Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Ace

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #51 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I don't think this is unique to android of samsung. I have had several Nokia with this problem and eventually I sussed it out. It is to do with duplicates. If there are two contacts with the same number it gets confused - and uses default or last used. you may noe know about a second one, but for example if you have an ICE number (in case of emergency) as you home number, then when you home rings does it go with the "home" contact of the "ICE" contact?

I guess the fact that this comes back for some people is that the phone is constanly synchin contacts - almost guaranteed to create duplicates at some point.

Advertisements
briandavison is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to briandavison For This Useful Post:
Ruth5662 (April 27th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old March 21st, 2012, 02:03 PM   #52 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Another Possible Solution

We had the same issue of playing the default ring tone when a custom was selected. Somehow contact information was mingled and we found that other contacts had the same phone numbers. For example when I called from my cell to my wife's it showed a completely different friend was calling but, showed the number as mine. We had to go in and clean this up so, only one number for one contact.

I have no idea how this happened nor if this is your issue but it is simple to identify all you need to do is call from the number you have a special ring tone set up for and see if shows from a different contact when ringing.

Good luck!
fskrc1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fskrc1 For This Useful Post:
Ruth5662 (April 27th, 2012)
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
socrates0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 397
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Grand i9082 ver 4.2.2 & Nexus 7 (WiFi Only 32GB) ver 4.3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 62
Thanked 80 Times in 72 Posts
Default

@Ruth5662 Just came across this one today. Have you tried it? Hope it helps
__________________
BE WHAT YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL BCOZ
THOSE WHO MIND, DON'T MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER, DON'T MIND !! And remember to click on the 'Thanks' if you feel an answer helped you solve your problem so that others can be guided to the right post to solve theirs too.
socrates0 is offline  
Last edited by socrates0; April 9th, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to socrates0 For This Useful Post:
Ruth5662 (April 27th, 2012)
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #54 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Thanks for all your continued help everyone. I've cleaned up duplicate numbers - no joy. Tried ringo - didn't solve the problem either.

I think I've just about tried everything possible. Still no solution from Samsung or Android.

Now I think it's time for the only thing I know will solve this problem.....a different phone!
Ruth5662 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #55 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Solution worked for me so far (keep fingers crossed)

This worked for me; at least it has so far. Thanks for the tip! If it goes south on me, I'll post further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETSGS2 View Post
Okay, so here it is...
Same exact thing has happened to my wife's phone, but not mine. We even went to the store and tried a brand new phone and same thing! But...We just figured it out! Okay, so here we go...

Edit: If you are not a user of Google contacts, then do not do the merge described below because this will overwrite your phone contacts with your google contacts. Only do this step if all your Google contacts are up to date and include all contacts in your phone.

From within your computer, go to your Google contacts, the is a "My Contacts" label. At the bottom, there is an "Other" label. Somewhere in there are duplicates, so the phone doesn't know which to assign the cutom ringtone to. Go through and clean up all Google contacts, plus add the "My Contacts" to any contact that doesn't have it. Then delete any from the "other" list and any doubles in the contacts. Then, on your phone, open contacts and go to menu-more-settings-save new contacts to, and select Google. (Trust me on this one...PLASE DO THIS.) Then go to contacts, menu, and select Merge with Google. (You may lose contacts that you've put in your phone from your phone, but this is the only time this will happen.) From this point on, anything done in the Google contacts will instantly update in your phone and vise-versa, but more importantly, your ringtones should work when assigned to individual contacts.

If that doesn't work, let me know, there is one other thing to try. Good Luck!

Joe
Samsung Galaxy S2
Stega is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:19 PM   #56 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Stega - is the above solution still working for you?

Thanks.
Ruth5662 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #57 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Hi Ruth.

I think i know what is happening, although i dont have the solution.

Pay attention:

I had the same problem in my Samsung Galaxy 5 (happened almost in 30-40% of the cases)
I have the same problem in My Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 (very seldom though, only in about 1-2%).
The Galaxy Ace 2 has better processor, an much much larger RAM!

Look what was the case.

I once noticed than when my wife called (which has a spesific ring tone, different than the default), the phone first displayed the phone number of my wife (and not the name) and after a few moments, the name (because my wife is off course in the contacts).

Now i think you realize what is happening:

the phone tries to retrieve from the list if the number is known.
But for some reason it has a delay.
And if the delay is too much, the phone says "WTF, i' m gonna ring anyway, so let's play the default ringtone". because the urgent thing is to ring.

I think that is the reason.

Having the Samsung Galaxy 5, with a very bad RAM, it is no surprise it is happening, It is too slow to retrieve in no time the contact. Try sometimes your self to display your contacts. You will notice a delay.
So i tried a solution: i tried to keep my contacts on my RAM:
I display my contacts and then i press Home (and not Back!). So the contacts are "running" on background. The next time you display the contacts it is happening in zero time! And the bug happens very rare!
I also tried to make my contacts more "light" in data (smaller photos or even smaller ringtones, i mean less data)

Now with my new phone things seem to be much much beter because of the much better hardware. But sometimes ecen mya ace 2 seems to delay to display the contacts.Sometimes, very rare though, i have the problem again.

The absolute solution, is to make a pathch that delays the call, in order to give the time to the phone to retrieve the contact.

I hope i 'm helping with this
Nikos1972 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nikos1972 For This Useful Post:
Ruth5662 (September 27th, 2012)
Old September 27th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #58 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Thank you for your reply!

I think you're definitely on to something here. Let's face it - there seems to be no other possible explanation or solution, and this fits in with my experience: I have also noticed sometimes only the number displays before the name/picture on some calls (followed by the wrong ringtone!).

I will try your suggestion of making my contacts lighter - although we shouldn't have to do this, the phone should be able to cope! Also, I'll try shortening some of my ringtones. I'll try to keep contacts running also, which may be an important step towards a temporary solution.

I have no idea how to make a patch that delays the call, and as you say, if this IS the problem, then that may be the only permanent solution.

So, if I understand you correctly, the phone needs to hold the call momentarily, until it has collected all the data of the caller i.e. ringtone, picture, number, name etc?

I really think this could well be the reason for this fault. Now - how to fix it....?
Ruth5662 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #59 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Thank you for your reply.
I 'm wodering what model you have (RAM, Processor etc).
With my new phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, 768MB RAM and dual core processor), that i have for 2 months, it only occured 4 or 5 times.
So practically, I do not need a solution. It is a rare phenomenon.
Try to keep contacts on background running, by pressing contacts and then the Home key (not the Back key). And if you open a new app (e,g. weather), at the end do it again: Contacts and Home key.
I 'm curious if it works Ruth.
Nikos1972 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #60 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Contact ringtone problem

I have the same problem - Custom contacts don't allways play.
So does my wife any ANYONE who has an Android phone.
This problem appears even in Android 4 versions.

now being a programmer myself, although not and Android dev, I believe this is a bug in the basic Android source code, and therefore CANNOT be fixed by any app or external "trick". It can ONLY be resolved if the bug is located in the original code and the code being modified to fix this issue.

I believe the problem has nothing to do Google contacts, sound format bla bla bla...

According to my gut feeling and programming experience, the problem lays in the simple annoying fact that sometimes the Android system cannot find the file to be played or cannot "decide" which to play.

You see, in Androids root directory there's a folder named
"System/media/audio/ringtones"
Also, on your USB storage there's another folder called
"sdcard/media/audio/ringtones"

Notice the identical part: "/media/audio/ringtones".
If the "sdcard" prefix is used, it will relate to your custom tones.
If the "System" prefix is used, it will relate to the built in tones.

Now, imagine a case where a call comes in and the tone you've assigned to it is... dunno... say "Pokerface_GaGa.ogg", BUT because of the bug the phone looks for this file in the OTHER path!! it looks for "System/media/audio/ringtones/Pokerface_GaGa.ogg" and since that file DOES NOT EXIST it reverts to the default ringtone.

To summarize this issue, the Android OS has a messup when dealing with the contact custom ringtone path. It sometimes uses a wrong file path and therefore cannot find the specific file so it plays the default ringtone. This is because initially the code does not utilize the correct FULL PATH all the way through. This is bad programming practice.

Sure the Android dev guys ( those who actually work at Google developing the next version ) CAN fix it. It requires to review the source code in a debugging environment and locating where the potential to messup can occur - and fix it. but for some reason this is neglected.

This is all only my theory...

Since my phone is rooted What I am going to try is:

1. Converting all my custom tones to ogg format
2. Transfering them to the folder where the Systems ones are

Again, you can only write to this folder if your device is rooted.
If this solution does not help - Then I will eat my hat and admit I was wrong :-)

But it's worth a shot!!
zvigrunb is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 11th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #61 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,275
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 244 Times in 226 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvigrunb View Post
I have the same problem - Custom contacts don't allways play.
So does my wife any ANYONE who has an Android phone.
This problem appears even in Android 4 versions.

now being a programmer myself, although not and Android dev, I believe this is a bug in the basic Android source code, and therefore CANNOT be fixed by any app or external "trick". It can ONLY be resolved if the bug is located in the original code and the code being modified to fix this issue.

I believe the problem has nothing to do Google contacts, sound format bla bla bla...

According to my gut feeling and programming experience, the problem lays in the simple annoying fact that sometimes the Android system cannot find the file to be played or cannot "decide" which to play.

You see, in Androids root directory there's a folder named
"System/media/audio/ringtones"
Also, on your USB storage there's another folder called
"sdcard/media/audio/ringtones"

Notice the identical part: "/media/audio/ringtones".
If the "sdcard" prefix is used, it will relate to your custom tones.
If the "System" prefix is used, it will relate to the built in tones.

Now, imagine a case where a call comes in and the tone you've assigned to it is... dunno... say "Pokerface_GaGa.ogg", BUT because of the bug the phone looks for this file in the OTHER path!! it looks for "System/media/audio/ringtones/Pokerface_GaGa.ogg" and since that file DOES NOT EXIST it reverts to the default ringtone.

To summarize this issue, the Android OS has a messup when dealing with the contact custom ringtone path. It sometimes uses a wrong file path and therefore cannot find the specific file so it plays the default ringtone. This is because initially the code does not utilize the correct FULL PATH all the way through. This is bad programming practice.

Sure the Android dev guys ( those who actually work at Google developing the next version ) CAN fix it. It requires to review the source code in a debugging environment and locating where the potential to messup can occur - and fix it. but for some reason this is neglected.

This is all only my theory...

Since my phone is rooted What I am going to try is:

1. Converting all my custom tones to ogg format
2. Transfering them to the folder where the Systems ones are

Again, you can only write to this folder if your device is rooted.
If this solution does not help - Then I will eat my hat and admit I was wrong :-)

But it's worth a shot!!
Don't eat your hat, putting .ogg files in /system definitely works
I'v been doing that for the last 2 years!
__________________
Device: Samsung GT-S5830 Galaxy Ace
ROM: AOKP 4.2.2
Scripts: CronMod INT2EXT4+
Kernel: 2.6.37.6-jellybean+marco@pc5 #14
CPU Frequency: 245MHz - 800MHz, SmartassH3
ayush29k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #62 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth5662 View Post

Shame on Android and Samsung for not being able to fix it (or not being interested enough to try).
=> This!

byebye Android hello iOS
awyeahh1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #63 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush29k View Post
Don't eat your hat, putting .ogg files in /system definitely works
I'v been doing that for the last 2 years!
Well, I myself have tried what I recommended and was totaly amazed that... It didn't help!!

Wow... I put all my ogg ringtones in the system folder, alongside with the built in ones, DELETED all tones from the external folder (No chance phone "Can't find" anymore) and today, my wife called in and the stupid device played the default tone... Ha Ha..

what can I say other than I like to keep my promises,
so I'm off to buy a hat :-)

I do have a theory though why them Google Guys don't care and just ain't fixin' it... That's because they're using Iphones...
zvigrunb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #64 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush29k View Post
Don't eat your hat, putting .ogg files in /system definitely works
I'v been doing that for the last 2 years!
and for all you SL Jackson fans out there, here's a quote...
"I've had it, with these M.F. ringtones on this M.F. Android device!!!"
zvigrunb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #65 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,275
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 244 Times in 226 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvigrunb View Post
Well, I myself have tried what I recommended and was totaly amazed that... It didn't help!!

Wow... I put all my ogg ringtones in the system folder, alongside with the built in ones, DELETED all tones from the external folder (No chance phone "Can't find" anymore) and today, my wife called in and the stupid device played the default tone... Ha Ha..

what can I say other than I like to keep my promises,
so I'm off to buy a hat :-)

I do have a theory though why them Google Guys don't care and just ain't fixin' it... That's because they're using Iphones...
Did you set the permissions correctly?

I don't know why people are having this problem, i never had trouble setting a ringtone. When i was on stock, i put it in the sd card and it used to work, later when i rooted i started adding them in the rom itself, keeps the sd card clean.
For rooted users:
Convert your mp3 files into ogg.
Use a root explorer app, navigate to the directory /system/media/audio/ringtones, place the ringtone here.
Set the permissions as
rw-
r--
r--
and reboot. You should now have the option to set that new tone in the settings menu.
You can also add alarms, notifications or UI(replace the tone only, cannot add 2 tones for the same function, requires renaming the tone to the appropriate function) tones like this.
ayush29k is offline  
Last edited by ayush29k; July 14th, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 03:58 AM   #66 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: sarf west London
Posts: 19
 
Device(s): Asus TF300F Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S 5830i Samsung Galaxy S4 MINI GT-i9195
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

May I just use this thread to ask about ringtones for incoming text messages [not phone calls]. On a previous phone I was able to *set particular ringtones to certain individuals for text*. While I can set ringtones for incoming phone calls I cannot set different ringtones to different texters.
Any ideas please.
thanks,
light touch is offline  
Last edited by light touch; July 21st, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #67 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Samsung Ace Duos Ring tone problem

My phone is Samsung Ace Duos , model no GT-S6802.

I am facing a critical problem. My phone automatically came to vibrate mode after receiving incoming call.
I increase the ring tone by pressing left side up button, then the ring tone increased. After that when coming any incoming call then it rangs with increased ring volume and after receiving the call or dropping the call again it comes to vibrate mode as i set my vibrate mode "always".
Previously it was ok, but why i dont know for last 7 days I am facing this problem.

Please help. I did googling a lot but found no clue.
samiul1978 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #68 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If anyone cares I haven't had the problem described in the OP since I changed the format of all my contact numbers to +1##########, they work every time now ringing the ringtone I assigned to that contact. Hope that helps someone. Any other format I tried (###) ###-#### and ########## gave me the problems as mentioned in the OP.
RobertLeeGV is offline  
Last edited by RobertLeeGV; January 10th, 2014 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014, 04:31 PM   #69 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Contact assigned ringtones fix

I've had issues for months with this. I've been running various nightly builds of CM 11 so I just chalked it up to that. Phone is ATT SGS3

I did a full erase and flash to latest CM yesterday to clean things up and get the latest CM Kit Kat rom. This effort did not resolve the issues with contact assigned ringtones.

I finally think I have fixed it by removing the phone group from the profiles. The profile manager was overriding the assigned ringtone. When I turned profiles off the correct ringtone would play. Removing the phone group from the profile manager had the same result and that has been my solution so far. Profiles are under settings/personal on CM 11.
pmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Ace
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Galaxy Ace is an Internation/European Android phone with a 3.5-inch screen and 800MHz processor. Samsung describes it as minimal yet sophisticated and we'd have to agree. While the specs aren't top notch, the Galaxy Ace still co... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Ace
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.