Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
red66charger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belleair Bluffs, FL
Posts: 767
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx (XT1080M)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 910
Thanked 649 Times in 387 Posts
Default Is the Nexus Prime wasted on Me?

I could have named this thread "Ramblings of a Noob" as I have been trying to learn about Nexus/Google devices and their benefits. Seems that the two biggest draws for Nexus devotees are the open architecture for development/modification and the lack of bloatware.

Sure I would like to not have bloatware on a device...I swear I hardly use any of the apps that came pre-installed on my Thunderbolt. I honestly have no idea what VCast is and I suspect it's just another way for Verizon to get more of my money. However, I really don't see myself getting into custom ROMs, kernals and all the other stuff you guys do with your devices that I barely comprehend.

I want a smooth, fast, feature laden device that hopefully has a battery that will last 10 hours. I can deal with the bloatware as long as it doesn't affect the device's performance. It is for these reasons I suspect The Prime might be wasted on me.

But there are two things really drawing me to Prime. I really hate not having the latest and greatest OS...be it in a computer or a phone. The fact that TB (unrooted) is still running Froyo drives me crazy. The fact that Prime is said to be arriving with Ice Cream Sandwich and, being a Nexus device, will be supported with updates in a timely manner is very appealing to me.

Perhaps I can figure out what will be best for me if I knew in layman's terms what ICS will be bringing that GB does not. Admittedly I am leaning towards Bionic (please be gentle) because it is releasing sooner than Prime. I'm assuming Motorola won't abandon the device the way HTC/VZW has the Thunderbolt, and will release an OTA update of ICS in a timely fasion. And, as much as I love a nice display in my home, I don't think it is as big a factor for me on a hand-held device.

So...operationally speaking, with no preference in form factor or screen output, is The Prime wasted on me? I'm not a super-user, just a guy that appreciates a snappy, consistent and reliable device that will receive timely updates and will have decent battery life. Any constructive dialogue is greatly appreciated. Mods...if this is not the proper forum for this topic please feel free to move.

Thanks!

Advertisements
red66charger is offline  
Last edited by red66charger; August 28th, 2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!
 
The_Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Manchester, TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,267
 
Device(s): Note 3 (rooted & ROMmed), Galaxy Nexus (retired), OG Droid (retired)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2,599
Thanked 7,091 Times in 3,371 Posts
Default

Keep in mind that Bionic is slated to have at least 512MB of RAM... maybe even 1GB. Bloatware will not be much of a factor for you if you have that much memory to play with.

Froyo isn't necessarily a bad thing, either. My OG Droid had problems with GB and, other than a groovy standby animation, I noticed nothing new in it. Froyo suits my needs very well. ICS on the other hand, will have a whole new interface so I can see how you would be anxious to have it. Not sure how fast Bionic will get it, though.

Will Prime be "wasted" on you? My wife has an OG Droid w/unlimited data and never browses, she rarely listens to music on it... she texts and makes calls. That phone is DEFINITELY wasted on her. She needs a Jitterbug or something. Depending on what you do and don't do with your device will determine if the phone is overkill for you. Sometimes having the newest and bestest doesn't make much sense unless you're going to use its features enough to justify the expense.
__________________



If I have helped you at all, please click the "Thanks" button
Forum Rules & Guidelines
The_Chief is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Chief For This Useful Post:
red66charger (August 28th, 2011)
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
red66charger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belleair Bluffs, FL
Posts: 767
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx (XT1080M)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 910
Thanked 649 Times in 387 Posts
Default

Right on Chief. Exactly the kind of info this noob is looking for.
red66charger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 525
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Default

you might not think youll use all the features it has, but once you realize you have it, i guarantee youll use it and love it. I remember before I had my first smartphone, I HATED the thought of having email going to my phone. I thought it would be the biggest nuisance ever being bothered all day by it. Now, I think the only time i use my computer for email is if I have along email to send that Id rather a real keyboard. It certainly wont be wasted
chawski is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chawski For This Useful Post:
red66charger (September 3rd, 2011)
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
red66charger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belleair Bluffs, FL
Posts: 767
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx (XT1080M)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 910
Thanked 649 Times in 387 Posts
Default

Thanks, like Bluefire I'm getting worked up with the impending release of Bionic. Since I plan on running stock (really don't see myself modifying a device) I thought Prime might not be my best choice. But I like the idea if no bloat and ICS.

I plan on waiting for Prime.
red66charger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cereal killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,410
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 661
Thanked 1,786 Times in 983 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red66charger View Post
Thanks, like Bluefire I'm getting worked up with the impending release of Bionic. Since I plan on running stock (really don't see myself modifying a device) I thought Prime might not be my best choice. But I like the idea if no bloat and ICS.

I plan on waiting for Prime.
Ahh you don't see yourself modding the device now but trust me when you see all the cool ROMS come out for it, you will eventually cave in it will be impossible to resist LOL

That will be the beauty of owning the Prime. You can flash away or just run a custom lean and mean stock ROM. The possibilities are truly endless.

Thats why my Droid lasted so long...I got tired of the ROM, flashed something new, BAM, "new" phone.

You will love the Prime. I promise you
cereal killer is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cereal killer For This Useful Post:
red66charger (September 4th, 2011)
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red66charger View Post
Thanks, like Bluefire I'm getting worked up with the impending release of Bionic. Since I plan on running stock (really don't see myself modifying a device) I thought Prime might not be my best choice. But I like the idea if no bloat and ICS.

I plan on waiting for Prime.
I say you should go look at the Bionic when it comes out and if you like it then you should buy it. I can guarantee that it will get ICS, and it will likely be sooner rather than later. Bionic already has root, so if there is bloatware you don't like, you can root it and get rid of it. There have been some videos of the Bionic in action, and the bloatware doesn't seem to affect it at all.
Nobody knows when the Prime will actually show up, and rumors are getting stronger that it wont actually be a nexus device, meaning that it will probably have bloatware anyway. If you like the Bionic, there is no reason to wait for the Prime.
tofizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!
 
The_Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Manchester, TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,267
 
Device(s): Note 3 (rooted & ROMmed), Galaxy Nexus (retired), OG Droid (retired)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2,599
Thanked 7,091 Times in 3,371 Posts
Default

Let's see:

4.3" qHD screen on Bionic, vs. 4.5"+ SuperAMOLED HD on Prime. If screen real estate and quality mean little to you, go Bionic.

Locked bootloader on Bionic, vs. unlocked bootloader on Prime. Yes, Bionic has been rooted, but how easily? Will you have to re-root every boot-up? Is it a good exploit that won't be closed off with the next update? If you're not interested in rooting or modding, go Bionic.

I'm not denying that the Bionic will be a great phone, and a quantum move up from the OG Droid. But there's also no denying that Prime will be a move up from Bionic. I'll choose to wait
The_Chief is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
HanSolo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

I don't know why people think the Bionic will even be sniffing ICS any time soon. Some devs might be able to make some roms with ICS elements in it, but you won't see a pure, bug-free ICS on the Bionic for probably 7 - 9 months post release.

And when it finally does, you will be the proud owner of up-to-date software running on an out-of-date screen and processor, not to mention 4 useless capacitive buttons taking up prime space.
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
cereal killer (September 4th, 2011)
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chief View Post
Let's see:

4.3" qHD screen on Bionic, vs. 4.5"+ SuperAMOLED HD on Prime. If screen real estate and quality mean little to you, go Bionic.

Locked bootloader on Bionic, vs. unlocked bootloader on Prime. Yes, Bionic has been rooted, but how easily? Will you have to re-root every boot-up? Is it a good exploit that won't be closed off with the next update? If you're not interested in rooting or modding, go Bionic.

I'm not denying that the Bionic will be a great phone, and a quantum move up from the OG Droid. But there's also no denying that Prime will be a move up from Bionic. I'll choose to wait
Screen quality is debatable. Everyone needs to look at it and decide for themselves.
Again, the Prime might end up not being a Nexus device, so it might not have an unlocked bootloader. The exploit that allows root on the Bionic came from the D3 and hasn't been closed yet, so we can speculate that it might not get closed.
I'm sure the Prime will be a great phone, but if you like the Bionic, there's no reason to wait on a bunch of "maybes" which is the prime. If you don't like the Bionic, then by all means, you should wait for another phone.
tofizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Accept no imitations!
 
The_Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Manchester, TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,267
 
Device(s): Note 3 (rooted & ROMmed), Galaxy Nexus (retired), OG Droid (retired)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2,599
Thanked 7,091 Times in 3,371 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofizzle View Post
Again, the Prime might end up not being a Nexus device, so it might not have an unlocked bootloader.
When has Samsung ever encrypted their bootloader? Heck, they even sent CyanogenMod several SGS2s to develop on!

Screen quality and bootloaders aside, you have a valid point: if your current phone can't make it until Prime & ICS drop, OR you simply don't want to wait, get Bionic. If it can, I respectfully recommend waiting. I'd love to think that my capacitive buttons will soon be extinct with Ice Cream Sandwich
The_Chief is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefire1914 View Post
I don't know why people think the Bionic will even be sniffing ICS any time soon. Some devs might be able to make some roms with ICS elements in it, but you won't see a pure, bug-free ICS on the Bionic for probably 7 - 9 months post release.

And when it finally does, you will be the proud owner of up-to-date software running on an out-of-date screen and processor, not to mention 4 useless capacitive buttons taking up prime space.
Motorola has never taken 9 months to upgrade one of their major phones ever, so that's a pretty asinine assumption.
And the processor will still be ahead of any software that its running it, so that's pretty asinine too.
If you don't want the Bionic, fine, but please don't give out misinformation to people who are trying to make an informed decision
tofizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 1,280
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 86
Thanked 143 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofizzle View Post
Motorola has never taken 9 months to upgrade one of their major phones ever, so that's a pretty asinine assumption.
And the processor will still be ahead of any software that its running it, so that's pretty asinine too.
If you don't want the Bionic, fine, but please don't give out misinformation to people who are trying to make an informed decision
Well, if you think about how long it took for Droid X, Droid 2 get gingerbread update, I think 7~9 months is about right for major OS update like ICS. Also HD resolution is the best fit to ICS because it's also developed for tablet. Bionic is surely one of the best phone for gingerbread but I wouldn't hold breath on ICS upgrade anytime soon.
jinwons is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jinwons For This Useful Post:
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
HanSolo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinwons View Post
Well, if you think about how long it took for Droid X, Droid 2 get gingerbread update, I think 7~9 months is about right for major OS update like ICS......
This was exactly my point. And I should have been a bit clearer; I meant 7 to 9 months after the Bionic's release, not necessarily ICS's release.

But Motorola (at least on Verizon) has never been very fast on updates.

As far as processor speed, it will be out-of-date in the sense that there will be faster processors very soon after Bionic's release (there already are, actually). . . .and as long as the bootloader is locked and encrypted, no one will be able to make custom kernels for it, which means no overclocking.

I don't think my comments are asinine at all; the Bionic is a beast, for sure, but the Prime (if rumored specs are correct) will blow it out of the water.
 
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefire1914 View Post
This was exactly my point. And I should have been a bit clearer; I meant 7 to 9 months after the Bionic's release, not necessarily ICS's release.

But Motorola (at least on Verizon) has never been very fast on updates.

As far as processor speed, it will be out-of-date in the sense that there will be faster processors very soon after Bionic's release (there already are, actually). . . .and as long as the bootloader is locked and encrypted, no one will be able to make custom kernels for it, which means no overclocking.

I don't think my comments are asinine at all; the Bionic is a beast, for sure, but the Prime (if rumored specs are correct) will blow it out of the water.
Maybe no one should get the Prime, because it wont get the next(whatever is after ICS) update for about a year after the prime is released.
The OG Droid got Froyo less than 2 months after Froyo was released
Every phone released from now until the end of time will have phones with faster processors released soon after it. And processor speed isn't eveything in determining a phone's performance. No one knows how long the bootloader will be locked. Moto had said they will be releasing a way to unlock bootloaders for some phones released this year. The Bionic could very well be one of them. Phones can be overclocked with a locked bootloader, as long as they have root(which the bionic already has)
Specs aren't eveything. Just because it is better on paper doesn't mean it will blow it out of the water.
But back to the OP's question-If the Prime meets your needs, and does what you want it to, its not wasted on you. Just because you choose to do different things with your phone than other people do with theirs, it doesn't mean its a waste. If you feel it is money well spent because you are able to get what you want out of it, then its not a waste.
tofizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cereal killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,410
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 661
Thanked 1,786 Times in 983 Posts
Default

OG Droid got Froyo fairly quickly because it was a Vanilla device. The Bionic has Blur AND WebTop to contend with on ICS. That will take some time, work and testing. 6,7,8 months is not an unfair assesment of the situation.

The new era of higher clocked Dual Cores is already begininng. If one doesn't care to have the latest and greatest specs/hardware and they want a great phone I think the Bionic is perfect. But if one is looking for the newest bleeding edge specs/tech they should wait. The Bionic is going to have a VERY short time at the "top" (2 months max) before it's relegated to bench duty.
cereal killer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
OG Droid got Froyo fairly quickly because it was a Vanilla device. The Bionic has Blur AND WebTop to contend with on ICS. That will take some time, work and testing. 6,7,8 months is not an unfair assesment of the situation.

The new era of higher clocked Dual Cores is already begininng. If one doesn't care to have the latest and greatest specs/hardware and they want a great phone I think the Bionic is perfect. But if one is looking for the newest bleeding edge specs/tech they should wait. The Bionic is going to have a VERY short time at the "top" (2 months max) before it's relegated to bench duty.
Every phone from now until forever that has "bleeding edge specs" will have a very short time at the top. Should we wait forever to get a phone?
maybe the OG got Froyo quickly because it was Vanilla, maybe it got it quickly because they had a lot invested in the phone and they feel the same way about the Bionic.
And true, the era of higher clocked Dual Cores is beginning, but software hasn't caught up with them, so having the higher clock speed means very little.
Webtop is just an app, so to say it will cause any kind of delay is a faulty argument. I'm not saying that it will definitely get ICS within 2 months, but I think it will happen very quickly.
tofizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cereal killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,410
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 661
Thanked 1,786 Times in 983 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofizzle View Post
Every phone from now until forever that has "bleeding edge specs" will have a very short time at the top. Should we wait forever to get a phone?
maybe the OG got Froyo quickly because it was Vanilla, maybe it got it quickly because they had a lot invested in the phone and they feel the same way about the Bionic.
And true, the era of higher clocked Dual Cores is beginning, but software hasn't caught up with them, so having the higher clock speed means very little.
Webtop is just an app, so to say it will cause any kind of delay is a faulty argument. I'm not saying that it will definitely get ICS within 2 months, but I think it will happen very quickly.
WebTop is a Linux based OS running next to Android.

I agree though about the assesment of bigger, faster "better" coming out all the time but buying a Dual Core clocked at 1GHZ this late in the game is putting one behind the 8 ball almost immediately.

Keep in mind that for the general consumer this is all meaningless. 1GHZ, 1.2GHZ 1.5GHZ etc etc is a mute point but for the enthusiast's, which I think most of us all are here, it's something to consider.
cereal killer is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cereal killer For This Useful Post:
jinwons (September 4th, 2011)
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
WebTop is a Linux based OS running next to Android.

I agree though about the assesment of bigger, faster "better" coming out all the time but buying a Dual Core clocked at 1GHZ this late in the game is putting one behind the 8 ball almost immediately.

Keep in mind that for the general consumer this is all meaningless. 1GHZ, 1.2GHZ 1.5GHZ etc etc is a mute point but for the enthusiast's, which I think most of us all are here, it's something to consider.
Its been shown on the Atrix that webtop only runs when the phone is connected to the lapdock, thus the comment about it being an app. It doesn't run all the time, only when needed.
How is it "late in the game?" how many phones in the U.S. are running 1 Ghz dual core? Sure, better phones are coming out, but when?
Just being an "enthusiast" doesn't mean knowing everything. There are tons of people on the forums that get blown away by specs without knowing what they mean, or just follow the crowd and believe whatever they are told. Truth of the matter is, if software can't keep up with processing speed(which right now it's not optimized for dual core) 1 Ghz, 1.2, or 1.5 means very very little.
tofizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 1,280
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 86
Thanked 143 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Good point on WebTop in addition to Blur in Bionic. It will only slow down update to ICS. By the time it gets updated to ICS, its spec would well behind the time just like DX, D2 did.
jinwons is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 1,280
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 86
Thanked 143 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofizzle View Post
Truth of the matter is, if software can't keep up with processing speed(which right now it's not optimized for dual core) 1 Ghz, 1.2, or 1.5 means very very little.
That's exactly the reason why Prime would be rocking with first android OS optimized for dual core and powerful 1.5Ghz OMAP4460 processor.
jinwons is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jinwons For This Useful Post:
cereal killer (September 4th, 2011)
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinwons View Post
That's exactly the reason why Prime would be rocking with first android OS optimized for dual core and powerful 1.5Ghz OMAP4460 processor.
Gingerbread is optimized for dual core, but there are no(or maybe just very very few) apps that are. As long as apps aren't optimized, that 1.5 ghz wont mean much. But keep on pumping out misinformation to make yourself feel good about wanting the Prime so much.
tofizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinwons View Post
Good point on WebTop in addition to Blur in Bionic. It will only slow down update to ICS. By the time it gets updated to ICS, its spec would well behind the time just like DX, D2 did.
because webtop on the Dx and D2 slowed updates down???
tofizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cereal killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,410
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 661
Thanked 1,786 Times in 983 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofizzle View Post
Its been shown on the Atrix that webtop only runs when the phone is connected to the lapdock, thus the comment about it being an app. It doesn't run all the time, only when needed.
How is it "late in the game?" how many phones in the U.S. are running 1 Ghz dual core? Sure, better phones are coming out, but when?
Just being an "enthusiast" doesn't mean knowing everything. There are tons of people on the forums that get blown away by specs without knowing what they mean, or just follow the crowd and believe whatever they are told. Truth of the matter is, if software can't keep up with processing speed(which right now it's not optimized for dual core) 1 Ghz, 1.2, or 1.5 means very very little.
Applications are not optimized for Dual Core but the software is. Froyo utilizes both cores.

As far as WebTop not running when undocked I'm not entirely convinced of that yet. One guy mentioned that at XDA and posted a thread about it so it's not conclusive in my opinion.

As far as phones running 1 GHZ Dual Cores, Atrix, Photon, D3, DX2 all running at that clock speed thus my comment about it being late to the game.

Bionic should have been given at least a little bump. 1.2GHZ at the very least. Not that it would mean a great deal but when it comes to the handsets that are just around the corner the little things mean a lot.
cereal killer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 1,280
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 86
Thanked 143 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofizzle View Post
Gingerbread is optimized for dual core, but there are no(or maybe just very very few) apps that are. As long as apps aren't optimized, that 1.5 ghz wont mean much. But keep on pumping out misinformation to make yourself feel good about wanting the Prime so much.
Gingerbread supports dual core just a little better than froyo, but it's still not fully optimized for it. Only honeycomb on tablet and ice cream on phone/tablet will do so.
jinwons is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cereal killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,410
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 661
Thanked 1,786 Times in 983 Posts
Default

...just so you don't think I'm speaking out of line about the software taking advantage of both cores I should link you.

This is a meme that has been perpetuated throughout many forums and it's simply false. Android (Froyo AND GB) do utilize both cores.


http://androidevolutions.com/2011/03/14/are-current-generation-android-os-froyo-gingerbread-dual-core-capable/
cereal killer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
Applications are not optimized for Dual Core but the software is. Froyo utilizes both cores.

As far as WebTop not running when undocked I'm not entirely convinced of that yet. One guy mentioned that at XDA and posted a thread about it so it's not conclusive in my opinion.

As far as phones running 1 GHZ Dual Cores, Atrix, Photon, D3, DX2 all running at that clock speed thus my comment about it being late to the game.

Bionic should have been given at least a little bump. 1.2GHZ at the very least. Not that it would mean a great deal but when it comes to the handsets that are just around the corner the little things mean a lot.
What reason do you have to not believe that webtop doesn't run when undocked? Have you performed tests, or do you just not want to believe it?

Wow! 4 whole phones running 1 ghz dual core. How dare moto not surpass them(i'm not even gonna point out the difference between the tegra 2 vs the OMAP that the Bionic is running)

And even if they bumped it to 1.2 Ghz, it wouldn't matter! If all you care about is being able to brag to your buddies about your phone's specs, then sure it makes a difference, but in real world performance, it just doesn't make a difference.(and if it matters that much to you, the Bionic has root, so it will be able to be overclocked to 1.2 Ghz)
tofizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinwons View Post
Gingerbread supports dual core just a little better than froyo, but it's still not fully optimized for it. Only honeycomb on tablet and ice cream on phone/tablet will do so.
But it does support it, but there aren't apps that support it.
tofizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
...just so you don't think I'm speaking out of line about the software taking advantage of both cores I should link you.

This is a meme that has been perpetuated throughout many forums and it's simply false. Android (Froyo AND GB) do utilize both cores.


http://androidevolutions.com/2011/03/14/are-current-generation-android-os-froyo-gingerbread-dual-core-capable/
I realize the OS supports it, but what good is that if the Apps don't?
tofizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

You know what, the OP just wanted to know if the Prime is a waste to him. My advice, look at the phones when they come out and make your decision based on if what will best meet your needs. Whatever best meets your needs is not a waste. waiting for something just because it has great specs when something else will perfectly well meet your needs is a waste.
I apologize for turning this into a "what can the bionic do" or "what can the prime do" thread.
tofizzle is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofizzle For This Useful Post:
red66charger (September 6th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 1,280
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 86
Thanked 143 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofizzle View Post
I realize the OS supports it, but what good is that if the Apps don't?
I'm not sure what your point is. Even if apps are not written for dual core, dual core phone will perform multi-tasks faster, more efficiently. Bionic is also dual core phone running on OS that supports it partially, not fully like ICS.
By your logic, you should be still content with single core phone. I'm pretty sure that dual core apps will pop up a lot more next year given many new dual core phones.
jinwons is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cereal killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,410
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 661
Thanked 1,786 Times in 983 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofizzle View Post
What reason do you have to not believe that webtop doesn't run when undocked? Have you performed tests, or do you just not want to believe it?

Wow! 4 whole phones running 1 ghz dual core. How dare moto not surpass them(i'm not even gonna point out the difference between the tegra 2 vs the OMAP that the Bionic is running)

And even if they bumped it to 1.2 Ghz, it wouldn't matter! If all you care about is being able to brag to your buddies about your phone's specs, then sure it makes a difference, but in real world performance, it just doesn't make a difference.(and if it matters that much to you, the Bionic has root, so it will be able to be overclocked to 1.2 Ghz)
I don't beleive it because it hasn't been explained sufficiently. It's a whole other OS so I don't know how it can just shut down. A "suspended state" makes more sense but a total shutdown? I'm not saying it's not true I'm just saying I haven't seen or read anything conclusive on the subject.

As far as clock speed, you mean to tell me you don't care? If I offered to make you a phone and I said how fast do you want that processor clocked 1GHZ or 1.5GHZ? You'd say "I don't care"?

Heck no you'd want it clocked all the way up. You are just like the rest of us....a spec prostitute (would use a more colorful word for prostitute but it's not appropriate here)

Lets be honest we all LOVE specs and the more/bigger the merrier. I'm not ashamed to admit it.
cereal killer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cereal killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,410
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 661
Thanked 1,786 Times in 983 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofizzle View Post
I realize the OS supports it, but what good is that if the Apps don't?
They will......
cereal killer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #34 (permalink)
Antidisestablishmentarian
 
johnlgalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 3rd Rock
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,395
 
Device(s): Motorola® DROID® BIONIC®
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 2,168
Thanked 1,919 Times in 1,362 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to johnlgalt Send a message via MSN to johnlgalt Send a message via Yahoo to johnlgalt Send a message via Skype™ to johnlgalt johnlgalt@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
I don't beleive it because it hasn't been explained sufficiently. It's a whole other OS so I don't know how it can just shut down. A "suspended state" makes more sense but a total shutdown? I'm not saying it's not true I'm just saying I haven't seen or read anything conclusive on the subject.

As far as clock speed, you mean to tell me you don't care? If I offered to make you a phone and I said how fast do you want that processor clocked 1GHZ or 1.5GHZ? You'd say "I don't care"?

Heck no you'd want it clocked all the way up. You are just like the rest of us....a spec prostitute (would use a more colorful word for prostitute but it's not appropriate here)

Lets be honest we all LOVE specs and the more/bigger the merrier. I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Heh - screw it - I'mma spec whore. And a post whore to boot.

Seriously, I made a nice long soliloquy in the Moto DROID forum about why the specs on this phone are not simply for bragging rights - b/c your bragging rights only extend until the next badass phone comes out. (OK, that was not the reason I used, but that is another appropriate reason).
__________________

Files for the Motorola® DROID® BIONIC®:
Motorola USB drivers v5.9.0 | Motorola RSD Lite v5.7
My DropBox Referral link
johnlgalt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #35 (permalink)
HanSolo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofizzle View Post
because webtop on the Dx and D2 slowed updates down???

i don't know if webtop is the reason for the slow updates, but the fact that the D2 is just now getting Gingerbread means that Moto is one slow-arse updater.

Also, it's being said on the Bionic forums that you won't be able to tether with the Bionic because Gingerbread has locked it down. If you try to tether, you will be directed to a page that tells you to pay for tethering.

With an locked down bootloader, you will not be able to get any 2nd-init ROMS on it (which are the ONLY roms that allow for tethering on Gingerbread or later) any time soon.

With the Prime being a Samsung device and with Samsung being very good about not having locked bootloaders, that is another reason to wait for the Prime.
 
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #36 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

For the OP -

I'm similar, in that I've never rooted a phone and I probably won't anytime soon. I want a reliable, fast phone that will be dependable for around two years when I upgrade again.

I can upgrade this month, and my plan is this:

-Check out the Bionic in the store. If the screen is good enough, interface responsive, etc. then I'll continue to consider it.

-Wait at least a couple of weeks after release to read reviews, forums, etc. If the phone bombs or is really buggy, I'll wait.

-If after all this I decide the phone would be a good fit for me, then I'll see if there's anything else that will be released with ~1 month that I think is likely to be better for me. If so, I'll wait until it is released and then choose between those. If not, I'll get the Bionic.

-I won't read about new phones until my next upgrade is coming up.

I'm glad we have phone enthusiasts to educate people like me, but I just want something that works well for how I use a phone.
radiocures is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radiocures For This Useful Post:
cafeldmann (September 8th, 2011), red66charger (September 6th, 2011)
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
i don't know if webtop is the reason for the slow updates, but the fact that the D2 is just now getting Gingerbread means that Moto is one slow-arse updater.

Also, it's being said on the Bionic forums that you won't be able to tether with the Bionic because Gingerbread has locked it down. If you try to tether, you will be directed to a page that tells you to pay for tethering.

With an locked down bootloader, you will not be able to get any 2nd-init ROMS on it (which are the ONLY roms that allow for tethering on Gingerbread or later) any time soon.

With the Prime being a Samsung device and with Samsung being very good about not having locked bootloaders, that is another reason to wait for the Prime.
The Bionic has root, which means you can load a custom ROM that will let you tether. It has nothing to do with bootloaders, but people are so into listening to others who say "I hate locked bootloaders" that they don't think for themselves enough to know what can and can't be done with a phone that has a locked bootloader.
But I hate to tell you, but VZW is tracking people that tether even if they have a custom ROM loaded. You may think you're getting away with it, but you're going to be in for a surprise pretty soon when you get a bill and learn you no longer have unlimited data and have a huge overage fee. Both AT&T and VZW have announced that its coming. They're going to automatically cancel unlimited data for tetherers who dont pay for the tethering package.

edit:true currently ROMS don't allow tethering on GB, but lots of devs are close to fixing that. It will happen well before the Prime comes out
tofizzle is offline  
Last edited by tofizzle; September 5th, 2011 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BlueBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New England
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,533
 
Device(s): Note 3; formerly Rezound, Droid Charge, and OG Droid
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 1,699
Thanked 1,438 Times in 820 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red66charger View Post
But there are two things really drawing me to Prime. I really hate not having the latest and greatest OS...be it in a computer or a phone. The fact that TB (unrooted) is still running Froyo drives me crazy. The fact that Prime is said to be arriving with Ice Cream Sandwich and, being a Nexus device, will be supported with updates in a timely manner is very appealing to me.
Yeah, that's a big draw to me too. The HD screen and uber-fast CPU will be sweet, but for non-rooters the immediate factory supported ICS is significant.

Nexus Prime will probably cost the same as or just a little more than Bionic, and the monthly charges are the same. So if you like it, who cares if it has more features than you want or need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofizzle View Post
And true, the era of higher clocked Dual Cores is beginning, but software hasn't caught up with them, so having the higher clock speed means very little.
Software doesn't need any modification to take advantage of higher clocks, so yes they will benefit from a faster dual-core just as they would a faster single-core. [Standard disclaimer, clock speeds not directly comparable across dissimilar chip architectures.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
WebTop is a Linux based OS running next to Android.
No it isn't. It's just an app running on top of Android that's capable of running web apps in its embedded Firefox browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
I don't beleive it because it hasn't been explained sufficiently. It's a whole other OS so I don't know how it can just shut down. A "suspended state" makes more sense but a total shutdown? I'm not saying it's not true I'm just saying I haven't seen or read anything conclusive on the subject.
WebTop is not an OS. It doesn't need to shutdown if you haven't started it, and presumably it'll be swapped out just like any other Android app after you've used it and then exited it.
BlueBiker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cereal killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,410
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 661
Thanked 1,786 Times in 983 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBiker View Post

No it isn't. It's just an app running on top of Android that's capable of running web apps in its embedded Firefox browser.



WebTop is not an OS. It doesn't need to shutdown if you haven't started it, and presumably it'll be swapped out just like any other Android app after you've used it and then exited it.
No it's not an application. Webtop is actually running its own Linux-based operating system which interacts with Android rather than simply mirroring the Android UI on the big screen

One of many articles on the topic:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/01/hands-on-motorolas-atrix-android-phone-leads-secret-double-life-as-a-netbook.ars
cereal killer is offline  
Last edited by cereal killer; September 6th, 2011 at 10:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BlueBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New England
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,533
 
Device(s): Note 3; formerly Rezound, Droid Charge, and OG Droid
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 1,699
Thanked 1,438 Times in 820 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
No it's not an application. Webtop is actually running its own Linux-based operating system which interacts with Android rather than simply mirroring the Android UI on the big screen
Yes it is an app, implemented as an Ubuntu-based Linux running in a virtual machine on top of the existing Android Linux. So yes it's also an OS, but it's only running (and consuming RAM) while webtop is in use -- not before or after.

See these three threads, and you can download the webtop sources here.
BlueBiker is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 7th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cereal killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,410
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 661
Thanked 1,786 Times in 983 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBiker View Post
Yes it is an app, implemented as an Ubuntu-based Linux running in a virtual machine on top of the existing Android Linux. So yes it's also an OS, but it's only running (and consuming RAM) while webtop is in use -- not before or after.

See these three threads, and you can download the webtop sources here.
Read all those and more. Still not convinced it doesn't use up resources. I've yet to read anything conclusive on subject (yes I've read the other XDA thread as well)

Let's get back on topic though.
cereal killer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 01:38 AM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BlueBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New England
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,533
 
Device(s): Note 3; formerly Rezound, Droid Charge, and OG Droid
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 1,699
Thanked 1,438 Times in 820 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
Read all those and more. Still not convinced it doesn't use up resources. I've yet to read anything conclusive on subject (yes I've read the other XDA thread as well)
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
Let's get back on topic though.
I don't think the phone is wasted on anybody who'd enjoy using it, unless money is tight and a significantly cheaper phone will do everything they need. Should have a good resale value also. Of course, a lot of people are perfectly happy with a feature phone and an extra $30 in their pocket every month.
BlueBiker is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueBiker For This Useful Post:
whiskeyguy (September 7th, 2011)
Old September 7th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
red66charger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belleair Bluffs, FL
Posts: 767
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx (XT1080M)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 910
Thanked 649 Times in 387 Posts
Default

Since I originally started this thread I have learned a great deal about the Nexus flavor. It may be capable of things I might not take advantage of, but I am sold on ICS. However, a lot of the rumors floating around about VZW's possible device are a little disappointing. One things for sure...I won't be getting Vigor.

Can't wait to see some official specs for VZW Prime! Thanks to all who provided feedback!
red66charger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
darklide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 589
 
Device(s): Atrix 4g Galaxy Nexus GSM
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chief View Post
Let's see:

4.3" qHD screen on Bionic, vs. 4.5"+ SuperAMOLED HD on Prime. If screen real estate and quality mean little to you, go Bionic.
You meant Prime.
__________________
What I wish the Nexus 5 had
darklide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Galaxy Nexus
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Galaxy Nexus is the third official phone contracted by Google and the first phone to come with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Specs include a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 16/32GB of internal storage, a 4.65 inch 720p HD Super AMOLED... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.