Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Fascinate

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 14th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #51 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nitsuj17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,648
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate, HTC Incredible, Moto X (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 212
Thanked 656 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple486 View Post
I posted I got 100 hours a week ago. But, people couldn't believe without screenshot. So, this time I tried to take some screenshots on the phone, and didn't find any way to do it because my phone is not rooted.
I just used my brother's incredible and took photo.

this time it was 111 hours which is 4days 14~15 hours.

of course, with minimal use. I definitely picked up incoming calls and used it sometimes.

oh i used GPS for about 30-40 minutes, too.. i forgot
fwiw i did believe you

Advertisements
__________________
twitter: @nitsuj17
IRC: #fascinate-themers for those thinking about getting into theming, or current themers
nitsuj17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #52 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

These overall screenshots mean nothing guys. We need to see the full monty...









On a busy day, I'll charge it 2x. Other times I can just barely squeak in a 7AM to 10PM. And no, nothing's wrong w/ the phone. I charged the Incredible 3x per day and the original DROID 1.5x per day.

Now I could go 2 days easy on the Blackberry Storm, but that's probably because I hated it.
Jodiuh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 336
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

One thing I am noticing on the phones that have battery last for a long time.....you don't actually use the phone to make calls???
reisb is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reisb For This Useful Post:
twistedandfaded (December 23rd, 2010)
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #54 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post
These overall screenshots mean nothing guys. We need to see the full monty...

On a busy day, I'll charge it 2x. Other times I can just barely squeak in a 7AM to 10PM. And no, nothing's wrong w/ the phone. I charged the Incredible 3x per day and the original DROID 1.5x per day.

Now I could go 2 days easy on the Blackberry Storm, but that's probably because I hated it.
I always says you cannot judge overall battery life on a partial drain since the percentages reported are still estimates and drain is not linear. Also you seem to be running live wallpaper which does drain more battery than static. I know the system reports it as 2% but in reality I find using static wallpaper is a big battery saver over live. But by all means run what you wanna run. You certainly seem to be a heavy user so you will not get the battery life of peeps not using their phone as much as you of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post
One thing I am noticing on the phones that have battery last for a long time.....you don't actually use the phone to make calls???
Yeah phone calls generally drain 1% battery every 3-4 minutes if the screen is off
__________________
I luv OTB
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #55 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
Also you seem to be running live wallpaper which does drain more battery than static. I know the system reports it as 2% but in reality I find using static wallpaper is a big battery saver over live.
I must have the pretty!!

The problem's that I'm too lazy to get up and use a pc or netbook, reach for the phone, and wind up doing all email, foruming, browsing, rssing, etc from there.
Jodiuh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post
I must have the pretty!!

The problem's that I'm too lazy to get up and use a pc or netbook, reach for the phone, and wind up doing all email, foruming, browsing, rssing, etc from there.
Yeah thats totally of course. Its your phone use it the way you want to. Thats the beauty of the thing. On sundays you ought to see me, laid out on the couch watching football on tv while streaming espn radio and running scorecenter app. Now under those conditions Im draining like 20% battery per hour so sure I wont make it thru the day but thats fine too a charger is never very far away
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #57 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Once you get in the habit of "putting a charger in every room," it becomes a non issue.
Jodiuh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #58 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nitsuj17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,648
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate, HTC Incredible, Moto X (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 212
Thanked 656 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
Yeah thats totally of course. Its your phone use it the way you want to. Thats the beauty of the thing. On sundays you ought to see me, laid out on the couch watching football on tv while streaming espn radio and running scorecenter app. Now under those conditions Im draining like 20% battery per hour so sure I wont make it thru the day but thats fine too a charger is never very far away
yeah the battery stats we see are based on minimal usage...but even with heavy usage for ie angry birds and browser for hours i can make it a very long time...almost equal to my former droid x....the droid x reported battery percentage by 10% increments though so it didnt seem as big a drop as it was
nitsuj17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #59 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post
Once you get in the habit of "putting a charger in every room," it becomes a non issue.
Yeah I admit I have more than one charger myself but honestly most of the time I make it thru the day as long as I start the day fully charged
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj17 View Post
yeah the battery stats we see are based on minimal usage...but even with heavy usage for ie angry birds and browser for hours i can make it a very long time...almost equal to my former droid x....the droid x reported battery percentage by 10% increments though so it didnt seem as big a drop as it was
Agreed, even under the heaviest conditions this thing still is going to last 3-4 hours which is quiet decent.
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #60 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nitsuj17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,648
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate, HTC Incredible, Moto X (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 212
Thanked 656 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
Agreed, even under the heaviest conditions this thing still is going to last 3-4 hours which is quiet decent.
id go so far as to say "very decent"...but im not that daring
nitsuj17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #61 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj17 View Post
id go so far as to say "very decent"...but im not that daring
very decent thats very daring of you to assert
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 336
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Question, how do you guys post those screen shots? I have ShootMe, but had to resize and crop to be able to attach file. Screenshots above are not file attachments. How please????
reisb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #63 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nitsuj17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,648
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate, HTC Incredible, Moto X (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 212
Thanked 656 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post
Question, how do you guys post those screen shots? I have ShootMe, but had to resize and crop to be able to attach file. Screenshots above are not file attachments. How please????
we use photobucket, dropbox, or some other sites...then post the image links in the posts
nitsuj17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 336
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

i see. thanks.
reisb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #65 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post
Question, how do you guys post those screen shots? I have ShootMe, but had to resize and crop to be able to attach file. Screenshots above are not file attachments. How please????
I upload everything directly to picasa, its quick and easy and it comes installed already. Then just paste the link, photobucket works too. If it matters picasa gives you a smaller pic when you paste it here versus photobucket so depending on which you prefer go with that one
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 336
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
I upload everything directly to picasa, its quick and easy and it comes installed already. Then just paste the link, photobucket works too. If it matters picasa gives you a smaller pic when you paste it here versus photobucket so depending on which you prefer go with that one
I don't have picasa on my phone. Is that where you mean? Or do you mean share to picasa from gallery? I've never tried that. Where does it go? I have Picasa on home computer with files on hard drive. Does it also import pics uploaded to picasa online to your gmail acct?
reisb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #67 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post
I don't have picasa on my phone. Is that where you mean? Or do you mean share to picasa from gallery? I've never tried that. Where does it go? I have Picasa on home computer with files on hard drive. Does it also import pics uploaded to picasa online to your gmail acct?
Picasa from gallery.
Yeah its sync'd to your same gmail addy you set your phone up on and yes you can send pics to and from the online site. Any pics you upload go to picasa web albums > my photos > dropbox
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saps For This Useful Post:
reisb (December 17th, 2010)
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 336
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

test.

reisb is offline  
Last edited by reisb; December 17th, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post
test.

Keep trying I answered your PM
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 336
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Ok, I think I may have figured out my problem. Now I'm at a catch22.

GPS off: similar talk time, more browsing, 17hrs later still at 31%.

Now I don't mind turning GPS on when I need it (Navigation, etc).

Reason I had been leaving it on all the time was "Where's My Droid" app. If I lose my phone, I can GPS my droid and it will give me location. With GPS off, you get "Sorry GPS is not turned on. I cannot do anything"

Hence my Catch22. Either poor battery or no way to GPS Droid.
reisb is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #71 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
mario8267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 52
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Do a "bump Charge" that works great!!!!
mario8267 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,092
 
Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 337
Thanked 504 Times in 407 Posts
Default

nemesis2all test kernel uv thru and thru

thats 1% drain in 3 hours of minimal use, I sent 4 texts and received 9 during this time though. This thing really sips battery on sleep mode at 100Mhz
saps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 336
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario8267 View Post
Do a "bump Charge" that works great!!!!
???
reisb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #74 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nitsuj17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,648
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate, HTC Incredible, Moto X (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 212
Thanked 656 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario8267 View Post
Do a "bump Charge" that works great!!!!
Bump charging is for htc phones
nitsuj17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:53 AM   #75 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
...thats 1% drain in 3 hours of minimal use, I sent 4 texts and received 9 during this time though. This thing really sips battery on sleep mode at 100Mhz
How many data pulling apps were running during this time? (Newsrob, Wordfeud, Agenda Widget, Weatherbug, Catch, etc.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj17 View Post
Bump charging is for htc phones
What does it do?
Jodiuh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:06 AM   #76 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nitsuj17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,648
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate, HTC Incredible, Moto X (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 212
Thanked 656 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post
What does it do?
there is a known issue with the droid incredible (and other htc phones if i recall) where the system reports the battery being at 100% and fully charged when in reality its probably 93-95% full.

that is why on an incredible you may notice that almost instantly when off the charger the phone drops down 5-7% in 5 minutes.

apparently this cant be correctly with software updates, and the only way to *fully* charge the phone is *bump* charging.

basically once the phone hits 100% and the led goes green. you leave the phone plugged into the wall and power-off. you ll notice the led goes orange indicated a not full charge.

once the led is green again...you are at 100%
nitsuj17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:42 PM   #77 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,011
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 79 Times in 40 Posts
Default

The "data pulling apps" -- how can I ensure that they do NOT pull data? They're not always active in the background (via System Panel), am I right? I have some of those apps but they don't seem to show up as running in background.

Would this be the "background data" setting that I should turn off? If so, I'd like to still receive my gmail, albeit maybe just in set intervals (and nothing being gmail/calendar as auto pulling data).

What setting should I adjust?
Bearly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:26 PM   #78 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj17 View Post
basically once the phone hits 100% and the led goes green. you leave the phone plugged into the wall and power-off. you ll notice the led goes orange indicated a not full charge.

once the led is green again...you are at 100%
This happens w/ my Fascinate.

When I first read "bump charging" I had this picture in my head of 2 HTC's "fist bumping" in the air and instantly becoming charged.
Jodiuh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 336
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

This may need to go in another topic, but last 3 days, battery has been substantially worse. It's not from adding any apps. I look at my battery useage and click on cell standby. It usually says Time without signal 0%-5%.

Last 3 days, it's in the 40%-60% range. Called verizon and shocker, no towers are out...
reisb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #80 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Galaxy S Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Turn off your wifi.. your battery life will dramatically improve. If I have wifi on, it will drain over night.. If it's off, it will be almost full charge still in the morning, without charging.
Gangularis is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 24th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #81 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 336
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangularis View Post
Turn off your wifi.. your battery life will dramatically improve. If I have wifi on, it will drain over night.. If it's off, it will be almost full charge still in the morning, without charging.
No wifi, no gps, no bluetooth.

Just started in last 3 days. I'm now at almost 10 hours unplugged and 53% time without a signal according to battery useage.
reisb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #82 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Galaxy S Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post
No wifi, no gps, no bluetooth.

Just started in last 3 days. I'm now at almost 10 hours unplugged and 53% time without a signal according to battery useage.

I leave GPS on. It doesn't really make as huge a dent in battery life as wifi does.
Gangularis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #83 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 336
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post
This may need to go in another topic, but last 3 days, battery has been substantially worse. It's not from adding any apps. I look at my battery useage and click on cell standby. It usually says Time without signal 0%-5%.

Last 3 days, it's in the 40%-60% range. Called verizon and shocker, no towers are out...
OK, so I didn't really figure out WHY, but...
Over past 3 days, I tried powering off/on the phone with power button and that didn't work. Last night I figured I would try pulling the battery. BAM, now I'm fine.

No idea how that would change my signal strength, but today 5 1/2 hours since unplugged, 0% without a signal. hmmm
reisb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #84 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
imneveral0ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan, United States
Gender: Male
Posts: 96
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 15
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne
Default

[IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17392812/snap20101227_023117.png[/IMG

not bad for almost 9 hours i think lol
__________________
Samsung Galaxy Nexus Verizon
imneveral0ne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #85 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imneveral0ne View Post


not bad for almost 9 hours i think lol
There ya go.

How many hours was the display on?
Jodiuh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #86 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 208
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Default



Didn't use the phone much over Christmas being around family most of the time, so decided how far it would go. Had about 5percent left, 20 min talk time, just over a hour of screen time, some texting, a couple pictures taken and some Pandora. Have a couple weather widgets, 2 clocks, 2 calender widgets and a headline one.
miyooper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #87 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
imneveral0ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan, United States
Gender: Male
Posts: 96
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 15
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post
There ya go.

How many hours was the display on?
how do you figure that out?
imneveral0ne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #88 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Tap display. Tap any of them for more detail. Cell standby's a fun one and you'll see CPU time for apps.
Jodiuh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #89 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
imneveral0ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan, United States
Gender: Male
Posts: 96
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 15
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post
Tap display. Tap any of them for more detail. Cell standby's a fun one and you'll see CPU time for apps.
ahh, well too late now lol. that was last night, and the phones charging/tethering atm :-p
imneveral0ne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #90 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Sure...

On a lighter note, I took it from the wall down to 60% in about 3 hours yesterday.
Jodiuh is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 31st, 2010, 06:17 PM   #91 (permalink)
GHR
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chatsworth, California
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): Samsung Fantasy
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Battery life

I have a standard stock battery in my Fascinate and it will last a couple days if I have the GPS and WiFi turned off. If I use the WiFi, the battery will last 8 hours max; If I use the GPS, I'm lucky to get 4 hours. It doesn't seem to matter which apps are running or if I'm talking a lot. I did get a 1500 mah battery from EBAY and it's great. I use it when I'm away from home and using the GPS mapping and nav services, and it will last a couple days. It came with a new back case for the Fantasy, because it's twice as thick as the standard battery, so I don't use it most days.
GHR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 08:27 PM   #92 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I'm getting a lot better battery life w/ screen filter. Typically use 55% ~ 70% setting. I have noticed the thing gobbling up a hundred megs of ram though.
Jodiuh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #93 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 32
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

One thing I haven't seen discussed very much with regards to the Fascinate battery life is cell reception. I got my Fascinate over the Christmas holiday and seemed to get pretty decent battery life considering how much I was playing with it. I expected battery life to gradually improve as I settled in to the phone.

As it turns out I get horrible cell reception at my desk at work. My understanding is that this can drain the battery quite a bit faster than if you had a strong signal, especially with auto-sync enabled. Considering I spend about 9 hours in the building, this could be sucking my battery and I would really have no hard stats to confirm this, right? So could the variation in battery life be due to cell strength? Can those with a 1-2 day+ life confirm they have a strong signal throughout the day?
rowuncw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #94 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 208
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I think that signal strength will make a difference. At home I have a good signal and easily can last a couple days. But taking it to camp with a week signal it drains faster and have to make sure I plug it in every night.
miyooper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #95 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 123
 
Device(s): Fascinate EB01/voodoo5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

My contribution to this thread:



DJ05 rooted (with some manual debloating) + geeknik stupidfast 1.54 undervolted.
rigglemania is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #96 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowuncw View Post
One thing I haven't seen discussed very much with regards to the Fascinate battery life is cell reception. I got my Fascinate over the Christmas holiday and seemed to get pretty decent battery life considering how much I was playing with it. I expected battery life to gradually improve as I settled in to the phone.

As it turns out I get horrible cell reception at my desk at work. My understanding is that this can drain the battery quite a bit faster than if you had a strong signal, especially with auto-sync enabled. Considering I spend about 9 hours in the building, this could be sucking my battery and I would really have no hard stats to confirm this, right? So could the variation in battery life be due to cell strength? Can those with a 1-2 day+ life confirm they have a strong signal throughout the day?
Check Settings > About phone > Battery use > Cell standby
Under "Use details" you will see "Time without a signal".

I have seen mine listed over 50% sometimes and it shows with the low battery life. My signal strength at work depends on where I sit my phone. Some places on my desk get 3 bars, while others show 0 bars. I also sit on the top floor right next to the windows. Even outside the signal bars are always jumping. Very rarely does the phone keep a 4 bar signal lock.

I wonder if it has something to do with the way 3G operates. Kind of like wireless B can stretch further than wireless G, but can only run at 10 Mb.

I also noticed my phone constantly jumps from cell tower to cell tower. Even when I am sitting still.

Tim
thornbeck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #97 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 336
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbeck View Post
Check Settings > About phone > Battery use > Cell standby
Under "Use details" you will see "Time without a signal".

I have seen mine listed over 50% sometimes and it shows with the low battery life. My signal strength at work depends on where I sit my phone. Some places on my desk get 3 bars, while others show 0 bars. I also sit on the top floor right next to the windows. Even outside the signal bars are always jumping. Very rarely does the phone keep a 4 bar signal lock.

I wonder if it has something to do with the way 3G operates. Kind of like wireless B can stretch further than wireless G, but can only run at 10 Mb.

I also noticed my phone constantly jumps from cell tower to cell tower. Even when I am sitting still.

Tim
Yes, as you can see from my posts above, signal strength has everything to do with this. When you get to the "battery use" screen, be sure to click on "cell standby" to confirm "time without a signal".

This has to do with Fascinate's bad signal. It is a known problem (along with the GPS) and I hope Mondays update (if there is one) is this more than 2.2.

My wife has an Eris and she and I when is same restaurant, etc, she has 1 bar or so and I bounce from 0 to 1 to 2 and back. Her battery status shows 0% without a signal and mine just rises the longer I'm there. Highest I've had at and of day was 68%.

I can go 2 days if I'm in great coverage to 10 hours if not.
reisb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #98 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If Fascinate users have a case, what type of case? If the Fascinate, by itself, gets poor signal strength, how does a full protective case (sides and back) affect signal strength?

On a side note, I've been at my desk for about 8 hours and my "Time without a signal" is 27%. So my phone has only had service for 2/3rds of the time at my desk.

-Tim
thornbeck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #99 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 70
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm going to start working on this to see what improves my battery life. Right now I'm running DJ05 and the supplied kernel file but I run Wifi/GPS on all the time and text quite heavy. I get around a full day of usage right now but I hardly make phone calls and our signal is usually about a bar. I also use Beautiful Widgets with refresh set to 30 min and the facebook widget set to update pretty quick, also the FML widget updates regularly.

Going to try turning Wifi/GPS off first and see where that gets me. I want to try a new kernel file out too, which is recommended?
92GreenGT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #100 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just check my "Time without a signal" and it is 32% for 13 hours. I was even at home all day today. I guess cell service is bad at my home and my work.

I wonder where the cell service is actually good?

Very disappointed in the cell performance of the Fascinate.

My wife is sitting next to me with her Blackberry and she is getting 3 to 4 bars constantly. While my Fascinate reads 1 to 2 bars and sometimes Zero.

- Tim
thornbeck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Fascinate
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Fascinate is the Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy S line of phones. Much like it's brothers, it includes the same 5.0MP camera capable of taking some of the best quality 720p HD video at 30fps. Unlike the other Galaxy S phones ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Fascinate
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.