Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Europa (5)

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 30th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Europa LG Chocolate Samsung Tocco Lite Samsung Tocco Ultra Samsung Wave
Carrier: Not Provided

Question Samsung Galaxy Europa Text Problems

im having problems with my texting
it keeps repeating the text someone previously sent
im on O2 and ive emailed them many times but they havent replied
ive tried resetting the factory settings but nothing seems to work

what can i do ?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old December 31st, 2010, 04:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default same problem!!

im on the same network with the same problem so would be interested if you get a reply i have been keeping my fone on silent as the same text 20 times becomes annoying !!!
Old December 31st, 2010, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

same here i'm getting the same thing. Doing my head in
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Europa LG Chocolate Samsung Tocco Lite Samsung Tocco Ultra Samsung Wave

i went into o2 today and they send for you to send it back (i have to over the internet because i bought it from the internet) and they will replace with a new one
i think the europa needs kies but o2 didnt have before christmas which is when people starting buying them
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default temp fix for multiple emails o2

We have had the same problem, if you delete the whole thread (the text conversation - that keeps repeating) the problem seems to go away, and the texts you have missed get delivered.

Works for us - so far

Cheers
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Notsure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmblonde View Post
im on the same network with the same problem so would be interested if you get a reply i have been keeping my fone on silent as the same text 20 times becomes annoying !!!
This has actually made me want to return my Galaxy, even though I love it. I use it for my work, so fishing it out of my pocket to read a message asking me what I wanted for dinner 5 days ago (repeated every half hour or so) isn't funny any more. Deleting either the messages or the thread does NOT stop it!! Either Samsung or O2 need to get this sorted pronto! SO ANNOYING!!!
Last edited by SteveGad; January 4th, 2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old January 5th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Are there any common themes for those people who are receiving the repeated texts? Are you on pay and go or contract? Are you using the sim that came with the phone or another one? Are you connecting to the 2g or 3g network when you get the duplicates?

Just curious as to whether all europa users will potentially suffer this problem or whether its only apparent under certain conditions - my own phone has been OK...so far (since 27th December)!
Old January 5th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Angry Same Problem! Please Read

hi

I have had the same problem!
i have deleated the thread but it keeps on coming back! what should i do

please email me the answer to olivernixon@live.co.uk

please
Old January 5th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have this same problem.

I'm in o2 pay as you go.
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivernixon View Post
hi

I have had the same problem!
i have deleated the thread but it keeps on coming back! what should i do

please email me the answer to olivernixon@live.co.uk

please
im on vodafone
sponsored links
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Are you guys on a 3G network or good old 2G? Mine is still going OK (O2 pay and go, 2G) but I did get a delayed text from the other half earlier - only by an hour or so though.

Has anyone tried the 'Anti SMS Bomber' app on the android market? This claims to block duplicate texts and might make things a bit better until a proper fix comes along.
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

I spoke to a lady at O2 and she says they are well aware of this - and how annoying it is - and have engineers working on it. Looks like all we can do is wait now!!
Old January 6th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default text problems

so glad others are having the same problem and i'm not going crazy. Tried ringing vodaphone a while back and they suggested taking battery out and then selecting another network - may have worked for the first time . have to say it seems to be only on particular texts that get repeated - not all.
By the way - anyone know how i can get my phone to automatically save camera pictures to the sd card not phone - i can't even get to transfer them - or am i a bet stupid?
Old January 6th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

Same here on Tesco Payg. Problem texts seem to come from automated senders mainly Tesco themselves and employment agencies (presume they batch send) so far had no problem with indervidual texts from proper people.
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s):

I can confirm the same as "SteveGad", i spoke to O2 and they said that there engineers are dealing with the issue, but annoying they could not give a time frame.

Oh well will have to see......
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s):

Spoke to Tesco who put me through to Samsung who say it's being worked on and gave me a time frame of 1-2 weeks (holding breath). They also confirmed that it is an O2 only issue.
Old January 7th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

My guess is that they'll incorporate it the same time the official 2.2 upgrade comes out. Would make sense to patch it at the same time
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have had the same problem too, but just to update you; I went into the O2 shop today, about to return my phone, to be told that it wouldnt make any difference, exchanging it for another one would still have the same problem. Apparently Samsung are aware of the issue and are launching an update in next couple of days (maybe even tonight!) to these phones which should solve the problem. The update is automatic so I guess just sit back and wait and see. Maybe try and turn phone of and on tomorrow morning is what the guy at O2 suggested. Fingers crossed....its sooooo annoying!
Old January 8th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hi all, signed up here to let you know what fixed this problem for me.

Basically flashing a different firmware (I5500xwjg9) worked on my device.

I've documented it here: Duplicate text Samsung Galaxy i5500 / 5 / Europa - xda-developers

Would be really interested to know if this works for others also. Obviously the usual risks of flashing firmware applies.

Paul
Old January 8th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s):

I don't have this problem after I updated to froyo.
sponsored links
Old January 8th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Europa GT-I5500

Angry Multiple Text Problem

Had my Galaxy GT-I5500 since December 2010. Same problem started almost straight away. Spoke to O2 today and they first suggested removing SIM and waiting 30 minutes then switch back on. It didn't work! Rang again and they suggested taking the phone back to and O2 shop and they would replace SIM. Looking at previous posts not sure this will work. I have connected my phone using KIES in last few days and no updated firmware available.

Andrew
Old January 8th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Wildfire 2.2 Froyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysarah22 View Post
I have had the same problem too, but just to update you; I went into the O2 shop today, about to return my phone, to be told that it wouldnt make any difference, exchanging it for another one would still have the same problem. Apparently Samsung are aware of the issue and are launching an update in next couple of days (maybe even tonight!) to these phones which should solve the problem. The update is automatic so I guess just sit back and wait and see. Maybe try and turn phone of and on tomorrow morning is what the guy at O2 suggested. Fingers crossed....its sooooo annoying!
Hi all, i bought this phone for my son two days ago and started having these problems straight away, including the sd card mounting and unmounting by itself in the notification bar???. I took this phone back to the CPW this morning, who told me that they are well aware of this fault and offered to swap it for a new one, but the same faults would re-occur !!! As you can guess i didn't take them up on their offer but came away with a LG Optimus GT540 2.1. It amazes me how they know there is a major software glitch with the Samsung handset, but thet still sell it to whoever walks through the door !!
Old January 8th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s):

Walked into an O2 shop today and asked them and was told it's sorted!!! I have to take the phone in and they reset it and download an app from Market. A search hs reveild no such app that I can find. Probably bollocks.
Old January 8th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s):

I am glad I'm not alone in having issues with texts.
I am on o2 pay as you go,simplicity. I have only had my Samsung Galaxy Europa since 23rd Dec.
Resetting my phone factory settings has NOT solved problem.
I've installed & uninstalled different sms app's for Android but nothing has helped.

If I changed from o2 would that fix issues texts?
I can NOT afford a new phone,this phone was quite pricey for me.

HELP!!
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s):

Ok you 'orrible' lot, you all need to take the phone back or send it back to where ever you purchased it from. I called Samsung and was duly informed that there was indeed a problem with that model and the technicians are working on it and should have an ugrade available sometime soon. Not good enough. Myself and my partner both purchased one each 3 days before Xmas. I called O2 and they confirmed that our service was all ok. We took them back yesterday and got a couple of HTC Wildfires. Got a discount for the inconvenience and have not put the phones down yet. Same contract, same network, new phone, no text problems. Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naffring For This Useful Post:
faith.roberts (January 18th, 2011), SMcnaughty (January 11th, 2011)
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Latest Update from o2

Hi Everyone.

I have been following this link as I have the same problem as everyone else. I have just been on a chat session with an o2 advisor and this is the conversation we had (sorry it’s not better news) – (the o2 advisor is Pete)

Pete: The Samsung Galaxy Europa i5500 repeat texts issue hasn't been resolved yet.
Terry: ok - do you know what the plan is
Pete: Our engineers are looking into the matter on the highest priority and it'll be resolved shortly.
Pete: I won't be able to give you the time scale.
Pete: Once the problem is resolved, we'll sending a text to all the Samsung Galaxy Europa i5500 customers.
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'm also having this problem on O2 and feel grossly mislead by the company, my phone refuses to receive any texts from other O2 mobiles and the texts I do get it repeats up to 90 times! They changed the handset for me once assuring me that it would solve the problem, but of course it didn't and on Saturday I witnessed them selling the Galaxy Europa handset from one of their stores without warning the customer that this was a potential problem. Considering how long they have known of the problem and how widespread it seems to be, not warning new customers is morally just wrong!

I have been quite incensed and have set up a group on Facebook to warn others if any other facebook users want to join:Galaxy Europa: Don't buy from O2
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #28 (permalink)

Angry Latest Update from O2 Shop in Poole, Dorset, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprenrut View Post
Had my Galaxy GT-I5500 since December 2010. Same problem started almost straight away. Spoke to O2 today and they first suggested removing SIM and waiting 30 minutes then switch back on. It didn't work! Rang again and they suggested taking the phone back to and O2 shop and they would replace SIM. Looking at previous posts not sure this will work. I have connected my phone using KIES in last few days and no updated firmware available.

Andrew
Took mine back to O2 today. All they could do was offer to send it off for repair as I bought mine end of Nov am out of time for exchange. I was not very happy, manager assured me that sending for repair should fix problem as this was only a problem with the first batch of phones! While waiting to complete forms there was a lady in the queue same phone same problem but hers had been for repair!! It still had problem so I am not hopeful. It would also appear that O2 shop policy is to return the phone a second time before talking about refund. If that happens to me I'm not having any of that and will insist on full refund on the spot as the phone is "not fit for purpose"

Andrew
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s):

I am on my second phone. Same problem, O2 are aware but act dumb in the shop. I asked if they have had many returned and they looked at each other and said they didn't think so, (Derr!!) but they are still selling them. They have offered to change for a LG Optimus for an extra £13 but I like my Galaxy and just want the text problem fixed. Spoke to Samsung and they assured me there will be an update to the firmware to download 'In a few days' - I wont hold my breath!, I think every phone sold must have the same problem so I guess there will be a fix - eventually.
Old January 11th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s):

Notsure

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith.roberts View Post
im having problems with my texting
it keeps repeating the text someone previously sent
im on O2 and ive emailed them many times but they havent replied
ive tried resetting the factory settings but nothing seems to work

what can i do ?
I got one of these phones for christmas and am new to this type of phone. But I too have had the same problem I have been back to the shop several times and they have done various things to sort it out and eventually have given me a replacement phone. I must add though the repeat texting is still happening. I am not sure now what to do. Will this issue ever sort itself out?????? Or get another type of phone altogether!!! I am very dissapointed that this is not being resolved.
sponsored links
Old January 11th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith.roberts View Post
i went into o2 today and they send for you to send it back (i have to over the internet because i bought it from the internet) and they will replace with a new one
i think the europa needs kies but o2 didnt have before christmas which is when people starting buying them
Yeah I'm having the same problem but have no idea what to do about it. I have been back to the shop several times and have even been given a replacement. I have no idea what kies is and now I am at a loss of what to do now
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #32 (permalink)

Sad Time to Get Trading Standards Involved

I downloaded this from the Consumer Direct website:

Your rights

If you have bought a mobile phone, it must be of satisfactory quality, fit for its purpose and as described.
When a mobile phone doesn’t meet some or all of these conditions, follow the advice below:

If you have only had the phone a few weeks or haven’t had a reasonable opportunity to check it, you are probably entitled to a refund for a fault or poor description, or alternatively you may request a replacement.
If the fault is only minor and can easily be put right, it is reasonable to accept a repair. This won’t stop you claiming a replacement or refund if the repair turns out to be unsatisfactory.
If you have had the phone longer than a few weeks or have had a reasonable opportunity to check it, you are probably still entitled to a repair or replacement. A repair should be carried out within a reasonable period of time and without causing you significant inconvenience. Any repair should restore it to a satisfactory condition. If this does not happen, you are entitled to a replacement or compensation. This could be a sum of money or the cost of having somebody else repair the phone.
If the phone cannot be replaced or repaired economically, you are entitled to a refund. The trader may make a reduction from the price you paid to allow for the use you have had from the phone.
If you are out of pocket in any other way, you may be entitled to compensation over and above the price of the phone.
The trader must sort out your problem, not the manufacturer
Remember, if you are entitled to a refund, replacement, repair or compensation, it is the trader who must sort out your problem. The trader cannot tell you to go back to the manufacturer or to claim through a guarantee or warranty.
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s):

Im with VODAFONE and im having the exact same problem. i only got the phone today. also im not recieving some texts that people send me, only the ones that keep being repeated.
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_akuma View Post
I don't have this problem after I updated to froyo.
How do you update to Froyo?
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s):

Yes, I'm having the same problem and although its doing my head in I love the phone so its not going back. O2 CS were useless and just said it was probably my SIM and I should change it. CPW admitted it was a software problem and said they could fix it for free at another branch where the tech guys were but when I got there they told me there was no fix as of yet (should have phoned first, lol!). I have also installed kies and done a firmware upgrade which made no difference, neither does deleting a thread in itself although this works eventually if you delete the thread often enough. Now, I've just installed the anti-sms bomber app as suggested, so fingers crossed...
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #36 (permalink)

Device(s):

Wink Samsung Galaxy Europa

Hi i no what the prob is with Samsung Europa phone.
Its all down to O2, its a network prob the phone wont with there network,
they have just tolled me.time 18.30 Date 12/01/2011
They gave me a new £400.00 Phone & £100.00 of my next bill.
SO IF YOU ARE WITH O2 THEN CALL THEM NOW!

GOOD LUCK
Last edited by morrisderek; January 12th, 2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: more news
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #37 (permalink)

Device(s):

Probably best to ignore Derek he's been spamming my facebook group the above is just not true to shu little troll.

Here's the latest from 02, this transcript was copied down a few minutes ago:

You're through to Kate.
Kate: Hi I'm Kate. How can I help?
Paul : hi there, I'm contacting in relation to the Samsung Galaxy Europa repeating text message issue. Is this likely to ever be resolved? It does feel like I have been misled about this phone by O2 as the issue with repeating texts has been known about for a while and yet it is still sold without warning
Kate: I'll help you with this.
Paul : I was given a replacement and told it would resolve the problem however the problem is exactly the same, it does not receive texts from o2 mobiles and the ones it does keep repeating
Kate: I can see that currently we have a network problem and certain customer are facing this problem. Our engineers are working on this issue and it will be resolved within 24 hours.
Paul : Are you sure? I have been advised of this before but nothing happened
Paul : the problem has been ongoing on this phone since November 2010 (though I've only had my second handset since Saturday)
Kate: Well, I can see that currently we are facing this problem.
Paul : and it will be resolved in 24 hours?
Kate: Yes, that's right.
Paul : Okay then thanks for your help.

Facebook Group: Samsung Galaxy Europa: don't buy on O2!

Update: Can confirm 2 new pieces of Firmware available on Kies, let's hope this solves the problem.
Last edited by Paul Coxon 81; January 12th, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #38 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hey,

Is there a process to retrieve new firmware other than plugging in and clicking on the phone to update? Keeps telling me I have the latest firmware, but it was firmware I updated before xmas.

My brother works in carphone warehouse and rang me today to say they had a message down into the shop to tell customers about the new firmware.

I uninstalled kies and re installed it in the hope that might fetch new firmware but just ended up with a new version of kies and still no new firmware.

The current version i have is

PDA:JK3/PHONE:JK3/CSC:JK1
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #39 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hmm, well the anti-sms bomber app is working to an extent, it's blocking some dupes but some are still getting through. It's early days yet, though, and the problem is definitely less bad than it was. I haven't had any new firmware through on kies yet either but it seems that things might be about to happen. Here's hoping!
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #40 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Samsung Galaxy Europa

Hi one & all
i see you all have had the same prob as me, i think i must have been one of the 1st to get one of the Europa phones (18/08/2010) i'ev had 3 of them and 2 new sims, been sent back 3 times,
over the last 6 months i have made calls to the carphone warehouse, O2, Samsung HQ, O2 have now toll me that is a compatibly prob with the network and not the phone, so the phone is fine its the net work.
some of you out there think that i am having you on, but it true.
02 have given me a new Samsung Galaxy S & £100.00 of my bill.
So if you are with 02 them call them!
If you have a prob with them then Quote Mr Derek Morris From Bucks
PS some of you out there mite want to apologise
sponsored links
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #41 (permalink)

Device(s):

Need to apologies asap to Morrisderek
was trying to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #42 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hi Derek,

As I have already tried to explain in the FB Group, yours is a very specific situation (you’ve had the phone a long time – August – and you’re on a contract) it is unrealistic and unhelpful to lead all Europa owners to believe this is the level of compensation that they will receive.

Anyway hope you get on well with you Galaxy S, a nice phone indeed. Watch out for the minor RAM issue, it can rapidly get used if you don’t run the Task Killer App.

Warm Regards

Paul
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #43 (permalink)

Device(s):

I no I've had my phone a long time but I was led to believe by O2 on the 12/01/2011
18.20pm that if you have one the Samsung Galaxy phones on 02(contact or Pay and Go) that they now expert the fault is there prob and will swap the phone!
Just give it a go what do have to lose????

Good luck

Derek
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #44 (permalink)

Device(s):

Yeah they will certainly swap the phone or provide a full refund for Pay and Go customers, however for a lot of us the new firmware has resolved the issue with not getting and repeated text messages…shame it’s taken so long.

All the best

Paul
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #45 (permalink)

Device(s):

NICE 1

Derek
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #46 (permalink)

Device(s):

Can anyone confirm new firmware has been released available for download in Kies to correct the repeat text problem?

I've banished my phone to a drawer until a new update comes because it is totally unusable on the 02 network with this problem.

Hoping for some good news!
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #47 (permalink)

Device(s):

Is anything ever that easy?? I can confirm it works for me and many others however many people are still getting the problem post-firmware update :-(
Old January 13th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #48 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just plugged into Kies and no new updates

PDA:J12 / Phone:J12 / CSC:J13
This device's version cannot be updated.
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #49 (permalink)

Device(s):

Damn, and there was me thinking this would be sorted tonight. Come on Samsung, get a move on with this update!!!!!!!
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #50 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy i5500 Europa

I am afraid I have had the so-called update for the last three weeks and had the problem from day one! My phone came with the update, that being 2.1 update1 so I am now awaiting 2.2 Froyo!

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Europa (5)