July 5th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Thread Author (OP)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Carrier: Not Provided
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poor GPS on Galaxy Gio with Android 2.3.6 and can't access LBS test mode
I have a Samsung Galaxy Gio and the GPS seems to be absolutely worthless. Though there are a lot of posts on GPS problems with Samsung phones, most seem to relate to older hardware and software and I have not found any solution that works for me.
- Sometimes (rarely) I get a proper GPS fix
- Sometimes I get a fix but the location shown on Google Maps is off (GPS status claims 80m accuracy but the location shown if off by about 600m; this is not a location that I had been to previously so it wasn't a cached old position)
- In most cases, I simply never get a fix; this happens even if it sees 10 satellites (according to GPS ُ Status) for about 15 min and had a fix the day before
- In buildings, GPS never works, even if I'm on the top floor underneath a flat roof or if I hold the phone near a window
This is the state of my phone:
- Android 2.3.6 ("Gingerbread"), which I recently upgraded to and which is the latest version Samsung offers
- Bought the phone in April 2012, so it should be a fairly new model (with, I guess, previous GPS hardware problems fixed)
- I recently cleared and downloaded AGPS
- Using wireless networks is disabled, so that should not interfere
- Phone is not rooted
I cannot enter the "LBS test mode" described on many websites (after typing *#3214789650# it just erases the number). SGS Toolbox also does not let me enter the test mode, I get into the dialer screen instead. Launcher Pro also does not let me access LbsTestMode, it is not in the Activities menu
Any ideas on how to get proper GPS? Does it work properly and reliably for any of you? I would love to use the phone for navigation during the holidays, but it would need to be much better.
Thanks in advance for any ideas on how to improve GPS on my Galaxy Gio.