Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
headbanger51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 186
 
Device(s): OG Droid, FROYO, Pete's BB and one of Fabolos's Themes
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Question Nexus Prime Camera...5mp or 8mp?

So depending on where you get your info, the Nexus Prime is either going to have a 5mp camera or an 8mp camera. More "sources" than not claim 5mp, but that could just be one erroneous source being echoed by everyone.
Don't know about you all, but 5mp!?!? That almost seems like too pathetic to be true...my OG Droid has a 5mp camera.
Is anyone else here scratching their head over a phone with such amazing specs as this only having a 5mp camera?

Advertisements
headbanger51 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
trophynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SouthEastern US
Posts: 5,607
 
Device(s): Iphone 5 Moto G LTE
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,843
Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

i'm not. Megapixels mean very little in a quality camera. Its all in shutter speed and light sensor.

I'm fine with a 5mp as long as it takes pics better than my DX
trophynuts is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trophynuts For This Useful Post:
headbanger51 (October 6th, 2011), novox77 (October 9th, 2011)
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 144
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 98 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger51 View Post
So depending on where you get your info, the Nexus Prime is either going to have a 5mp camera or an 8mp camera. More "sources" than not claim 5mp, but that could just be one erroneous source being echoed by everyone.
Don't know about you all, but 5mp!?!? That almost seems like too pathetic to be true...my OG Droid has a 5mp camera.
Is anyone else here scratching their head over a phone with such amazing specs as this only having a 5mp camera?
The difference between 5MP and 8MP is pretty meaningless at typical resolutions. Even at 8"x10", you're looking at upwards of 250-300 dpi.

What really matters is the quality of the lens at that point. Doesn't matter how many pixels the sensor can grab if there's not enough light to to light them.
rrhartjr is offline  
Last edited by rrhartjr; October 6th, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rrhartjr For This Useful Post:
novox77 (October 9th, 2011)
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
root@android:/ #
 
iowabowtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Iowa|USA
Posts: 10,467
 
Device(s): LG G2
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 5,384
Thanked 7,583 Times in 3,987 Posts
Default

Agreed the mp isn't a huge deal for a phone cam, however it's somewhat a big deal in terms of specification perception, hype, sales, etc. I believe it will have an 8 mp cam.
iowabowtech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
headbanger51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 186
 
Device(s): OG Droid, FROYO, Pete's BB and one of Fabolos's Themes
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophynuts View Post
i'm not. Megapixels mean very little in a quality camera. Its all in shutter speed and light sensor.

I'm fine with a 5mp as long as it takes pics better than my DX
Thanks...I guess it would be nice for my own ignorance to have an 8MP camera. I think the GSII has one, plus the Vigor has one as well as iPhone 4S, so if that's becoming the standard, I would think a phone like the Nexus Prime would be up there as well, but as long the shutter speed and light sensor are top notch...I just want a camera in my phone that takes point-and-shoot camera quality pictures. Probably my only gripe about my OG Droid is that the camera really does suck unless the lighting is perfect and the object is stationary for about 5 seconds.
headbanger51 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default

You have to watch megapixel ratings on phones, and what you're actually getting. Yeah, my OG Droid has a 5Mpixel camera, too. But it SUCKS... it's just a terrible 5Mpixel camera. I would have preferred to have the quality of my old Canon Pro90IS... only 2.6Mpixel, but a very good 2.6Mpixel.

Going forward, there's a problem with phone camera increasingly in pixel density. One is simply that, if you don't increase the sensor size (and most phones use 1/4" sensors, though they're starting to get a little larger... but we all want thin), the pixels get smaller, and so the light sensitivity gets worse, all things being equal. They're addressing this with "backlit" sensors... this means that there are electronics on one side of the chip, sensors on the other. That works once, then you're back to dropping sensitivity.

The other problem is diffraction limit. Based on the wavelength of light, you get diffraction -- undesirable bending of light due to the size of the aperture. For a 1/4" sensor and f2.8 lens, the diffraction limit is about 5Mpixel. That means, a perfect point of light in an image can only resolve to about the size of a sensor site on a 5Mpixel sensor.. going to 8Mpixel doesn't make things any sharper. So to really get a boost in sharpness, you need either a larger sensor or a smaller f-number... which it likely to mean more size. Given all they're saying about the Nexus Prime's photo quality so far, one can hope. Of course, given the rumor it's using the new OMAP 4460 processor from TI, perhaps downclocked to 1.2 or 1.3MHz (specs are 1.5MHz, various rumors mention each of these speeds), could just be folks have read the specs on that chip, which point out the camera interface is "DSLR-worthy", capable of handling high quality image processing and sensors up to 20Mpixel.

On the other hand, the 4460 is kind of a let-down for anyone looking for "the whole package"... including interesting gaming. This SOC uses the same PowerVR SGX540 GPU you can find in the Samsung Galaxy S. That's a bit faster than the iPhone 4, but short of the dual-core SGX543MP2 in the iPhone 4S and iPad. And consider, pushing 2.4x as many pixels, the screen refresh would be annoying slow compared to the Galaxy S, much less the SII. I'm hoping instead to see the Samsung Exynos 4212... that's a 32nm chip (versus 45nm for the 4460), so lower power consumption for the same performance. And a new GPU. Plus, the rumor mill was pretty sure this chip was also going to spoke of at the cancelled debut demo of next week.
hazydave is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hazydave For This Useful Post:
BlueBiker (October 9th, 2011), novox77 (October 9th, 2011)
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 144
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 98 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazydave View Post
You have to watch megapixel ratings on phones, and what you're actually getting. Yeah, my OG Droid has a 5Mpixel camera, too. But it SUCKS... it's just a terrible 5Mpixel camera. I would have preferred to have the quality of my old Canon Pro90IS... only 2.6Mpixel, but a very good 2.6Mpixel.

Going forward, there's a problem with phone camera increasingly in pixel density. One is simply that, if you don't increase the sensor size (and most phones use 1/4" sensors, though they're starting to get a little larger... but we all want thin), the pixels get smaller, and so the light sensitivity gets worse, all things being equal. They're addressing this with "backlit" sensors... this means that there are electronics on one side of the chip, sensors on the other. That works once, then you're back to dropping sensitivity.

The other problem is diffraction limit. Based on the wavelength of light, you get diffraction -- undesirable bending of light due to the size of the aperture. For a 1/4" sensor and f2.8 lens, the diffraction limit is about 5Mpixel. That means, a perfect point of light in an image can only resolve to about the size of a sensor site on a 5Mpixel sensor.. going to 8Mpixel doesn't make things any sharper. So to really get a boost in sharpness, you need either a larger sensor or a smaller f-number... which it likely to mean more size. Given all they're saying about the Nexus Prime's photo quality so far, one can hope. Of course, given the rumor it's using the new OMAP 4460 processor from TI, perhaps downclocked to 1.2 or 1.3MHz (specs are 1.5MHz, various rumors mention each of these speeds), could just be folks have read the specs on that chip, which point out the camera interface is "DSLR-worthy", capable of handling high quality image processing and sensors up to 20Mpixel.

On the other hand, the 4460 is kind of a let-down for anyone looking for "the whole package"... including interesting gaming. This SOC uses the same PowerVR SGX540 GPU you can find in the Samsung Galaxy S. That's a bit faster than the iPhone 4, but short of the dual-core SGX543MP2 in the iPhone 4S and iPad. And consider, pushing 2.4x as many pixels, the screen refresh would be annoying slow compared to the Galaxy S, much less the SII. I'm hoping instead to see the Samsung Exynos 4212... that's a 32nm chip (versus 45nm for the 4460), so lower power consumption for the same performance. And a new GPU. Plus, the rumor mill was pretty sure this chip was also going to spoke of at the cancelled debut demo of next week.

Same core yes.. but the omap4460 sgx540 is clocked at 384mhz compare to the sgs clocked at 200mhz.. so it should be significantly faster
rrhartjr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Galaxy Nexus
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Galaxy Nexus is the third official phone contracted by Google and the first phone to come with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Specs include a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 16/32GB of internal storage, a 4.65 inch 720p HD Super AMOLED... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.