Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Ace

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #51 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: mid Surrey
Posts: 60
 
Device(s): HTC Hero (actually, a G2-Touch) and more recently a Samsung ACE S5830
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob89 View Post
Hi new here.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
Got the phone on 1st April and since then it has randomly turned itself off twice, then I need to manually turn it on.

First happened over night and found it was turn off in the morning with alot of battery life.
Then again in the afternoon same day with alot of battery life.

Made contact with my contract provider and they says it's software related and my phone is just a 1 of few... They are sending me a new one to replace but I honestly think it will occur again.

Only apps I have installed are, Facebook, Ebay, Twitter and Google Goggles.

Anyone have any ideas or solutions?
I'll be contacting Samsung in the morning too.
Yes - me too. Brand new phone. HOWEVER, I do not think the phone is switching off, I think it is stuck in standby (because the alarm still came on in the morning which smartphones do not do when off). I have performed a hard reset (switch on and hold in menu + power). So far, this seems to have helped.

Advertisements
dca860 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #52 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hello Bought my Galaxy ace 15 days ago ! and facing some problem !!!

it suddenly goes off when I call it it rings on the phone but the ace never wake up untill i have to do a battery pull reset and then there is no log of the missed calls or emails etc...

when at home and work I am always connected via WIFI to email/ facebook and twitter !!!

so if I am turning them off what's the use of the mobile !!!! that really piss me off !!!

How can we downgrade it to the previous firmware or the problem is also at all firmwares !

samsung should work on solving this SOON !
ahassanmaly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #53 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I suggest that each one of us sends an email to Samsung telling them about this problem. We should send the emails to one email address so they become aware that many people are facing this problem.

What do you think?
Haisook is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #54 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My alarm does not go off when this happens. Hmmm
pomfretts is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #55 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomfretts View Post
My alarm does not go off when this happens. Hmmm
me too and it happened this morning!!

Could it be to do with battery saving apps perhaps? What apps do people have that are constantly running? Maybe there is a bug and we all have that same app!

I have Battery Saver and Y5 that run constantly.
Cardboard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #56 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Phone randomly turning off....solved!

Bought my ace 3 weeks ago. Got the problem of the phone turning off by itself. Took it back to samsung twice but the problem persisted. Went back the third time and this time the motherboard was replaced and its been a week now and not experiencing any more self shut down by the phone. Its behaving well ever since. Just want to share my experience with everybody.
croq is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to croq For This Useful Post:
Juviene (June 5th, 2011)
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #57 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Intermittent self-shut off problem with my Galaxy Ace as well. Samsung Singapore replaced the motherboard and had my phone delivered to my place, free-of-charge, within a day! Inspite of great customer service from Samsung, unfortunately, the problem still occurs.
wincs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #58 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 45
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default No more problems

Hy guys. I recently purchased Ace and I have SODs from first day. On Monday, I updated to Gingerbread 2.3.3 and since then, I didn't experienced any issues with my phone. I'm very pleased with my Ace now.
error974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #59 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So when they release the gingerbread update, then maybe all will be OK?

Any ideas when they will officially release it?
Cardboard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #60 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 45
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I think that KPE version which is on samfirmware site is official one. I flashed trough ODIN, and KIES now says "It's the latest firmware".
error974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #61 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eechua View Post
Me too I noticed that my brand new Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830 shuts down by itself when I am using the Wi-fi.

It occurs maybe 2 to 3 hours after I turn on the Wi-fi

I tried changing the Wifi Sleep Policy to Never and Never when plugged in but still the same result.

After it shutsdown, I can't turn on using the power button. I have to take out the battery and turn it on.

1.) I tried emailing Samsung Customer service and this is the reply I got:

Thank you for contacting Samsung Philippines.

With regard to your WiFi issue, may we know if there are running applications when phone shuts off? This
will allow us to isolate what was causing the automatic shut down of your phone...

Please do not reply back to this email message as this email address is
used for outbound messages only.


Sincerely

Samsung Philippines

// So where will I reply back?

2.) I tried calling their hotline. After waiting for so long they told me to bring it to there Samsung Mobile center

3.) When I visited the Samsung Mobile Center, which again made me wait for so long. The person in charge just said that this is the first time they encountered this type of problem. So this is the only option given to me:

Leave my phone at the Samsung Mobile Center. Processing time will take 5 days plus the observation and repair maybe 1 to 2 weeks.

So that means I have to back up my data erase everything and cant use my new phone for maybe 2 to 3 weeks...

I'd like to highlight Samsung's great customer service...

Hi all here .......... your cell auto shutdown problem is due to wifi ( which is totally a android problem not a samsung problem ) so i had same problem so pls guys pls for the solution go to Android market search the App " WifiManager" install it and Run the program and forget everything ............ it wont let ur cell sleeeeeeeeeeeep again ......... and better if u guys get another app " Android booster " it'll also help u ....... have a great day guys .....
salman92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #62 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salman92 View Post
Hi all here .......... your cell auto shutdown problem is due to wifi ( which is totally a android problem not a samsung problem ) so i had same problem so pls guys pls for the solution go to Android market search the App " WifiManager" install it and Run the program and forget everything ............ it wont let ur cell sleeeeeeeeeeeep again ......... and better if u guys get another app " Android booster " it'll also help u ....... have a great day guys .....

Dear salman92

I've already installed both applications Android booster and wifi manager and my Phone is still suffering from the Sleep of Death !

is there any special settings that I Should select in any of the 2 programs or not ?
ahassanmaly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #63 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 99
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

it looks like there's no real fix so far except for never letting wifi go to sleep? so since i'm unable to leave my wifi on without sucking all life out of my battery, is there an app that let's you easily turn on wifi periodically for syncing purposes like mail, weather, etc? i already know it'd be possible with timeriffic but i'm hoping for something simpler to use...
aktifit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #64 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: India
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to Juviene mayurakshi.depp
Default

Hey. My phone is a few days old and I have been having the same problem for the first day itself. I am thankful to you for posting this. Your post was helpful.
Juviene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #65 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
 
Device(s): S5830 (Ace)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok time to throw a spanner in the works because i dont think its anything to do with wifi at all.

Lets look at the symptoms, phone appears off but it isnt but screen isnt responding.
Requires reboot to work properly again whether that means removing battery or via power button which take more than one press, thus implying you are in fact turning it off first.

I say its the proximity sensor on the front turning the screen off but failing to allow it to turn back on. Hence the reason it seems off when in fact it isnt, as for fix that is beyond me but maybe somebody else can figure that out
gungy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #66 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungy View Post
Ok time to throw a spanner in the works because i dont think its anything to do with wifi at all.

Lets look at the symptoms, phone appears off but it isnt but screen isnt responding.
Requires reboot to work properly again whether that means removing battery or via power button which take more than one press, thus implying you are in fact turning it off first.

I say its the proximity sensor on the front turning the screen off but failing to allow it to turn back on. Hence the reason it seems off when in fact it isnt, as for fix that is beyond me but maybe somebody else can figure that out
Smart thinking, but it can't explain why the phone does this only while WiFi is on.
Haisook is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #67 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
 
Device(s): S5830 (Ace)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haisook View Post
Smart thinking, but it can't explain why the phone does this only while WiFi is on.
Maybe the wifi auto off feature ( for lack of knowledge gonna say dll ) is controled by a very similar dll to the one that controls screen off. And that is the reason it seems to improve the situation but not entirely fix it. Ive been looking for some way to turn off the proximity sensor completely to test this.
gungy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #68 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chismay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: LONDON
Posts: 603
 
Device(s): ACER ICONIA TAB A500 3.2.1 MISCROLL 1GHZ TAB 2.3, SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE 2.3 HTC HERO GSM CYANOGENMOD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 32
Thanked 146 Times in 83 Posts
Default

this problem persist even with my wifi off..

i didnt know the phone was actually still on i thought it completely shuts itself down. learning that i would think its something other then wifi causing the problem too.

maybe just a bug it doesn happen sometimes on my android tablet scroll. it doesnt happen on me htc hero gsm but thats loaded with cyanogenmod.
chismay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #69 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 99
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

so i didn't have my wifi sleep for the last two days and it never went unresponsive, instead it once just randomly rebooted... well that's an improvemnt, but not really what i want
aktifit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #70 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Good news: There is a solution!

Recently I upgraded my Galaxy Ace to 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) OS and the problem solved. The phone no longer shuts itself off when switching on the Wifi
The upgrade is not yet official, that's why is not available in Samsung Kies software.
Unfortunately I don't have an english language tutorial for it but I guess you can find it easily with google. Moreover, the phone became faster as well so it's worth upgrading!
homola_m is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #71 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi, All:
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Ace a month ago, and I had same trouble you all said.
I had a SOD a few times a day, so I tried many App. but symptom was not changed.
But after installing Advanced WiFi Lock Free, this symptom is never happen for six days in a row.
(Now still testing)
I know this App. increase battery consumption, but within my usage, it is not big problem.
Please try this app.
Blowning is offline  
Last edited by Blowning; May 29th, 2011 at 12:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #72 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi Everyone,
Good to see that a lot of guys share my grief about my first Sumsung and first android (I hope that Samsung is not my last android brand) switching from Nokia. My choice is to use the workaround - "Use WiFi only when required". At all other time, I have my GPRS data plan.

I like this thread, I have already bookmarked it. Thanks for all who have provided workarounds but I hope Samsung would come out with some kind of a fix for this issue at least for the ones who are having this trouble.
Wyctafitrti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #73 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

To all users,

Samsung has announced Gingerbread (Android OS 2.3) update for all galaxy phones including Ace and Gio. It will be released soon, and I think it will fix this issue.
Haisook is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #74 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Amman, Jordan
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you all for the input in this thread, waiting for Gingerbread to solve the problem!
currently keeping my wifi off unless used
haithem is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #75 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 99
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

well i've been using gingerbread for almost a week now and it didn't happen, but my wifi battery usage was surprisingly high so maybe the sleep function just doesn't work properly anymore, or that's just normal i don't know
aktifit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #76 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: India
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to Juviene mayurakshi.depp
Default

I have been facing the same problem. I bought this phone on 8th May and after charging I found myself facing this problem from the very first day. Couldn't contact the store or the service center because I had exams and thats how I got too late. I don't know about anywhere else, but in India, when I contacted the Samsung Service Center, they said they would have replaced the handset if I would have showed up with the problem within four days post purchase. I showed up a month later. So, they said, they will fix it. Although, after reading what you guys posted, I really don't know how. I feel like crying. Should have gone for HTC.
Juviene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #77 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: India
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to Juviene mayurakshi.depp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotoyKamote View Post
What do you do after a shutdown? how do you revive the screen? In my case after a shutdown I press powerbutton for 15 seconds++ for a restart. MissedCalls and SMS made during screenblackout did not register in my case.
I did not know about that method. Being a former Blackberry user, I usually do battery pulls. Solves the problem, but I am worried sick. This is not a normal problem. Very, very few galaxy ace users have this kind kind of problem. We just got unlucky I guess.
Juviene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #78 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: India
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to Juviene mayurakshi.depp
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eechua View Post
Me too I noticed that my brand new Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830 shuts down by itself when I am using the Wi-fi.

It occurs maybe 2 to 3 hours after I turn on the Wi-fi

I tried changing the Wifi Sleep Policy to Never and Never when plugged in but still the same result.

After it shutsdown, I can't turn on using the power button. I have to take out the battery and turn it on.

1.) I tried emailing Samsung Customer service and this is the reply I got:

Thank you for contacting Samsung Philippines.

With regard to your WiFi issue, may we know if there are running applications when phone shuts off? This
will allow us to isolate what was causing the automatic shut down of your phone...

Please do not reply back to this email message as this email address is
used for outbound messages only.


Sincerely

Samsung Philippines

// So where will I reply back?

2.) I tried calling their hotline. After waiting for so long they told me to bring it to there Samsung Mobile center

3.) When I visited the Samsung Mobile Center, which again made me wait for so long. The person in charge just said that this is the first time they encountered this type of problem. So this is the only option given to me:

Leave my phone at the Samsung Mobile Center. Processing time will take 5 days plus the observation and repair maybe 1 to 2 weeks.

So that means I have to back up my data erase everything and cant use my new phone for maybe 2 to 3 weeks...

I'd like to highlight Samsung's great customer service...
I never tried fixing the wifi mode. But I should take into account, the fact that my phone did not turn itself off as frequently as many of yours did. May be 6 or 7 times in a month. Still, its a problem much worth looking into. As for the Samsung Service Center, only Jesus knows what they are up to. Same thing happened to me. Went there last Thursday. They kept it for "repairing" . Would be getting it back tomorrow. Dunno what good will come off this. Feels like its a frigging health check up and I am about to be told that my phone's got cancer!
Juviene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #79 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: India
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to Juviene mayurakshi.depp
Notsure

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismay View Post
this problem persist even with my wifi off..

i didnt know the phone was actually still on i thought it completely shuts itself down. learning that i would think its something other then wifi causing the problem too.

maybe just a bug it doesn happen sometimes on my android tablet scroll. it doesnt happen on me htc hero gsm but thats loaded with cyanogenmod.
After reading all your posts, I am starting to realize that wifi is not the issue here. I faced this problem when I didn't even turn on my phone. It happened after I charged it for the first time for twelve hours and when I tried to switch it on with the power button, nothing happened. Did a battery pull. And now its being repaired in the service center. Honestly, fellas, I think its a hardware problem. And if anyone is rethinking about replacing the device with an HTC Desire or something like that, please do it.
Juviene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #80 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: India
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to Juviene mayurakshi.depp
Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haisook View Post
I suggest that each one of us sends an email to Samsung telling them about this problem. We should send the emails to one email address so they become aware that many people are facing this problem.

What do you think?
This is totally brill, if and only if Samsung wishes to replace the Galaxy Ace model with a Galaxy S II one...
I know..."keep dreaming"...right?!
Juviene is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:31 AM   #81 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 77
 
Device(s): Samsung Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
theaish
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juviene View Post
After reading all your posts, I am starting to realize that wifi is not the issue here. I faced this problem when I didn't even turn on my phone. It happened after I charged it for the first time for twelve hours and when I tried to switch it on with the power button, nothing happened. Did a battery pull. And now its being repaired in the service center. Honestly, fellas, I think its a hardware problem. And if anyone is rethinking about replacing the device with an HTC Desire or something like that, please do it.
the problem you faced was something different, caz this happens to my cell only and only when wifi is ON, this prob never occured when wifi was OFF.
aish_varya is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #82 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
 
Device(s): S5830 (Ace)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well had first for me last night. I was mid way through a call to my provider regarding the issue in question. And i pulled my phone away from my ear to check something and it had done it. So i had to pull my battery to end the call, the guy on the other end just thought i was joking

seems we are getting the usual idside (i didnt see it, it doesnt exist) attitude.
gungy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #83 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Happened to me too. Bought from a mobile phone booth outside Carrefour Hypermarket, Seberang Jaya, Penang, Malaysia. Only one day usage i need to visit the booth again. Sent for repair. I think they sent to Samsung Center. Only 2 weeks later i got it back. Well, they created another annoying problem. Now, the phone can't be charged. So, returned it back 2 days ago. So now i am smartphone-less. I thought the booth sold me a problematic one but luckily this forum highlighted the problem i faced...so, it's Samsung. Need to wait until don't know how long. Felt regret buying this phone. It's unfair really, but here consumer right is not privileged... too bad.
zack75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #84 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have the same problem. I had my first 'phone sent off for repair - that didn't fix it so I got a replacement and that has the same problem.
I've tried putting the latest version of Android on ( 2.3.3 ) but that hasn't fixed it.

There is always a little delay when I press the home button before the screen comes on - I hold my breath and hope for the best. I know if it's not going to wake up if the menu and back buttons don't light up.
comrade.wolfie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #85 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade.wolfie View Post
I have the same problem. I had my first 'phone sent off for repair - that didn't fix it so I got a replacement and that has the same problem.
I've tried putting the latest version of Android on ( 2.3.3 ) but that hasn't fixed it.

There is always a little delay when I press the home button before the screen comes on - I hold my breath and hope for the best. I know if it's not going to wake up if the menu and back buttons don't light up.
Hi!

Yes you're right. Previously I wrote that Android 2.3.3 fixes the problem, but actually it doesn't solve the issue, however it happens much more rarely than with the previous Android OS so it's worth upgrading.
Personally I think it's a little annoying that after pressing the home button you have to wait for the screen turns on...
homola_m is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #86 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surprised same switching off problem here

I to am facing the same problem...hav tried all d above solutions but none worked...i had purchased it on 1st june 2011 the problem was there ever since i purchased it. Now after trying everything to solve the problem I spoke to my retailer and he was kind enough to say he would replace it. Hope it works this time but i am wondering if all or most of the galaxy ace users r facing the same problem...please reply
COOLGUY_150 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #87 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well, i sold off my 2-week old Ace today (it is still in Samsung Center for repairing). Traded-in with HTC Wildfire. Just add a few 2 digits dollars. Thanks to John, the booth owner for his consideration. Goodbye Ace.
zack75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #88 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLGUY_150 View Post
I to am facing the same problem...hav tried all d above solutions but none worked...i had purchased it on 1st june 2011 the problem was there ever since i purchased it. Now after trying everything to solve the problem I spoke to my retailer and he was kind enough to say he would replace it. Hope it works this time but i am wondering if all or most of the galaxy ace users r facing the same problem...please reply

Please let us know if your replacement has the same problem or not. Then I'll know if I need to get mine replaced or not!
Cardboard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #89 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking ace replacement update

6 HOURS PAST SINCE I GOT MY ACE REPLACED AND TILL NOW IT DIDNT SWITCH OFF EVEN ONCE ALTHOUGH MY WIFI IS ON CONTINUOUSLY (this is for those who say its because of d wifi) Looks like the first ace i got was a defective one, im currently happy with the new one will update u if there is any problem further
COOLGUY_150 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #90 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktifit View Post
it looks like there's no real fix so far except for never letting wifi go to sleep? so since i'm unable to leave my wifi on without sucking all life out of my battery, is there an app that let's you easily turn on wifi periodically for syncing purposes like mail, weather, etc? i already know it'd be possible with timeriffic but i'm hoping for something simpler to use...
try using JuiceDefender
peytal is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #91 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
 
Device(s): S5830 (Ace)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well i gave up and got mine replaced on the 6th of june, really cool brand spanking new phone delivered in less than 24 hrs. not impressed had exactly the same issue, i called up again and complained. got told point blank from this point onwards it send it back for repairs etc etc.

well this prompted me to find a solution for the problem that works.

AND I FOUND THE SOLUTION

I used my knowledge of consumer law (in the UK) and the gift of the gab to get myself a desire S that will be arriving in about 12 hours. same cost contract wise (desire would be double the price for the handset free over what i was paying for the ace) and it has flash player support. problem solved sorry guys but i couldn't take it anymore, hope you all get a fix soon.
gungy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #92 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungy View Post
Well i gave up and got mine replaced on the 6th of june, really cool brand spanking new phone delivered in less than 24 hrs. not impressed had exactly the same issue, i called up again and complained. got told point blank from this point onwards it send it back for repairs etc etc.

well this prompted me to find a solution for the problem that works.

AND I FOUND THE SOLUTION

I used my knowledge of consumer law (in the UK) and the gift of the gab to get myself a desire S that will be arriving in about 12 hours. same cost contract wise (desire would be double the price for the handset free over what i was paying for the ace) and it has flash player support. problem solved sorry guys but i couldn't take it anymore, hope you all get a fix soon.



Don't lose hope troops. The darkest night is always before the fix.
daolak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #93 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 224
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 92 Times in 25 Posts
Default

hello guys
i bought the ace 3days back. till now i haven't used wifi and dont have the mentioned problem.

but i am having a different problem.
my phone restarts randomly. It has happened 3-4 times till now.
What happens is this: screen seems to become unresponsive for say 4-5 seconds and then i see the samsung logo glowing on and off (which happens in the last stage of normal boot). Seems sort of a QUICK reboot. Anybody else having this problem?
Any suggetions?
praky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #94 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i'm having the same problem too.
Replacement or sending for repair seems not a option for me as i don't have the time to deal with the dealer or customer service center. Rather I take a as a small tech question that i enjoy finding the answer. Just as like my students day, when i enjoyed trouble shooting my Linux computer.
Both two workarounds are very helpful. Thank you guys.
al3x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #95 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob89 View Post
Hi new here.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
Got the phone on 1st April and since then it has randomly turned itself off twice, then I need to manually turn it on.

First happened over night and found it was turn off in the morning with alot of battery life.
Then again in the afternoon same day with alot of battery life.

Made contact with my contract provider and they says it's software related and my phone is just a 1 of few... They are sending me a new one to replace but I honestly think it will occur again.

Only apps I have installed are, Facebook, Ebay, Twitter and Google Goggles.

Anyone have any ideas or solutions?
I'll be contacting Samsung in the morning too.
I bought mine a month ago and its been back to vodafone twice. This morning I was informed that they could again find no fault. Google the problem and it becomes quite obvious its a common fault. I have refused to take the phone back and will go the legal route. Also I was told that this was the first time this promlem had been encountered... BullS**T
sir_scholes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #96 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 224
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 92 Times in 25 Posts
Default

In regard of my previous problem (of phone restarting), I noticed that it was happening when my ram was too overloaded with heavy apps running in background simultaneously.

Now that problem solved, I am encountering the one you are all having.

While using internet on my PC via USB tethering via Samsung Kies, the phone sometimes dies(switches off). And I have to restart it only after taking out the battery and putting it back.
Though wifi has nothing to do with it, I have my wifi sleep policy at 'never'.
praky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #97 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chismay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: LONDON
Posts: 603
 
Device(s): ACER ICONIA TAB A500 3.2.1 MISCROLL 1GHZ TAB 2.3, SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE 2.3 HTC HERO GSM CYANOGENMOD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 32
Thanked 146 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praky View Post
hello guys
i bought the ace 3days back. till now i haven't used wifi and dont have the mentioned problem.

but i am having a different problem.
my phone restarts randomly. It has happened 3-4 times till now.
What happens is this: screen seems to become unresponsive for say 4-5 seconds and then i see the samsung logo glowing on and off (which happens in the last stage of normal boot). Seems sort of a QUICK reboot. Anybody else having this problem?
Any suggetions?
thats a soft reset,
im sure this is due to ram overload, (not enough) im hoping soon someone will hack-a-mod to extaned the internal ram and internal memory
chismay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #98 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace S5830
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sajidmahe
Default SOD from Dubai

Hi Guys,
Bought my Ace on 03/06/11 and been stressed out with (1) battery drain ever since. Now add (2) SOD starting today and guess what, I am beginning to hate Samsung.

Bought it from Jumbo, Dubai, not with any plans (unlike some lucky guys in here) so it seems like I will have to go through after sales hell. Data plans cost crazy here so no way I can switch off wifi. Would love to try gingerbread but can't do that before going to store; don't want to be told warranty is void blah blah.

Will keep you posted. Meanwhile let me get some anti depressants.
sajidtp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #99 (permalink)
ral
Senior Member
 
ral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,546
 
Device(s): BlackBerry Z10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 692
Thanked 955 Times in 569 Posts
Default

Got a Galaxy Ace for my wife four days ago. It had two SOD's on the first day so I tried setting WiFi sleep policy to "Never". It stayed quiet for two days. Today, it had three SOD's. On the third SOD I left the phone alone so I could show it to the CS of the place where I bought it. Apparently this large appliance chain has no in-house technicians so they want me to take it to a service center or leave it with them for a few days so they could take it themselves.

I told them to ____ it, and give me back the defective phone so I could just file a complaint under the Consumer Protection Act... and they opted to replace the phone.

I hope the problem is just with the unit. I understand QC these days is not what it used to be. I do not mind having to return a product, but having to waste time getting a replacement... the seller and manufacturer should feel apologetic for releasing a defective unit in the market and not waste the customers time.

Sorry for the rant, but...

Anyway, what useful thing did I discover... when the phone wont wake from sleep it is actually on. You can call it (my provider tells me if the phone I am calling is off). The phone is actually on. It just won't wake up.
ral is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #100 (permalink)
ral
Senior Member
 
ral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,546
 
Device(s): BlackBerry Z10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 692
Thanked 955 Times in 569 Posts
Default

28 hours with the new Galaxy Ace... WiFi on default (sleep when screen off)... kept WiFi on the whole day even when there is no WiFi service available. No SOD's so far.
ral is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Ace
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Galaxy Ace is an Internation/European Android phone with a 3.5-inch screen and 800MHz processor. Samsung describes it as minimal yet sophisticated and we'd have to agree. While the specs aren't top notch, the Galaxy Ace still co... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Ace
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.