Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Ace

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ayush29k
  • 1 Post By ayush29k
  • 1 Post By Emiliano55

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Angry Weird issue with WiFi (disconnects suddenly)

Hey guys,

I bought an Ace about 2 months ago and about 4 weeks ago I started to suffer a weird issue on the WIFI randomly, it use to happen once every 2 days or so.

The issue basically is that I lose wifi connection, its like it suddenly disconnects from my home router and doesn't reconnect automatically.
I mean, ie, I leave my phone on a table or something like that, then I grab it, and after I press the home button for using it I notice that the Wifi icon on the status bar is not there anymore, while the Wifi option is set to ON.

To revert this, I have to go to settings -> wireless and networks -> wifi settings and just after that I see it start scanning for networks again and it connects to my home wifi again succesfully.

It is really weird, since my router is really close to where I leave the phone and I have never really faced any wifi issues on my linksys router with other devices such as my laptop and my previous blackberry or my girl's BB.

The really annoying part on this is that the majority of the times that it happens, it does it while I'm sleeping!
So when I wake up I found the wifi icon is not there and that my battery was drained like 40/50% (i think because of trying to connect/founding other wifis/whatever it started doing). So I have to go to wifi settings again to the phone to reconnect, or better yet, turn wifi off and turn it on.

And today I experienced it again, but in front of my eyes. I was laying on my bed writing a text message and noticed how the wifi icon suddenly disappeared... and again, had to go to wifi settings so the phone would scan again and connect.

Does anyone know what it could be ? I have the wifi sleep policy turned off since I experienced a random power off 5 days after I bought the device and I read it was recommended to have it set on "never". Besides I don't think this could be related to this since today I experienced the issue for the first time while I was indeed using it.

I have the stock rom, GB 2.3.4. I tried udpating the firmware but KIES says I already have the latest one (G5830LUBKPA).

Any comments would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Emiliano55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

The ace's wifi is a real buggy thing, specially for non rooted phones, random disconnects, connected but no internet, not connecting to a particular router etc etc.
There are huge loads of problems with this wifi.
Go through this thread i am giving below, we discussed some solutions some time back, some methods worked for some people, some unfortunate ones did not get any working solution at all, look into it and see what works for you.

Galaxy Ace wifi problem

Good luck
__________________
Device: Samsung GT-S5830 Galaxy Ace
ROM: AOKP 4.2.2
Scripts: CronMod INT2EXT4+
Kernel: 2.6.37.6-jellybean+marco@pc5 #14
CPU Frequency: 245MHz - 800MHz, SmartassH3
ayush29k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Thanks man. I read that topic but those guys were experiencing another issue in which they couldn't turn Wifi on. I have never faced that issue yet. I'm on a different page with this one

Btw, I have my phone rooted.


edit: Do you think I should type *#*#526#*#* to re-install wifi drivers ? I don't want to mess the wifi completely :/
Emiliano55 is offline  
Last edited by Emiliano55; August 6th, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

You can try 526 without any worry, it will only reboot your existing wifi drivers.
Or just reboot and see if that helps

You should switch to a custom rom if you are a heavy wifi users, no custom rom user has ever complained of wifi trouble, whereas this forum is full of non rooted users complaining of bad wifi.
ayush29k is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayush29k For This Useful Post:
Emiliano55 (August 6th, 2012)
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Ok. Thanks man, I just did the 526 thing. Let's see what happens from now on.

Btw, if I ever want to switch to CM7.2 (I'm too lazy for that), is this guide the exact good way to do it ?
Upgrade the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830 to Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread via CyanogenMod 7
Emiliano55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano55 View Post
Ok. Thanks man, I just did the 526 thing. Let's see what happens from now on.

Btw, if I ever want to switch to CM7.2 (I'm too lazy for that), is this guide the exact good way to do it ?
Upgrade the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830 to Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread via CyanogenMod 7
The guide is good, just add one more step between step 10 & 11
Go to Mounts and Storage, format data, cache and system.

Steps 7 to 14 (including my addition) are standard for installing any rom in ace.
Just the gapps package is only required to be flashed with basic CM roms because they don't have any google apps in it, rest all custom roms(modified CM roms also) comes with google apps pre-installed, so flashing that is not required.
ayush29k is offline  
Last edited by ayush29k; August 7th, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Thanks man, so no need to install the Gapps when flashing CM7.2 ?

Btw, last night I had the same issue with the Wifi. I woke up and the wifi icon wasn't there and my battery was drained again.

I'm getting really annoyed by this thing
Emiliano55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano55 View Post
Thanks man, so no need to install the Gapps when flashing CM7.2 ?

Btw, last night I had the same issue with the Wifi. I woke up and the wifi icon wasn't there and my battery was drained again.

I'm getting really annoyed by this thing
the CM that you download from cyanogenmod's website does not have google apps, so you will need to flash them separately, but if you get a custom rom based on CM made by some developer then most probably the gapps would have already been added by him, if not he would tell you to flash them separately.

Why do you even leave the wifi on during night, wifi is such a battery eater, i never leave it on until unless i absolutely need it.
ayush29k is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayush29k For This Useful Post:
Emiliano55 (August 7th, 2012)
Old August 7th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I leave it because I always left it on my BB. Its kind of annoying to be disabling the wifi everytime, when i leave home, when i go to sleep, etc. I just leave it while I'm at home, even if I sleep. If this continues I will have to turn it off while sleeping too


So I need the Gapps then! Do you know if the link on that article is the latest Gapps out there ?

Thanks!
Emiliano55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano55 View Post
So I need the Gapps then! Do you know if the link on that article is the latest Gapps out there ?

Thanks!
Don't know, but it doesn't matter, you can update them from play store anytime you want.
ayush29k is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayush29k For This Useful Post:
Emiliano55 (August 8th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Thanks man, really appreciate your help.

I'm starting to see with good eyes the installation of CM7.2 on my Ace since I'm kind of annoyed of all the bugs my phone currently has.

May I ask you the last 2 questions ?

1) After I do the procedure and start the new OS, do I have to reboot it again and root it and then flash again the CWM5 ? Or all of these persists after flashing the rom ?

2) I need to configure manually the APN settings of my vendor in order to have packet data, right ?
Emiliano55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano55 View Post
Thanks man, really appreciate your help.

I'm starting to see with good eyes the installation of CM7.2 on my Ace since I'm kind of annoyed of all the bugs my phone currently has.

May I ask you the last 2 questions ?

1) After I do the procedure and start the new OS, do I have to reboot it again and root it and then flash again the CWM5 ? Or all of these persists after flashing the rom ?

2) I need to configure manually the APN settings of my vendor in order to have packet data, right ?

1. No, it will be rooted and with CWM5 you installed still running.
2. Depends on your carrier, if it works without it then good, else call up your carrier and ask for the APN settings.

If you are going ahead with this, make sure to have a CWM backup of your current rom in case you need to take the phone for service someday, you can use Odin to flash stock rom and restore your backup over it. You cannot restore stock rom backup on CM directly, they have different file systems.
ayush29k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Thanks again man!

I didn't understand your last statement. I already have a backup image that I did with CWM5.

In case anything fails with CM7.2, or in case I just don't like it, can I just reboot my device and restore my backup using the CWM recovery ?
Emiliano55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano55 View Post
Thanks again man!

I didn't understand your last statement. I already have a backup image that I did with CWM5.

In case anything fails with CM7.2, or in case I just don't like it, can I just reboot my device and restore my backup using the CWM recovery ?
You can't restore a stock rom's backup from a CM rom, the stock rom is in a rfs file system whereas the CM is an ext file system, the CWM can convert rfs to ext so that you can easily flash CM from stock, but it cannot convert ext to rfs, you either use some software to convert your file system to rfs and then restore that backup, or flash a stock rom using Odin and then restore your backup. Odin flashes converts the system to rfs.
I use Odin, i haven't tried manual conversion yet.
ayush29k is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayush29k For This Useful Post:
Emiliano55 (August 8th, 2012)
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Oops, what a letdown is that!

So in case I don't like Cm7 and want to go back I need to get a stock rom for the Ace. Install the Odin, connect the phone in download mode and flash that stock rom. After that, I will be able to get my backed image back using CWM, right ?

Thanks again!!!!
Emiliano55 is offline  
Last edited by Emiliano55; August 8th, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano55 View Post
Oops, what a letdown is that!

So in case I don't like Cm7 and want to go back I need to get a stock rom for the Ace. Install the Odin, connect the phone in download mode and flash that stock rom. After that, I will be able to get my backed image back using CWM, right ?

Thanks again!!!!
yup, u got it!
ayush29k is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayush29k For This Useful Post:
Emiliano55 (August 8th, 2012)
Old August 8th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Got it! But once I'm on CM7, can I make backup images with CWM and restore them whenever I want ?
Emiliano55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano55 View Post
Got it! But once I'm on CM7, can I make backup images with CWM and restore them whenever I want ?
Ya sure, CM's backup would be ext format, you can restore them from any rom.
ayush29k is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayush29k For This Useful Post:
Emiliano55 (August 9th, 2012)
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Cool. Thanks again man

I really want to flash to Cm7.2. There's a new stable nightly from august 5th that I already downloaded (CyanogenMod Downloads).
But I'm kind of scared to find more bugs that I currently have on my stock. Or maybe I don't like. Which will make me do to the Odin thing (too lazy for that) in order to have my backup image back.

Do you have CM7.2 installed on your Ace ? Do you know if it uses to perform better than stock roms ? What do you recommend me ?
Emiliano55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Odin takes a maximum of 5 minutes, 10 seconds to root it, 10 to install CWM and another 1minute to restore your backup. Maximum 7 minutes to get back, its just getting all the files that takes time.

I am using the Apocalypse rom since last 1 month, it is a custom rom based on the official CM nightly released on 8th july.
Its a brilliant rom, great performance, very smooth and a good battery life.
CM roms are popular because of their performance and customization options, stock roms are popular only for battery life. This rom's battery life is really good, specially with the new firekernel, quite close to stock.
And this rom has been tweaked for performance and smoothness.

In my opinion, CM is way better than stock. A little compromise on battery for all its extra features and no annoying bugs like on stock is a really good deal. I first flashed CM in november, i haven't gone back to stock yet, and i don't plan to either.

You can go with the new nightly also, i heard its giving really good performance, however i am not sure as the people using it haven't given much reviews yet.
You can take a look at Apocalypse if you like, here's the link.
[ROM] CM7-APOCALYPSE-FINAL [09.07.12] [FireKernel OC] - Page 157 - xda-developers
this the final version, previous ones were built on unofficial nightly, so if you want reviews on this, you might want to read the last 20-30 pages.

P.S This is for S5830 only, if you have any other model like S5830i/m/c/t/l you better tell not try any of this, specially the 'i' model.
socrates0 likes this.
ayush29k is offline  
Last edited by ayush29k; August 9th, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Thanks for all the help man!

I have a S5830L. But don't worry about it. The L and B versions are just like the 5830.

The conflictive versions are the I, C and M


I think I will go ahead and flash it. I don't know which rom to put really. If the latest offical nightly build or that apocalypse rom you mentinoed. I always heard good reviews from it, so I'm sure it is the safest bet in my situation, but I don't quite like the ICS theme it has :/

What is that Torch option that the images always show ? It is always shown at the status bar like a lamp. Can I turn that off ?
Emiliano55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Good to know you have been reading, it will always keep u safe.

what torch??

ics layouts are flashed separately in apocalypse , if u dnt like ics layouts and theme then dont flash it, they dont come preinstalled in the rom. Just flash the rom and u r done!
ayush29k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Thanks man. I have flashed to the latest offical CM7 nightly,.


Everything fine and really smooth so far!

The only pros, the internal memory is way down. I had 118MB free with the stock rom, and with this one (with all my apps restored with TB) I only have 82MB left. Is this normal ??

On a another note, the program monitor (task manager) is gone in this rom. So I cannot actually end any running process like Music.

What do you recommend me for this issue ?

Thanks again man!!
Emiliano55 is offline  
Last edited by Emiliano55; August 9th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano55 View Post
Thanks man. I have flashed to the latest offical CM7 nightly,.


Everything fine and really smooth so far!

The only pros, the internal memory is way down. I had 118MB free with the stock rom, and with this one (with all my apps restored with TB) I only have 82MB left. Is this normal ??

On a another note, the program monitor (task manager) is gone in this rom. So I cannot actually end any running process like Music.

What do you recommend me for this issue ?

Thanks again man!!
Also, I wanted to free some space up by deleting the data/log and noticed that this folder is not there (??)

And the *#9900# thingy to move dump files doesn't work either. I dial that and nothing happens

I'm on 79MB left now after upgrading 3 apps. Is this normal mate ?
Emiliano55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano55 View Post
Thanks man. I have flashed to the latest offical CM7 nightly,.


Everything fine and really smooth so far!

The only pros, the internal memory is way down. I had 118MB free with the stock rom, and with this one (with all my apps restored with TB) I only have 82MB left. Is this normal ??

On a another note, the program monitor (task manager) is gone in this rom. So I cannot actually end any running process like Music.

What do you recommend me for this issue ?

Thanks again man!!
That depends on your apps mate, move them to sd card, whichever the system lets you move, move it.

CM don't have taskmanager, its a ram heavy app serving no purpose at all. You can close apps from settings>applications>manage apps>running apps
Still if you want one, there is a ported version for CM available on xda. A lot of apps(system apps) working in your stock rom will not work in CM, they have a different framework, so this taskmanager app has been ported specially for CM users.

You can also get a task killer from the market, not the one which automatically kills apps in the background, but one through which you can close a background app upon your selection only, cause task killers are harmful for android, so they should only be used as app closing devices upon user requirement only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano55 View Post
Also, I wanted to free some space up by deleting the data/log and noticed that this folder is not there (??)

And the *#9900# thingy to move dump files doesn't work either. I dial that and nothing happens

I'm on 79MB left now after upgrading 3 apps. Is this normal mate ?
yeah, i don't have it either, guess its not there in CM.
9900 doesn't works, they might have already included these in the system to save memory consumption. Well you will loose internal memory, this phone has a very low memory.
There are a few methods to clear some space like keep your internet cache clear, move apps 2 sd, clear dalvik cache from recovery(once a few weeks only) etc. But these are also temporary solutions only.

Since you are rooted, you can look into the permanent solutions too, moving apps to sd-ext partition. It involves creating a small partition on your sd card and then using it as an extension of the internal memory, so in all you get a bigger memory, use apps or scripts to move apps there. I am using Amarullz script, i have a 600mb internal memory now. Running over a 100 apps and still have 200mb free.
socrates0 likes this.
ayush29k is offline  
Last edited by ayush29k; August 10th, 2012 at 02:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayush29k For This Useful Post:
Emiliano55 (August 10th, 2012)
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Thanks man, seriously. You are giving me free Android/CM7 lessons and I REALLY appreciate it.

About the task manager. Yeah, if it wasn't included I assume it was for something useful. I use (sometimes) the advance task killer, I do not abuse of that since I know it damage the OS, but this app doesn't actually terminate "active apps", it terminates process that the OS mantains.
So yeah, I will terminate my music and active apps from "running services" and that's it.

About the 40MB less in my internal memory compared to the stock (using the same apps and apps2sd), I read that it is normal that after you put CM7 the internal memory downs a bit, since the rom its a bit bigger than a normal stock rom.

But I discovered that CM7 lets you move almost every app to the SD (despite not being able to use widget or see its notifications), while the stock rom didn't let you that.
It seems App2SD doesn't work as good with this "extra feature" that CM has and some apps that figured as "not movable" were indeed movable, so I moved some of them to the SD and now I have 89MB free. I miss my 118MB but this feature of moving almost any app to the SD will compensate my internal space in the future

Yeah, it seems CM doesn't have a log "directory". Quiet wierd, It should. Maybe we will need to find it somewhere


So far I REALLY LIKE CM7. I'm really happy man. I was really scared prior to flashing it but so far I love it. It runs like a new phone.

Obviously it has some new tweaks that I think it might be "bugs" (yeah, I'm kind of paranoic about the bugs ) but it ends up they are just that, tweaks.

For example, it doesn't beep and notify when the battery is fully charged. I notice its fully charge because the battery indicator and the battery widget doesn't have the "bolt" anymore.
I love this, since the notification sound upon fully charged was something I really hated. But I thought it was a bug, and I read on a forum that it wasn't.

Other silly thing is that the screen doesn't turn on for a few seconds after the arrival of a new text message. Again, I like this better than the previous behavior. But I thought it was a bug

Besides that I managed to investigate and configure most "changed" things at my own. I really miss the "enter" key on the keyboard while texting for example. It appears while filling some "forms" but not while texting. I don't know why. If you know how to put it back I will be happy

Another thing I miss is the Memo.apk. But I read that it was a Samsung app and that's why this CM doesn't have it. I guess I will have to find something similar on the market.

About partitioning the SD. I'm still new on Android. I have this phone for 2 months now. I thought I would never touch it and look now. I guess I will leave that for the future
ayush29k likes this.
Emiliano55 is offline  
Last edited by Emiliano55; August 10th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano55 View Post
Thanks man, seriously. You are giving me free Android/CM7 lessons and I REALLY appreciate it.

About the task manager. Yeah, if it wasn't included I assume it was for something useful. I use (sometimes) the advance task killer, I do not abuse of that since I know it damage the OS, but this app doesn't actually terminate "active apps", it terminates process that the OS mantains.
So yeah, I will terminate my music and active apps from "running services" and that's it.

About the 40MB less in my internal memory compared to the stock (using the same apps and apps2sd), I read that it is normal that after you put CM7 the internal memory downs a bit, since the rom its a bit bigger than a normal stock rom.

But I discovered that CM7 lets you move almost every app to the SD (despite not being able to use widget or see its notifications), while the stock rom didn't let you that.
It seems App2SD doesn't work as good with this "extra feature" that CM has and some apps that figured as "not movable" were indeed movable, so I moved some of them to the SD and now I have 89MB free. I miss my 118MB but this feature of moving almost any app to the SD will compensate my internal space in the future

Yeah, it seems CM doesn't have a log "directory". Quiet wierd, It should. Maybe we will need to find it somewhere


So far I REALLY LIKE CM7. I'm really happy man. I was really scared prior to flashing it but so far I love it. It runs like a new phone.

Obviously it has some new tweaks that I think it might be "bugs" (yeah, I'm kind of paranoic about the bugs ) but it ends up they are just that, tweaks.

For example, it doesn't beep and notify when the battery is fully charged. I notice its fully charge because the battery indicator and the battery widget doesn't have the "bolt" anymore.
I love this, since the notification sound upon fully charged was something I really hated. But I thought it was a bug, and I read on a forum that it wasn't.

Other silly thing is that the screen doesn't turn on for a few seconds after the arrival of a new text message. Again, I like this better than the previous behavior. But I thought it was a bug

Besides that I managed to investigate and configure most "changed" things at my own. I really miss the "enter" key on the keyboard while texting for example. It appears while filling some "forms" but not while texting. I don't know why. If you know how to put it back I will be happy

Another thing I miss is the Memo.apk. But I read that it was a Samsung app and that's why this CM doesn't have it. I guess I will have to find something similar on the market.

About partitioning the SD. I'm still new on Android. I have this phone for 2 months now. I thought I would never touch it and look now. I guess I will leave that for the future
The size of the rom does not effect the phone's internal memory, the rom is stored on a different partition. Only the data of the system apps is stored in the internal memory.

Yeah, moving apps is a lot better in CM, but still it has its limitations, there will still be apps that it won't be able to move, but still its better than stock.
If you ever have a problem with widgets not appearing in the add widgets list, just move the app back to internal memory and it'll work.

Just look into the CyanogeMod Settings, its a whole new world of tweaks and customization.

I can help you with the enter key issue. PM me your email id, i'll send you a replacement app for your default system messaging app with enter key enabled at all times.

Taskmanager and Memo ported for CM
[Apps][Stock GB Apps for CM7] - xda-developers
ayush29k is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayush29k For This Useful Post:
Emiliano55 (August 10th, 2012)
Old August 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

PM sent!
Emiliano55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 241 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano55 View Post
PM sent!
Sent you the app via email, check it out.

Do me a small favor, install the quadrant standard app from the play store, run a full test and tell me what score you are getting from it.
ayush29k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #30 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Argentina
Posts: 36
 
Device(s): Galaxy Ace
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush29k View Post
Sent you the app via email, check it out.

Do me a small favor, install the quadrant standard app from the play store, run a full test and tell me what score you are getting from it.
Ok. Give me till Monday I will do it!
Emiliano55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply

Samsung Galaxy Ace
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Samsung Galaxy Ace is an Internation/European Android phone with a 3.5-inch screen and 800MHz processor. Samsung describes it as minimal yet sophisticated and we'd have to agree. While the specs aren't top notch, the Galaxy Ace still co... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Ace
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.