Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Verizon 4.0.4 update.

I have rooted and unlocked Galaxy Nexus, but I run stock ICS. I know that Verizon already officially released 4.0.4 several weeks ago, but I have not get the notification yet.

Is it because I have rooted and unlocked phone?

Advertisements
Astroprojector is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cam
Member
 
Cam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 443
 
Device(s): VZW Galaxy Nexus, Nexus7, Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 562
Thanked 723 Times in 313 Posts
Default

Verizon hasn't released the update yet...
Cam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What about this:

Handful of Lucky DL Readers Receive Android 4.0.4 IMM76K Update on Verizon Galaxy Nexus? (Updated) – Droid Life
Astroprojector is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Outatime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,340
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx, Moto 360
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 839
Thanked 417 Times in 289 Posts
Default

I think the operative word there is "handful."
__________________
Want to join Android Forums for free? Join here!
Outatime is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Outatime For This Useful Post:
Connectz (May 14th, 2012), Crashumbc (May 14th, 2012), dwilliam16 (May 17th, 2012), jkc120 (May 14th, 2012), Lucky Armpit (May 15th, 2012)
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 125
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE running LiquidSmooth v1.4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Verizon is doing a beta testing through a "handful" of users of the 4.0.4 update on their LTE version of the phone. If they get alot of complaints about it, they won't do a massive OTA update to the rest of the GNex users on Verizon. Most likely, they won't receive alot of complaints and release it to rest of the public.

But, I think your situation is different because you are rooted and unlocked. I could be wrong, but I think you'll never get the OTA update because of this. You'll have to manually flash the update yourself, which works out nicely because you'll have the update much earlier than if you were to wait around for Verizon to send it to you. Of course, that's assuming you flash it sometime within the next couple of weeks, or months (who knows how long Verizon will take to send out 4.0.4).
viebroccoli is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
pool_shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,412
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 71
Thanked 502 Times in 377 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to pool_shark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viebroccoli View Post
Verizon is doing a beta testing through a "handful" of users of the 4.0.4 update on their LTE version of the phone. If they get alot of complaints about it, they won't do a massive OTA update to the rest of the GNex users on Verizon. Most likely, they won't receive alot of complaints and release it to rest of the public.

But, I think your situation is different because you are rooted and unlocked. I could be wrong, but I think you'll never get the OTA update because of this. You'll have to manually flash the update yourself, which works out nicely because you'll have the update much earlier than if you were to wait around for Verizon to send it to you. Of course, that's assuming you flash it sometime within the next couple of weeks, or months (who knows how long Verizon will take to send out 4.0.4).
Unless things have changed, rooting alone doesn't prevent OTA updates. Deleting preinstalled apps used to cause the updates to fail.

Lots of people with root would accept the OTA updates then complain they no longer had root access.
pool_shark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,642
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,041
Thanked 9,353 Times in 5,034 Posts
Default

I have already flashed the radios from that OTA, and the first day I was getting 4G where I previously wasn't. But now I am back to the same old story. So not sure what to think about the radio portion of the update, it could be an improvement, but YMMV will probably be a better statement.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Just got off the phone with VZW tech. I was reporting random *22899 dialing. She put me on hold to contact Samsung for a solution. She came back and said Samsung told her this is one of several known issues that will be corrected with a software update "this month." She couldn't be more specific than that with timing. It sounded like Samsung knew more about the update timing than VZW though. Only a couple weeks left of this month... I'll believe it when I see it.
msaly is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msaly For This Useful Post:
Lucky Armpit (May 15th, 2012)
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
wrecklass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 118
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaly View Post
Just got off the phone with VZW tech. I was reporting random *22899 dialing. She put me on hold to contact Samsung for a solution. She came back and said Samsung told her this is one of several known issues that will be corrected with a software update "this month." She couldn't be more specific than that with timing. It sounded like Samsung knew more about the update timing than VZW though. Only a couple weeks left of this month... I'll believe it when I see it.
The fact that Samsung knows more about the update than a VZW phone rep is hardly surprising.
wrecklass is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrecklass For This Useful Post:
Lucky Armpit (May 15th, 2012), scottwrightnc (May 18th, 2012)
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,642
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,041
Thanked 9,353 Times in 5,034 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecklass View Post
The fact that Samsung knows more about the update than a VZW phone rep is hardly surprising.
Not sure if it is any more reliable however.
AntimonyER is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
trophynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SouthEastern US
Posts: 5,607
 
Device(s): Iphone 5 Moto G LTE
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,843
Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

at this point any date that a Samsung or VZW rep gives you for an update should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
trophynuts is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trophynuts For This Useful Post:
dwilliam16 (May 17th, 2012)
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cam
Member
 
Cam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 443
 
Device(s): VZW Galaxy Nexus, Nexus7, Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 562
Thanked 723 Times in 313 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophynuts View Post
at this point any date that a Samsung or VZW rep gives you for an update should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
When it comes to VZW, it seems that copious amounts of salt are mandatory.
Cam is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cam For This Useful Post:
dwilliam16 (May 17th, 2012), Lucky Armpit (May 15th, 2012), trophynuts (May 16th, 2012)
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 807
 
Device(s): Galaxy Tab 10.1 Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 133
Thanked 161 Times in 105 Posts
Default

I've heard "this month" more times that I can count.

I'm convinced that they are pointing to a calendar on their cubical wall that is opened to July or possibly August as they are saying it.
ckelly33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
JDUB
 
Watson111505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 115
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, SGS4
Carrier: VERIZON

Thanks: 34
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post
I've heard "this month" more times that I can count.

I'm convinced that they are pointing to a calendar on their cubical wall that is opened to July or possibly August as they are saying it.
I couldn't agree with you more......
Watson111505 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 686
 
Device(s): HTC Eris= retired Fascinate>exchanged for Charge= retired Verizon Galaxy Nexus= exchanged for Motoro
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 80 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
When it comes to VZW, it seems that copious amounts of salt are mandatory.
Actually a SALT MINE....
Blue218 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue218 For This Useful Post:
dwilliam16 (May 17th, 2012), jbdan (May 15th, 2012)
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
snuggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago/NW Indiana
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): Note 2, ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T (junk) now a paper weight! Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 91
Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
Default

I get my update when I purchase the Gnex-2
snuggles is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snuggles For This Useful Post:
jbdan (May 15th, 2012)
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
vanack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 57
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 Nexus 7 (2013)
Carrier: Straight Talk

Thanks: 25
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Looking for an OTA update a few months after JB rolls out!
vanack is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vanack For This Useful Post:
jbdan (May 15th, 2012)
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Smartphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 246
 
Device(s): GNex (rooted)- Dinc, Eris Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 99
Thanked 224 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Isn't the advantage of having a Nexus that the updates come directly from Google? Why is Samsung or Verizon even involved? BTW, I am already rooted and on 4.04 but my wife is still waiting.
Smartphone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
trophynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SouthEastern US
Posts: 5,607
 
Device(s): Iphone 5 Moto G LTE
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,843
Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartphone View Post
Isn't the advantage of having a Nexus that the updates come directly from Google? Why is Samsung or Verizon even involved? BTW, I am already rooted and on 4.04 but my wife is still waiting.
that is if you own a GSM nexus. The other advantage is the fact that it is not locked down.
trophynuts is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Galaxy Nexus
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Galaxy Nexus is the third official phone contracted by Google and the first phone to come with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Specs include a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 16/32GB of internal storage, a 4.65 inch 720p HD Super AMOLED... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.