Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Car USB not charging Nexus

So I have a dual USB port charger in my car and it does not charge my Nexus. I have tested and the charger does charge for my ipod touch when plugged it. Could it be the 3rd party usb wire I am using? Because I had no problems charging my OG droid before. Any input would be appreciated since I need to charge my phone while at school since I heavily use my phone during my 2-3 hour breaks.

aznkiller908 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
stenzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 301
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 16GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 77 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Sounds like something is wrong with either the charger or the cord indeed. Maybe the OG droid required less power so the charger worked ok? Get a car charger that outputs at 1 Amp, then your phone will charge at AC speeds.
stenzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This is a link of the usb charger I use in my car not sure if it prodduces 1amp.
ZAGG | Dual USB Car Charger
aznkiller908 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: B'more
Posts: 1,768
 
Device(s): S4 (VZW) , (old)Galaxy Nexus (LTE), (old)HTC Incredible, (oldest phone)Samsung SCH-i760
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 787 Times in 482 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkiller908 View Post
This is a link of the usb charger I use in my car not sure if it prodduces 1amp.
ZAGG | Dual USB Car Charger

Amazon has them much cheaper...

Note: to check if a charger is charging at 1 amp

plug in your phone and open up the battery menu under settings

at the top if it says

Charging (USB) its charging at .5 amps
Charging (A/C) its charging at 1 amp
Crashumbc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
~Play Nice~
 
Unforgiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Douglas, MA
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,691
 
Device(s): Note II, S3, Moto X Developer Edition, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13,120
Thanked 14,245 Times in 7,813 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashumbc View Post
Amazon has them much cheaper...

Note: to check if a charger is charging at 1 amp

plug in your phone and open up the battery menu under settings

at the top if it says

Charging (USB) its charging at .5 amps
Charging (A/C) its charging at 1 amp
Not totally true. I have my GNex plugged into an OG Droid charger that runs at .85 amps and it says Charging (A/C). Maybe > .5 amps it gives the AC message as USB only charges at .5.
__________________

Join the fun and make some friends, register for free here.
If someone helped, hit Thanks, if you see rude or abusive posts, spam, or threads that need staff attention, hit Report.
Site Rules / Android Forums FAQ
*** Do you want to talk guns? ***

Unforgiven is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: B'more
Posts: 1,768
 
Device(s): S4 (VZW) , (old)Galaxy Nexus (LTE), (old)HTC Incredible, (oldest phone)Samsung SCH-i760
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 787 Times in 482 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupkact View Post
Not totally true. I have my GNex plugged into an OG Droid charger that runs at .85 amps and it says Charging (A/C). Maybe > .5 amps it gives the AC message as USB only charges at .5.

True, I should of qualified my answer with the limitation of the charger. If the charger doesn't output 1 amp the phone won't charge at 1 amp...

The A/C - USB indicator is a "USB SPEC" thing. to keep devices from drawing to much power, if its plugged into a USB source the device will self limit to (.5 amp)


My understanding, is the way the device tells is it checks the middle 2 pins, if there shorted it, it knows its connected to a power source that can charge at higher then .5 amps.(and shows A/C)

If you google you can find many examples of people that have "hacked" chargers that aren't wired properly.
Crashumbc is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crashumbc For This Useful Post:
Unforgiven (February 3rd, 2012)
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
~Play Nice~
 
Unforgiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Douglas, MA
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,691
 
Device(s): Note II, S3, Moto X Developer Edition, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13,120
Thanked 14,245 Times in 7,813 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashumbc View Post
True, I should of qualified my answer with the limitation of the charger. If the charger doesn't output 1 amp the phone won't charge at 1 amp...

The A/C - USB indicator is a "USB SPEC" thing. to keep devices from drawing to much power, if its plugged into a USB source the device will self limit to (.5 amp)


My understanding, is the way the device tells is it checks the middle 2 pins, if there shorted it, it knows its connected to a power source that can charge at higher then .5 amps.(and shows A/C)

If you google you can find many examples of people that have "hacked" chargers that aren't wired properly.
Neat, learned something new today!
Unforgiven is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

use the USB cable that came with the phone. Then you can tell if it is the USB cable or the car charger.
yoyohere2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Galaxy Nexus
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Galaxy Nexus is the third official phone contracted by Google and the first phone to come with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Specs include a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 16/32GB of internal storage, a 4.65 inch 720p HD Super AMOLED... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.