybe by then there will be an awesome slider to upgrade to. One can dream, right?
badankles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
CBRRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 64
 
Device(s): Instinct -> Moment -> Epic 4G -> EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 31
Thanked 49 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badankles View Post
Yep, just got my OTA update this morning. I was trying to manually checked a couple of days ago and kept receiving the error message, including PRL update, so I stopped. No biggie, then saw it first thing this morning. In reading more about the "optimizer", it look to be the watered down CIQ, so of course, I made sure it was not checked. Come on Sprint, really?

Anyway, I'm sure this is the last update the Epic will ever see again. My phone has been doing funny stuff for a few months now running stock and minimal number of 3rd-party apps. It freezes once in a while (especially when off of wi-fi trying to switch between 3G/4G), runs hot some time where I was afraid it would burn its circuitry (especially when off of wi-fi trying to switch between 3G/4G), it would restart itself once in a while, sometime I have to turn it off twice (it would restart after the first off).

I still like the phone a lot, though. Going to look into CM7/9 to hold me off until LTE comes to my area, which is currently in the second tier, so it could be a while. Maybe by then there will be an awesome slider to upgrade to. One can dream, right?
Got my update this morning as well and declined the optimizer as well. Not sure if it fixed any of my issues as i have not got many calls today. But i'll have my new phone by next Friday anyways, so not much longer i have to deal with this phone.
CBRRider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: san antonio
Posts: 147
 
Device(s): Samsung Moment
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Is there anyway i can get around taken this update?? My wife and I both have the Epic and our phones have worked perfect since day one (sorry for all those that have had so many problems...guess we just got lucky).

Seeing how our phones work perfect i don't want to take the chance and do this update only to have it screw up my phone lol (old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it).


If i am forced to take this update does it flash the phone?? Meaning do i have to reinstall everything after the update?

thanks for any help on this matter!
__________________
It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.
Julius Caesar
pattonthegen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
la sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Waukesha, WI
Gender: Male
Posts: 815
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, Nook Tablet with N2A Cards Android 4.4, Google Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 751
Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonthegen View Post
Is there anyway i can get around taken this update?? My wife and I both have the Epic and our phones have worked perfect since day one (sorry for all those that have had so many problems...guess we just got lucky).

Seeing how our phones work perfect i don't want to take the chance and do this update only to have it screw up my phone lol (old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it).


If i am forced to take this update does it flash the phone?? Meaning do i have to reinstall everything after the update?

thanks for any help on this matter!
I didn't have to reinstall anything after I accepted the update.
la sal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
kendermouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Samsung Epic 4G, Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badankles View Post
Yep, just got my OTA update this morning. I was trying to manually checked a couple of days ago and kept receiving the error message, including PRL update, so I stopped. No biggie, then saw it first thing this morning. In reading more about the "optimizer", it look to be the watered down CIQ, so of course, I made sure it was not checked. Come on Sprint, really?
Yeah, I got the update at around four o'clock this morning. (Why do they always suddenly appear during times when there's no way to get ahold of customer service if something goes wrong? x.x )

I read the popup about it collecting data, and immediately made sure it was unchecked. Hell, I barely get 3G in some areas around here - I almost never even turn the 4g antenna on at all, it's so useless. (Which, of course, makes that extra $10 or so we have to spend for it useless, but eh...)

Did not know it was still running in the background, though. Sneaky thing. I should thank la sal for the heads up on that one.

tl;dr: I wouldn't let that optimizer run if I were you. It'll run down your battery and lets Sprint read your data.
__________________
...does anyone else smell burning?
kendermouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung EPIC 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung EPIC 4G is Sprint's specially branded version of the  Samsung Galaxy S. Samsung announced all their Galaxy S devices simultaneously, and the EPIC 4G has several unique features and capabilities that help it stand out from ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Epic 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.