Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy 551

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Receiving the same sms repeatedly for days

My Samsung Galaxy 551 has started receiving the same SMS repeatedly, for days on end. I have only had it for a couple of months and it's been fine up till a couple of weeks ago. The senders are on different networks (as far as i know), and I have tried deleting the entire message thread with no result. The same SMS just keeps coming. I am on a Virgin pay monthly, btw. Have wondered if rooting the phone would solve this, or has anyone else found a solution? many thanks!

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Received same SMS repeatedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoragToerag View Post
My Samsung Galaxy 551 has started receiving the same SMS repeatedly, for days on end. I have only had it for a couple of months and it's been fine up till a couple of weeks ago. The senders are on different networks (as far as i know), and I have tried deleting the entire message thread with no result. The same SMS just keeps coming. I am on a Virgin pay monthly, btw. Have wondered if rooting the phone would solve this, or has anyone else found a solution? many thanks!
I also having the same problem, two weeks ago I received same sms from two friends repeatly. I swap my SIM card to another phone. After that same SMS came in (once). It stop. After that I swap it back to the Samsung Galaxy 551. The problem goes away. After two weeks, the same problem happen again. The same SMS came from the same two persons from their last SMS to me. I still receiving SMS from other friend without getting repeated SMS.

Can anyone advice me?
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,300 Posts
Notsure

Well if you are receiving it twice ,there is a way out.If you use Handcent then uninstall handcent and get another app like chomp.
If not then-
You will need to root phone and replace the messaging apps extension of apk to bak.I think mms.apk is the messaging app.On a safe side you should know to hard reset you phone and flash a firmware because ,I cant guarantee the result.
Old April 16th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,300 Posts

Oh yeah after renaming the apk.You can either install a custom mms.apk or use app like handcent or chomp to send/receive message.This method is tricky .
In a rooted phone ,in terminal Emulator
type
$su
# mount remount/rw /system
#mv /system/app/mms.apk /system/app/mms.apk.bak

Job done

now if you have custom mms.apk in sd card
then
#cp /sdcard/mms.apk /system/app/mms.apk
Job done

Samsung Galaxy 551
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Here comes Samsung with yet another phone in the Galaxy line. This time it's in the form of the full QWERTY Samsung Galaxy 551. With a 3.2 inch screen and a full slide out QWERTY keyboard, the Galaxy 551 is a nice mid level Android phone f... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy 551