Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
itiscosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W. Mass. USA
Posts: 159
 
Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 89 Times in 59 Posts
Default confused and now sad

hi been in the evo forums for a couple years i just now upgraded to sprint g nex lte and upon looking in tbese forums find a very confusing mess...been over xda but was hoping u people would sort out ur mess and make separate forums cause the phones r diff. radios for one important thing and others..dont want to flash do to mixed phones..please fix i miss the kind people here and the down to earth talk.thanks

itiscosmo is offline  
Last edited by itiscosmo; April 30th, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Demache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 2,984
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE Nexus 7 32 GB - Wifi
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 93
Thanked 330 Times in 280 Posts
Default

We used to have separate forums, but it merged a week or so ago. For non-root purposes, the phone is essentially the same (although some threads tend to be phone specific and are marked as such).

For flashing radios and ROMs (stuff that actually could screw up your phone) you want to go to the root sections for the specific phone.
Demache is offline  
Last edited by Demache; April 30th, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Demache For This Useful Post:
trophynuts (April 30th, 2012)
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dubbin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N/W Ohio
Posts: 1,514
 
Device(s): LG G2 Asus Transformer Pad TF300T Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 316
Thanked 1,478 Times in 764 Posts
Default

Yeah the forum is a mess now and I doubt they care what the users think. There have been several comments about it in the proper thread but yet no reply.
__________________
Feel free to hit the Thanks button if I helped you in any way.

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Sign up for free! http://db.tt/5aq8SJ6b
Dubbin1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,615
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,622
Thanked 14,085 Times in 6,879 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itiscosmo View Post
hi been in the evo forums for a couple years i just now upgraded to sprint g nex lte and upon looking in tbese forums find a very confusing mess...been over xda but was hoping u people would sort out ur mess and make separate forums cause the phones r diff. radios for one important thing and others..dont want to flash do to mixed phones..please fix i miss the kind people here and the down to earth talk.thanks
itiscosmo,

Yeah, we'll admit that it can be a bit confusing and we're trying the best we can to layout the various device sections that make sense and are management and navigatable.

The current layout is like this:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Android Forums

with the various device-specific root sub-forums subordinate to the main GNex forum:


It sounds like your biggest concerns might be related to rooting operations, so let me know if you'd like this thread to be moved to one of the above root areas.

Cheers!
scary alien is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
El Presidente (April 30th, 2012), WifiMaxed (April 30th, 2012)
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,615
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,622
Thanked 14,085 Times in 6,879 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
Yeah the forum is a mess now and I doubt they care what the users think. There have been several comments about it in the proper thread but yet no reply.
Oh, Dubbin1, quite the contrary.

I can assure you that the site administrators care very deeply about the concerns and thoughts of our membership.

Please have a look at this thread in the Suggestion Box & Feedback section that specifically addresses the layout of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus forums:

Galaxy Nexus Subforum

Your feedback and comments in there would be most appreciated.

Cheers!
scary alien is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dubbin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N/W Ohio
Posts: 1,514
 
Device(s): LG G2 Asus Transformer Pad TF300T Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 316
Thanked 1,478 Times in 764 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary alien View Post
Oh, Dubbin1, quite the contrary.

I can assure you that the site administrators care very deeply about the concerns and thoughts of our membership.

Please have a look at this thread in the Suggestion Box & Feedback section that specifically addresses the layout of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus forums:

Galaxy Nexus Subforum

Your feedback and comments in there would be most appreciated.

Cheers!
Yeah the thing is that I have looked at and posted in that thread with other members. That just kind of proves my point a bit more that the admins don't really care. If they did there would have been some sort of communication with us in that thread.
Dubbin1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,615
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,622
Thanked 14,085 Times in 6,879 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
Yeah the thing is that I have looked at and posted in that thread with other members. That just kind of proves my point a bit more that the admins don't really care. If they did there would have been some sort of communication with us in that thread.
Well, you've got the attention of our Site Admin (Phases) in there, so your's and other's continued feedback would still be taken under consideration.
scary alien is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
OfTheDamned (April 30th, 2012)
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,546
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,016
Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
Yeah the thing is that I have looked at and posted in that thread with other members. That just kind of proves my point a bit more that the admins don't really care. If they did there would have been some sort of communication with us in that thread.
I can see you are upset, but as the author of the thread in the suggestion box, I can say that changes were made pretty rapidly. That doesn't really jive with what you saying about unresponsive admins. Some very senior staff members have the GNex, and a lot of freshly minted Guides are very active with their GNex. If the format is a problem, you can be sure the birdies will be in the admins ear.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntimonyER For This Useful Post:
OfTheDamned (April 30th, 2012), scary alien (April 30th, 2012)
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dubbin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N/W Ohio
Posts: 1,514
 
Device(s): LG G2 Asus Transformer Pad TF300T Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 316
Thanked 1,478 Times in 764 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
I can see you are upset, but as the author of the thread in the suggestion box, I can say that changes were made pretty rapidly. That doesn't really jive with what you saying about unresponsive admins.
Umm I'm either blind or I don't see where any admins have responded to anything us little guys have said. So yes it really does "jive"
Dubbin1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dubbin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N/W Ohio
Posts: 1,514
 
Device(s): LG G2 Asus Transformer Pad TF300T Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 316
Thanked 1,478 Times in 764 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary alien View Post
Well, you've got the attention of our Site Admin (Phases) in there, so your's and other's continued feedback would still be taken under consideration.
Thank you for letting us know but it would be nice if he or someone higher up in the decision making would have at least responded to us. As far as we know we are just being blown off.
Dubbin1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,546
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,016
Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
Umm I'm either blind or I don't see where any admins have responded to anything us little guys have said. So yes it really does "jive"
Well, I posted the suggestion to change up the forum, and a couple weeks later it was changed. To me that is pretty good response. Now it's not what I originally suggested, but as I don't work behind the scenes, I can't really speak for the final decision, and what factors led to it, other than what was posted in the suggestion thread. But the way it is now makes sense at least to me, before I was always checking in two places to see if there was anywhere I could help, or wanted to chat, and now it's one.
AntimonyER is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,615
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,622
Thanked 14,085 Times in 6,879 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
Thank you for letting us know but it would be nice if he or someone higher up in the decision making would have at least responded to us. As far as we know we are just being blown off.
I'll make a post in that thread for you to at least bump the thread and bring to this thread to Phases attention.

I certainly can't speak for him, but I can assure you that since I've been here (signed-up in March 2010, but lurked since November '09), both he and Rob have our members' interest first and foremost on their minds.

Thanks!
scary alien is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
Dubbin1 (April 30th, 2012), trophynuts (April 30th, 2012)
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dubbin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N/W Ohio
Posts: 1,514
 
Device(s): LG G2 Asus Transformer Pad TF300T Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 316
Thanked 1,478 Times in 764 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
Well, I posted the suggestion to change up the forum, and a couple weeks later it was changed. To me that is pretty good response. Now it's not what I originally suggested, but as I don't work behind the scenes, I can't really speak for the final decision, and what factors led to it, other than what was posted in the suggestion thread. But the way it is now makes sense at least to me, before I was always checking in two places to see if there was anywhere I could help, or wanted to chat, and now it's one.
So you're the one to blame for this mess
Dubbin1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
~Play Nice~
 
Unforgiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Douglas, MA
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,693
 
Device(s): Note II, S3, Moto X Developer Edition, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13,123
Thanked 14,246 Times in 7,814 Posts
Default

To itiscosmo,
I am an owner of the VZW Galaxy Nexus, I can assure you that the members here will do our best to answer your questions regarding your new phone.

To the other folks regarding the reorganization, I can assure you that I took this discussion very seriously. I personally want the best experience for the members here. Anti wasn't responsible and is not to blame for the change, he started the thread, if anyone is to blame, it is me. I was probably the most active in the thread discussing the changes. Please see the sticky about the thread merge for a link regarding changes to the GNex forums.
__________________

Join the fun and make some friends, register for free here.
If someone helped, hit Thanks, if you see rude or abusive posts, spam, or threads that need staff attention, hit Report.
Site Rules / Android Forums FAQ
*** Do you want to talk guns? ***

Unforgiven is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,615
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,622
Thanked 14,085 Times in 6,879 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
So you're the one to blame for this mess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
To itiscosmo,
I am an owner of the VZW Galaxy Nexus, I can assure you that the members here will do our best to answer your questions regarding your new phone.

To the other folks regarding the reorganization, I can assure you that I took this discussion very seriously. I personally want the best experience for the members here. Anti wasn't responsible and is not to blame for the change, he started the thread, if anyone is to blame, it is me. I was probably the most active in the thread discussing the changes. Please see the sticky about the thread merge for a link regarding changes to the GNex forums.
I'm sure no one blames any specific member .

This is a problem with either many solutions (of which only one can be implemented at any one time), or one solution (which cannot please everyone).

Anyway, I highly encourage folks to continue to continue to voice their concerns and feedback in the aforementioned thread (Galaxy Nexus Subforum).

Thanks!
scary alien is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
AntimonyER (May 1st, 2012), lunatic59 (April 30th, 2012), NightAngel79 (April 30th, 2012), OfTheDamned (April 30th, 2012), Unforgiven (April 30th, 2012)
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Outatime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,180
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 789
Thanked 390 Times in 267 Posts
Default

The recent modifications to the way the GNex forums are handled are for the better. IMHO it was stupid to make the VZW section separate from the normal section. I had to keep up with both to find out what was going on. This is simple and easy. Nonroot. VZW root.

Not that anyone is keeping score, but I did suggest this format back when it was changed to the cumbersome, time consuming way and it was dismissed
__________________
Want to join Android Forums for free? Join here!
Outatime is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outatime For This Useful Post:
OfTheDamned (April 30th, 2012)
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Friendly Undead
 
OfTheDamned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 9,696
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3,714
Thanked 8,839 Times in 3,067 Posts
Default

I also have Gnex (obviously) and think this set up is better than many of the other divided forums we have now. With this phone the software is pretty much the same across the board so OS questions or "How do I do _____?" can be handled by anyone. The main difference is the radio technology and updates which hopefully won't be an issue for too long.

Eventually, once people start to get used to it you will see (VZW), (GSM) or (Sprint) in the thread title and it will make things much easier to identify.
__________________
Site Rules and Guidelines - Learn them, live them and love them.

Does a post have your blood boiling? Make a instead of a retort.
OfTheDamned is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OfTheDamned For This Useful Post:
Outatime (May 1st, 2012), scary alien (April 30th, 2012)
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
ritchea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: south central Florida
Posts: 125
 
Device(s): Nexus 7 FLO, KK 4.4.2; GNex deodx stock JB 4.22, N5, KK 4.4.2 stock
Carrier: GoPhone

Thanks: 12
Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Since I too am confused, I will post my question here. Where do I look when I want info related to the Google Play GN unlocked GSM version?

Currently just lurking but have been in forums related to original Pandigital Novel, 10" Toshiba Thrive, Samsung Exhibit II 4G, Coby Kyros 8", and Virgin Mobile Optimus V. I can work with any type of organization (or perceived lack thereof) since I have time to read. Owning the newer Optimus V, I know that as newer hardware versions arrive on the market, not to mention slightly different OS implementations, it's difficult for forums to keep up. From a semi-literate in Android (experience in rooting, roms, ADB, and terminal usage on those devices) point of view, we don't want to screw up our devices by getting the wrong set of info. So, any help is greatly appreciated.
ritchea is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dubbin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N/W Ohio
Posts: 1,514
 
Device(s): LG G2 Asus Transformer Pad TF300T Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 316
Thanked 1,478 Times in 764 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime View Post
The recent modifications to the way the GNex forums are handled are for the better. IMHO it was stupid to make the VZW section separate from the normal section. I had to keep up with both to find out what was going on. This is simple and easy. Nonroot. VZW root.

Not that anyone is keeping score, but I did suggest this format back when it was changed to the cumbersome, time consuming way and it was dismissed
I find the modifications stupid in the sense that when there is an update for one but not the other its just going to cause mass confusion. Same thing goes with accessories like cases and batteries, they are not the same.
Dubbin1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 246
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 99 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
I find the modifications stupid in the sense that when there is an update for one but not the other its just going to cause mass confusion. Same thing goes with accessories like cases and batteries, they are not the same.

Perhaps you can try to be a little less abrasive in your approach. You might try not attacking every admin here just because they don't do something the way you suggest.

Now to the over all topic at hand, IMO the general thread is fine the way it is. If someone suggests a new case or dock I know the first question (if not specified in the OP) will ask which version it fits, so right off the bat, that problem is solved.

As for the issue of OS updates, perhaps the admins add a "Stock" section to the root sections where folks rooted and unrooted can find info on the latest Official (and possibly leaked) OTAs from each carrier.
AJ McKay is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AJ McKay For This Useful Post:
quiklives (May 1st, 2012)
sponsored links
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dubbin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N/W Ohio
Posts: 1,514
 
Device(s): LG G2 Asus Transformer Pad TF300T Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 316
Thanked 1,478 Times in 764 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ McKay View Post
Perhaps you can try to be a little less abrasive in your approach. You might try not attacking every admin here just because they don't do something the way you suggest.

Now to the over all topic at hand, IMO the general thread is fine the way it is. If someone suggests a new case or dock I know the first question (if not specified in the OP) will ask which version it fits, so right off the bat, that problem is solved.

As for the issue of OS updates, perhaps the admins add a "Stock" section to the root sections where folks rooted and unrooted can find info on the latest Official (and possibly leaked) OTAs from each carrier.
I'm not attacking anyone, just stating what I see.
Dubbin1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bramsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Birmingham, MI
Posts: 1,513
 
Device(s): Moto Droid (Ret), DX (Ret), TBolt, MAXX didn't like ($ back), GNex, S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 243
Thanked 147 Times in 103 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Bramsy Send a message via Yahoo to Bramsy Send a message via Skype™ to Bramsy
Default

Shhh dub. Give Rob and the mods praise, and then some more and then a back rub.

Before they realize it, WE SIGNED UP and POST FOR FREE.

They see everything. They talk constantly. And I doubt they're raking in the dough like Fapple.

Join me and bow... or you'll get banned by OTD for malfeasance and possibly bit!

__________________
GOOGLE

hmm, deciding between the S3 and GNex...

Go Wings!
Bramsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 171
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
Default

I haven't been on the forums much lately because I got bored of trying to go between the different sections. This layout is far better and I'm sure I'll be looking in a bit more regularly again.

Remember also that people tend to complain more than they praise, so for everyone on here who says they don't like it there may well be several others who prefer the change. Not brushing anyone off, and of course this argument could be used to justify just about anything, but worth thinking about all the same...
idic is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idic For This Useful Post:
Outatime (May 1st, 2012), quiklives (May 1st, 2012), Unforgiven (May 1st, 2012)
Reply

Galaxy Nexus
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Galaxy Nexus is the third official phone contracted by Google and the first phone to come with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Specs include a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 16/32GB of internal storage, a 4.65 inch 720p HD Super AMOLED... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.